Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Groda posted:

Gustable Adulous

saxany
i ned u 2 kil emberor
plz saxany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ice Fist posted:

My Latin teacher always got a kick out of the word defenestrate so now I always get a kick out of seeing it used.

Famous defenestrations for 100 Alex?

What are the first and second defenestrations of Prague?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Out of. And a breathtaking lack of concern with firearms is a primary characteristic of the period (although we've got examples of a guy on the eastern front and a plastered as gently caress torpedo bomber squadron commander emptying a pistol out the window and door respectively).
either in the old version of this thread or the medieval thread, Mr. Enderby mentioned an actor who That Guy From The Crow'ed a colleague of his because he borrowed a loaded gun for a prop and didn't check what it was loaded with

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Why DID they shove those people out of windows, anyway? Were windows a new fangled invention at the time and all the coolest people were doing it? Did windows circumvent any possible bullet proof magic? Was it somehow astrologically desirable?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm reading a book on Nazi agrarian, social, and regional policy (Uwe Mai, Rasse und Raum) and found this quote from a letter a "Reich landscape advocate" (Reichslandschaftsanwalt, unclear, I think self-proclaimed) with a publication on hedgerows to his name wrote to the Reich ministry for nutrition and agriculture. He finds the ministry's plans for the remodeling of the road network in the hamlet of Büschdorf insipid (geistlos) and unworthy of a German and concludes:

quote:

The ancient farmers' land in the West and South of the Reich is too valuable for cookie cutter draft work. Someone who does not have a feeling and appreciation for this can continue the large-scale Bolshevik work in South Russia.

i.e. "wow, maybe designing kolkhozes would be more your speed, plebe" :smuggo:

The ministry sent a delegation to take a look at the issue.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That is the most Nazi :iceburn: ever

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm having flashes and withdrawal symptoms, I want more updates on Operation Typhoon. :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Groda posted:

Gustable Adulous

:sterv: the ring

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
as soon as you develop popular literacy you get popular culture. the public is all over these guys, they can't loving sneeze without the broadsheets hitting the book fairs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leipzig_Book_Fair
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_Book_Fair

what did GA do when he landed in the Empire? made sure to have his legal justification for war published, that's what

anyway that's why there's jewelry with generals' faces on it

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 24, 2016

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

gohuskies posted:

I'd be interested if it's still around, do you have PMs? Happy to PayPal or whatever you the cost of shipping of course.

All yours and I do have PMs, hit me up with your shipping info.

edit to contribute something slightly: while the US didn't have a third nuke, they did have the material needed and could have made one fairly quickly. So yeah, operation unthinkable is... unthinkable.

e2: obv the time frame of this hypothetical matters a lot

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 24, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

anyway that's why there's jewelry with generals' faces on it

cyþan! inca aer frætwe, gebbidan:

"aelfred mec het gewyrcan"

edit: my old english is pretty earam, but that's an "Alfred Jewel", made for Bishoprics by Alfred the Great - late 9th century, it's got a representation of jesus (possibly) but more like Alfred himself I think, and is emblazoned with "Alfred had me Made".

edit 2: I've just noticed the similarity between "inka", ("same") and "ilk". Also that my grandad still says ilka for "the same", I didn't know he was a saxon.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 24, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

darthbob88 posted:

It was an anecdote about gun safety from one of HEY GAL's subjects that apparently struck a chord in the thread.
EFB but I have link.

And yet my takeaway is "Why the gently caress did anyone invent the wheellock?"

Like seriously how does this:

Get invented before this:

It looks like someone tried to weaponize a loving astrolabe.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 24, 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cyrano4747 posted:

That is the most Nazi :iceburn: ever

When Victor Klemperer reported in his diary that 'good aryan cats' were being taken away from Jews like him I felt like the entire Nazi project had fully jumped the shark.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

When Victor Klemperer reported in his diary that 'good aryan cats' were being taken away from Jews like him I felt like the entire Nazi project had fully jumped the shark.

only aryans are truly kind to animals, that's a central part of the nazi mythos's attitude to nature and had been for a long time by then

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

OwlFancier posted:

Eccentric 17th century engineers are not the most....sane of people. But then again, the Hoverboard so we people of the 21st century aren't judging.

Also, reguarding that ring popular history seems to have forgotten that famous admirals and generals got a shitload of cruddy merchandice sold of them. After Admiral Nelson died at Trafalgar there was huge amount of tasteless Nelson temed tatt.

Also, Napoleon chamberpots. Piss on the Ogre!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAL posted:

only aryans are truly kind to animals, that's a central part of the nazi mythos's attitude to nature and had been for a long time by then

There's an implication that the German cats are potentially racially superior as well.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The true test of technical skill isn't in how complicated you make something, but in how simple.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

My Latin teacher always got a kick out of the word defenestrate so now I always get a kick out of seeing it used.

Famous defenestrations for 100 Alex?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Deaths_by_defenestration

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Eccentric 17th century engineers are not the most....sane of people. But then again, the Hoverboard so we people of the 21st century aren't judging.

Also, reguarding that ring popular history seems to have forgotten that famous admirals and generals got a shitload of cruddy merchandice sold of them. After Admiral Nelson died at Trafalgar there was huge amount of tasteless Nelson temed tatt.

Also, Napoleon chamberpots. Piss on the Ogre!

I once went to an exhibition of memorabilia from Lafayette's grand tour, and they put his face on every product you could think of, like straight out of Space Balls.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

The true test of technical skill isn't in how complicated you make something, but in how simple.

