Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Kalman posted:

Is there something they're trying to tell us about Scalzi???

He's worked really hard at fitting in with the SF crowd.

Edit: Abalieno, if you're really interested in this subject How to Suppress Women's Writing by Joanna Russ is a good place to start.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It feels like every time I'm like "Oh poo poo look at all the posts in this TBB thread" it ends up being Abalieno being a loving idiot and somebody else trying to reason with him.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Unlike most derails, though, this has been a really interesting opportunity to talk about perceptions of SF and gender norms. But maybe that's just me. :shrug:

The whole topic reminds me really strongly of the whole "women in software" phenomenon, where ads of "boys do science, girls screw it up" and selective personality tests created a self-reinforcing cycle of "men = STEM" bullshit that wiped out the self-reinforcing perception/reality cycle of "girls do software" (conveniently also walling women off from the shittons of money that started pouring in).

Science and STEM in general is also non-coincidentally a big part of sci-fi too, obviously, and that definitely plays a big role in the gendered perceptions of the genre regardless of the medium.

The reality is that lots of people like lots of different things and perceptions are almost universally bullshit. No one is 100% average, no one is normal.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So the third Laundry book seems to be much better than the second. Makes it much easier to get past the cringe-worthy nerd stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So the third Laundry book seems to be much better than the second. Makes it much easier to get past the cringe-worthy nerd stuff.

The series has its ups and downs, and as a rule, the odd-numbered ones seem to be better than the even-numbered ones for some reason, but Jennifer Morgue is generally considered the lowest point, so if you're past that hump, everything else should be reasonably smooth going.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

fritz posted:

There was a list going around the fan community a while back titled "60 essential SF reads":

And the list:

This list isn't great, it's far too heavily weighted towards the recent past and there's a lot of mediocre choices like To Say Nothing of The Dog over Doomsday Book or Foreigner over Downbelow Station. Nothing by Doris Lessing either, when you leave off a nobel prize winner something's not right.

Here's a slightly different list of great SF books:
Frankenstein By Mary Shelley
The Last Man By Mary Shelley (sometimes the greats get two slots)
The Description of a New World, Called the Blazing-World by Margaret Cavendish
Carmen Dog By Carol Emshwiller
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein
The Female Man by Joanna Russ
Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold
Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan
Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh
The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Female Man by Joanna Russ
Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree, Jr.
Kalpa Imperial by Angélica Gorodischer
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre
The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge
China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh
Judgment Night by CL Moore
Central Control by Andre Norton
A Cupful of Space by Mildred Clingerman
The People by Zenna Henderson
Shadow on the Hearth by Judith Merril
The Heads of Cerberus by Francis Stevens
Arslan by M J Engh
The Revolving Boy by Derv Nagy
Star Rider by Doris Piserchia
Islands by Marta Randall
Canopus in Argos: Archives by Doris Lessing
Hwarhath Stories by Eleanor Arnason
Falcon by Emma Bull
Synners by Pat Caddigan
Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler
Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle
Ragged World by Judith Moffett

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fez_machine posted:

Star Rider by Doris Piserchia

This is a great list but I'm particularly happy to see Piserchia get some love, she's my underrated favorite. I'd actually recommend Spaceling over Star Rider as her best but they're both great. She's also an example of how 'there are no women in SF back in the day'--this was a woman writer who was picked out as a notable new find by none less than Frederick Pohl. She has a story in Last Dangerous Visions. She stopped writing in 1983 because her daughter died abruptly, leaving her with a granddaughter to raise, and so her writing time was abruptly gone. Why didn't her husband or her daughter's husband raise the kid? Why was it her time that had to be sacrificed? She's a very private person and doesn't do a lot of interviews, but I'd wager she doesn't feel cheated by having spent more time with her family. It's just that when a crisis like that occurs, it's considered expected that the woman will drop outside concerns immediately. And so a female voice in SF was silenced, with no malice involved.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

occamsnailfile posted:

She stopped writing in 1983 because her daughter died abruptly, leaving her with a granddaughter to raise, and so her writing time was abruptly gone. Why didn't her husband or her daughter's husband raise the kid? Why was it her time that had to be sacrificed?

