Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

People without appointments come in all the time, and they'll try to squeeze them in. Usually they give priority to patients with appointments, but I can imagine situations like, okay, we have 10 minutes downtime, send in Mr. Smith, and he unexpectedly takes 20 and it sums up over a day together with the regular appointments that run over allocated time. I could imagine they want you to come in early so they know you're there and don't give your slot to a walk-in patient.

At least that's how, as not a medical worker of any sort, I guess it works where I live where medical care also works a little differently from the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Inspector 34 posted:

SA seems like a well rounded enough place that there has got to be a physician, general practitioner, or at least a doctor's office receptionist here to answer for some of this.

Is the scheduling just chronically optimistic? Is there some psychological reason why every single appointment must be at least 17 minutes late? I can understand how one appointment running long affects the several that follow, but how after decades of doing business can a single industry be so thoroughly apathetic about frustrating its customer base? I mean I know why they get away with it, but what is it about the american medical industry that doesn't allow for realistic scheduling?

I work at a skin care clinic. Everyone is pathologically late. On those magic days that everyone is on time, everyone is treated immediately. If you're lucky, people are only arriving 5 minutes late, it's normally close to 10. This takes up all the slack in the schedule. You advise arriving early to try to get people to come in on time. They still don't, but it's worth a shot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

SA seems like a well rounded enough place that there has got to be a physician, general practitioner, or at least a doctor's office receptionist here to answer for some of this.

Is the scheduling just chronically optimistic? Is there some psychological reason why every single appointment must be at least 17 minutes late? I can understand how one appointment running long affects the several that follow, but how after decades of doing business can a single industry be so thoroughly apathetic about frustrating its customer base? I mean I know why they get away with it, but what is it about the american medical industry that doesn't allow for realistic scheduling?

One possible explanation is that some clinics may overbook to avoid losing money if someone doesn't show up. If they're tightly scheduled and someone doesn't show up, then they basically don't have a client during that time slot.

(This isn't excusing it, but it's a likely explanation, at least in some cases.)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The last time I went to the local doctor, I took time off work and rearranged to get a split shift so I could go during his office hours. Got to the exam room, stripped down to that stupid paper/cloth gown and waited. And waited. I thought I heard voices out in the hallway but figured it was nurses. After 40 loving minutes I finally left the room, to find the dr and all the staff in their break room, with a birthday cake and streamers and everyone having a great time with a little party. They were shocked I was even there. The dr insisted he'd be in in about 10-15 minutes (I guess he had to finish his cake?) and he just totally forgot I was there.

Really? I know you're a year from retirement dude, but seriously, you loving forget you just saw me almost an hour ago?

I got dressed and went back to work. At least I didn't have to contest the loving office visit fee.

Now the peeve is trying to find a new loving doctor. That last time was about 8 years ago. I probably need at least a check-up in between that time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

STOMP STOMP STOMP

BANG STOMP

It is 1:45 AM on a work night you stupid oval office

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Poorly timed stoplights. There's one in particular near my house that's especially bad. There's a main road and a small little crossroad that has a stoplight. It has no sensors and just works on time.

Now, based on my observations, at least 95%of the traffic on this intersection, maybe more, comes from the main road. But this light gives equal time to both directions. And it's green for 40 seconds (I've timed it.) So when traveling the main road, you have to stop at this light pretty often, and most of the time not one single car goes through on the crossroad, unless it's peak traffic times.

I get home late one a week and go through this intersection every time, and due to its timing with another light, I stop at it most times and not once has a car come through on the crossroad at this time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I always figured that the "be there 15 minutes early" thing meant that they need you to do some paperwork before your appointment, and 15 minutes is a reasonable Time To Do Paperwork block of time.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

We're always really early for doctor's appointments, but that's because the bus either arrives there 20 minutes before the appointment, or 30 minutes after, and it's also never on time. I always try to be early, though, and 90% of the time it just adds to the 'sorry we're running behind' delays. I try to be understanding but at the same time, I wonder why they even bother letting people make appointments during their lunch hour.

