Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks for the feedback, I think I got a new line on where I want to take it. Back later for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, the Infernal's a metaphor. Sure, it works as a drugs equivalent, but you could also use it as a metaphor for anxiety and how the pressure to succeed keeps you going until it makes you crash completely, or you could just ignore metaphors entirely and focus on dealing with the devil and it'll work fine. Succubus/incubus skins can't really do that. You can't have the uncomfortable stuff be metaphorical subtext when the text is "sex demon".

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I haven't done Monsterhearts but I feel that if you wanted to do a succubus the better angle would be as an object of temptation. Instead of actively tempting people or being tempted, it's someone heavily objectified as a status symbol or target. That's really not a fun thing to be, not that anyone here would probably know, but there's a dynamic of playing into role/acting authentic at cost of status. It's still going to get wierd because you've got a limited vocabulary centered around exploitation. Probably worth sticking to classical Teen Wolf gets dacked at the Ball, Kills Ghost narratives.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I've uploaded Impulse Drive to Drivethru as a free preview product for playtesting purposes. Providing a permanent link to updated versions should be easier, and I can track the number of downloads, which is nice.

Impulse Drive Preview are the complete Alpha rules and documents, provided for free for playtesting. As changes are made, these documents will be updated with the latest version.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So I'm poking at the fighter type class in this hack. I'd like it to be flexible enough to be a knight or a martial artist type.

It's got the usual selection of bash things and intimidate people skills, but I wanted one a bit more interesting, so I figured something where a warrior can look at a person who is fighting or pick over the scene of the fight and glean something about the nature of one of the fighters.

I jotted down

quote:

Warriors Wisdom
When you spend time watching someone battle, or examine the aftermath of a fight, roll +wits
On a 10+, Describe the pattern you see in the actions, and what this teaches you. Carry +1 forward when acting on this information.
On a 7-9, The GM will tell you something interesting about what you see in their patterns. It is up to you to make use of this.
On a miss, You learn something troubling

Then realised that it's just spout lore with a forward and is actually kind of bad.

I've considered it simply being

quote:

When you spend time watching someone battle, describe the pattern you see in the actions, and what this teaches you.

But that doesn't seem good ieither

Any idea how to make it work? I like the concept, but the excecution so far is fuckin flat.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ShineDog posted:

So I'm poking at the fighter type class in this hack. I'd like it to be flexible enough to be a knight or a martial artist type.

It's got the usual selection of bash things and intimidate people skills, but I wanted one a bit more interesting, so I figured something where a warrior can look at a person who is fighting or pick over the scene of the fight and glean something about the nature of one of the fighters.

I jotted down

Then realised that it's just spout lore with a forward and is actually kind of bad.

I've considered it simply being

But that doesn't seem good ieither

Any idea how to make it work? I like the concept, but the excecution so far is fuckin flat.
Make it unrollable imo

Been there, Done that
When you take a moment to analyze an enemies' fighting style, describe how you know it and hold 1.
You may spend that hold later to capitalize on a flaw in their form:
- ask the gm "how can I best counter their next move?"
- avoid all damage from a single attack
- disarm, knockdown, or otherwise non-lethally incapacitate your opponent

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
OK, Succubus version 2, borrowed some stuff from the Vampire this time - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PH_LlKZI3UvcWapWimVjwWm3GXo9kK20tftG8FIF_IE/edit

Feedback welcome. Balance needed.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Frgrbrgr posted:

OK, Succubus version 2, borrowed some stuff from the Vampire this time - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PH_LlKZI3UvcWapWimVjwWm3GXo9kK20tftG8FIF_IE/edit

Feedback welcome. Balance needed.

Does Quite Convincing let you just keep pestering someone for strings (spend 1, gain 2) until they give in and join your covenant?

Does the Turn On from Second Thoughts get the advantage of Want Another Go?

It seems to me like the sex move should trigger when covenant members partake of your That One Thing. It feels weird to be able to have a money-succubus who still preys through sex. Maybe move the current sex move to an effect of That One Thing and then the sex move is that sex with you counts as partaking of your That One Thing?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Benly posted:

A - Does Quite Convincing let you just keep pestering someone for strings (spend 1, gain 2) until they give in and join your covenant?

B - Does the Turn On from Second Thoughts get the advantage of Want Another Go?

C - It seems to me like the sex move should trigger when covenant members partake of your That One Thing. It feels weird to be able to have a money-succubus who still preys through sex. Maybe move the current sex move to an effect of That One Thing and then the sex move is that sex with you counts as partaking of your That One Thing?

A - No, because refusing makes them no longer hesitant.

B - Nope, the roll happens after they leave.

