Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I had the purple one but later replaced it with this tacky piece of poo poo:

that is probably the funniest game boy i've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

absolutely anything posted:

that is probably the funniest game boy i've ever seen

Here's the back:

here's the box (the guy on the screen is an olympic swimmer, not some random skinhead)

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

here's the box (the guy on the screen is an olympic swimmer, not some random skinhead)

Psst, it's not too late to say it's the lead singer of Midnight Oil!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly I bet that thing is worth a lot of money, Australian exclusives tend to be hard to find, even in Australia (due to how much their games distribution apparently sucks.)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Here's the back:

lmfao that thing's dumb in every way possible, it's great

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cliff Racer posted:

Honestly I bet that thing is worth a lot of money, Australian exclusives tend to be hard to find, even in Australia (due to how much their games distribution apparently sucks.)

Last time I checked it went for maybe $150AUD boxed. I don't think it's very rare - I sure as hell wasn't looking for one when I got mine, it's just what they had at the time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cliff Racer posted:

Value (based on ebay sold listings, all BIN since no auctions were had recently:) Anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars for lose ones, 240 for the lone CIB one that sold.

Less than I expected honestly, thats hardly much more than the regular world wide release colors.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Beyond Good and Evil was made free for Xbox One and i haden't played it since it came out. Replaying it again, i forgot that there was a magical time where getting an Ubisoft game meant you were getting something cool and unique. Aspects of that time are still there in bits and pieces int the Ubisoft of nowadays but you don't get anything that just oozes charm and personality like BGaE does.

When's the sequel Ubisoft? Get us another Rayman game while you're at it :(

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm considering getting the Retro Freak after hearing all the buzz about it, but I have one question: do I need the original cartridge to download and play the games, or can I play them off the SD card through "other" means?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Willo567 posted:

I'm considering getting the Retro Freak after hearing all the buzz about it, but I have one question: do I need the original cartridge to download and play the games, or can I play them off the SD card through "other" means?

I believe it's more open than the Retron so you should be able to drop ROMs on it without modification.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

actually my previous post was slightly wrong, it did also come in clear purple and I vaguely remember opting for solid because it looked more low-key

Hooray! I wasn't nuts! I have to stop doubting myself when it comes to video game memory.

Edit: so yeah, the Game Boy Color was only available in purple at first, further cementing nintendo's fascination with the color that spanned from 1991 to 2001.

The Tetris DX blurb reminds me to ask why the original music wasn't in the game? It's the one thing I hate about that version.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 24, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Beyond Good and Evil was made free for Xbox One and i haden't played it since it came out. Replaying it again, i forgot that there was a magical time where getting an Ubisoft game meant you were getting something cool and unique. Aspects of that time are still there in bits and pieces int the Ubisoft of nowadays but you don't get anything that just oozes charm and personality like BGaE does.

When's the sequel Ubisoft? Get us another Rayman game while you're at it :(

They keep saying it exists, no really, we promise, even though Michael Ancel keeps getting pushed to other projects.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Here's the back:

I've got some ads for Michael Klim shilling the Gold Game Boy Pocket (which I had!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlYM5XOQEeA

And the gold N64 controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clExwASZKs

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The Tetris DX blurb reminds me to ask why the original music wasn't in the game? It's the one thing I hate about that version.

Maybe they thought that everyone was sick of it by that point. It definitely wasn't a licensing issue since it's a traditional song.

Have a video of the Red Army Choir singing the Tetris theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W80xBX0jK-c

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Twenty-five years ago, I was four and the only video games I knew about were on NES or Gameboy. I don't think I even knew what an SNES was until 1994 when I was seven. I think I knew what a Genesis was by then.

Either way, I pretty much missed that entire generation of video games when it was contemporary. All hail the PlayStation.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Atomic Purple FTW. I wasn't keen on it at the time but still used my Atomic Purple N64 controller because I figured I should wear it out before using my gray controller, well it is still 100% functional almost 19 years later. Now I like the color and even got the Atomic Purple GBC and installed a front light mod. I wish I got the Atomic Purple looking GB Boy Colour instead of the green one I have.

Also, I have been watching Classic Game Room/Lord Karnage's videos for awhile now but just recently picked up Earth Defense Force 4.1 for my PS4 and 2017 for my Vita, and I am hooked (all that waiting I did for No Man's Sky and instead of playing that I am shooting ants). EDF! EDF! Maybe I should look into playing Truxton as well...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The coolest LE GBC is the system in the Sakura Taisen GB bundle:

It even has a matching Pocket Pikachu-esque companion device:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Which product is best for converting RGB SCART to Ypbpr?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Monopthalmus posted:

Which product is best for converting RGB SCART to Ypbpr?

This one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321984634001

There are cheaper ones that cost around $50 but they're trash

e: there used to be a US seller of this model but now the only one I can find is this one in the UK, it will work fine but you will need an adapter for the power plug. the cheaper ones are bad because the colors need to be manually adjusted with a ton of pots and you can never get it looking exactly right

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

d0s posted:

This one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321984634001

There are cheaper ones that cost around $50 but they're trash

e: there used to be a US seller of this model but now the only one I can find is this one in the UK, it will work fine but you will need an adapter for the power plug. the cheaper ones are bad because the colors need to be manually adjusted with a ton of pots and you can never get it looking exactly right

Hmmm. I wonder if that's $100 better saved and just put towards a PMV. Thank you for pointing out the right one, though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Monopthalmus posted:

Hmmm. I wonder if that's $100 better saved and just put towards a PMV. Thank you for pointing out the right one, though.