Digirat posted:

STOMP STOMP STOMP

BANG STOMP

:agreed:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Mu Zeta posted:

Every other time I get a flu shot my arm hurts a lot the next day like I have a massive bruise. Other times I feel nothing. What's with that. The last two years were fine but I get nervous every time I come in to get it.

My pharmacist said that if you tense your muscles while you're getting the shot that's what makes your arm hurt.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Animated gifs of someone saying a whole line but the animation is only of the last few words.

I know they do it to save space, but man.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

My pharmacist said that if you tense your muscles while you're getting the shot that's what makes your arm hurt.

It's not caused by the tensing, it's just that the tensing might make it worse. Inflammation caused by the injection itself causes the soreness.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Digirat posted:

STOMP STOMP STOMP

BANG STOMP

Get out of my apartment, you aren't on the lease, I don't care how invisible you are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MisterBibs posted:

Animated gifs of someone saying a whole line but the animation is only of the last few words.

THat always throws me off because my brain tries to read the lips moving in the Gif and attempts to match them to the line so if it doesn't I feel really uncomfortable.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MisterBibs posted:

I agree with this but just gifs of people saying things in general, especially if it's something really long and they make like 6 panels in an album or something of them saying it. Just loving link a youtube of it or something.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Max posted:

I have asthma, so my doctors always recommend I get one since catching full blown flu can cause some serious breathing issues.

THIS

Between us we have a dozen serious health issues. That flu shot is a must. Last year I missed out because I was too sick all season to get one.

Bully for you, Mr I Never Get Sick Guy. No, you just haul all sort of viruses and crap around with your useless rear end, and get people like me in serious medical distress.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My friends on Facebook are loving idiots. I can't remember the last time any of them had anything to say that was said in text. I wonder what they do if they want to express something but there isn't already a loving image of Patrick Stewart with that caption on it?

whisper

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I get that it's hard to modulate your voice but how do you not understand that you are literally at least three times louder then a regular person

Like Jesus Christ. You're shouting. There is no loving way this is not registering to you

Why are these people like this

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My hearing is frequently hosed and I am so so paranoid about being a Shouty Person :ohdear:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Khazar-khum posted:

Bully for you, Mr I Never Get Sick Guy. No, you just haul all sort of viruses and crap around with your useless rear end, and get people like me in serious medical distress.

Never said I never get sick, just that I haven't gotten the flu, specifically, in a very long time. Call me a dick all you want if it makes you feel any better, but until common misconceptions like "it can give you the flu!" or autism or whatever get beaten out of the public's head, if it weren't me making you sick it'd probably be the guy next to me. There's also unfortunately no way (that I'm aware of) to prove that person X got person Y sick - if there were, there'd at least be something to guilt apathetic people into doing it. And for the record, when I even feel a little sick I don't go into work or out in general, when possible (although to be perfectly honest it's more out of laziness than altruism).

Anyway, on a more lighthearted note: phones auto-connecting to weak wifi signals instead of using mobile data. Every time I forget to turn it off on the way to work I always end up connecting to random eduroam networks with like 0.25 bars of strength and it always fucks up my pokemon go playing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

teenytinymouse posted:

My hearing is frequently hosed and I am so so paranoid about being a Shouty Person :ohdear:

People with hearing problems get a pass I mean I am seriously considering getting ear plugs for my next talk with my ancient neighbor but it's not really her fault

However I don't think every loud person has hearing problems.