C - It's something I debated, but I like it as a sex move because it taps directly into Succubus lore - feeding on sex. It's also something core to the game, more than just the covenant or skin, there's a reason there's no Drug Move or whatever. Still, will think on it.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Frgrbrgr posted:

C - It's something I debated, but I like it as a sex move because it taps directly into Succubus lore - feeding on sex. It's also something core to the game, more than just the covenant or skin, there's a reason there's no Drug Move or whatever. Still, will think on it.

I get that, but your Succubus explicitly doesn't have to be about sex, in the same way the Ghoul doesn't have to be about flesh. It doesn't make much sense to me to say "the Succubus is about sustaining yourself by preying on others' hungers and that can be a hunger for anything, but the actual feeding is still specific to sex".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If anyone is interested, I decided to pick up Legend of the Elements and give it a read through.

Basically, it seems okay. It has some rough spots and some moves that made me scratch my head (the back of the book actually explains some of the design rationale behind those moves, but I disagree with them). My big hang-up is the Chi economy.

Basically, the fronts of the game (called plots) advance when a certain amount of chi is spent. You set the Chi amount per event and an ample amount of explantion is given to how to use this for pacing. Why spend Chi? You can spend Chi to increase the tier of a result: 6- to 7-9, 7-9 to 10+. I can of disagree with this being an option, but it is hardly a deal breaker and I can get the rationale for it in a Wuxia game.

My bigger problem is this: Chi is ALSO use for advancement: store 5 and spend to advance. The writer seems to be aware of how this makes things weird and even says to expect slow chi use early on and for it to get heavier when people have leveled into their view of the character. It is extra odd because the game has a solution to this as their is a per session mechanic called Fortune (that is super rare and mostly seems to be there for playbooks that rely on Solid, since that only has 1 basic move, and any class can get it as a post-5 advancement). Fortune works just like Chi, except for advancement.

Why they don't just use Fortune as its own thing and have Chi just for advancements thus removing this issue in spending? No idea.

Overall, it's okay. Little rough, but isn't terrible. There are better things, but I don't regret the purchase.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ugh. Bennie-points-as-XP mechanics suck anyway, but actually tying the advancement of the plot to how many of them your players spend for bennies (which they won't, and probably shouldn't, be doing in any great quantity) is a notable wrong step. I can see "the plot doesn't advance until the characters have had X cool bennie-point moments" maybe being okay, but in that case, don't make the cool-moment currency hoardable.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Antivehicular posted:

Ugh. Bennie-points-as-XP mechanics suck anyway, but actually tying the advancement of the plot to how many of them your players spend for bennies (which they won't, and probably shouldn't, be doing in any great quantity) is a notable wrong step. I can see "the plot doesn't advance until the characters have had X cool bennie-point moments" maybe being okay, but in that case, don't make the cool-moment currency hoardable.

Yeah, well, when I say Plot, it's more like a Front. So, the big things going on in the background like, I don't know, Azula becoming the Fire Lord and Ozai becoming the Phoneix king off-camera or the comet arriving. So, the game can still advance without spending Chi. Also, like Fronts, you can stop these Plots at any time.

Still, bad, though. It's easily fixed by just saying "You get fortune whenever you get Chi. You can only use Chi on improvements. You can use Fortune to advance tier results. Whenever a move refers to using chi (except that Teacher move about sharing moves), use Fortune instead. The MC uses Fortune instead of Chi to advance plots." But, I shouldn't have to do that.

Also, the rest of the game, like I said, is rough, but not terrible. It has some good ideas (very hard capping stats at +2 and only rarely ever letting them go higher and almost never giving +1 forwards/ongoing is nice) and it isn't bad, but it is a rough game. Would still play it, but it's far from the best PbtA.

Considering the lopsided nature of it, it was a good idea to put all the Stretch Goal content behind the banner of stretch goal, as an aside. Kind of like that intimacy move add-on in the stretch goal section is called "Shipping moves."

Edit: It reminds me of Dungeon World in many ways.

Edit edit: The tag system is a little weird. Very much relies on letting narrative truths hold, which can be loosey-goosey to some and intuitive to others.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 17, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
sounds a lot like the karma cycle in Tenra Bansho Zero. The problem is an Avatar: The Last Airbender-knockoff would probably lead to longer story arcs that require advancements more than the short adventures TBZ is meant to run

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

sounds a lot like the karma cycle in Tenra Bansho Zero. The problem is an Avatar: The Last Airbender-knockoff would probably lead to longer story arcs that require advancements more than the short adventures TBZ is meant to run

In fairness, I think they are running under the assumption things are happening close together with less filler since the writer of LotE feels that longer arcs probably won't happen since "modern games don't last that long," when he is discussing pacing with plots. Also, you can increase the chi cost of the event for pacing sake. Still not a good system, though.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I haven't seen this posted here yet: City of Mist is a PBTA noir superhero game, which diverges from 'core' PBTA in a number of interesting ways. It's currently in a limited 'pre-KS' release, so you can have a poke through the rules for free.

