Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My chaos campaign was kind of weird because the Skaeling actually offered me a peace treaty out of the blue. The relationship never advanced beyond that despite a very, very high rating, but it didn't matter. Once the Varg were gone I didn't have to murder goddamned vikings anymore. The Skaeling ended up killing all of my vassals and taking over the North. I helped none of them to avoid going back to war with the Skaeling and it worked out pretty well. They turned into a constant stream of marauder stacks and actually helped me out quite a bit by simply attacking the Empire and leaving me the hell alone for once.

I started that campaign with Kholek and my second legendary lord was Sigvald. I didn't get Archaon until really late in the game. He then proceeded to get assassinated twice and was completely loving useless as he kept having to be replaced by generic lords. I'm ok with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I'm playing as sigvald and kholek, and just as I got my act together the lord 'o change shows up and I end up benny-hilling down to sylvania and back again before killing him with the baersonlings, I'm getting the feeling it's going to be a while before I have enough float to raise a third stack, let alone get starcrusher and the auric armour to make battles easier :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pnutz posted:

I'm playing as sigvald and kholek, and just as I got my act together the lord 'o change shows up and I end up benny-hilling down to sylvania and back again before killing him with the baersonlings, I'm getting the feeling it's going to be a while before I have enough float to raise a third stack, let alone get starcrusher and the auric armour to make battles easier :(

Top priority as Sigvald is to build up one single omega stack so you can get the armor.

Once you have it, he and some hellcannons can kill pretty much any city you care to name.

Unless Altdorf is defended with multiple luminarks with cavalry support in a narrow alleyway. :gibs: Well over a hundred of Slaanesh's finest gave their lives screening Sigvald and his perfect hair.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally got my first VH win as Empire, 178 turns. Funny how the Age of "Peace" led to the Empire turning into a giant thunderdome between members of the former Grand Alliance as their armies headed north to murder Norsca, while I had to basically race my armies east to kill the Vampire Counts as fast as possible before my neighbors broke our trade treaties/declared war on me. Meanwhile, Grimgor had taken the entire Badlands but somehow was hesitant to declare war on me despite marching into my lands to finish off the Dwarves.

It was a hilariously close-run thing in the end, practically a base race now that I think about it.

Time to go Dwarfs, but I dread their lovely agent game; Warrior Priests were invaluable at keeping corruption at bay and getting armies replenished in a single turn, Light Wizards are probably the best spellcasters in the game, and Witch Hunters stopped the flood of agents from causing too much public order trouble. I wonder if there's a mod that makes Dwarf agents a lot more accessible out there...

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Top priority as Sigvald is to build up one single omega stack so you can get the armor.

Once you have it, he and some hellcannons can kill pretty much any city you care to name.

Unless Altdorf is defended with multiple luminarks with cavalry support in a narrow alleyway. :gibs: Well over a hundred of Slaanesh's finest gave their lives screening Sigvald and his perfect hair.

any suggestions for the doomstack? I'm currently thinking chosen and dragon ogre spam.

it reminds me of that staff of volans mission with the gazillion halberds but this time they're all elites

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pnutz posted:

any suggestions for the doomstack? I'm currently thinking chosen and dragon ogre spam.

it reminds me of that staff of volans mission with the gazillion halberds but this time they're all elites

19 Giants because it looks funny during sieges.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Safety Factor posted:

My chaos campaign was kind of weird because the Skaeling actually offered me a peace treaty out of the blue.

Same thing happened with me, and shortly afterwards (around turn 30-ish, having sacked Praag for the achievement and wiped out Kraka Drak) I decided I might as well go for all the Chaos achievements, and cloistered myself in the Chaos Wastes to build five one-man hordes with pillars of skulls and do research. By the time I got the 24-techs achievement, Estalia had apparently eaten Bretonnia offscreen, and VC had killed the Empire with the aid of Skaeling. I walked over to sack Baersonling a couple times and that was that, short campaign victory.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pnutz posted:

five exalted heroes and a magician of each type.

Sigvald should be played like an RPG.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Krazyface posted:

Did you remember to invade and subjugate immediately after you awaken a new tribe? Truly subjugated tribes will never turn on you or each other.

This is no longer good advice to do after they patched it, now if you attack right after awakening to subjugate a tribe your diplomacy rating plummets to the biggest negative and has consequences.
Meaning even subjugated tribes will be breaking away form you at first chance they get as well as making factions such as Greenskins and VC super likely to declare on you while otherwise its not too hard to avoid conflict with them(they're not part of your victory condition so you'd rather avoid war with either of them).

