Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sum Mors posted:

I'm confused on Alexis' involvement in all of this. Is she a CIG employee?

Maybe Chris used his fetish ties to find somebody for Ben? :cry:

she works there and does customer service type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

peter gabriel posted:

I've long been on the inside for games journalism, I don't mention it because honestly it's not that interesting, but to give you all an idea of how it works from the inside all these things are normal and I have seen them multiple times:

Journos discussing which press Q and A event they want to go to based on how good the free food usually is.
After a brief discussion of a review being written "I'll just watch it on Youtube" was the entire interaction between the journo and the game being reviewed.
The last event I went to had 20 Alienware laptops set up for the press to play the game, the actual devs were there in London and had flown in from the US, the room was empty all night while the free bar was full, only I ever even sat at the laptops and when I did an eager dev team descended on me and I played a few rounds with the guy in charge of PVP dev :3:
I get maybe 3 emails a week off games companies asking what the rates are for a paid article in the magazine / site.
There have been too many times for me to count where I have been sat in a private cinema watching some devs screen their upcoming game and no one else was in there, they were always at the free food in another room.

The people who write about games just do not give a gently caress, seriously. I don't blame them, they all do the same endless circular tour of venues and see each other all the time. When it comes down to it they just get a vibe for if other people like a game then write some fluff that reflects that.
Depressing.

I wonder if this is most 'journalism' these days.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I think what makes me really question Chris is that he never seems to understand what is actually happening with the game engine. He only ever talks about high-level conceptual stuff - what the end result is going to look and feel like, as opposed to what is actually happening. Now a lot of that is modern game development (hurr hurr) that relies on middleware and other peoples' engines, but still; I never hear, "Well this is what's happening with the code here, this is why you see this"; it's always, "this will be better" or "you'll be able to do X".

It strikes me as vague and unprofessional. I understand the want to sell this thing to backers but I think a deeper explanation of what is happening under the hood from the head honcho would be emboldening.
There were times where he saw (and played) what was actually happening, and we all know how that turned out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Pledging a large amount of money to reach the next big funding milestone is some next level poo poo.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Evil_Greven posted:

Depressing.

I wonder if this is most 'journalism' these days.

I wasn't in Games journalism, but it's not too different in other branches. Once you realize that a) no one gives a gently caress and b) you don't get paid extra for serious research, apathy and a fondness for the free buffet sets in.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
You're also more likely to get in poo poo for doing real work. Raiding the craft services is the safest job move for a games journalist.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tokamak posted:

Pledging a large amount of money to reach the next big funding milestone is some next level poo poo.

Jumping the line
Pledge your money in time
It's fine I believe Him

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Bushiz posted:

You're also more likely to get in poo poo for doing real work. Raiding the craft services is the safest job move for a games journalist.

Yeah, that too. Unsurprisingly the closer you get to basically writing PR material, the better it gets paid.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

how can ben believe in the superiority of his white race when he is such a terrible example of it?

You were saying?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tokamak posted:

https://twitter.com/DeejayKnight/status/768191099466752000

the gamescom streamers are now stealing WTFOSAURUS's hair. have they no shame?!?
I know where he got the idea

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

TTerrible posted:

A reminder that Sandi Gardiner has quit social media over online harassment claims, but is totally fine with Wulf Knight, a man known to have sexually harassed other Star Citizen backers organinsing Citizen Con 2016.

Cloud Imperium Games.

They have quite a few dollars riding on that mildly furry acorn of his.

Rah! posted:

Chris Roberts looks like my old landlord who moved to Thailand so that he could have 24/7 access to cheap teenage prostitutes.
And that man's name?
Chris Roberts.

thatguy posted:

Dude has spent hundreds of dollars sending gifts and food to them. Not to mention all the .jpegs he's bought.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO CIG INTERN: Do not eat - throw away

D1E posted:

Are you going to tell us which one is Yoko Taro or do we have to guess?

I wish to congratulate you on this post which amused me quite a bit.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4yx9f3/anyone_interested_how_the_eckhart_mission_chain/

"Maybe you happen to be wearing a T-shirt from his favorite musical artist, and he takes a liking to you immediately."

:psyduck:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

My favorite are all the different dreams for how game mechanics are going to function.

I'm just waiting until they get the magic mining beam gun al la NMS. That should set them off. "Never been done, so amazing!"