Another pet peeve, people who think that giving them money or buying a drink when they ask for it is an invitation to talk with me. I'm human enough to understand that you are going to get a lot more fun out of 5 euros then I am...but not enough to listen to your essay about how the Bilderberg Group are lizard people who secretly control the world.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Inspector 34 posted:

Entitled idiots and dumbass people who wait way too long to come in for treatment. I went to an urgent care for a sinus infection a year ago and there was an elderly lady who was wheezing and looked like she was on the brink of death. She'd been having breathing problems for TWO MONTHS before going to an urgent care because a family member dragged her there out of frustration/worry. Those same people routinely hold everything up by being argumentative or uncooperative or generally asking the same stupid question 843 times interspersed with "did I leave the oven on" or "why am I wearing 2 different shoes"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

I get that it's hard to modulate your voice but how do you not understand that you are literally at least three times louder then a regular person

Like Jesus Christ. You're shouting. There is no loving way this is not registering to you

Why are these people like this

My voice is naturally very loud (not just in volume, but in the sense that it seems to "cut through" other sounds), and I have to be very careful to avoid speaking too loud. Frequently what happens is that I'll be speaking at a normal volume and unknowingly gradually increase the volume until it gets way too loud. This is mostly an issue in restaurants. I have to make a conscious effort to always concentrate on how loud I'm talking.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ytlaya posted:

My voice is naturally very loud (not just in volume, but in the sense that it seems to "cut through" other sounds), and I have to be very careful to avoid speaking too loud. Frequently what happens is that I'll be speaking at a normal volume and unknowingly gradually increase the volume until it gets way too loud. This is mostly an issue in restaurants. I have to make a conscious effort to always concentrate on how loud I'm talking.

I've always had that problem as well. It can get really annoying but working in call centres has helped me modulate it a lot better, even if it still creeps when I get excited.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The worst people in the world are the randoms at a bar or concert or w/e that bum a cigarette from you and don't pay you the courtesy of a conversation in return. Rude as gently caress.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every period movie with Emma Stone just looks like Emma Stone dressing up in stupid costumes. I never believe that it's a character for a second.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Every period movie with Emma Stone just looks like Emma Stone dressing up in stupid costumes. I never believe that it's a character for a second.

I think part of it is that she has a very...distinct/unique looking face, so it's hard to not think "Emma Stone the actress" when seeing her in a movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

THat always throws me off because my brain tries to read the lips moving in the Gif and attempts to match them to the line so if it doesn't I feel really uncomfortable.

You and I are as one.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ytlaya posted:

Same here. I have a "carrying voice" It's just the right pitch and volume that you can hear me anywhere in the house. My brother is the same. It's irritating as people are always telling me that I'm too loud even when I'm actively trying to be quiet.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of it is that she has a very...distinct/unique looking face, so it's hard to not think "Emma Stone the actress" when seeing her in a movie.

This, but with Leonardo DiCaprio.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Master Twig posted:

This, but with Leonardo DiCaprio.

I thought he was alright in Great Gatsby in terms of being convincingly in that "period", but I think the most glaring example is man in the iron mask. That movie sucked rear end largely because of him. It was likely he (or any of t he other main characters really) weren't even trying to sound french.

re: voice chat - I don't mind a loud/carrying voice as much as I hate an annoying+overly loud laugh. Like everyone else is chuckling in a normal volume but there's this one guy braying like a donkey and making a big scene.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've always had that problem as well. It can get really annoying but working in call centres has helped me modulate it a lot better, even if it still creeps when I get excited.

Same here, I've had the issue since high school and people are usually polite about pointing it out. My voice is by no means deep or booming but it definitely carries and can drown out other people. Working on phones in close quarters with others definitely made me more aware of it and helped me control and quiet down. Like a few others here I also have some hearing issues so that's probably part of it (tinnitus and "glue ear" on the right side) but I at least try to be mindful of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Murphy Brownback posted:

I thought he was alright in Great Gatsby in terms of being convincingly in that "period", but I think the most glaring example is man in the iron mask. That movie sucked rear end largely because of him. It was likely he (or any of t he other main characters really) weren't even trying to sound french.

They were all doing British accents. Except for Gerard Depardiueueueu since he can't do a British accent.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

re: voice chat - I don't mind a loud/carrying voice as much as I hate an annoying+overly loud laugh. Like everyone else is chuckling in a normal volume but there's this one guy braying like a donkey and making a big scene.

