Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is it loaded with healing bullets this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I will mark out so hard if Jessica Cruz recites the Blue Lantern mantra.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I was just thinking the other day that I miss the 80-page giants even though they rarely had more than a single good story. Really curious to see how this talent program works out for DC, there's a promising amount of women attached to this already.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Garth Ennis interviews on Sixpack & Dogwelder
http://www.newsarama.com/30743-garth-ennis-returns-to-constantine-but-brings-sixpack-and-dogwelder-along.html
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/ennis-braun-take-sixpack-and-dogwelder-on-alan-moore-inspired-road-trip

Co-plotted by Alan Moore.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 23, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Co-plotted by Alan Moore.

what

edit: Oh. 'inspired'

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

what

edit: Oh. 'inspired'

"I did actually run the idea past Alan, just out of respect, and he was very gracious about it. Even pointed out a couple of things that helped enormously with the story."

If he even breathed half a contributing suggestion for a DC comic, that's big :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 23, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

It should stay like the Rebirth Special and she isn't affected by his magic touch. "I'm supposed to be with you? gently caress off creep."

I think it'd be interesting for one thing to push against whole fixed legacy thing and treat it like an imposition on them.

So, basically the entirety of Johns' Hawkman & Hawkgirl?

(that's not a knock, btw, that's one of my favorite things he did)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rich Bleedingcool is spoiling Doom Patrol #1 for ya.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08...e-are-spoilers/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Do the 32 page $3.99 comics actually have 32 pages of comic? Or is it standard size with ads to pad out?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So, basically the entirety of Johns' Hawkman & Hawkgirl?

(that's not a knock, btw, that's one of my favorite things he did)
:hfive:

Tomorrow, Superman's never-ending battle with Doomsday winds down! Finally! Maybe Action will start getting better? Plus, the conclusion of Rise of the Batmen (if you're not reading Detective, you're missing out!). Anything coming out tomorrow anybody really looking forward to? I admit Son of Superman and Rise of the Batmen are making me feel like a pimply fanboy in the good way. Been a while since DC made me happy like that. And though I swore off non-Vertigo Hellblazer, I'm gonna try the new series (even though we're probably not getting the cover-teased Swamp Thing in a suit).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm looking forward to Blue Beetle. That's it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Blue Beetle is the one Rebirth series I want to be good more than anything else.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Having a double whammy of Wonder Woman and Detective Comics on a bi-weekly basis is basically the highlight of my comics reading experience.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
I'm always excited for my pull list or I wouldn't be buying the books.

Blue beetle is the main one this week. Ted Kord. :eyepop:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Blue Beetle is the one Rebirth series I want to be good more than anything else.

BB is the one series I want to be good more than any other yet it's the one I can't help but feel it will be more of a trainwreck. It has so much stacked against it, like Ted Kord being young and them making the scarab magic again for gently caress only knows why.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

With this most recent issue of Nightwing I think it might legit be my favorite ongoing series right now (well, it's either that or Superman or Detective Comics). His and Raptor's relationship is just so great, I'm really digging this dude.

ed: Also, how was Supergirl? Worth picking up?

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 24, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you didn't try Priest's Deathstroke last time cause of old Tony Daniels and Liefeld comics or whatever, it ruled. This week there's another one, so this week will rule.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

With this most recent issue of Nightwing I think it might legit be my favorite ongoing series right now (well, it's either that or Superman or Detective Comics). His and Raptor's relationship is just so great, I'm really digging this dude.

ed: Also, how was Supergirl? Worth picking up?

It was fine. Mostly table-setting to try and get as close to the TV show as they can without blatantly making it a carbon-copy. Art was pretty and Orlando has a good ear for the characters, though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Deahstroke is great so far because it doesn't try to make him into anything other than a pretty horrible person.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Crossposting from the Digital Comics thread:

It's Blue Beetle's time to shine.

Definitely buy:

Blue Beetle (2006-2009) - An extremely winning take on Jaime Reyes.
Formerly Known As The Justice League - Humorous take on a super-team, mix with I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League for best results.
Blue & Gold (Booster Gold #0, 7-10) - The bromantic adventures of a couple of B-listers navigating the DC timeline after the events of Infinite Crisis (when Ted died).

Copra's cool too, but I've been waiting for a Blue Beetle sale, and will splurge on any issues y'all want to also recommend. I'm read up on Justice League / International / America and know nothing about Extreme Justice except it looks and sounds like a big mistake. Curious about the Captain Atom "Silver Lie" story, though.

Excuse me while I get hype about my Beetles! :cheers:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I think its incredibly misleading that Geoff announced the new Blue Beetle series as "staring Jamie Reyes and his Mentor Ted Kord" when actually its the non-blue beetle young naive ted kord from Geoff's New 52 Justice League book and not the actual super hero Ted Kord that Geoff killed off in Countdown to Infinite Crisis. This is really another lame attempt to make Jamie a thing so that Didio can hold onto his job (See Also: Cyborg).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Jaime Reyes is arguably the best character DC has created in the past ten years so who cares.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

BrianWilly posted:

Jaime Reyes is arguably the best character DC has created in the past ten years so who cares.

Are you joking me?