Best bet nowadays is just to awaken them, then wait for them to declare on each other, pick a side and either subjugate or destroy the opposite side. Also the Norscean awakened tribes do not matter in the long run, who cares if they murder themselves forever up there, their only use is for Siglald's unlock and for faster replenish while you move trough that area of the map, and you don't want to stay up north for too long.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
And got Call of the Beastmen and Grim and the Grave from my friend. Can't wait until I have the free time to play it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Krazyface posted:

Did you remember to invade and subjugate immediately after you awaken a new tribe? Truly subjugated tribes will never turn on you or each other.

They actually can. If you declare on a tribe that you weren't already at war with, for example, your vassals may choose not to join you, thus breaking the alliance. I think it's the only way for a vassal to break their status outside of declaring war on the superior power. In one of my early campaigns, before I realized trying to take the whole North as Chaos is a waste of time, I went to war with some norse tribe and one of my vassals said "nah, gently caress that" and broke their treaty with me. So then I tried to re-subjugate that tribe and one of my other vassals decided "nah, gently caress that" and broke their status, and when I went to re-subjugate them a different vassal said "nah, gently caress that", etc. Eventually I just gave up and went south.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It is funny to consider the chaos invasion as the rage of the frustrated nation builders. They couldn't build the Greater Norscan Empire, so gently caress it, BURN IT ALL DOWN.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

My normal VC game is finally getting legs at turn 100. Orcs are shivving Dwarves for me, the Empire is only just expanding beyond the two provinces they've been squatting in all game (Empire Secessionists had a higher strength rating than them up until recently), Kraka Drak and Kislev are still up and at 'em to blunt the Chaos invasion for me, and I've finally figured out how to properly leverage my units to fight actual real battles, even when the odds are against me! Now that I've sorta got them figured out, VC are a hell of a lot of fun. Especially Terrorgheists - I played a dwarf siege and the sight of the giant vampire dragons swooping around and murdering the hell outta some dwarves was properly nerdchill-inducing.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URX21pDclOo

New lore Rallypoint.

Edit: Volkmar gets -15% upkeep and +30% Wpn Damage for Flaggelants, starting army looks like Flaggelants, the Tattersouls, and Knights of the Blazing Sun.

Knights of the Blazing Sun are pretty strong, somewhere between Empire Knights and Reiksguard overall, but that flaming damage makes them really good vs Vamps.

Flaggelants look hilarious, no armor, no defense, unbreakable, crazy offense and damage output, especially under Volkster where they're rocking 57 Wpn damage on turn one.

Volkmar's Chariot looks super pimp but I want to know what it actually does and if it can cast Banishment like in TT. Otherwise he's got some tweaks to the default Empire Campaign/Leadership trees and has powered up versions of all the Warrior Priest skills.

Ghorst gives 20% replenishment map-wide and gives poison to his whole army as campaign bonuses, starting army is Graveguard, a Corpsecart, and The Dire Pack. His mount is...interesting. Gives him a huge HP pool and massive damage, but makes him as slow as a Zombie. He gets his special summon ability (Graveguard/Wight King) in place of the normal Raise Dead spell. Actually looks like a really interesting support-oriented legendary lord.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 24, 2016

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Anyone familiar with the TT/lore care to speculate what role Flagellants and the Free Company militia will play for empire armies?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Anyone familiar with the TT/lore care to speculate what role Flagellants and the Free Company militia will play for empire armies?

I'm not familiar with either but the steam page for the DLC lists unit attributes:

quote:

Free Company Militia
While state troops form the mainstay of the Empire’s military forces, its armies are often bulked out by ad-hoc regiments of militia who are recruited to fight as and when required. No one can foretell how many will turn up at the muster, or what their fighting quality will be. After all, these irregular troops receive no formal training or discipline.

Free Company Militia are dual-role hybrid troops. Armed with both short-range pistols and swords, the can fight as the situation demands. With the Vanguard Deployment ability, they can be deployed deep in the field.

Flagellants
When battle is joined, bands of crazed Flagellants beat themselves into a frenzy before charging headlong towards the enemy. They throw themselves into the fray without hesitation, against the most hopeless of odds. With howls of doom on their lips and visions of martyrdom in their thoughts, Flagellants fight with wild ferocity, swinging their flails at their enemies and leaving trails of blood and woe in their wake.

