Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm skeptical about running Vlad2 without eliminators! You'll have to let us know how it goes for you...

Also you'll get much better results from a Berserker on Malakov than on the Man-O-War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Sure, but Malakov doesn't have desperate pace, and if he dies the berserker goes inert. I use the berserker as something that's pretty expendable, and I don't think malakov does enough on his own to be given an expendable warjack. Wheras the kovnik gives me enough mileage out of desperate pace and the occasional slam. A boosted hand cannon is great but I really like what the kovnik brings.

Anyway, berserker + redline with powerup focus is nearly identical to assail + jack marshal, so malakov only pulls ahead when he's allocating more focus to it and risking an explosion, and allocating more focus means he's not outputting much with his hand cannon or he's not camping much. Another benefit is that the berserker on the marshal ignores cortex hits, which is good since it only has 2 boxes. I have a cygnar-heavy meta and so I can send him at a lancer and not worry too much, and disruption does nothing. Redline's damage on the other hand can quickly start to hurt considering the berserker is already fragile.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 23, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

gannyGrabber posted:

I'm skeptical about running Vlad2 without eliminators! You'll have to let us know how it goes for you...

I mean, to each his own and it's great to experiment, but I honestly think only subhuman trash would ever run a V2 list without Elims.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

S.J. posted:

What's more important, a couple bucks or hella W's?

Hella dubs bruh. Hella dubs.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I plan on trying it both ways. First with the berserker, then later I'll replace the berserker with elims and a war dog to see what I like better. Berserker has consistently been a really solid piece though in my journeyman list list, with 3 jacks, 2 drakhuns, and 7 manowars on the field it should turn into a definite box skew.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
So I actually won my first non battlebox game tonight. Felt really good even if it was close.

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points

(Harbinger 1) The Harbinger of Menoth [+24]
- Castigator [12]
- Vanquisher [17]
The Covenant of Menoth [4]
Wrack [1]
Choir of Menoth (max) [6]
Exemplar Bastions (max) [16]
Holy Zealots (min) [8]
Idrian Skirmishers (max) [15]

Was fighting a friend with trolls. My army is a bit scattershot because I've been picking up things here and there that looked neat or were recommended to me by others. Most specifically I wanted to see what units jived with me before I bought attachments I would end up not using. Some highlights:

1. Zealots held point A surprisingly well and was basically why I won the game and racked up points. Thanks to the Avatar being planted on point B and using Gaze they had to move toward the center, leaving the outside free.

2. In a stroke of luck, the Skirmishers were a godsend. only 4 left, with 2 in melee, against a pack of warriors. They missed 3 attacks against the skirmishers in a row, no buffs or anything special, just bad dice rolls for my opponent, so they kept point C contested.

3. Opponent attempted to deal with the avatar by having a mauler punch it to death, then finally threw it. Took a lot of damage, and the movement busted, but the arms survived. Next turn the Avatar got payback and cut the Mauler to ribbons.

4. Got real close when a Bomber tried to assassinate the harbinger because I let her get too close to the action. She hung on with only 2 hitboxes and my opponent conceeded, since he knew I'd just pull her out of the battle where he couldn't reach her and the last point would be earned eventually.

After a few games that were disasters it felt good to finally put what I learned together and make use of menoth's synergy and win. I still made mistakes but I know it's another way to keep improving.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 23, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

RagnarokAngel posted:

So I actually won my first non battlebox game tonight. Felt really good even if it was close.

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points

(Harbinger 1) The Harbinger of Menoth [+24]
- Castigator [12]
- Vanquisher [17]
The Covenant of Menoth [4]
Wrack [1]
Choir of Menoth (max) [6]
Exemplar Bastions (max) [16]
Holy Zealots (min) [8]
Idrian Skirmishers (max) [15]

Was fighting a friend with trolls. My army is a bit scattershot because I've been picking up things here and there that looked neat or were recommended to me by others. Most specifically I wanted to see what units jived with me before I bought attachments I would end up not using. Some highlights:

1. Zealots held point A surprisingly well and was basically why I won the game and racked up points. Thanks to the Avatar being planted on point B and using Gaze they had to move toward the center, leaving the outside free.

