Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I haven't tried FatT yet, what makes it unlistenable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If anything Adventure Zone's biggest problem can be that it's so lovingly crafted that sometimes it gets in way of the actual goofs and pacing. See: the Crystal Kingdom arc which took like three times longer than it should have because the DM had so much plot and music (including Vocaloid perfomances) and quirky ideas to show off and no editor. Though he seems to have taken the criticism to heart since the current arc is so open and guided by the players' decisions.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh man I just finished the Murder on the Rockport Express series and it was seriously like, on the level of reading a Harry Potter book for the first time level of entertainment. It's amazing how funny all of them are, and when there's a good story for them to bumble through it's just great all around.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

I haven't tried FatT yet, what makes it unlistenable?

It's a bunch of people aware of fantasy tropes and problematic storytelling trying desperately to avoid any "bad storytelling" pitfalls. So, it comes across as a bunch of pretentious douchebags basically questioning everything they do and waffling, on-air and loudly and repeatedly, about everything because it isn't "character honest" or "respects the rules of the world". I love Austin Walker, but as GM he enables and encourages this behavior so at zero point do they ever feel like the group is involved in cooperative storytelling. It'd be like going to an improv show and every minute or so the group breaks character and goes "Wait, I just don't feel like my character Curtis would believe in this premise, it's really hard for me to yes-and this scenario".

Basically it's a podcast that seems like it was made solely for the enjoyment of its participants over actually being listenable. I can see how fun it might be to do a tabletop RPG campaign where you're constantly philosophizing on the motivations and belief systems that govern the world that's made, but it makes for aggressively unpleasant listening. It's really, really, really, really insufferably pretentious.

dylguy90 posted:

Oh man I just finished the Murder on the Rockport Express series and it was seriously like, on the level of reading a Harry Potter book for the first time level of entertainment. It's amazing how funny all of them are, and when there's a good story for them to bumble through it's just great all around.

Rockport's the high point of TAZ that still hasn't been topped in quality (although the most recent arc is making a good effort so far).

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Friends at the Table is an absolute delight, and manages to organically pull off some pretty remarkable story beats and character moments. It's probably better to start at season 2, though, just on account of everyone being more comfortable with the format and the editing being better.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Toxxupation posted:

Rockport's the high point of TAZ that still hasn't been topped in quality (although the most recent arc is making a good effort so far).

I mean, I'm ok with that, it was some really top-notch storytelling. I'd still listen even if it never reaches that level again.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Dammit, you guys got me started on this TAZ poo poo and now I want to play DnD again...

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Season 6 is on Hulu now.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So I caught up on The Adventure Zone. Any other similar podcasts worth catching up on?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

So I caught up on The Adventure Zone. Any other similar podcasts worth catching up on?

Fun fact: There are no other good D&D podcasts. I know because I've tried them all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

kayakyakr posted:

Harmontown has a D and D podcast that's good until they switch systems. I'll dig up the link to just the D and D portions. Here it is. Listen until they switch to Shadowrun (actually, you should abandon it a couple of episodes before then but that way at least you kind of, sort of get closure on the whole thing. Not really.)

Harmonquest, although not being a podcast, is also pretty good.

PostNouveau posted:

Fun fact: There are no other good D&D podcasts. I know because I've tried them all.

This is generally true, although I would argue Harmontown during D and D is the lone exception - and even then it can be hit or miss, it just turns out Spencer's an incredible DM and Dan's pretty good at improv. Friends at the Table is unlistenable (despite my, numerous, attempts to soldier through and like it) and has awful audio and Nerd Poker might be one of the worst podcasts I've ever had the displeasure of listening to.

TAZ is basically the pinnacle of D and D podcasts (to the point where it could be animated more-or-less untouched and be a genuinely incredible TV show like the Ricky Gervais show on HBO), somewhere far below that but still pretty good is Harmontown, and then there's basically nothing else.

dylguy90 posted:

I mean, I'm ok with that, it was some really top-notch storytelling. I'd still listen even if it never reaches that level again.