Both men died themselves soon after.

Doris Piserchia posted:

The three-year-old that Linda left me demanded a great deal of care, especially after her father became very ill with liver disease. After he died (she was seven), Joe began to fail and underwent open-heart surgery for the second time. They never should have cut him for he was too old and sick. It took him two years to die, years of being in and out of the hospital, and when he fell down, as he often did, and I could no longer pick him up, I put him in a nursing home five minutes from our house.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fez_machine posted:

This list isn't great, it's far too heavily weighted towards the recent past and there's a lot of mediocre choices like To Say Nothing of The Dog over Doomsday Book or Foreigner over Downbelow Station. Nothing by Doris Lessing either, when you leave off a nobel prize winner something's not right.

Downbelow Station is a hard recommendation because if you haven't read the other A-U books first, it's really hard to get into; I'd probably favour Cyteen over that. Definitely raising my eyebrows at listing Foreigner as the epitome of Cherryh's work, though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Unlike most derails, though, this has been a really interesting opportunity to talk about perceptions of SF and gender norms. But maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Yeah, but was that really how you'd like to discuss that subject?

quote:

The whole topic reminds me really strongly of the whole "women in software" phenomenon, where ads of "boys do science, girls screw it up" and selective personality tests created a self-reinforcing cycle of "men = STEM" bullshit that wiped out the self-reinforcing perception/reality cycle of "girls do software" (conveniently also walling women off from the shittons of money that started pouring in).

Science and STEM in general is also non-coincidentally a big part of sci-fi too, obviously, and that definitely plays a big role in the gendered perceptions of the genre regardless of the medium.

I think early female computer technicians were thought of as being like secretaries or nurses - junior assistants, doing practical unglamorous stuff, while the men did the real, theoretical work. I was just reading a book about Bletchley Park and there were loads of women there but most of them were doing boring repetitive stuff, while the people who got famous were men.

Also, think of the number of men who write things like "Reading Arthur C. Clarke made me want to become an engineer", or whatever. There's definitely a feedback loop. And now people are complaining that sf isn't encouraging young peopleboys to become engineers or programmers!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Some of the most accomplished early 20th century female astronomers were literally called "computers" and similar in that they were given the drudge work of processing data.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

less laughter posted:

Both men died themselves soon after.

Jesus :(

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Darth Walrus posted:

The series has its ups and downs, and as a rule, the odd-numbered ones seem to be better than the even-numbered ones for some reason, but Jennifer Morgue is generally considered the lowest point, so if you're past that hump, everything else should be reasonably smooth going.

Really ? I like Jennifer Morgue a lot better than Annihilation Score. There's some good stuff in AS, but it falls short. Maybe it's because I'ma sucker for James Bond-ish stuff.

And anyone who gave up on the series at any point should still check out Nightmare Stacks. Case Nightmare Red crossed with a romantic comedy is pretty awesome.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that's pretty heartbreaking. Poor lady.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Drifter posted:

I mean, is it so hard to understand? The rule is related to pronunciation, not spelling.

Isn't it related to a consonant vs vowel. An apple or a badger.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

goodness posted:

Isn't it related to a consonant vs vowel. An apple or a badger.

Sorta, but it's the "sound" that's important, not the actual letter. It's so the "a" doesn't slur into the word.

The word "homage" has two different accepted pronunciations.

In one case it would be "an homage" (ˈä-mij)

In the other "a homage" (ˈhä-mij)

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
rip

Quornes fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 24, 2016

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Quornes posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a scifi book. It was about a multigenerational colony ship. It spoke a lot about the problems facing this kind of ship, breakdowns etc. They finally arrive at their destination and attempt colonization, but a virus on the planet kills off the ones who went down. Some want to try colonizing the other planet in the system, some want to head back to Earth. The ship AI intervenes when fighting breaks between the two groups. They split the ship in half, and the book follows those heading back to earth. They eventually make it but the ship and ai crash into the sun after dropping off the colonists back at earth.