Damian Wayne, Batwoman, Agent Orange, Saint Walker, and just about every character Grant Morrison has cooked up in the last decade are all far superior to Jamie. Jamie just like with Jason Rusch and Ryan Choi was an attempt by Dan Didio to boost comic sales by getting a couple headlines talking about how DC is all about diversity. It was extremely forced.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 24, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ew what.

Damian and Kate Kane, I'll grant, are good characters who have been in many good books (the latter of whom appeared in the exact same diversity wave that bothers you so much). Larfleeze is a one-note gimmick and Saint Walker is lameness personified. To place their exploits in the same rank as John Rogers' incredible Blue Beetle run is insane.

e: And like, I can't tell you how disappointing it is that the Lanterns representing hope throughout the galaxy turned out to be a cult of religious navel-gazers who couldn't actually do anything without Green Lanterns by their side.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 24, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jaime has appeared as a major character in, like, all the shows. He's been in multiple cartoons, at least one live-action thing, had a pilot made or almost made for his own live-action series, is in a bunch of video games, has spin-off cartoon-only characters with their own cult followings (Black and Green Beetles), and Dou loving Hong has a Blue Beetle animated series dream project he has put together a whole pitch for, with complete character models and poo poo.

Jaime already made it. He's an unambiguous success, and has penetrated enough pop media that a generation of children know and like him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Are you joking me?

Damian Wayne, Batwoman, Agent Orange, Saint Walker, and just about every character Grant Morrison has cooked up in the last decade are all far superior to Jamie. Jamie just like with Jason Rusch and Ryan Choi was an attempt by Dan Didio to boost comic sales by getting a couple headlines talking about how DC is all about diversity. It was extremely forced.

Did you read the John Rogers run on Blue Beetle?

'Cause I thought the same way until I actually read the book. Jaime is fuckin' awesome, dude. Are you seriously telling me you think Larfleeze is a more compelling and interesting character? Seriously?

...seriously?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Damian Wayne is the best superhero character, period, created in the past decade (or at least top three between him, Kate Bishop, and Cindy Moon) so it'd be pretty loving surprising if Jamie Reyes was able to reach that echelon. I mean, I admit I haven't read any of his stuff but Damian, Kate, and Cindy are in that stratosphere where their mere existence in a comic book, no matter what, automatically makes that book better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Kamala Khan is in the last decade too.

And (Morrison's) Damian Wayne is 10 years old next month.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I find Damian way too easy to make into an utterly insufferable and terrible character to consider him the best.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I considered it for a second but I'm actually sorta cooling on Ms Marvel. I mean it's a fantastic book but I wouldn't consider it an all-time great like Batman and Son/Hawkeye/Silk, or at least not yet. It's very much a great Spider-Man for the new millennium story but that's exactly what it is, and if it didn't have the Pakistani-American cultural perspective it'd be the definition of great but inessential reading. In contrast I feel like with Damian/Kate/Cindy there's a lot of depth to all three characters and they could (and have, with the exception of Cindy) work with any writer no matter what because their character foundations are so strong. I think Kamala would be nowhere near as popular as she is if GWW wasn't writing her, and I dunno if she'll be able to transfer from GWW's pen as easily as Damian did from Morrison's and Kate did from whoever wrote YA volume 1's.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

I find Damian way too easy to make into an utterly insufferable and terrible character to consider him the best.

As far as I'm aware I've read every comic he's appeared in (and that's a good hundred or so, covering three different main writers) and that's never happened. I don't necessarily disagree with your point but Damian's in that convenient position where if you don't know how to write him you just pretend he doesn't exist, like Snyder basically did for five years, and it still more or less works.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Are you joking me?

Jaime. If you're going to diss him, at least spell his drat name right. Especially since literally everyone else in the thread has been doing it, so there's no excuse.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I think its incredibly misleading

Isn't it following the set-up presented in the special?

e: I hope the comic is all references to Threshold :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 24, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Jaime. If you're going to diss him, at least spell his drat name right. Especially since literally everyone else in the thread has been doing it, so there's no excuse.

I feel like he may actually think that's how it's pronounced and that it's a misspelling, instead of a different name.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really like Jaime, Jason Rusch, and Ryan Choi

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm a week late on this but I just got caught up reading all my comics from last week and that was one of the best weeks I've had reading DC in a long time. Green Lanterns (which I guess most people don't like, but I like a lot), Batgirl and Birds of Prey, Green Arrow (for my money, one of the best single issues since Rebirth started), Batman (can't wait to see where this goes next) and Superman. Thought they were all terrific. Superman has been stellar throughout but I give it bonus points this week for having someone ask "Why don't you just call the Justice League to deal with this?" and get an answer that actually made sense. A nice echo of Batman, where, you know, they actually had to call the JL because they were in over their heads.

Hooray Rebirth!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Damian Wayne is the best superhero character, period, created in the past decade (or at least top three between him, Kate Bishop, and Cindy Moon)

Who the hell is Cindy Moon?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like he may actually think that's how it's pronounced and that it's a misspelling, instead of a different name.

A misspelling that everyone else in the thread was making?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

redbackground posted:

Who the hell is Cindy Moon?

Silk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who the hell is Silk