Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

dwarf74 posted:

My bid for $5 is still active.

I would legit offer like, $11 for Pathfinder Online on the assumption that they haven't got any debt. Dunno what I'd do with it but it would be nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This morning I found and read the entire thread. It is a thing of beauty dedicated to a song of poo poo and tears. :allears:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Still waiting for OGL All The Pretty Horses.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

Still waiting for OGL All The Pretty Horses.

:homebrew:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My offer for the Pathfinder license stands at 100 USD per share of common stock. Considering Paizo is a privately held company and has no common stock, that is $100 x 0 so $0. Fair deal, considering. I'd take it.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
If you are playing along at home:

The new, new,new,new,new,new,new.new,new date is Sept 23rd.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

For the very secret investor to make the game great again?

Does the world still have premade asset rivers that terminate abruptly all sqared off and poo poo?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Calidor posted:

That other company has been trying to get out of buying this turd for over half a year now?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Maybe by the time they buy it they can ride the nostalgia wave for Pathfinder. "Remember that game...?"

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
yeah. Retro-Gaming is in now.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Calidor posted:

It's the 24th now, what's the big announcement?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

When we posted two weeks ago, if no announcement had been forthcoming, we expected to be able to provide greater detail about the state of negotiations as of yesterday - this is the "substance" we expected to provide.

The situation is complex and sensitive - we do not have an announcement to make today.

It is highly likely that additional information will be provided next week.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wow, this game can't even die competently. :eyepop:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I thought the Revival thread was the new Pathfinder thread. I guess the Pathfinder thread is the new Revival thread.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I remember really liking horizons because you could be a dragon and poo poo. Then I tried crafting a dagger. Correct me if I remember wrong, but it went something like this:

Mine ore
Turn on smelting thing
Put ore in smelting thing
Wait
Pour an ingot
Wait
Hammer ingot
Sharpen ingot
About five more steps I forgot

Every step had a failure chance and required poo poo like a pair of tongs or different kinds of hammers. Dragons didn't use items, instead they had a separate skill for every action.

I played anarchy online at release and liked it tho

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is this still a thing?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

My bid for $5 is still active.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is this still a thing?

I doubt it. They haven't updated their blog since October.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

super sweet best pal posted:

I doubt it. They haven't updated their blog since October.

You can still sub to this ghost town for the same monthly fee as WoW.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is back in November but I don't care.

quote:

I feel like PFO has a Con of 12, but our current Hit Points are at negative 10. Someone needs to make a heal check to stabilize this game or else people are just going to see the inevitable and have to walk away from a fallen comrade. We can then only hope for someone to carry the fallen body to a 7th Level Cleric and cast Resurrection. I am however short on diamond dust.

It's beautiful.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Resurrection is a 7th level spell and therefore requires a 13th level cleric to cast it. So uncoincidentally, nothing is going to save this game now.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
https://goblinworks.com/blog/update-from-lisa/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Together you successfully took down all the Gatherings of Legends on schedule and managed to get the maximum 10 Gatherings on January 7th. Bob and I were a bit skeptical that the challenge could be met, but you proved us wrong with long hours of game play, alliances between settlements, and an unwillingness to give in despite the holidays being in the middle of the whole challenge.

The thought of people missing Christmas to do a lovely world event in a half-finished MMO that will be half-finished forever fills me with a deep and abiding sadness.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is the Pathfinder MMO more finished than the revival of The Matrix Online?

Orv
May 4, 2011
By existing, The Matrix is in a better spot.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Together you successfully took down all the Gatherings of Legends on schedule and managed to get the maximum 10 Gatherings on January 7th. Bob and I were a bit skeptical that the challenge could be met, but you proved us wrong with long hours of game play, alliances between settlements, and an unwillingness to give in despite the holidays being in the middle of the whole challenge.

The thought of people missing Christmas to do a lovely world event in a half-finished MMO that will be half-finished forever fills me with a deep and abiding sadness.

A strange game.
The only winning move is
not to play.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Morglon posted:

Blindness wasn't such a big deal if you were prepared for it much like any other debuff you could catch. Preparing involved getting your rear end to a vendor in town and buying a bunch of cheap potions and yes, that means extra inventory space being eaten up for everybody who can't remove certain things but usually it really wasn't that big a deal to keep a couple extra potions around.

Now if you weren't prepared it'd kind of gently caress you up but at the worst you'd just leave your adventure and start over, hopefully with a bunch of potions on hand.

Okay thread necromancy and poo poo but. No. No, this was very definitely not how Blindness worked in early DDO. Cure Blindness was something only tavern clerics (the only source of removing debuff spells in early DDO) could cast. It also cost a metric shitload of plat to cast on you, far more than a character of your level could reasonably be expected to have given that some rear end in a top hat kobold in the sewer quest could drop it on you. Along with Curse it was something that could end you enjoying a character until you could farm the cash for it to be removed.

Launch DDO is basically the game PFO wants to be. Only DDO already exists and the mystery investor is probably gonna turn PFO into their own private Sarenwrap erotic RP server.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I loved launch DDO Butcher's Path. That was the best.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

UnwiseTrout posted:

I loved launch DDO Butcher's Path. That was the best.

DDO has a unbelieveably large number of issues but goddamn is it fun to play and I still go back and sink some hours into that thing. Its very easy to gently caress up you're character build and be useless at higher levels and so much of that game is about setting up and building the most optimal character you can make. Its honestly the closest thing possible to experiencing DnD3.x you'll ever get because it actively embraced all the insanity that system has. Pathfinder online even it released perfectly wouldn't have nailed that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wish more online RPGs would try a less massive model. There's probably a decent market for games like Guild Wars 1 or DDO, focusing the gameplay on instanced missions and eschewing open world combat areas.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

I wish more online RPGs would try a less massive model. There's probably a decent market for games like Guild Wars 1 or DDO, focusing the gameplay on instanced missions and eschewing open world combat areas.