No one in this thread has ever heard of that book.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Aurora. Thanks for the spoilers, I'm not done with it yet :(

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

DurianGray posted:

Aurora. Thanks for the spoilers, I'm not done with it yet :(

I was about to begin reading that one too. Yay! :v:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Quornes posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a scifi book. It was about a multigenerational colony ship. It spoke a lot about the problems facing this kind of ship, breakdowns etc. They finally arrive at their destination and attempt colonization, but a virus on the planet kills off the ones who went down. Some want to try colonizing the other planet in the system, some want to head back to Earth. The ship AI intervenes when fighting breaks between the two groups. They split the ship in half, and the book follows those heading back to earth. They eventually make it but the ship and ai crash into the sun after dropping off the colonists back at earth.

And then snape kills dumbledore

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Edit your post, shithead.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
So Children of Time won the Clarke

I still would have liked Arcadia to win, but this is definitely a more sci fi choice

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I'm curious, neither of the lists of great SF/F by women authors (and John Scalzi) included The Left Hand of Darkness. Any reason why? I was just about to start reading it... has it not held up as well as The Dispossessed or something? I really enjoyed the Dispossessed so I assume I'd like most of LeGuin's work, but I just had to wonder.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

MockingQuantum posted:

So I'm curious, neither of the lists of great SF/F by women authors (and John Scalzi) included The Left Hand of Darkness. Any reason why? I was just about to start reading it... has it not held up as well as The Dispossessed or something? I really enjoyed the Dispossessed so I assume I'd like most of LeGuin's work, but I just had to wonder.

I think they were going for one definitive work per author and liked The Dispossessed better, but The Left Hand of Darkness is also really loving good.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

I think they were going for one definitive work per author and liked The Dispossessed better, but The Left Hand of Darkness is also really loving good.

Good to know. I won't hesitate to start it then.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'd The Farseer Trilogy just three books of Fitz getting beaten half to death and then poisoned repeatedly?

Cos if so, I'm in.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'd The Farseer Trilogy just three books of Fitz getting beaten half to death and then poisoned repeatedly?

Cos if so, I'm in.

Only three? Hell, there's two more Fitz-centric suffering trilogies after that. :getin:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

the_homemaster posted:

So Children of Time won the Clarke

I still would have liked Arcadia to win, but this is definitely a more sci fi choice
It's so good.

Summary: Future Earth terraforms a planet for an experiment using monkeys and an evolution virus. Things don't go as planned. Generation ship from Collapsed Earth earth finds the planet and needs it to survive. It alternates between ship and planet chapters.
If you want a generation ship story then Aurora is better but the rise of the planet is amazing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Children of Time is a much better book than Aurora; better plot and far far more interesting characters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kalman posted:

Children of Time is a much better book than Aurora; better plot and far far more interesting characters.

I hope this is true cuz Aurora loving ruled and I've got CoT waiting on my bookshelf.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

holocaust bloopers posted:

I hope this is true cuz Aurora loving ruled and I've got CoT waiting on my bookshelf.

Move it to the top of the "read next" list IMO.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's gonna wait for a bit. Midway through a Joe Abercrombie book and like two chapters in Downbelow Station.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kalman posted:

I agree but Aurora is more of a spaceship book and will scratch that itch better than CoT splitting time with colonies and having a narrower scope.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I started Children of Time last night, it's good so far! Really cool set up for what I imagine will be a Vinge-ian epic.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
In fact, just finished The Left Hand of Darkness today and as someone who hadn't read any of Ursula Le Guin's other work, it's super good and I definitely want to go read more of her stuff, so thanks for recommending The Dispossessed! What else of hers should I read?