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Chocobo posted:

What is the medical/psychological term for somebody being completely blind or unable to gauge the sincerity of a statement?

"A Lazarin" ?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
wait, so ben lesnicks gf also works at a manager position at CIG? is this thing just one giant ouroboros of nepotism?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

nerdz posted:

wait, so ben lesnicks gf also works at a manager position at CIG? is this thing just one giant ouroboros of nepotism?
I can't quite imagine Ben in the classic ouroboros position.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Can't remember if they met on the job or not.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Is the Wulf guy on the payroll, or is he just plain fuckin' crazy?

Either answer would fit, wouldn't it?

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Flarpy posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4yx9f3/anyone_interested_how_the_eckhart_mission_chain/

"Maybe you happen to be wearing a T-shirt from his favorite musical artist, and he takes a liking to you immediately."

And there are supposedly going to be dozens of such NPCs in each of 100 systems. The shitizen capacity for self-delusion is kind of amazing in its own way.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

I can't quite imagine Ben in the classic ouroboros position.

he's probably in more of a pizza the hutt position

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

nerdz posted:

+ Lesnick got the job because he's a huge Wing Commander fan.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Flarpy posted:

Wise Learned Man posted:

And there are supposedly going to be dozens of such NPCs in each of 100 systems. The shitizen capacity for self-delusion is kind of amazing in its own way.

Tbf, it wouldn't be particularly hard to implement...but just why would you?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

They are a comedy of errors to me, like the keystone cops or something

Please use Yakkety Sax in one of your next vids pgabz. A salute to Benny (Hill, not the noodles of course).

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Tbf, it wouldn't be particularly hard to implement...but just why would you?

Starry eyed citizen posted:

hand-written segments that are procedurally tied together

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Fauxtool posted:

is ben still on sick leave but not because how fat he is?

Just wait, the itinerant hobo will end up being Master of Ships, and Accelerwraith will be the new community manager. How could that possibly be bad?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Sum Mors posted:

I'm confused on Alexis' involvement in all of this. Is she a CIG employee?

Maybe Chris used his fetish ties to find somebody for Ben? :cry:

She is a CIG employee, in customer service, and from any interactions I had with her, she's an honestly good person. How she continues to put up with this poo poo show is beyond me.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Cloud Imperium Games have hired a member of their community that was banned for sending pictures of his genitals to other players to plan their yearly con.

I'm stealing this. Goon Valor be witnessed.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016
Did Dickwulf just remove his tweet?
Edit: No, it's there still.

Flarpy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 24, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

nerdz posted:

I think that's how they met, not how she got the job.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

let's see we just apply this to the goonies and all our spaceship dreams will come true

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/21/donald-trump-troll

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

PoorMoralCompass posted:

That does it, I'm changing my legal name to Bear "Dethl0rd" Cavalry.

I'll be Tigre "~s3ph1r0th666~" Phalanx

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

013013Rask013013

Reporting to the verse

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

For one, it's a big old agreement error. Lupus is masculine nominative (hence why it takes malus), whereas magnum is either neuter or accusative. Best case scenario is that it's being used as a direction, which would make the sentence mean “towards the big [goes] the bad wolf”.

:confused:

:downs:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I call dibs on xXxRonPaul420Goku666xXx

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

:lol:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Lion "MegaSayin" King checking in

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hahaha

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Flarpy posted:

Oh wow, this awesome, masterfully hidden mechanic will stay secret for about 2 hours before a wiki page shoots up listing all npcs and the shirts you need to wear.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tippis posted:

For one, it's a big old agreement error. Lupus is masculine nominative (hence why it takes malus), whereas magnum is either neuter or accusative. Best case scenario is that it's being used as a direction, which would make the sentence mean “towards the big [goes] the bad wolf”.

It's about a point guard with a pretentious nickname attacking the basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Tippis posted:

Most of all it's an error nobody with any knowledge of Latin would ever make. He probably got confused by magnum opus.

To sum it up: A 40ish guy wearing a fedora, naming himself Wulf Knight (this isn't his birth name, I presume?), sends unsolicited dick pics as a service to the ladyfolk. He uses butchered Latin to sound cool and a signature that he probably scribbled with his tongue sticking out.

This is so retarded, i.e. something an 13-year-old would do.

How did he make money? Can only be IT ...

Edit: In the verse I'd be Hot Doge,Duke of Marma.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 24, 2016

• Locked thread