I only use a SCART-YUV converter because I like large CRTs and it's hard (and expensive) to find a 27"+ PVM, but if you're gonna be using it with a smaller TV then yeah probably best to find a PVM

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Here's the back:

It looks pretty terrible, but I can't lie. I totally would have bought a red and white Canadian GBC if it existed.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Anybody familiar with the model 1 Sega CD hardware? Whenever I boot it up, it makes this horrible grinding noise. Odd thing is that it only does this when it's warming up initially after not being used for a while (by this I mean several hours at least). Afterwards it never makes that grinding noise again. It plays game with no problem otherwise. Tried looking it up online but apparently everybody else's grinding noise issue is associated with the CD assembly failing or whatever, but couldn't find anybody having this particular issue.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 24, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If it's just while it's spinning up a disk and not the tray opening it might just need some oiling in a couple of spots. Apparently the tray contact switches can do that too, and they're not terribly hard to get to and clean up.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Elliotw2 posted:

If it's just while it's spinning up a disk and not the tray opening it might just need some oiling in a couple of spots. Apparently the tray contact switches can do that too, and they're not terribly hard to get to and clean up.

It doesn't happen while spinning up a disk, or when the tray opens/closes, or when it's reading data. It only makes that grinding noise when it is powered on for the first time in a long while, kind of like it's warming up. Then it no longer makes that noise. Might go ahead and oil up some spots anyway and see if that does anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mace Bacon posted:

I've got some ads for Michael Klim shilling the Gold Game Boy Pocket (which I had!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlYM5XOQEeA

And the gold N64 controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clExwASZKs

A gold N64 controller will be mine, someday :shepspends:. When I get around to buying one. And then I just need to pray for a Starlight Gold Gamecube controller that doesn't cost triple-digits.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Fortune article on the SNES http://fortune.com/2016/08/23/snes-25-year-anniversary/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Willo567 posted:

I own one and can confirm you can just copy ROMs to the microSD card as long as they go in the right folder.

Actual Japanese games will included additional information like release date and company behind the game, but games from any region will work.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 24, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I bet Sakura Taisen lives on in pachislot form, just like all the old franchises that deserve better.

Cheaper RGB-YUV doable if latency is no problem at all I figure, but I wonder how hard that will hit the signal strength to open up the passthrough of the PVM. Hard to find RGB-Scart splitters these days, 1x2 would do the job.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm still knee deep in debugging my N64 SYNC issues and it's thrown me into the insane rabbit hole that is CSYNC/sync-on-composite/sync-as-luma. I'll probably do a boring technical write-up once I wrap it up, but for now I'm hoping to get just this clarified: Does the XRGB-mini actually require CSYNC, or can it can accept both sync-on-composite and sync-on-luma to some degree? I first thought it was the former at first, meaning that you'd be required to have a Sync Stripper somewhere along the line. But it appears that this was only true for older firmware on the mini; the current iteration can handle it just fine but it man require adjusting the sync levels manually.

My current working theory is that the sync-on-luma from my N64 is not arriving at the XRGB properly. Perhaps because the sync stripper in my current adapter going into the XRGB is interfering with it or otherwise not cleaning the luma properly to get HSYNC/VSYNC or that the stripper is not doing anything at all and in fact it's the XRGB itself that is screwing up the sync signal, meaning I need a new sync stripper. Or even because the N64 itself is not outputting luma properly, which I will be able to test when I get a S-Video cable.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yes, but what does it 8-bit do?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It 8-bit does what Nintendon't.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Yes, but what does it 8-bit do?

If you hold it up to your ear it sounds like the ocean waves sound effect from Final Fantasy 1.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

CIB X'Eye :stare:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787634

edit: vvvv ah my bad, I got excited

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 24, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Joe did mention it and gave the Retro thread a heads up.

The Joe Man posted:

Posted the thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787634

I'm outta here for now; thanks fellas!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Good news! Krikzz has returned from vacation and put out a new ED GBA update that "Improve[s] SD cards compatibility".

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5509.0

Just pop the update file on your SD card and... oh.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

xamphear posted:

Good news! Krikzz has returned from vacation and put out a new ED GBA update that "Improve[s] SD cards compatibility".

Reminds me of my motherboard. Released a BIOS update to support 3rd gen Intel Core processors...but you need a 2nd gen processor to actually install the update initially. My brother built a system and had to "borrow" a friend's processor for like 20 minutes to do the update.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

xamphear posted:

Here hoping the new models for the Everdrive have this pre-installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I only just heard about it yesterday, so did the thread hear about or talk about retroUSB's upcoming AVS console yet? http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78

It sounds amazing, and apparently it actually uses a real chip that can behave like a real NES and you can set the clock speed differently to run PAL games on an NTSC or vice-versa. So it's not a poor emulator clone like a Retron or whatever. Also it has HDMI out and doesn't cost loving $400, nor does it cannibalize existing hardware.

• Locked thread