I've had a look through myself and I think it's got a lot of potential and a few issues. I really want to like it, but some of the moves need tightening up (Investigate, for example) and it's got a few jagged bits and pieces which make me wonder how it would work out in play. And it badly needs a structural editing pass -- too many concepts talked about before they've been introduced. And the moves don't offer much to support the supposed noir elements. I do like the system for character gen and development, though, and the way your 'crew concept' becomes a sort of shared character sheet that everyone can draw on.

But you know, it's free if you want to make your own mind up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

potatocubed posted:

I haven't seen this posted here yet: City of Mist is a PBTA noir superhero game, which diverges from 'core' PBTA in a number of interesting ways. It's currently in a limited 'pre-KS' release, so you can have a poke through the rules for free.

I've had a look through myself and I think it's got a lot of potential and a few issues. I really want to like it, but some of the moves need tightening up (Investigate, for example) and it's got a few jagged bits and pieces which make me wonder how it would work out in play. And it badly needs a structural editing pass -- too many concepts talked about before they've been introduced. And the moves don't offer much to support the supposed noir elements. I do like the system for character gen and development, though, and the way your 'crew concept' becomes a sort of shared character sheet that everyone can draw on.

But you know, it's free if you want to make your own mind up.

Cool

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Antivehicular posted:

So you take a page from Burning Wheel and tie advancement to how much you spend? This means the PCs and the plot advance in rough correlation to one another, and distinguishes Fortune as an extra floaty booster that doesn't make anyone stronger.

I haven't read the system myself, but would that break anything?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

An interesting thing (based on my skim) about City of Mist is that it seems to be statless; your character has a bunch of tags based on your powers or backgrounds (three each in four categories, going by the pregens), and when you want to do something you bring in as many tags as are relevant, then you roll and add the number of tags you're using, minus a point for every weakness you have that would matter (one weakness per category). But as near as I can tell, there's no upper limit on how many tags you can bring into play; I saw a way for one of the pregens to get a base +4 on Convince rolls.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Evil Mastermind posted:

But as near as I can tell, there's no upper limit on how many tags you can bring into play; I saw a way for one of the pregens to get a base +4 on Convince rolls.

Yup. On the one hand, my instinct is to warble about PBTA maths (where you should never be able to go higher than +3) but in CoM harm is tracked as statuses that range from 1 to 5, and which subtract directly from your dice roll when they're relevant -- so you're going to want to be able to crank those numbers once you start picking up statuses.

I'm dubious, tbh, but I want to see how it plays before I condemn it completely.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, this is definitely a "I need to see this in motion" situation.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
If it works, it combines what I love about PDQ with what I live about PBTA. Which is something I've attempted and failed many times.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's got some things I don't love, but it seems like a great basis for some real cool stuff.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ugh, I didn't fund the Masks kickstarter when it was possible, and I'm tempted to app to the many new masks games springing up here. :( Is there an ETA for when you can buy it?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
City of mist - there are a lot of tags in play from this. A whole lot. I'm thinking 3 or more+ will be the norm, not the exception.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, looking at the sample characters it seems that you'd have to stretch quite a bit to find tags to use as drawbacks for most moves. Still, that's the sort of thing that's very easy to tweak at this stage in development.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Decided to try and run the City of Mist trial scenario on the forums. If you haven't read it you're welcome to join in, or pretend you haven't read it...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787835

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It occured to me today, that Boiling Point: The Game would be a great fit for a * World game.

You know, the head chef shouting at everyone, while a line cook sneaks out for a toke to handle the stress, while the proprietor keeps cutting stuff everyone needs for their dice rolls to keep the place afloat and Maitre'd does his goddamn best to keep Kitchen Nightmares' camera crew near their tablr while others figure this poo poo out.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Just popping my head back in, having to take a break from RPG stuff, but one of my oldest friends turned 30 and for his birthday I made him two PBTA games. One took... longer than the other.

So here's Anima Mundi, a PBTA hack of Anima: Beyond Fantasy.

Yes, you're seeing that right. It's 56 pages. No, there's nothing but playbooks in there.

Each character is made up of a playbook (their class) and two "minibooks" or one "megabook" which represent their abilities. They can gain more over time.

The MC sheet is near the back of the pack, with another copy of the moves. It's designed to be printed on A4, flip short edge, actual size. I'm sure you'll work out the rest.

Hope it's something of interest.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

madadric posted:

Play Fellowship, which has rules that not only support, but enforce the role of the "Big Bad" and their generals as fictionally powerful enemies.