Just be aware that Crystal Kingdom is draggy as gently caress and at least twice as long as it needed to be, with two episodes of the arc being straight exposition dumps (one's so bad that Griffin literally apologizes mid-episode for it being solely an exposition dump). It's not bad, because no part of TAZ is bad, but it's the thus-far nadir of the podcast. It's worth struggling through an arc with severe pacing issues and a feeling of it being a total slog because it's both ~SUPER CANONICAL~ and still has some bright spots, but be aware that it seems to be an outlier qualitatively, since this most recent arc is Griffin course-correcting on all the problems that happened during Crystal Kingdom (at one point, he tells his party that it's not gonna be like Crystal Kingdom, which seems to be a metatextual confession that CK kinda got away from him).

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 20, 2016

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Nerd poker was good until Sark left.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Toxxupation posted:

Just be aware that Crystal Kingdom is draggy as gently caress and at least twice as long as it needed to be, with two episodes of the arc being straight exposition dumps (one's so bad that Griffin literally apologizes mid-episode for it being solely an exposition dump). It's not bad, because no part of TAZ is bad, but it's the thus-far nadir of the podcast. It's worth struggling through an arc with severe pacing issues and a feeling of it being a total slog because it's both ~SUPER CANONICAL~ and still has some bright spots, but be aware that it seems to be an outlier qualitatively, since this most recent arc is Griffin course-correcting on all the problems that happened during Crystal Kingdom (at one point, he tells his party that it's not gonna be like Crystal Kingdom, which seems to be a metatextual confession that CK kinda got away from him).

Crystal Kingdom is forgiven for being a bit of a slog because it has the one moment in all of their podcast that I had to completely stop what I was doing because I was laughing too hard. With it on in the background, marathon-style, it wasn't really much of a slog.

Only reason why I was avoiding Harmontown was because 1) I was looking for a full D&D thing, not some mixed D&D and talk, even if it was as high quality as Harmontown, and 2) I was looking for something ongoing. Definitely wish that Harmonquest was podcast rather than video.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

kayakyakr posted:

Only reason why I was avoiding Harmontown was because 1) I was looking for a full D&D thing, not some mixed D&D and talk

Again, the link I posted cuts out just the D&D portions. It's not ongoing any more but there's a good like, 24+ hours of content there. It's definitely worth listening to.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone else really dislike D&D podcasts/videocasts/whatever? 'cause I think they suck and D&D with Spencer was the worst part of Harmontown. It was fun/novel for maybe a couple months and then wore extremely thin for me.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Spencer was pretty much the only saving grace of the Harmontown D&D segments. He comes off as a very well-prepared GM who has to corral a bunch of spotlight addicts who don't really understand how the game works. They got better though, and HarmonQuest is loving amazing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Naylenas posted:

Spencer was pretty much the only saving grace of the Harmontown D&D segments. He comes off as a very well-prepared GM who has to corral a bunch of spotlight addicts who don't really understand how the game works. They got better though, and HarmonQuest is loving amazing.

There was some brilliant stuff in the D&D segments. Steve Agee as Woody Allen? (It was Steve Agee, right?) Matt Gourley as attorney Skeleton Gary? If they were actually focused, dedicated, achievement-oriented players, it wouldn't have been good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!

prefect posted:

Matt Gourley as attorney Skeleton Gary?

This was the high point of the Harmontown D&D campaign and also Harmontown in general.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

prefect posted:

There was some brilliant stuff in the D&D segments. Steve Agee as Woody Allen? (It was Steve Agee, right?) Matt Gourley as attorney Skeleton Gary? If they were actually focused, dedicated, achievement-oriented players, it wouldn't have been good.

Oh, there are some great bits, for sure. I'm mostly referring to whole segments that consist entirely of Erin fashioning a doll out of random objects and Jeff insisting that he gently caress everything.

I think Harmonquest balances nicely. They still have some good improvised bits, but are focused enough to continuously get into new, hilarious situations.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Naylenas posted:

Oh, there are some great bits, for sure. I'm mostly referring to whole segments that consist entirely of Erin fashioning a doll out of random objects and Jeff insisting that he gently caress everything.

I think Harmonquest balances nicely. They still have some good improvised bits, but are focused enough to continuously get into new, hilarious situations.

Giving Spencer the leeway to forcibly direct the cast to the next plot point makes the show flow much better than if they had just drunkenly meandered around like in the podcast D&D segments.

