Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VerdantSquire posted:

I completely disagree. This is a game series which is famous in part for using game mechanics to imply story. I'm going to be brutally honest - the fact that you can make Lifehunt Scythe out of Aldritch's soul, a character who straight up uses a scythe as his primary weapon (or at least one of his major attacks, but he does use Lifehunt scythe) during the fight with him, and is established as someone who can consume beings to gain their powers, very strongly implies that he ate Priscilla as well. You could claim that there was a peaceful passage of abilities, but consider the people involved in this; Priscilla just seems like the kind of person who wants to be left alone in her own world, and Aldrich is absolutely not a character interested in cultivating long term relationships.

On top of this, a big theme in all of Dark Souls 3 is just the decay and destruction of the world. Ash lake got set on fire and thoroughly destroyed, the Demons are a race on the verge of death, the gods are now all but gone, and this may very well be the last time the fire is linked. The destruction of the painted world (at least as we knew it, depending on what the dlc ends up looking like!) would fit into this theme just fine, and I would doubt that Fromsoft would pass on the opportunity to continue the theme. Hell, the cathedral the painted world used to be in isn't even there anymore, let alone the painted world!

I'm going to be brutally honest: nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why did you describe your thoughts on a video game as 'brutally honest'

It's brutal to tell us that Priscilla is dead

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

VerdantSquire posted:

I completely disagree.

The literal text of the game says he got it from a dream you goober.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Some read it as an euphemism.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

The literal text of the game says he got it from a dream you goober.

a dream...perhaps...a hunter's dream???

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The dream of a good translation.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

VerdantSquire posted:

Hell, the cathedral the painted world used to be in isn't even there anymore, let alone the painted world!

I didn't even think of this. Where do you get the Painting Guardian set from? If it's at the bottom of Yorshka's tower that's very interesting indeed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the painting's from a part of anor londo that isn't there anymore. most of what was in dks1 has fallen away entirely. looking back from the boss room, it'd be on the first floor (well, that you can reach) of a building that used to be to the right

the painted set is in yorshka's tower iirc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

You step on her head and take the flame from her, then chill in front of the eclipse like a total badass.

both times I beat the game I did the ending where you summon her to put out the flame, and I had given her the eyes, but this didn't happen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Digirat posted:

both times I beat the game I did the ending where you summon her to put out the flame, and I had given her the eyes, but this didn't happen.

you, the player, have to kill her at the end

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally think something went weird with the Painted World and that's why Irithyll/Anor Londo are snowy. Although that might just be winter the place seems to be perpetually cold as it's called Boreal Valley which means probably something happened between the first game and the third to make it like that. The Painted World breaking in some way and freezing everything would do it I imagine, Yorshka is actually a time-reversed Priscilla due to the breaking of the painting or something.

Mainly though I doubt Aldrich got to Priscilla because the Lifehunt Scythe you get is described as a Miracle he developed from dreaming of her whilst devouring Gwyndolin, which I'm guessing means he gets visions/dreams from the people he's eating alive.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 24, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Technically all that the miracle says is he dreamed of a pale girl in hiding while devouring gwyndolin. At the same time he doesn't use the real Lifehunt Scythe but merely a miracle recreation so it seems like he didn't actually eat Priscilla.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
And he also uses Gwyn style Fire - that doesn't mean he ate Gwyn.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If a rock falls in the woods and it's in Dark Souls 3, does that mean that rock is Solaire?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Aldrich eat the souls.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

I personally think something went weird with the Painted World and that's why Irithyll/Anor Londo are snowy. Although that might just be winter the place seems to be perpetually cold as it's called Boreal Valley which means probably something happened between the first game and the third to make it like that. The Painted World breaking in some way and freezing everything would do it I imagine, Yorshka is actually a time-reversed Priscilla due to the breaking of the painting or something.

Mainly though I doubt Aldrich got to Priscilla because the Lifehunt Scythe you get is described as a Miracle he developed from dreaming of her whilst devouring Gwyndolin, which I'm guessing means he gets visions/dreams from the people he's eating alive.

I think anor londo is cold because the sun has been out for hella long between somtime before dark souls 1 and when you get there in 3

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VerdantSquire posted:

I completely disagree. This is a game series which is famous in part for using game mechanics to imply story. I'm going to be brutally honest - the fact that you can make Lifehunt Scythe out of Aldritch's soul, a character who straight up uses a scythe as his primary weapon (or at least one of his major attacks, but he does use Lifehunt scythe) during the fight with him, and is established as someone who can consume beings to gain their powers, very strongly implies that he ate Priscilla as well. You could claim that there was a peaceful passage of abilities, but consider the people involved in this; Priscilla just seems like the kind of person who wants to be left alone in her own world, and Aldrich is absolutely not a character interested in cultivating long term relationships.