2. In a stroke of luck, the Skirmishers were a godsend. only 4 left, with 2 in melee, against a pack of skirmishers. They missed 3 attacks against the skirmishers in a row, no buffs or anything special, just bad dice rolls for my opponent, so they kept point C contested.

3. Opponent attempted to deal with the avatar by having a mauler punch it to death, then finally threw it. Took a lot of damage, and the movement busted, but the arms survived. Next turn the Avatar got payback and cut the Mauler to ribbons.

4. Got real close when a Bomber tried to assassinate the harbinger because I let her get too close to the action. She hung on with only 2 hitboxes and my opponent conceeded, since he knew I'd just pull her out of the battle where he couldn't reach her and the last point would be earned eventually.

After a few games that were disasters it felt good to finally put what I learned together and make use of menoth's synergy and win. I still made mistakes but I know it's another way to keep improving.

gently caress yes. That sounds like a great game. Harbinger has a lot of game against Hordes in general, but you do need to be careful of guns!

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Say Nyss hunters are the worst to assemble and transport but I just got 3 units of cephalix overlords in and those stupid little back harnesses will end me.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

S.J. posted:

Uhlan's and Storm Lances give a wide variety lists some hard hitting stuff that threats hella far without having to worry as much as before about clearing 30 infantry models out of the way. They're also very resistant to shooting.

Having seen fury'd storm lance's completely wreck my poo poo from across the table, yeah, they bad bois. But I think their electro leaps + laddermore benefits easily outstrip uhlans on the offensive side. Wish to hell uhlans were just ps14 and had brutal charge. The lance rule is hot garbage and I hate it.

Ganny, have you considered malakov with uhlans? If you can clear LOS and drop the veil, uhlans can get really, really deep and make some spiffy impact attacks along the way (plus, would impact attacks benefit from backstab? Seems they would)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

lokipunk posted:

Say Nyss hunters are the worst to assemble and transport but I just got 3 units of cephalix overlords in and those stupid little back harnesses will end me.

You can cross the harnesses into an X. This gives them an extra point of contact to glue / pin, but also makes them look a little more aggressive.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

albany academy posted:

Having seen fury'd storm lance's completely wreck my poo poo from across the table, yeah, they bad bois. But I think their electro leaps + laddermore benefits easily outstrip uhlans on the offensive side. Wish to hell uhlans were just ps14 and had brutal charge. The lance rule is hot garbage and I hate it.
(Melee) cavalry is just very strong in general imo. Even the Destors were okay when I proxied them. Not quite good enough to really consider buying them, and they look like poo poo next to Storm Lances, but not as worthless as I first thought when I looked at their stupid rules.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

albany academy posted:

Ganny, have you considered malakov with uhlans? If you can clear LOS and drop the veil, uhlans can get really, really deep and make some spiffy impact attacks along the way (plus, would impact attacks benefit from backstab? Seems they would)

I've never really conaidered uhlans, period. They would get backstab on impact attacks, but I can't think of a situation where you'd actually get that to happen.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Even Steelheads Cavalry? :smith:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Iceclaw posted:

Even Steelheads Cavalry? :smith:

Steelhead cav are good in a defensive list, I would think. Maybe with gorten? Solid ground to stop the halbs from being blasted off the table, then landslide your opponent into you and go to town with that delicious flank bonus. Could be fun!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

*throws bane riders in the garbage*

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

gannyGrabber posted:

Steelhead cav are good in a defensive list, I would think. Maybe with gorten? Solid ground to stop the halbs from being blasted off the table, then landslide your opponent into you and go to town with that delicious flank bonus. Could be fun!

Bu... but my Steelheads theme list :smith:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Does anyone have advice on the targeted stripping of paint from PP plastics? A year and a half ago I thinned paint wrong on the tunics of my Exemplar Errants and made soap which to this day has not fully dried. I'd rather not strip all of them clean and have to start fresh but I'm not sure if I'm going to have any other option. I've blotted some of the soapaint off a few of them, but not enough on all to be able to paint over with confidence of it drying. I wonder if a coat of Dullcoat might seal them enough to finish them. Any helpful hints?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've never tried stripping just part of a model. It sounds like more effort than stripping the whole thing and starting over. Maybe I'm wrong.

Brush on whatever solvent you have handy then try to gently scrape off the paint? I'd be worried about the solvent leaving behind residue though. I'd normally wash it off with soap but I don't actually know what would happen if you washed a painted model.