I'm also impressed that I only noticed one awkward edit to cut out a reference to Dan and Erin's marriage.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I got through Crystal Kingdom and didn't mind it too much, mainly because those guys couldn't avoid being funny if they tried. It actually seemed to drag less than the Petal to the Metal action sequence, which fukkin boggles my mind as Fury Road is perhaps my favorite thing ever.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

The Action Man posted:

Giving Spencer the leeway to forcibly direct the cast to the next plot point makes the show flow much better than if they had just drunkenly meandered around like in the podcast D&D segments.

I'm also impressed that I only noticed one awkward edit to cut out a reference to Dan and Erin's marriage.

I liked that, rather than the guests being just tossed a random character, Spencer created one for them. He obviously briefed them beforehand about character and motivation, too.

I missed the awkward edit, and I was looking for them, too.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Naylenas posted:

I liked that, rather than the guests being just tossed a random character, Spencer created one for them. He obviously briefed them beforehand about character and motivation, too.

Does anyone know if Greg Proops had talked to Spencer ahead of his first D&D session, or if Tylenol With Codeine sprang forth from his head in a flash of inspiration?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Dark One posted:

Does anyone know if Greg Proops had talked to Spencer ahead of his first D&D session, or if Tylenol With Codeine sprang forth from his head in a flash of inspiration?

The latter, Spencer posted on the Harmontown subreddit and if you read between the lines when he posted about Tylenol he eventually got super sick of Proops' plot hijacking bullshit as the character.

I really liked Tylenol but by the end all he did was show up and solve everything for the idiots at Harmontown via magic unicorn nonsense, removing all stakes or consequences.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I've picked up Drunks & Dragons and it's... not as good as Adventure Zone or Harmontown's D&D, but there is a lot of it. That's a plus! :sigh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sure does seem like there's an interest in podcast talk on this forum. If only there was a section specifically for that

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Escobarbarian posted:

Sure does seem like there's an interest in podcast talk on this forum. If only there was a section specifically for that

You can't be sassy about it when that section is called "Rapidly Going Deaf", a name which gives no indication that it's a subforum specifically for podcast discussion. I only found it because after you posted that I went hunting to see if you were being sassy or genuinely saying there should be a podcast subforum.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hedrigall posted:

You can't be sassy about it when that section is called "Rapidly Going Deaf", a name which gives no indication that it's a subforum specifically for podcast discussion. I only found it because after you posted that I went hunting to see if you were being sassy or genuinely saying there should be a podcast subforum.

It's also for talking about radio shows.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I mean, aside from an eventual movie, Community is over. What else are we going to talk about?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Naylenas posted:

In the first episode, Dan introduces Erin and then introduces Jeff as, "his other better half" but never refers to Erin as his better half first.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

kayakyakr posted:

I remember before TAZ, I used to listen to the Penny Arcade DnD podcasts, and they've had a few big high budget events with props and stuff. That was years ago though, don't know if it holds up, I've sorta grown to dislike them in general.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, aside from an eventual movie, Community is over. What else are we going to talk about?
How Frankie saved the show. Someone has to make the decision, and that person is me. That's my decision.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Megaspel posted:

I remember before TAZ, I used to listen to the Penny Arcade DnD podcasts, and they've had a few big high budget events with props and stuff. That was years ago though, don't know if it holds up, I've sorta grown to dislike them in general.

Acquisitions Inc is on YouTube, they have a great DM but they're definitely not focusing on being funny, they're just playing the game. Sometimes funny stuff happens but I listen for the story, it's pretty good.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Can only speak for myself, but when I see activity in this thread I come in expecting talk about the subject of the thread.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kayakyakr posted:

Every time I see this thread has double digit amounts of new posts, I think rumors of a movie might be out there. One day...one day.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dan Harmon is apparently leading up the writing on the reshoots for 'Doctor Strange', that's quasi-Community related!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Klungar posted:

Dan Harmon is apparently leading up the writing on the reshoots for 'Doctor Strange', that's quasi-Community related!

Doctor Strange is my favorite superhero. This might be awesome. :allears:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

They should have got Publick/Hammer to just write some Dr. Orpheus dialogue, but Dr. Rick Sanchez Strange works too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Klungar posted:

They should have got Publick/Hammer to just write some Dr. Orpheus dialogue, but Dr. Rick Sanchez Strange works too.

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Klungar posted:

Community shows up in Marvel movies all the time.

• Locked thread