On top of this, a big theme in all of Dark Souls 3 is just the decay and destruction of the world. Ash lake got set on fire and thoroughly destroyed, the Demons are a race on the verge of death, the gods are now all but gone, and this may very well be the last time the fire is linked. The destruction of the painted world (at least as we knew it, depending on what the dlc ends up looking like!) would fit into this theme just fine, and I would doubt that Fromsoft would pass on the opportunity to continue the theme. Hell, the cathedral the painted world used to be in isn't even there anymore, let alone the painted world!

Yorska is Priscilla duder. You even find the painting guardian gear in her tower.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Tetracube posted:

Yeah I don't think "total badass" is how I'd describe it, more like you completely lost yourself. You're completely broken and can't do anything but behold the dying flame, unsure of what to even do with it. It's the worst possible ending

What ending is this?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
You guys get really worked up at this game

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Leaked scans

http://imgur.com/a/2usOJ

hmmm

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Forgotten Castle Kaathehurst

I kind of assumed (but hoped against) one of the expansions being kind of Bloodborne-y so I'm not surprised by this.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

RC Cola posted:

You guys get really worked up at this game

Dark Souls is life.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cainhurst was one of the best bits of vanilla BB so it's fine by me

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tetracube posted:

Yeah I don't think "total badass" is how I'd describe it, more like you completely lost yourself. You're completely broken and can't do anything but behold the dying flame, unsure of what to even do with it. It's the worst possible ending

BEST

Here is the alternate firekeeper summon ending at 1h1m10s (I skipped most of the FK yapping) for those who don't know how to get it

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Also re:DLC trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu1NCPMC7D0

e: the scan pic posted upthread is Ariamis with Cainhurst on top

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 24, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I saw a snowy castle and some indoor tunnels, glad to see from soft is keeping up with the tradition of visually nice but derivative and uninspired areas

Here's to hoping im wrong because overall the DS3 world wasn't very fun or exciting to discover.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lordvessel smash

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I watched that trailer and will play it but holy poo poo is anyone else sick of bells and chanting and choirs?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sleekly posted:

I watched that trailer and will play it but holy poo poo is anyone else sick of bells and chanting and choirs?

:frogout:

Honestly it does get a little samey, but it's not like 95% of fantasy RPGs where it all just sounds like someone riffing on Jeremy Soule and I turn the music off in the first hour, so I'm fine with it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

KingSlime posted:

I saw a snowy castle and some indoor tunnels, glad to see from soft is keeping up with the tradition of visually nice but derivative and uninspired areas

Here's to hoping im wrong because overall the DS3 world wasn't very fun or exciting to discover.

:frogout:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's true tho there's so much inspiration from could take, look at the DLC for II. Inspired by different regions/aesthetics and they were all visually the poo poo.

Unlit tunnels, stone walls covered in snow, looks just like Cainhurst. Just like with the base game, KingSlime isn't terribly impressed (but will still play the poo poo out of all the DLCs.)

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

It looks like the painted world at 1:21!

This is sufficient to excite and interest me.

BTW the previous sentence is not a good pickup line.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Watch out FROM, KingSlime isn't terribly impressed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
And I'm fixing to pen a sternly-worded letter too. Watch out, Myazaki-san.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I, to be brutally honest, don't give a gently caress if it's another snowy castle that's been done before. I'm going to play this poo poo out of this.

Thanks for listening.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I can't wait to kick the Dragonborn's antlered rear end

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel like we didn't get a good idea of what the dlc world is actually like from that trailer other than "there's snow" so I will reserve judgement

even if it's bad it will probably still be good

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Given that this is Dark Souls 1: The Repeatening, that HAS to be the Painted World for sure, right?

I saw a character reach towards what might have been a large empty canvas, and the snowy bridge clinches it imo.

E: Yeah the deer knight dude looks cool as poo poo and yeah even weak from soft content is still good content. They got a solid track record with DLC so I'm not tripping about the quality, just the samey environments.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KingSlime posted:

Given that this is Dark Souls 1: The Repeatening, that HAS to be the Painted World for sure, right?

I'm sure it's not the painted world but rather an identical looking place, allowing from to reuse the painted world without actually answering any questions about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I saw a destroyed or empty painting, the mountaintop bridge from DS1 (which I think was the only remaining assets of what DS1 was originally supposed to be?) and somebody handing you a piece of painting. Shot in the dark: We get trapped in the painted world and the DLC journey is finding all the pieces of the painting and reassembling it so we can get out again.