Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Got a call from my Sweetwater rep they got their MD/MnM shipment in. I wasn't expecting to get in but I guess a bunch of people gave up hope. If anyone is still looking you might want to give em a call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
in case anyone is interested, I'm selling a Volca FM, a BeatStep Pro, and some modular stuff on SA Mart, here's the thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787378

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Roland Announces 909 Celebration Event

quote:

For 33 years, the Roland TR-909 Rhythm Composer has been one of the most definitive sounds in music, and the beating heart of electronic music culture. Join us on September 9 at a global live-streaming event, as we celebrate 33 years of the "909" with the release of new and inspiring electronic instruments. Stay tuned to the 909 Celebration page and follow Roland AIRA Facebook Page for the latest news.

Guess we know when the Boutique 808/909/707(?) are getting unveiled....

Though this looks like an AIRA event- and AFAIK that team wasn't really involved with the Boutiques- maybe there's an updated TR-8? Or something legitimately new and different?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Roland Announces 909 Celebration Event

Guess we know when the Boutique 808/909/707(?) are getting unveiled....

Though this looks like an AIRA event- and AFAIK that team wasn't really involved with the Boutiques- maybe there's an updated TR-8? Or something legitimately new and different?

Yeah, I'd wager a limited edition TR8 reskin and sound pack

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

I finally bit the bullet after years of contemplation and got my first eurorack stuff yesterday. :woop:
Here, listen to me having fun while drowning into grimdark ambient droning scifi hellscapes:
https://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/resin
https://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/screeching-to-a-halt

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

j.peeba posted:

I finally bit the bullet after years of contemplation and got my first eurorack stuff yesterday. :woop:
Here, listen to me having fun while drowning into grimdark ambient droning scifi hellscapes:

nice. I wish the Lifeforms had been around when I started, it looks like a lot of fun.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

j.peeba posted:

lasciate esperanza, voi ch'intra... i mean welcome to eurocrack where youll always keep chasin that first hit
diggin the weirdness

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

good jovi posted:

nice. I wish the Lifeforms had been around when I started, it looks like a lot of fun.
It is! It's got just enough features to be fun, flexible and great sounding without being too bare bones.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lasciate esperanza, voi ch'intra... i mean welcome to eurocrack where youll always keep chasin that first hit
diggin the weirdness
Yea. RIP my wallet
Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Startyde posted:

Yeah, I'd wager a limited edition TR8 reskin and sound pack

TBF, all those TR-8 skin makers were absolutely onto something.

Two years in, what's thread peoples' take on the TR-8?

I just signed a job offer after a period of underemployment so I'm trying not to GAS like a motherfucker :haw:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Mines in a repair shop right now because we were drunk at practice and it fell and broke off a fader and now the toms trigger the hats and the volume faders adjust the wrong instruments

Other than that it's my favorite piece of gear

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
It's super well designed.

More versatile functionally than meets the eye.

Roland's business choices are the drawback.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Wow 909s are up to $3500 or so on ebay

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

be sure to get the 7x7 expansion for the TR-8. because latin drums own. and the whistle... also owns

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

Wow 909s are up to $3500 or so on ebay

A lot of them sell for lower in actuality, offsite (or are sold then returned cause the condition isn't what it was advertised, etc.), according to people who send emails about such things to mailing lists.

But yeah - its pretty close to holding its MSRP value despite inflation, last time I did the math.

I have a feeling the Machinedrum and MnM are gonna do something similar.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I picked up an Intellijel 4U case at the Seattle synth meetup last weekend, I then ordered a handful of Pulp Logic 1U tile modules off Etsy. Today I learned that "1U" isn't really standardized among Eurorack manufacturers, and I have a handful of tiles that I don't know how to use with my case.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Chainclaw posted:

I picked up an Intellijel 4U case at the Seattle synth meetup last weekend, I then ordered a handful of Pulp Logic 1U tile modules off Etsy. Today I learned that "1U" isn't really standardized among Eurorack manufacturers, and I have a handful of tiles that I don't know how to use with my case.