Flagellants are both Frenzied and Unbreakable. Their Strength of the Penitent special ability super-charges their fighting skills, conferring enhanced physical resistance and melee defence.

So Free Company Militia might make decent flank attackers (able to blast with pistols and fight decently in melee) as well as ambushers and the like due to vanguard deployment. Flagellants look to be shock troops but without the armour that greatswords have.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Choyi posted:

This is no longer good advice to do after they patched it, now if you attack right after awakening to subjugate a tribe your diplomacy rating plummets to the biggest negative and has consequences.

They patched that?

gently caress you CA. That made being up north bearable!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Flaggelants are pretty crazy looking, 40 Melee Attack, 40 Dam (57 if you went Volkmar) unbreakable, frenzied, but zero armor and 10 defense. They will die like flies but never break and do insane damage.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Choyi posted:

Meaning even subjugated tribes will be breaking away form you at first chance they get as well as making factions such as Greenskins and VC super likely to declare on you while otherwise its not too hard to avoid conflict with them(they're not part of your victory condition so you'd rather avoid war with either of them).

Best bet nowadays is just to awaken them, then wait for them to declare on each other, pick a side and either subjugate or destroy the opposite side. Also the Norscean awakened tribes do not matter in the long run, who cares if they murder themselves forever up there, their only use is for Siglald's unlock and for faster replenish while you move trough that area of the map, and you don't want to stay up north for too long.

oh that's some piss right there. i bet that can be modded out, though. there are a couple of lines in diplomacy_current_treaties_to_diplomatic_options which govern which treaties can be canceled, and it looks like vassals of ai powers can never secede, but vassals of players can nope out. changing that true into a false might make this go away

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Arms flailing around in the corpse cart is a nice touch. Their stats look terrible though so I hope they aura they give is worth it or it'll end up as useful as the black coach. Ghorst starts with the prestige wolf pack so I assume they'll distribute other prestige units to the other lords. I don't see anything that's obviously his poison attacks in the skill point tree so I think he starts with them which makes his early game way easier than any other VC. Having all your zombies and skeletons be 25% more effective at everything than enemy units of the same type just seems like automatic victories.

Someone was saying how it won't be a big deal in mp but this would be gamebreaking in mp but I'm pretty sure campaign bonuses don't apply to mp, especially since you can pick leaders who you can't pick in the campaign.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Trujillo posted:

Someone was saying how it won't be a big deal in mp but this would be gamebreaking in mp but I'm pretty sure campaign bonuses don't apply to mp, especially since you can pick leaders who you can't pick in the campaign.

Can't wait to see Ghorst and Vlad in MP with the abilities intact and also they cost 4k for the bare frame.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

madmac posted:

Flaggelants are pretty crazy looking, 40 Melee Attack, 40 Dam (57 if you went Volkmar) unbreakable, frenzied, but zero armor and 10 defense. They will die like flies but never break and do insane damage.

good times were had with those dudes back in med 2, this will be no different :getin:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Kaza42 posted:

Just had my match against Asmodai_00

First Match: He played Beastmen against my Empire. Suuuper close one here, came down to the wire. My steam tank proved the MVP, tying up units while the rest of my army moved their asses. I didn't target the Net very well, so he got off some good harassment with chaos hounds, and those Cygors were eternal pains in my side.
Second Match: He played Dwarfs against my Chaos. I took more artillery than him (2 hellcannons to 1 cannon), and was able to lay a trap around the center hill. My hellcannons devastated his elite infantry before the lines clashed around the middle, and Sarthoreal pulled his weight with some nice Hounds.

All in all well fought. I'm learning better micro I think, and my Chaos Knights fared far better than my cavalry in the last round.

End Result, I won 2-0

Replays:
https://mega.nz/#!GRxVBQzI!QnHY7mhCxOkiDzvxvzXpzhaF15XVSqroZOK9X_6ggzk

Asmodai got off some beautiful rock throws against the Greatswords with his Cygor, which is why Kaza's units should have spread out and used thinner formations. Asmodai's timing on sending his dogs in was good. His Gors were wasted fighting the Steam Tank, maybe Khazrak could have done that since his chariot seems to make him armour-piercing. Karl Franz and the Steam Tank did a lot of the work this match, as you'd expect against Beastmen.