I'm running my first game of Fellowship on Sunday. I'm going to be the Dragon Emperor, who is a Master General and cannot be defeated on the field of battle. I'm planning to start the players off with a chase scene through the Time To Go set piece, presumably on their way to warn some settlement about the overlord's Horde rampaging toward them (but they might have other ideas about that).

Is there anything that I should know, or that might help, other than what's in the book?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nifara posted:

Just popping my head back in, having to take a break from RPG stuff, but one of my oldest friends turned 30 and for his birthday I made him two PBTA games. One took... longer than the other.

So here's Anima Mundi, a PBTA hack of Anima: Beyond Fantasy.

Yes, you're seeing that right. It's 56 pages. No, there's nothing but playbooks in there.

Each character is made up of a playbook (their class) and two "minibooks" or one "megabook" which represent their abilities. They can gain more over time.

The MC sheet is near the back of the pack, with another copy of the moves. It's designed to be printed on A4, flip short edge, actual size. I'm sure you'll work out the rest.

Hope it's something of interest.

I don't think the MC Sheet was included. What page is it on?

Also, drat, that's a lot.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Not sure how that happened - should be fixed now and it's on p54.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I've made my first update to Impulse Drive since putting it on Drivethru RPG as a free preview. I think these changes make it a much better game.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190933/Impulse-Drive-Preview

Version 2.4.1
pre:
21/08/2016: Removed Hooks mechanics to prevent negating Disadvantage and exploiting Foibles Advance farming.
            Removed gaining Advances when a Foible is activated. Now Advances are gained when the player rolls a 6-. Foibles may be activated to make this more likely.
            Added the Assist move, to give players a way to give each other Advantage, at the risk of a roll.
            Rewrote Hooks to establish starting relationships between Crew Members, and generate starting Foibles for a new game.
            Editing changes to numerous moves to remove references to old mechanics and add references to new mechanics. 
24/08/2016: Removed the Hand and Reach ranges. Changed Overheat option/tag on weapons to be Discharged, using same terminology as Shields and Moves.
25/08/2016: Updated card images, updated entries for gear with correct tags. Added Mystic Weapon card.
            Modified Skirmish Move to include discharging weapons to deal double Harm. Modified Fury Unleashed to still be relevant.
            Changed the terminology for 10 day weeks from deca to dekim, and 20 day month from dodeca to ekosim.
28/08/2016: Rewritten Calamity to be more uniform in distribution, and have more interesting mechanical and fictional effects.
            Added "Change Difficulty" rules to the Drifting section.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Glazius posted:

So you take a page from Burning Wheel and tie advancement to how much you spend? This means the PCs and the plot advance in rough correlation to one another, and distinguishes Fortune as an extra floaty booster that doesn't make anyone stronger.

I haven't read the system myself, but would that break anything?

I suggested this to the author a few years back, so I definitely think it would fix things. It would be a good house-rule, I think, and one that can be blanket applied to every 'bennies-as-xp' system.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Just a heads-up for any Apoc World 2E backers, the second edition final draft is now out (you can access it at apocalypse-world.com with your kickstarter-associated email address). It's got a lot of additions and other nice things!

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I noticed something that had bothered me before going through the new 2E draft:

Have there ever been any rules/recommendations/suggestions of how healing works outside of the Angel Kit? It says at 3:00 and 6:00 you can just make them feel better, otherwise they heal naturally like everyone else. I guess this implies that those are the natural healing times?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a few other healing abilities. The gunlugger can get a medkit, the quarantine can have a medical lab and the waterbearer can heal with a ritual. I haven't checked the new rules but prosthetics might work as well. Aside from that there might be an npc you can barter with.

E: There's a section on this in the book

IF THERE’S NO ANGEL
If there’s no player character angel, healing falls entirely to you. Here are your choices, case by case:
• No healing available. ey’re poo poo out of luck.
• ere’s a particular NPC medic. Name this person, make her human, make PC-NPC-PC triangles with her. Create her as a threat. Don’t give her an angel kit or play it out like you would with a PC angel. I usually just go with a 1-barter cost (make them buy) plus appropriate time and care per segment healed.
• ere’s an NPC medic, but she isn’t important. Medical care is pretty much an abstract given, they pay their barter and erase their segments, 1 for 1. You should still give her a name, but don’t create her as a threat until she develops into a real someone.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 31, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So in the vein of Paolomania's "Some Heartbreaker", I've decided to start turning the skill system for my d20-based game to be more PBTA-like

A blog post is here.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Is there still no way to buy Masks if you didn't back the Kickstarter? I've been looking for a superhero game and it's got all that spicy teen drama that I love so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Is there still no way to buy Masks if you didn't back the Kickstarter? I've been looking for a superhero game and it's got all that spicy teen drama that I love so much.

Like Urban Shadows, Masks is mechanically solid and taking forever. Read the G+ page to get a link to the backerkit, but it's still not published.