Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

the panacea posted:

I have trouble deciding between the iPad Pro types. Is there any difference except the 9.7 having 4K video recording (which I don't care for) and the wide color spectrum?

Size is really the only thing you should base your decision on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mattavist posted:

Size is really the only thing you should base your decision on.

This + bigger is always better

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Kilometers Davis posted:

This + bigger is always better

Ok that's what I thought. Also double the RAM? :getin:

Now I just need to get a uk students discount.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Going to bit the bullet and grab a refurb air 2 at the end of the month, once scrivener comes out officially. I welcome my new mini work flow kit. As for a case, I like the speck ones you can get at target. Any other recommendations?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Going to bit the bullet and grab a refurb air 2 at the end of the month, once scrivener comes out officially. I welcome my new mini work flow kit. As for a case, I like the speck ones you can get at target. Any other recommendations?

I've been very happy with my Apple leather Smart Case. Good all-over protection that looks nice and doesn't add too much bulk to the device. I also have the Apple leather case for my iPhone 5s and it's very nice as well. Really impressed with the quality.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've got the smart case as well, on a mini 2 and an air 2. It's very high quality and after a year mine started delaminating and I couldn't find the receipt (bought it at Staples on sale) and they just gave me a new one off the shelf at the Apple Store and "sold" it to me for free.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Small pad pro also has the white balance changing depending on your surroundings. You may not care but a lot of people seem to really like it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hate that the oleophobic coating on my pro finally rubbed off so now my screen goes from fine to smeared mess in one minute. Is there a way to solve this? Any particular cleaner or screen protector?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

mediaphage posted:

Small pad pro also has the white balance changing depending on your surroundings. You may not care but a lot of people seem to really like it.

Is that where the screen is constantly changing brightness even though you have Auto Brightness off? That is annoying as hell. I have to turn AssistiveTouch on and put the little circle thing in the corner just to make watching movies bearable sometimes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I hate that the oleophobic coating on my pro finally rubbed off so now my screen goes from fine to smeared mess in one minute. Is there a way to solve this? Any particular cleaner or screen protector?
I've heard you can buy a bottle and apply it yourself, probably on Amazon so check out reviews there.

Edit: like so https://www.amazon.com/Anti-fingerp...customerReviews

It's pricey (note you get more liquid/$ with the phone one), sounds like application could be a pain, and results and longevity appear to vary (probably cause application).

Kevyn posted:

Is that where the screen is constantly changing brightness even though you have Auto Brightness off? That is annoying as hell. I have to turn AssistiveTouch on and put the little circle thing in the corner just to make watching movies bearable sometimes.
No it adjusts the white point (basically tweaks overall color temperature I guess) to match what a white surface would look like in the current ambient lighting. So in warmer lighting the screen will get warmer, and vice versa.

If I'm thinking of what you're thinking of...it's some dumb rear end auto brightness or contrast thing that I'm guessing comes on for videos in full screen, and has no setting to turn off afaik. Third party video players that use their own software codec probably aren't affected, but that's just a wild guess.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 17, 2016

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I got a STE DUX case for my new refurb ipad air 2, and drat does it kind of suck to hold. Maybe I really just got used to the Lifeproof Fre on my work's ipad mini 1, but the edges feel really flimsy to hold on and the wrap around cover kind of sucks when holding it.

I wonder if I am going to feel that way about any wrap around case. It sucks since I like the clasp and the feel of the case otherwise.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I just picked up a pair of Bluetooth headphones that charge via a USB to Micro USB cable. I was wondering if there was any way to charge them via an iPad Pro? I'm guessing no but, considering the Pro can charge the Apple Pencil, I thought it worth checking as it'd come in handy now and again. Does the Lightning to USB adapter squeeze any juice from the iPad?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had Swift Playground stop working on the new public beta? Every time I start a new page nothing animates and it throws up a crash log screen

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

The Gillman posted:

Has anyone had Swift Playground stop working on the new public beta? Every time I start a new page nothing animates and it throws up a crash log screen

Use your minimal coding knowledge to fix it.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Use your minimal coding knowledge to fix it.

I already turned it off and on

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, Apple replaced our iPad Air 2 for free because the crack in the screen was just a single one with no signs of impact. (And because we had AppleCare+ since it was out of the normal 1-year warranty.) Saved me $50.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

Huh, Apple replaced our iPad Air 2 for free because the crack in the screen was just a single one with no signs of impact. (And because we had AppleCare+ since it was out of the normal 1-year warranty.) Saved me $50.
Yeah, hairline cracks are abnormal failures and covered by the standard warranty (which you extended with Applecare+). Nothing out of the ordinary here, but glad it worked out for you!

One time they replaced my old Macbook Air's screen using the same coverage, even though I straight-up told them my cat broke it (I think he found the story funny). Saved me $500 (or more accurately $1000 because at that point I would have just bought a new computer).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Gillman posted:

Yup, download the main Learn to Code workbook...thing again. It won't overwrite your existing one and you'll have to copy and paste from one to the other, but I think they have bug fixes in that too in the new betas and you get a compile error when trying to use an older one.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just in case someone bought an iPad Pro and thought to themselves shortly thereafter "I wish I had two older generation iPads at a smaller size instead of this one"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784959

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So on a whim I bought the Lighting to USB 3.0 adapter for my iPad Pro 9.7 and went around sticking random things in it to see what happened. Imagine my shock when, after plugging in my Audiobox USB audio interface, it not only turned on, but was able to record a multitrack recording in GarageBand! Like, that's not an advertised feature at all and is actually kind of a big deal!