I like Jimmy Carr.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I like Jimmy Carr.

I feel like I'm missing a joke here, but then again it is you so...I don't know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I feel like I'm missing a joke here, but then again it is you so...I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGpnoQSLS4

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Noctone posted:

The worst people in the world are the randoms at a bar or concert or w/e that bum a cigarette from you and don't pay you the courtesy of a conversation in return. Rude as gently caress.

The worst people in the world are smokers, sorry.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

A White Guy posted:

The worst people in the world are smokers, sorry.

This.

I'm sure most of you can relate to this one--people who, when you're covering for someone temporarily, won't stop CCing you on their emails even after the primary has returned from leave. I'm not on your project! Please stop emailing me! I get that "reply all" is way too heavily used, but just once, I'd love to see someone use their noggin when answering emails. Further, I'm in Legal, so we have to scour every email recipient line to make sure confidential information doesn't leave the company. I'm just as busy as you are; if I can remove people who don't need this information from the reply line, surely you can too. It's two clicks! Not that hard!

More specifically, people who demand constant updates. We have an electronic database where everyone's documents are kept. It's not perfect, but it'll tell you when your document has started and if it's with Legal or Finance, and when it's done. We keep meticulous notes and drop every version of every document into this database when we receive it. We also CC the client when communicating with the external party, so they have exactly the same information we have (barring very confidential legal issues that would be constituted attorney work product, which they don't care about anyway). In addition, we communicate closely with a set of admins within each department and those admins ALWAYS know where their documents are in the process. Still, we get dozens of emails daily saying "WHERE IS XYZ CONTRACT?!" And of course they don't use the reference number they're assigned, they say "where is Dr. Bob's contract it's been a month" despite the fact that Dr. Bob is out of the country and not responding to emails. That, or the database will clearly say "IN FINANCE REVIEW" and instead of going to Finance, or their own admins, they come straight to Legal, knowing we can't do anything to help them. I am a lawyer but I'm not god--I can't make the guy sign your poo poo faster, and I can't fix your hosed-up math.

I've just stopped answering. Eventually they'll learn. Right?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

At least in my line of work, if I'm sending an email asking if there are any updates on (whatever), it's a very, very thinly veiled way of saying "why the gently caress is this taking so long?". It doesn't sound like it in your case but there definitely are people who drag their feet and need to be constantly prodded with emails asking for updates. Like if I tell a student I'll be at a conference for a week and won't have a lot of time to talk, that doesn't mean you get a week break. I always have to send an email every couple days asking them what's up otherwise they won't do poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My own favorite (mostly but not exclusively) workplace peeve reared up again.

Manager: "Will you do X?"

Me: "Sure."

Manager: "So here's what's going on, and why it would be really helpful for you to do X."

Me: "I can totally do X."

Manager: "Here is the story of my whole entire life leading up to the point where X became necessary. Here is that story again in Aramaic. Here is that story again from the point of view of the clown monster from IT. Also, it would be really helpful if you could do X."

My grandchildren: "Granddad's dying words were 'Yes, I can do X'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Murphy Brownback posted:

At least in my line of work, if I'm sending an email asking if there are any updates on (whatever), it's a very, very thinly veiled way of saying "why the gently caress is this taking so long?". It doesn't sound like it in your case but there definitely are people who drag their feet and need to be constantly prodded with emails asking for updates. Like if I tell a student I'll be at a conference for a week and won't have a lot of time to talk, that doesn't mean you get a week break. I always have to send an email every couple days asking them what's up otherwise they won't do poo poo.

That's exactly what they're doing. And in our company, Legal is always the problem, even when it's been sitting in Finance for a week because the client screwed up its own budget and can't do math. It's taking so long because you did your numbers wrong and refuse to log into the database or talk to your admins to find out where it's at. Sure, it's taking a long drat time, but it's with your people, not mine.

They've been told this a hundred times: get updates from your admins or the database. Legal does not have your updates.