Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i finally read the geography of nowhere after it being mentioned here so many times

its very good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bloody posted:

getting mad over w being pronounced west in a context where w means west is kind of weird

But using "west" can make your meaning ambiguous when you tack it on to a highway number. You either mean "the westbound side of the highway," which might make sense to someone unfamiliar with Minneapolis's roads, or "the western fork of the highway which runs north to south." Just say I-35 "W," save everybody at least a split second of confusion.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nah you pretty much always mean "the highway named ## West" which is a unique identifier for a set of lanes traveling in a specific direction (which may or may not be west)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bloody posted:

nah you pretty much always mean "the highway named ## West" which is a unique identifier for a set of lanes traveling in a specific direction (which may or may not be west)

It isn't named I-35 West, it's named I-35 W, for exactly the reason I gave.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well somebody should've pointed that out like 7 pages ago

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and name your poo poo less stupidly

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Literally millions of flyover state five figgy fucktards have no problem understanding the naming scheme so

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that said, gpses are dumb and inconsistent. sometimes i hear them call the quadrants here "ENN DOUBLE YOU" instead of "NORTHWEST" or whatever. they almost always called the N/S directionals in arlington just the letter, probably because they stick them at the end of the street for whatever reason

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

at the date posted:

five figgy fucktards

i miss this thread

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

at the date posted:

Literally millions of flyover state five figgy fucktards have no problem understanding the naming scheme so

in it voted 5 dubya

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

at the date posted:

But using "west" can make your meaning ambiguous when you tack it on to a highway number. You either mean "the westbound side of the highway," which might make sense to someone unfamiliar with Minneapolis's roads, or "the western fork of the highway which runs north to south." Just say I-35 "W," save everybody at least a split second of confusion.

aaaaactually

interstates ending in odd numbers are north-south, so there is no way you can head westbound or eastbound on i35. i35w or i35e has to be the name of the road when it splits into two parallel sections, not the direction pf traffic.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I've never been to mpls but there are sections of 35W that run E/W

you dumb fuckers are supposed to use numbers in front of the interstate number to indicate forks and rings like everywhere else in the goddamn country

e: I guess DFW does it too, and on i35 again. is it a double city thing?

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 24, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

theflyingexecutive posted:

I've never been to mpls but there are sections of 35W that run E/W

you dumb fuckers are supposed to use numbers in front of the interstate number to indicate forks and rings like everywhere else in the goddamn country

e: I guess DFW does it too, and on i35 again. is it a double city thing?

i think it is for splits bigger than loops that go around a city

some sections may be geographically heading east of west but you are still getting on i35 northbound or southbound

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
nah they've been phasing out those old suffixes for awhile now

next time there's a widening project or smth they'll come down and those signs'll be replaced w/ proper numbers

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
actually wikipedia says that the naming system for i35e and i35w was changed to the 3 digit loop names in 1973 but i35e/w names were grandfathered in

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i don't think there are any plans to rename it:

quote:

Historically, other interstates were given directional suffixes. On every other interstate, the directional suffixes were phased out by giving the route a loop or spur designation (such as I-270 in Maryland, which was once I-70S), or in some cases were assigned a different route number (such as I-76, which was once I-80S). In the case of I-35, since both branches return to a unified interstate beyond the twin cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, the AASHTO committees allowed the suffixes to remain.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i think it is for splits bigger than loops that go around a city

some sections may be geographically heading east of west but you are still getting on i35 northbound or southbound

yeah I get that, but going west to get on i35 east southbound is some bullshit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i blame texas

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if they insist on pretending that mpls-st Paul and Dallas-ft worth are pairs of cities of equal importance, they should do i35M i35P i35D and i35W or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i sure hope this thing gets built

http://www.georgetownrosslyngondola.com/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

same

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

loving pussies, all of them

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

haha every car has a sign:
fire? don't pull the loving cord
sick? don't pull the loving cord
terrorist? don't pull the loving cord
a police officer or mta employee tells you to pull the cord? don't pull the loving cord

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm at a local bar and they've got some cool old CTA memorabilia, a bus stop sign and a fare box

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

haha every car has a sign:
fire? don't pull the loving cord
sick? don't pull the loving cord
terrorist? don't pull the loving cord
a police officer or mta employee tells you to pull the cord? don't pull the loving cord

what happens when you pull the cord?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lampey posted:

what happens when you pull the cord?

e-brake and electricity cutoff

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/769364399157018625

Not sure how comparable trains are but still that's like 5x the price

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we have real safety standards here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

we have real safety standards here

No driving trains while drinking dunk's :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/769364399157018625

Not sure how comparable trains are but still that's like 5x the price

the first article mentions the Amtrak contracts include long term support but its not mentioned in the brief snippet of the second article.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also they're apparently different trains with the Amtrak ones meeting the more stringent American safety requirements.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Getting people to use rail instead of cars is why more important for transportation safety anyway.

(and most rail incidents are caused by cars)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's hard to find comparable statistics but eyeballing these two doesn't convince me that trains in the USA are any safer than Europe (especially excluding the old Soviet states)
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Railway_safety_statistics

https://oli.org/about-us/news/collisions-casulties

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also the US trains are 186mph vs 125mph, which is a big difference. hes that guy that takes a picture of a base model shitbox into the dealer and wants the super expensive sportscar for the same price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shaggar posted:

also they're apparently different trains with the Amtrak ones meeting the more stringent American safety requirements.

engineering a passenger train rolling bunker to survive a full on frontal crash with a freight train is dumb and pointless, you install safety equipment along the track that gets the passenger train to stop before it runs into the broken-down freight train like we do in superior kommunist europe

• Locked thread