Was the wheel lock invented by a German? I have my suspicions.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

is it as good as this thing?

Memento mori with death's head of Wallenstein, ivory, wood, and stones from his tomb, Science Museum, London
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/objects/display?id=92948

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

"um, ACTUALLY..."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

I agree but yet the wheellock actually caught on to a degree. I understand the desire for an improvement over the matchlock but I just can't fathom how someone went that far down the rabbit hole of designing a clockwork powered friction ignition system and enough other people decided that it was the best solution to the problem to start producing their own, before someone thought "what if we replace the match with a bit of flint and a striker?"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wheel locks were a really viable tech when the next best thing was the matchlock. There are good reasons they caused an assassination scare.

They were utterly eclipsed by the flintlock but they had their moment.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

I agree but yet the wheellock actually caught on to a degree. I understand the desire for an improvement over the matchlock but I just can't fathom how someone went that far down the rabbit hole of designing a clockwork powered friction ignition system and enough other people decided that it was the best solution to the problem, before someone thought "what if we replace the match with a bit of flint and a striker?"
that's the miquelet, it shows up by the late 1500s, and it's spanish

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wheel locks were a really viable tech when the next best thing was the matchlock. There are good reasons they caused an assassination scare.

They were utterly eclipsed by the flintlock but they had their moment.
no they were not, at least not for a while--doglocks and miquelets show up only a little later than wheellocks.

the wheellock is, comparatively speaking, durable and reliable. they'll fire in the wind or when it's raining. they replace the crossbow in home defense inventories among the prosperous middle class. they last a long time. they are easy to use.

solidarity with the wheellock

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

As for why flintlocks didn't come around quicker, they did. Snaplocks were a thing by the 1550s. From what I recall they were less reliable on ignition for a long time than either wheel locks or matchlocks and were mostly restricted to hunting

Efb by HeyGal

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

As for why flintlocks didn't come around quicker, they did. Snaplocks were a thing by the 1550s. From what I recall they were less reliable on ignition for a long time than either wheel locks or matchlocks and were mostly restricted to hunting b
ahahahaha nothing is less reliable on ignition than a loving matchlock, those dudes stand just in front of you in some formations and i've seen dudes' matches stub themselves out in piles of powder. sometimes, if the angle is just a little bad, it just won't go off

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not really HEY GAL, tat really means the sort of stuff sold in a single unit of currency shops. You got some right tasteless stuff with Nelson popping his clogs.

P-Mack posted:

I once went to an exhibition of memorabilia from Lafayette's grand tour, and they put his face on every product you could think of, like straight out of Space Balls.

If the t-shirt existed before the 20th century, I guarantee we'd have bootleg shirts like this of these guys. Same with novelty baseball caps.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Make America Revolutionary Again

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

If the t-shirt existed before the 20th century, I guarantee we'd have bootleg shirts like this of these guys. Same with novelty baseball caps.
I Nearly Starved To Death During The Siege Of Berg-Op-Zoom And All I Got Was This Lousy T Shirt

edit: maybe it's all the italians and spanish but for some reason i think the imperialists would be just fine with airbrushing peoples' names and faces on the side of a car

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kiss Me I'm A Royalist Catholic

I'm With Obstinant

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The Mad Halberstadter European Tour
Munster
Paderborn
Westphalia
Alsace

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

is it as good as this thing?

Memento mori with death's head of Wallenstein, ivory, wood, and stones from his tomb, Science Museum, London
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/objects/display?id=92948

The design is obviously superior (not a high bar) but yeah, that's something out of the Bradford Exchange

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I think the answer lies in the difference between peacetime and military technology. Wheellocks make sense in peacetime. Only a few well-to-do people will have pistols so the complexity of the weapon is not as much of an issue. Meanwhile the idea of a weapon that is ready to fire whenever makes for a massive advance as a personal defence weapon and wheellocks do fire faster than flintlocks. So even once flintlocks were invented wheellocks had a niche for a while.

The advantage of flintlocks, meanwhile, come into play when you are talking about outfitting large armies. Simplicity and ease of maintenance become a big deal.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

I think the answer lies in the difference between peacetime and military technology. Wheellocks make sense in peacetime. Only a few well-to-do people will have pistols so the complexity of the weapon is not as much of an issue. Meanwhile the idea of a weapon that is ready to fire whenever makes for a massive advance as a personal defence weapon and wheellocks do fire faster than flintlocks. So even once flintlocks were invented wheellocks had a niche for a while.

The advantage of flintlocks, meanwhile, come into play when you are talking about outfitting large armies. Simplicity and ease of maintenance become a big deal.

counterpoint: cuirassiers are real, and strong, and they are my friend

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Run from the Imperial Cavalry and you'll just die tired

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

counterpoint: cuirassiers are real, and strong, and they are my friend

but more cuirassiers means less Demi Lancers :shrug:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Clockwork solve all problem :saddowns:

I wonder what Germany would look like today if Hitler had somehow avoided the war, had roughly Franco's tenure, and spent all that time trying to implement all the kooky ideas in his and his guys' roster. Just imagine what he and Speer would've done to Berlin for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Clockwork solve all problem :saddowns:

I wonder what Germany would look like today if Hitler had somehow avoided the war, had roughly Franco's tenure, and spent all that time trying to implement all the kooky ideas in his and his guys' roster. Just imagine what he and Speer would've done to Berlin for starters.

Check out

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/apr/14/story-of-cities-hitler-germania-berlin-nazis