Maybe you could scrape off the sticky part?

I don't think I'd want to spray dull coat over it since the spray has solvents in it that might react weirdly with whatever is causing it to not dry.

Maybe just wipe off as much as you can then paint over it with a brush on primer?

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

(Melee) cavalry is just very strong in general imo. Even the Destors were okay when I proxied them. Not quite good enough to really consider buying them, and they look like poo poo next to Storm Lances, but not as worthless as I first thought when I looked at their stupid rules.

I mean, all of the cavalry is going to look like poo poo when compared to the best cavalry in the game. Can say that about anything in warmahordes.

Saalkin posted:

*throws bane riders in the garbage*

Make a video where you light them in fire to Viking Metal. Do eet.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

I've never really conaidered uhlans, period. They would get backstab on impact attacks, but I can't think of a situation where you'd actually get that to happen.

I just figured if you can backstab a colossal with a drakhun it might also be good with a full unit of heavy calv

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I kinda forgot that Steelhead Cavalry exists, but are Bane Riders really that bad? Ghostly cavalry doesn't sound bad, at least.

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

I mean, all of the cavalry is going to look like poo poo when compared to the best cavalry in the game. Can say that about anything in warmahordes.
You're not wrong, but Destors and Storm Lances are very similar. Except Storm Lances are really good, while Destors are okay but far from amazing, and a rules nightmare on top of it.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Ghostly cavalry doesn't sound bad, at least.

They lost an 1" on melee, and their curse doesn't help them with speed anymore, on a charge its only really useful for the impact attacks. They just got way worse then they used to be is all, and compared to the soul hunters, I dunno why I'd take em.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

albany academy posted:

I just figured if you can backstab a colossal with a drakhun it might also be good with a full unit of heavy calv

You can pull the backstab off on the collossal simply because its' base is so large, it's not a veil of mists trick. A unit of uhlans would still probably only get 1 guy in a spot where he could backstab, and he's not a weapon master so the Drakhun is still swinging harder.

Also I'm not paying 100 bux for uhlans gently caress thaaaaat.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Iceclaw posted:

Bu... but my Steelheads theme list :smith:

Throw some trenchers in there and form a cloud wall to get them all there instead then.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

GoodBee posted:

I don't think I'd want to spray dull coat over it since the spray has solvents in it that might react weirdly with whatever is causing it to not dry.

Maybe just wipe off as much as you can then paint over it with a brush on primer?

Well the not drying was caused by my thinning the paint with pure acrylic medium instead of diluting it 10:1 with water because I'm amazing. I've been blotting the back capes with one of the foam inserts from the blister packs, which has by and large made them less tacky but hasn't entirely eliminated the problem in more than one or two. The other problem is that the front tabards don't have the broad spaces that allow for that dabbing to work. Maybe I'll give one of the tabards a good wipe down with some 90% rubbing alcohol and try to scrape the paint away with something plastic so I don't damage the surface.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you are trying to remove a specific area you can try just going to town on it with a toothbrush. It shouldn't damage the plastic itself but should rub off the paint. You can localize the removal, and then you would need to re-prime and repaint that space. I would just redo everything myself, but I can understand not wanting to lose all the other work.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I want to make a Damiano kingmaker list with steelhead cavalry and get their solo for free.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

rantmo posted:

Does anyone have advice on the targeted stripping of paint from PP plastics? A year and a half ago I thinned paint wrong on the tunics of my Exemplar Errants and made soap which to this day has not fully dried. I'd rather not strip all of them clean and have to start fresh but I'm not sure if I'm going to have any other option. I've blotted some of the soapaint off a few of them, but not enough on all to be able to paint over with confidence of it drying. I wonder if a coat of Dullcoat might seal them enough to finish them. Any helpful hints?

Honestly I think stripping anything with that kind of precision would entail more labor than just stripping them entirely and repainting them.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So because of minimarket's summer sale, I now own alexia1.

What kind of mischief can they get into with valachev? Spell warded, so no upkeeps or battle lust or anything. So what feats and other stuff go well with them?