Unfortunately I was only able to make it work once, which is maybe why Apple doesn't mention it as a feature.

Does anyone have any idea as to why it worked once and not again? If it was a bug, it was the most glorious bug ever and I'd love to be able to recreate it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

iOS has supported random USB peripherals for a really long time. I can't remember when they added audio support but audio USB support was mentioned on stage at the first iPad Pro reveal, I believe. So it should work again for you.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think the iPads have always supported USB devices that support CoreAudio (like the Audiobox interface). But I haven't messed with that in years. I do remember plugging a cheap M-Audio midi controller (i.e. keyboard) into mine way back when.

edit: foggy memory, but I kind of remember that order was important. As in, the thing either had to be plugged in before you started the app, or vice versa.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think the iPads have always supported USB devices that support CoreAudio (like the Audiobox interface). But I haven't messed with that in years. I do remember plugging a cheap M-Audio midi controller (i.e. keyboard) into mine way back when.

edit: foggy memory, but I kind of remember that order was important. As in, the thing either had to be plugged in before you started the app, or vice versa.

I think you might be right about that on both counts.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife has an original ipad. Is there anything to do with this lump of technology other than toss it? It can't be updated and nothing really works except email, netflix, and the browser which crashes every 2 minutes. She's moved on but I see it setting there and it feels like a waste, it annoys my inner nerd.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You could throw it at a car on the highway and see if they try to sue you for giving them a free doorstopper.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can probably recycle it at an Apple store and they'll give you a 10% discount on a new one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

You can probably recycle it at an Apple store and they'll give you a 10% discount on a new one.

I would like to trade my expensive door stop for an even more expensive soon to be door stop, mmm thanks.

I just looked on ebay, people will pay money for these things! :lol: Nevermind, my inner nerd will take the cash.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I would like to trade my expensive door stop for an even more expensive soon to be door stop, mmm thanks.

I just looked on ebay, people will pay money for these things! :lol: Nevermind, my inner nerd will take the cash.

Haha what? Soon in electronics terms is six years now?

I mean, a new pro is what, like $1200, if you're not selling this poo poo for $120 then you're losing money unless you wanted a new mini or something, in which case you need to sell the ipad for a comparable amount of money. iPads are good and cool devices.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

That's for iPods

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Thinking about returning my 2016 MacBook for the big pro. Anyone done this or similar?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Do you plan to live without an actual computer? If so, to ahead I guess. Ipads (or rather iOS) are way too limited for how I use a computer, but people are different.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

rear end Catchcum posted:

Thinking about returning my 2016 MacBook for the big pro. Anyone done this or similar?

I like my iPad Pro but it is an expensive gadget and still very much limited in terms of its capabilities if you compare it to a laptop. Even if apple wants to make you believe otherwise.

To be honest I sometimes wonder if a Surface Pro would've been a safer choice.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The general rule is, if you're gonna be creating content - get a computer. If you only need to consume content, a tablet should do fine.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You can use an original ipad for a digital picture frame, and also for a cheap (but crappy) comic book reader.

For comics, I used a program called Bookman which still works on ios 5, but it sometimes crashes on large files. It is also pretty slow compared to Chunky on ios 9, but oh well it is an ipad 1.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Literally all I need is word and final draft and access to Dropbox. I don't care about movies music or photos.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

the panacea posted:

I like my iPad Pro but it is an expensive gadget and still very much limited in terms of its capabilities if you compare it to a laptop. Even if apple wants to make you believe otherwise.

To be honest I sometimes wonder if a Surface Pro would've been a safer choice.

Have you used a Surface Pro?

A Surface is an ok computer and a kinda bad tablet. You'll find yourself just using it like a laptop and it's expensive/a lovely form factor for a laptop. Windows is a mess for high-DPI. Some things will look normal, some things will be loving TINY. Navigation is a pain in the rear end with touch. Those are the main bads. I still often wish I had a real computer instead of an iPad then remind myself what it was like actually using it. Everything is a trade-off.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ddogflex posted:

A Surface is an ok computer and a kinda bad tablet. You'll find yourself just using it like a laptop and it's expensive/a lovely form factor for a laptop. Windows is a mess for high-DPI. Some things will look normal, some things will be loving TINY. Navigation is a pain in the rear end with touch. Those are the main bads. I still often wish I had a real computer instead of an iPad then remind myself what it was like actually using it. Everything is a trade-off.

Windows isn't a mess for high DPI it's a train wreck into an orphanage with Hitler at the helm. It's hard to understand how bad it is at times.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I've been using my old iPad 2 as a cribside sound machine for my baby. Like, the only thing installed on there is a sound machine app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ddogflex posted:

My only Windows machine is my gaming PC connected to my 4K TV. It's really jarring to open one program with crisp, clean text and windows sitting side by side with one that's blurry and ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

HEY! Anyone using a 32GB iPad Pro? About to buy one on ebay for about $600 but I wanted to make sure that I won't think of it as a small amount of space. I have a 16GB Air 1 now, and, for what i use it for, it has barely enough space.