The treatment of gender in The Left Hand of Darkness reminded me of the discussions I've been reading around Ann Leckie's Ancillary trilogy (though haven't read the series yet). How do they compare?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

saphron posted:

What else of hers should I read?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_K._Le_Guin_bibliography

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

saphron posted:

In fact, just finished The Left Hand of Darkness today and as someone who hadn't read any of Ursula Le Guin's other work, it's super good and I definitely want to go read more of her stuff, so thanks for recommending The Dispossessed! What else of hers should I read?

The treatment of gender in The Left Hand of Darkness reminded me of the discussions I've been reading around Ann Leckie's Ancillary trilogy (though haven't read the series yet). How do they compare?

Though I don't have anything to compare it to in her other work, do be prepared for a slow burn in The Dispossessed. It's been a while since I read it, but it's a pretty contemplative book that spends a lot of time digging into political and social philosophy. It's still an excellent book, just not standard sci-fi fare.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
I'm not going to reopen the topic because it's obviously not the place for a open discussion about that, but I also do not accept to see it described as *my* meltdown because I always have to stop the discussion because others' meltdowns force me to close it, after accusations and veiled insults.

So just a few points, and then I draw the line and stop.

1- I have a blog for when I want to elaborate my thoughts, and I go to forums when I'm looking for a open discussion.

I might as well have a limited and uninformed perspective, and that's partially the reason why I want to challenge my personal perspective and come to a forum to see it challenged and confront with people who probably have different opinions. Otherwise I'd stay in my soapbox and not engage with what people reply. Which is what most people do: stick with their own convictions, or align themselves to what they perceive is the social norm to have less troubles as possible.

2- Stop the straw men. The discussion started from that 90% white guy library. It's a statistical observation, and the discussion continued based on statistical observations. Or better, statistical guesses. Coming from my own perception of how the genre has been in the last 30-40 years. This argument had two main aspects. One was to figure out if my own perception of this history is somewhat close to the truth, or needed to be corrected. The other was just about saying that logically if guys made the bulk of the audience, because of that self-reinforcing loop everyone also recognizes, then it would be logical, statistically, to see the same ratio appear: composition of readers, aspiring writers and published writers.

I was just turning the discussion into something objectively measurable instead of personal opinions: if the "genre" audience is represented by a certain ratio of men to women, then if we have the same ratio with published writers it means there's nothing weird going on. Otherwise, if the ratio is wildly different, then it's true there's a true discrepancy. So my thesis was: are we sure that, not today but historically, there was a very big discrepancy that would then expose a deliberate discrimination?

And then we discussed the causes, even if no one followed up on that: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554972&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=431#post463508666

All of these are the same flavor of straw men:

quote:

There have always been women involved in geek/genre stuff.

quote:

Have you never seen a kid in a toy shop be steered away from an aisle because the stuff on it 'isn't for girls'?

quote:

We decided that women have never actually been into this "reading" thing because they actually prefer romance novels.

quote:

You fall in the knee-jerk defensive category of white people who don't like to talk about race because it makes them feel icky

Yes, women have always been part of the genre. I never stated the opposite. The argument was whether or not they have historically represented 50% of genre. Yes, a woman can play a role playing game like D&D, no one is shocked or surprised, but is the statistical distribution comparable to men? It was an overall observation about trends, stating very simply that if women have been historically a minority in genre, then it would be logical that a similar ratio would show up in the ratio of published writers too.

3- About the Puppies. I think (again statistically) they represent a very tiny portion of the public. But they can make a lot of noise (and acquire an importance they don't really have), and do some damage. But they are not relevant in the big picture because while a reader can have her/his own political views I don't think anyone reads a book TO MAKE a political point. We decide what to read, but we don't make a "demonstration" out of it. Do they have leverage on publishers? I do not know, but I'm skeptical about it. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

In any case if you think they are toxic for the community you don't fight them by shutting down discussions or turning every of their arguments in a straw man too. That's how they fester. The more people get locked up in two groups and create a sense of identity by building hostility to the other group, the more you exacerbate the problem itself. Or so I think.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I pulled up your blog once. You like to pat yourself on the back on there about how you come into the book threads on SA and post some outlandish opinion just to "shake the hive up."

You can gently caress off.