Unlike total obedience, Irusk1's feat doesn't specify living and so could clog the field with supertough jams. Malakov can give them prowl or backstab, and have a huge amount of sucker targets. Zerkova2 can give them two zephyrs and a free craft thrall, or a zephyr and a charge. And sacrificial lamb doesn't target so can be used on risen.. Anyone else that could work with them?

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 24, 2016

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

chutche2 posted:

What kind of mischief can they get into with valachev? Spell warded, so no upkeeps or battle lust or anything. So what feats and other stuff go well with them?

Unlike total obedience, Irusk1's feat doesn't specify living and so could clog the field with supertough jams. Malakov can give them prowl or backstab, and have a huge amount of sucker targets. Zerkova2 can give them two zephyrs and a free craft thrall, or a zephyr and a charge. And sacrificial lamb doesn't target so can be used on risen.. Anyone else that could work with them?

Just a reminder that you can get around spell ward by moving Alexia out of formation (Valchev is the unit leader)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Huh, that's brilliant. What kind of upkeeps would be good for that? I don't think I'd want Fury because I want to keep her at def 14. Occultation or Silence of Death maybe. Iron Flesh would mean they can't get wiped out by blasts. Whatever it is needs to be something I can upkeep, because I don't want to waste alexia's activations on advancing back into formation past turn 1. SInce you have to deploy in formation, I'd have to deploy them in formation, then run her out turn 1 and have something cast on the unit, then turn 2 she won't be able to activate.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 24, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Had a fun game tonight against one of our PGs, Kaelyssa vs Stryker2

Lists:

Kaelyssa
-Banshee
-Hydra
-Hydra(hail hydra?)
Max Sentinels W/ UA
Magister
Heavy Rifle Team
Eiryss1
3 Arcanists
Lanyssa
Stormfall Archers

vs

Stryker2
-Thorn
-Gallant
-Centurian
-Squire
Jr
-Sentinel
Mechanics
Runewood
Max Storm Lances
Laddermoor
Lanyssa

First turn mostly consisted of both of us just moving up. He did arc rebuke onto my sentinels(which had blur on them at the time), but I wasn't too concerned about it as I wasn't planning on running or charging turn 2.

Turn 2 I took shots at thorn with my hydras and banshee, I did some damage but I mostly spent the turn positioning for turn 3. My sentinels mini-feated because the storm lances would have been able to advance into them. I put refuge on Eiryss and had her shoot Gallant and then move back. Kaelyssa feated. His turn 2 he just moved stuff around, trying to prevent me from scoring the next turn.

Turn 3 I murdered Thorn with the banshee and sentinels. The sentinels did some damage to the storm lances but not enough, and put a little bit of damage on Gallant. I used Eiryss to disrupt the centurian and then got a lucky crit stationary on it with lanyssa. The hydras took pot shots at stuff but didn't do much damage. The heavy rifle team shot a storm lance but rolled like crap. His turn Gallant and the storm lances completely ripped the sentinels apart. With his feat he was able to kill the entire unit of sentinels. He missed a crucial attack from his feat on my magister by one of his storm lances, which would have leaped into Eiryss with a good chance of killing her. He made a critical mistake of leaving Stryker within aiming range and LOS of Eiryss, who admittedly was engaged by a storm lance.

My turn Kaelyssa charged the storm lance engaging my magister and Eiryss. Bad dice happened but I managed to kill it with my last focus. The magister failed to hit the sentinel with a force bolt, so a hydra charged the sentinel. Boost to hit on attack one, boost to hit on attack 2, grab and smash head butt and hit knocking it down and removing his shield guard. Eiryss aimed a distruption bolt at Stryker who was on a hill, needing 7 to hit, and rolling 7, dropping his focus off him. Aim and shoot him with the banshee to knock him down(banshee was also on a hill so he no longer had elevation, meaning it was RAT 7 vs DEF 16), also doing significant damage despite his high armor and arcane shield. Shoot him with the second hydra and kill him. If that hydra hadn't killed him I still had all 4 stormfalls alive and they were all in range to move up and shoot brutal shots into the knocked down caster.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

gannyGrabber posted:

Just a reminder that you can get around spell ward by moving Alexia out of formation (Valchev is the unit leader)

Off the top of my head, this is the only case where I'd be calling my opponent out for abusing rules as written. The unit is very obviously not meant to receive any spell buffs. Be prepared for some flak when you start doing that around your gaming venue.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 24, 2016

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Luebbi posted:

Off the top of my head, this is the only case where I'd be calling my opponent out for abusing rules as written. The unit is very obviously not mesnt to receive any spell buffs; if my opponent would pull that crap on me, I'd end the game (outside of a tournament).