Sorry. Intellijel made some noise about how their 1U standard was actually more accurate and better and whatever, but it all just came across as a dick move. The eurorack world isn't nearly big enough to support two standards for something that niche. They should have just sucked it up and gone with the existing tile standard.

I have a couple tiles, but I'm planning on moving to a bigger case soon and I probably won't bother with a 1U row. I certainly wouldn't bother producing any new 1U modules with the market this much smaller.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Chainclaw posted:

You can't. Intellijel decided to roll their own 1U format at winter NAMM this year and gently caress everyone else.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That said I really love the tiles in my PL lunchbox. Great little utilities.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Man, that was the fastest I've gone from not interested, to excited, to disappointed in something. The 1U tile row wasn't what sold me on the case, but it was intriguing, and after I bought it I went to modular grid and checked the 1U button. Then I saw the variety of inexpensive and useful utility modules, and got really excited. Now I'm disappointed and frustrated. I guess it gets Intellijel what they want, I'll probably end up ordering enough tiles from them to fill the case, but I won't be happy.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Voltage Control Lab does 2 great euro tutorials a week, usually on current gear. Did lots of 0 Coast last week. They are always short but very clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC9y4nruLDg5DYgzEn8bJxxA

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Chainclaw posted:

Man, that was the fastest I've gone from not interested, to excited, to disappointed in something. The 1U tile row wasn't what sold me on the case, but it was intriguing, and after I bought it I went to modular grid and checked the 1U button. Then I saw the variety of inexpensive and useful utility modules, and got really excited. Now I'm disappointed and frustrated. I guess it gets Intellijel what they want, I'll probably end up ordering enough tiles from them to fill the case, but I won't be happy.
There is this, though it's definitely not so nice as a dedicated row:
http://pulplogic.com/product/euro-tile-carrier/

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Extortionist posted:

There is this, though it's definitely not so nice as a dedicated row:
http://pulplogic.com/product/euro-tile-carrier/

Thanks, I ended up grabbing that and the power supply for eurorack to six 1U titles.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Chainclaw posted:

Why, though? It's a totally thoughtful, evolutionary move from Intellijel. On even the timeline of synthesizers (to say nothing of musical instruments), the entire Euro standard is about five minutes old. Given the "price per square foot" of Eurorack purely in terms of space in cases, it's pretty dumb that we waste HP on things like multiples. The tile thing is genius, just like the Erthenvaar tile thing before it was a really smart move. They're not being "dicks" by innovating.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Why, though? It's a totally thoughtful, evolutionary move from Intellijel. On even the timeline of synthesizers (to say nothing of musical instruments), the entire Euro standard is about five minutes old. Given the "price per square foot" of Eurorack purely in terms of space in cases, it's pretty dumb that we waste HP on things like multiples. The tile thing is genius, just like the Erthenvaar tile thing before it was a really smart move. They're not being "dicks" by innovating.

it's more that Intellijel came along with their own, slightly different, size of 1u when a number of other companies had already established a kind of ad-hoc 1u 'standard' and now neither flavour of 1u will fit alongside the other

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And it really gets under my skin that they're calling them the same thing as the rest. Now Pulp Logic is getting returns and the dude above is pissed because of the confusion.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Yeah, I love the concept of 1U. Utility functionality at often a $30 - $50 price point is wonderful. However, after discovering that it's the wild west in that there are at least two different sizes, and other differences like power connection standards for 1U, it's a pretty painful format to care about now. If Modular Grid's filters let you do things like select the type of 1U you were looking at, that would help a ton. I use Modular Grid heavily for discovering modules and planning out racks. I picked up the Intellijel case at the Seattle synth meetup, I went home, searched for 1U tiles on Modular Grid, discovered Pulp Logic's tiles, and ordered a few.