Chaos vs Dwarfs: Asmodai made the classic mistake of setting up a gunline only to find that the Chaos player has brought a Hellcannon, forcing him into a hasty advance. He could have thinned out his formations to reduce losses to the explosions, because there's nothing quite like a Hellcannon for that. Not sure why Asmodai wanted to play on the Chaos Wastes map, but watching all those Chaos Warriors and Knights crest the hill and then descend en masse to massacre his Dwarfs was pretty epic.

Round 2 post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=176#post463266988

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Already looking forward to taking over the world using Volkmar fielding armies of nothing but Flaggelants

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

So going off the leak, which so far seems to have been accurate, wood elves should be the next dlc after grim and grave looks like. Can probably assume Brettonia will come with them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KnoxZone posted:

Already looking forward to taking over the world using Volkmar fielding armies of nothing but Flaggelants

I hope they have crazy screams.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Mukip posted:

Not sure why Asmodai wanted to play on the Chaos Wastes map

I had no idea it was so veritcal. I just randomly picked one from the list for giggles.

That being said those games were fun as hell.

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 24, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

It's looking like my GPU will be out of commission for a while so I don't think I'll be able to make my match :(

Also new DLC looks amazing, definitely buying.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

What's the preferred multiplayer meetup group? Discord? Steam? Myspace?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Free Company being hybrid units is going to be good just for the possibility of making an early-game Empire army that isn't 8 Swordsmen, 6 Crossbowmen, and 4 Spearmen all the drat time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Asmodai_00 posted:

Theoretically: Any of the above.

Realistically: None of the above.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't wait for a NIght Gobbo DLC with Skarsnik, Grom, and seventeen varieties of Squig.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
What I don't get was that if CA was going to pull a relative unknown for a legendary lord, why couldn't it have been Ushoran instead of another necromancer? It would of fit in with the regular lord they got and you could do something fairly interesting with the concept, considering he never went mad like the other Strigois. Give him the infiltration LL bonus that Vlad got because Ushoran is a high grade schemer.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ushoran

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Asmodai_00 posted:

The true pro TWW'ers schedule matches using Xanga.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Arcsquad12 posted:

and seventeen varieties of Squig.

At least after Radious gets his hands on it. Squigs with great weapons. Squigs with bows. Squig chariots. Squig doom divers. Immortal Squigs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pnutz posted:

A bazillion chosen and a few hellcannons work fine.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

DeathSandwich posted:

What I don't get was that if CA was going to pull a relative unknown for a legendary lord, why couldn't it have been Ushoran instead of another necromancer? It would of fit in with the regular lord they got and you could do something fairly interesting with the concept, considering he never went mad like the other Strigois. Give him the infiltration LL bonus that Vlad got because Ushoran is a high grade schemer.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ushoran

Because they went all in on the book Sigmar's Blood; a fairly forgettable 8th edition campaign book. That's why all the Empire renown units are nobodies just like Ghorst. It gives the DLC a distinct theme but it has led to barrel scraping.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
So is it normal for the endgame to be curbstomping Chaos? In my restarted Dwarf game it's barely turn 90 and I've allied with every remaining non-evil faction, and Chaos is just bashing their heads against the Vampire Counts while my forces hit and run them, and on the other side, I have three stacks supporting the empire, which just recently led to a four-way gang bang of Archaeon and some Ever-Watching dude by Karl Franz, Gelt, and Ungrim (plus some other random Empire dude) in front of Altdorf. :stare: Even the Border Princes are getting in on the action. Chaos corruption is way more annoying than Chaos themselves, but maybe I just haven't really seen the real trick they have up their sleeve.

On the strategic tactics side, I've found baiting the Chaos hordes with my depleted stacks out ahead while an elite, reinforced stack stays in support range to be supremely effective. They just keep taking 2v1s over and over again and getting decimated. I've never played Chaos or anything so I have no idea where the gently caress they keep getting troops from, but unless they change their strategic center it's just going to be a meat grinder.

e: god drat gently caress hellcannons though

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 24, 2016

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I wonder if they'll make Free Company recruitable with no recruitment buildings. Hybrid troops that aren't good at anything, but can recruited anywhere at any time for cheap and can vanguard deploy seems like something that's kind of balanced. It give the Empire something to do when they have no recruitment buildings, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

HiroProtagonist posted:

e: god drat gently caress hellcannons though

Artillery with unbreakable morale is the dumbest loving thing.

• Locked thread