If it wasn't meant to receive buffs, it wouldn't be "granted". You could kill alexia off entirely and have 20 grunts that could be buffed however you want if that's your thing. Doing this trick means alexia is losing at least one activation, she's either not advancing as far up the field as you want or not getting off a create thrall.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
I went with my gut last week and played the following in the modified JML my store is hosting; it did great.

I was actually able to pull off the double Shadowfire to clear LOS through two heavies, then have Eiryss1 strip Kozlov of 4 Focus he camped, then have Caine2 pump him full of lead. I had to buy my buddy a beer afterwards to make up for that.

50 points posted:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cygnar
Caster: 1 / 1
Caine2 (Captain Allister Caine) (-27 Pts.)
* Centurion (17 Pts.)
* Hunter (11 Pts.)
* Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (4 Pts.)
Journeyman Warcaster (4 Pts.)
* Charger (9 Pts.)
Gun Mage Captain Adept (5 Pts.)
Gun Mage Captain Adept (5 Pts.)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (7 Pts.)
Trencher Infantry (Leader and 5) (10 Pts.)
* Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper (5 Pts.)

Tomorrow is Day 1 of Week 5, up to 65 points. I'm definitely going to Max the Trenchers, since they are so dope, so that leaves me 9 points to fill in. Do I go with Rangers for +2 to hit? or Sentinel to Shield Guard Caine and my important solos?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I got pig fever and the only cure for it is bacon by the bucket load!

Objective: Stockpile
Lord Carver, BMMD, Esq. III - WB: +28
- Targ - PC: 4
- Battle Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Road Hog - PC: 16

Efaarit Scouts - PC: 6
Maximus - PC: 4

Farrow Brigands - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Farrow Brigand Warlord - PC: 4
Farrow Slaughterhousers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 11

This is my big armour crack list to handle all the jack or beast spam lists. Everything already hits hard and takes it up to 11 on feat turn.

Pairing this with:

Armory - Steamroller Objective

Helga the Conquerer - WB: +29
- Battle Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Road Hog - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)

Maximus - PC: 4
Wrong Eye - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw: 17
- Snapjaw

Croak Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 17

This is all about going fast and clearing zones/flags on feat turn.

Def 15 Arm 15 under Star Crossed gives me a froggy errection and I hope I never have to see it across the table from me.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I haven't played palexia in mk3 yet, but irusk1 does seem like the best choice. 2 would also be decent for feat + solid ground, even though you're not getting tough out of it. Butcher1 can also hand out IF and his feat would make her very scary, but you'd have to be running some chafe to feed her as well.

Just remember that your risen are there to eat up your opponent's clock, not your own!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

chutche2 posted:

Cheers for the headup about the sale.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

chutche2 posted:

If it wasn't meant to receive buffs, it wouldn't be "granted". You could kill alexia off entirely and have 20 grunts that could be buffed however you want if that's your thing. Doing this trick means alexia is losing at least one activation, she's either not advancing as far up the field as you want or not getting off a create thrall.

If Rhupert wasn't meant to give Pathfinder to Warjacks, he'd surely only be able to give it to warrior models! Oh wait...

It's a new edition with tons of new cards, I'm sure some of the intricacies weren't tested/realized and will be changed with the next couple erratas. That's not to say that you as a player shouldn't use the options available to you - it's up to the designers to make changes as warranted or needed.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Luebbi posted:

If Rhupert wasn't meant to give Pathfinder to Warjacks, he'd surely only be able to give it to warrior models! Oh wait...

It's a new edition with tons of new cards, I'm sure some of the intricacies weren't tested/realized and will be changed with the next couple erratas. That's not to say that you as a player shouldn't use the options available to you - it's up to the designers to make changes as warranted or needed.

I agree with this 100%. I personally think the Alexia thing is a oversight, but I'm not willing to enter into any "rules as intended" arguments. The rules should be followed precisely as written, and it's up to the designers to fix any instances where the rules as written don't function as the rules as intended.