Small gotchas like this are also one of the reasons I haven't yet dove into eurorack video synthesis. Reading compatibility guides between LZX stuff and Special Stage Systems stuff makes it sound painful.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Scatterfold posted:

it's more that Intellijel came along with their own, slightly different, size of 1u when a number of other companies had already established a kind of ad-hoc 1u 'standard' and now neither flavour of 1u will fit alongside the other

You're right, and I totally didn't understand that. There's been soooo much bitching about Intellijel doing tiles that I'm used to defending it as a cool evolutionary thing. Even I didn't realize that they're a different size than Erthenvaar/PulpLogic. That sucks.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

gently caress me, I've finally come in here and I know this is going to be a never ending rabbit hole once I get started. I've been playing guitar and bass for about 15 years and lately I just don't like the feeling of playing either instrument, after I thought about it pretty long I realized I never got to play the type of music I wanted to in those 15 years.

I grew up on industrial music, first album was a complilation of Thrill Kill Kult, Ministry etc etc you get the idea.

I'm looking to buy a first synth and i'm stuck in a toss up with the korg minilogue, mini/microbrute's and the bass station II

Any suggestions? (I did read the loving OP, the minilogue wasn't on there)

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Minilogue from that list, hands down. Behringer DeepMind 12 is worth watching too, albeit at a higher price point.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Photex posted:

gently caress me, I've finally come in here and I know this is going to be a never ending rabbit hole once I get started. I've been playing guitar and bass for about 15 years and lately I just don't like the feeling of playing either instrument, after I thought about it pretty long I realized I never got to play the type of music I wanted to in those 15 years.

I grew up on industrial music, first album was a complilation of Thrill Kill Kult, Ministry etc etc you get the idea.

I'm looking to buy a first synth and i'm stuck in a toss up with the korg minilogue, mini/microbrute's and the bass station II

Any suggestions? (I did read the loving OP, the minilogue wasn't on there)

I have both the Microbrute and the Minilogue so... get both.

If you're totally new to synthesis, though, the Microbrute is an excellent place to start. It really has no buried controls, and it's a great way to learn what the hell the different elements of analog synthesis are in a very hands-on way.

If you're not new to synthesis, I'd say try to get your hands on each of them, play around, see which speaks to you.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I've really liked a lot of the demos i've watched of the Minilogue has, also right now Amazon has a minibrute on sale for $299 which is $100 off every other place I have seen.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Photex posted:

I've really liked a lot of the demos i've watched of the Minilogue has, also right now Amazon has a minibrute on sale for $299 which is $100 off every other place I have seen.

I remember when I got my Microbrute that there were a handful of reasons people were pushing me towards that as opposed to the Minibrute, but I can't really recall any of them.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I think it has some sequencer features that the mini doesn't? Not sure what else. I have and like the mini, but the filter type selector crapped out past the warranty period and was not a cheap repair (though Arturia did send me a free replacement part).

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Microbrute integrates better with modular/CV than the mini and the oscillator section is more interesting imo.

Arturia build quality and customer service stories (especially with Beatsteps) have put me off buying from them again, though my (treated nicely) Microbrute has held up.

I'd go Korg over Arturia - either Minilogue or MS-20 mini. Both are better built, better sounding, more interesting and capable synths than either Arturia.

I got my MS-20 mini for close to that (used), but if I could go back in time (and it was out) I'd have gone with a Minilogue instead even for the extra $. I'd also feel okay about buying either of those used, where a used Brute would sketch me out.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Welp it looks like the Minilogue it is then, i'll try to hunt one down maybe used or b-stock.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Photex posted:

Welp it looks like the Minilogue it is then, i'll try to hunt one down maybe used or b-stock.

If it helps the decision you can play Breakout on the Minilogue.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Eurorack nerds, Control Voltage is doing an 11% off sale over the weekend. They also do free shipping.

They don't have the Minilogue in stock tho, sorry Photex.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Grabbed a Minilogue off of reverb.com for $450 b-stock, should be here mid next week.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
:yeah:

If you haven't found them yet Marc Doty did a series of videos demonstrating the Minilogue, although he couldn't be bothered to make a playlist of them for whatever reason. Check about 7 months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

:yeah:

If you haven't found them yet Marc Doty did a series of videos demonstrating the Minilogue, although he couldn't be bothered to make a playlist of them for whatever reason. Check about 7 months back.

These are some really in depth videos I've pretty much watched the entire series so far, I'm glad to hear his excitement when using it too considering the other stuff he's demoed