Why would I want 1 million players spending $60 once for a game, when I could have 100k players giving me $15+ a month forever.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Because a significant portion of those million players would be whales who'd buy cosmetics forever.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So is NewCorp the actual name of the company that is becoming aware Pathfinder is dead in the water reluctant to invest? Like, did they never reveal the company name so people came up with a stupid nickname?

That people in the comments for that update still have any kind of faith that the game has a chance to survive make me really sad. I guess when you've invested so much of your own time and money that even poo poo like "we got nothing but we got into with an unnamed agency that might gives us contacts to companies who might invest in us!" sounds promising.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Because a significant portion of those million players would be whales who'd buy cosmetics forever.

If it works for Sephora, it can work for Pathfinder.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

If it works for Sephora, it can work for Pathfinder.
*chuckles and chuffs quietly*

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
new email

The Road Forward posted:

Hello players of Pathfinder Online! Lisa here, with a sizeable update and roadmap into the future.

As many of you recall from my last address, I had hired an electronic game agent to look at the game and then come back to me with their recommendations. After spending almost a month analyzing the game, they presented me with their results. There was good and bad news given in this briefing. The bad news was that they didn’t feel that there were any large MMO companies that would be willing to put large sums of money into finishing the game. However, they felt that the game as implemented with the addition of some of the missing features would fill a niche in the marketplace quite nicely and felt that there was upside there for a more indie type company. They presented me with a list of companies for whom that might be a nice fit and I gave them permission to pursue talking to them.

But their biggest recommendation to me was to just finish the game myself. They felt there was a sizeable upside for Paizo. I was very hesitant to do this at first, but was determined to see what it might take financially to realize their vision. After doing some analysis I decided that it was time to not sit on the sidelines anymore waiting for a white knight to swoop in. Instead, I am committing to a one year timeline to finish off the following list of features that will finish out a feature set that I feel represents the game well. At that point, we will move the game out of Early Enrollment and hopefully be able to expand our staff and continue to add to the game as we always planned to.
To be perfectly upfront, we are going to have a very small team working on these features. Cole and Bob are onboard along with myself to bring these across the finish line. Because we have this small, scrappy team, we aren’t aiming to compete with the AAA MMOs of the world. Rather, we will be more of an indie MMO aiming at providing a fun and engaging game to a more niche market.

While creating the following list of features to work on, I had a number of factors to consider.

I looked for features where a considerable amount of work had already been done and it would only take a small amount of work to bring those features into the game. Settlement building upgrades are a great example of this. We had an environmental artist working on these for two years and much of his output has never been seen in the game.

I looked for features that activate elements that currently don’t work in the game. There is nothing as frustrating for a new player as being told, “Oh, that isn’t implemented in the game yet” when they encounter a feat or recipe or something else. Great examples of this are the ammo system or the gods.

I looked for features that will make it much easier for new players to learn the game and increase the probability that they will stick with the game. A great example of this is that we are going to create a Core Rulebook for the game which will serve as a way to not only learn the game but also as a great offline reference while you play the game.

I looked for features that helped to fill out the robustness of a facet of the game. Gushers for gathering and Alliances and Blacklists for settlement control are great examples.

I looked for ways to bring more revenue in for us to grow the operations through a more robust cash shop. Player owned houses is a great example here.

Finally, I wanted to deliver on some of the Kickstarter promises. Giving out the daily deals is a great example.

Bob, Cole and I then sat down with a pretty exhaustive list of things we would like to do and we debated how we could accomplish them and how long it would take. We only have a limited amount of both time and labor, so we had to look for the biggest bang for the buck.

The end result of that debate is the roadmap below. We have worked to provide a release schedule and an idea of the timing of each release to provide you with a clearer path about when you might expect new things to enter the game. As always, we will be crowdforging those features as we start to work on them to glean the experiences of the players.

To get this work done on time and on budget, we are going to need to be laser focused. It is going to take a gargantuan effort by this team. But with your support and continued input, we believe that it can be done. We have set up our roadmap so that it has some flex time where we will try to get more done than is represented on the map below. Many of these additional things will be related to various Kickstarter perks. Others are fun things that we would like to see added to the game but aren’t essential.

Of course, finishing out the feature set is only one half of the equation. We need quite a few more people playing the game for all of this to work. Thankfully, I have various marketing efforts planned that will bring in tens of thousands of people to try out the game. I just need to make sure that when I kick those plans into effect, that the game is to a point where they will have the best chance of sticking and becoming regular players. We aren’t at that point yet and it may take a half year or more before I am ready to bring a lot more players. But I wanted you to know that it will be coming as part of this takeover of the game by Paizo.

We felt that you needed this update and this roadmap. You have been so supportive of this game without any clear idea of what was going to get done, if ever, and heck, even if the game was going to survive another month. Well, those times of uncertainty are over.

Again, I would like to thank you for your support and encouragement over the past years. I hope to make you proud to be a supporter of this game.

-Lisa Stevens
CEO
Paizo Inc.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That all sounds very stupid…

quote:

I have various marketing efforts planned that will bring in tens of thousands of people to try out the game.

…and I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Remember when everyone assumed they created Goblinworks to shield Paizo from exactly this? I guess it was just more mundane and less sinister workforce and money allocation.

This looks so loving doomed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPY5P0TaC4k

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This is really weird. I thought Lisa Stevens was a relatively canny businesswoman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Angrymog posted:

This is really weird. I thought Lisa Stevens was a relatively canny businesswoman?

Well, she did hire Dancey in the first place…

Seriously, though, being great at business doesn't mean all the time forever.