Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

King Vidiot posted:

I only just heard about it yesterday, so did the thread hear about or talk about retroUSB's upcoming AVS console yet? http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78

It sounds amazing, and apparently it actually uses a real chip that can behave like a real NES and you can set the clock speed differently to run PAL games on an NTSC or vice-versa. So it's not a poor emulator clone like a Retron or whatever. Also it has HDMI out and doesn't cost loving $400, nor does it cannibalize existing hardware.
It uses a FPGA to emulate the NES cpu and ppu. No original NES's were destroyed to make the AVS, unlike the Analog NT.

Bunnyboy also built some wireless microswitch based controllers that he plans on releasing later this year. This is the current prototype:

I have one preordered with Quadralords. I am going to slot it in my Nintendo Tent while I continue my hunt for replacement monitors for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anybody know where I can get a decent replacement battery for a psp 1000

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Don't have time to try this for a couple of days but is it possible to use Goomba on a gba ever drive and run nes and game boy games?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aw c'mon, is a 32X really worth $200. Even CiB, it's a 32X.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Maybe I should look into playing Truxton as well...

You should absolutely play Truxton. The MD port is a good starting point, as it has an easy mode and they buffed the red weapon with a circular shield (at max power only) which takes care of those rear end in a top hat zakos that pop up behind you. Also the skull bomb is no longer aim-able and just nukes the whole playfield at once. The rom is exactly the same for all 3 regions, but seems optimized for 50hz. It's still playable on NTSC consoles. Includes those little fireballs on enemies as you damage them. :3:

The PC-Engine port is JP-only. It has great colors, music, and runs at the proper speed, but is actually harder than the arcade version on default settings due to the bullets being roughly the same speed but 1/3 less screen space to read them. The options menu can be accessed by holding select and pressing run at the title screen (as opposed to the soft reset which is holding run and pressing select). If you score exactly 7100 points and reset the menu gets more options to toggle, such as lives and bombs.

The arcade version is, of course, the master race. It looks and sounds beautiful and has ton of great animations everywhere (everything "wobbles"). But make no mistake, the Japanese name "Tatsujin" means "expert" and it's a tough checkpoint-based memorizer filled with gently caress-you-player moments. The static extends are as follows: stage 1 (green), stage 2 (red), stage 5(?)(blue) - this applies to all versions of the game. Adjust your weapon pickups accordingly, you really need those 1ups. Also, the game was designed with macro-dodging at maximum ship speed in mind; don't be afraid to pick up all those S-es.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

fastbilly1 posted:

I have one preordered with Quadralords. I am going to slot it in my Nintendo Tent while I continue my hunt for replacement monitors for it.
absolutely hideous

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

xamphear posted:

Good news! Krikzz has returned from vacation and put out a new ED GBA update that "Improve[s] SD cards compatibility".

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5509.0

Just pop the update file on your SD card and... oh.

Still not working for me. What a bummer. I hope he does another update shortly to resolve this completely.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

MrLonghair posted:

I bet Sakura Taisen lives on in pachislot form, just like all the old franchises that deserve better.

Sega never really got into the pachislot game, probably because PSO2 and mobile games are cheaper to make and theirs are doing pretty well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

I'm still knee deep in debugging my N64 SYNC issues and it's thrown me into the insane rabbit hole that is CSYNC/sync-on-composite/sync-as-luma. I'll probably do a boring technical write-up once I wrap it up, but for now I'm hoping to get just this clarified: Does the XRGB-mini actually require CSYNC, or can it can accept both sync-on-composite and sync-on-luma to some degree? I first thought it was the former at first, meaning that you'd be required to have a Sync Stripper somewhere along the line. But it appears that this was only true for older firmware on the mini; the current iteration can handle it just fine but it man require adjusting the sync levels manually.

My current working theory is that the sync-on-luma from my N64 is not arriving at the XRGB properly. Perhaps because the sync stripper in my current adapter going into the XRGB is interfering with it or otherwise not cleaning the luma properly to get HSYNC/VSYNC or that the stripper is not doing anything at all and in fact it's the XRGB itself that is screwing up the sync signal, meaning I need a new sync stripper. Or even because the N64 itself is not outputting luma properly, which I will be able to test when I get a S-Video cable.

I remember when I got fed up trying to figure out why my 1chip-03 snes was not giving me a stable image. They removed csync on that model and I couldn't remember what my cables were. Sync on composite or sync on csync? I got so fed up I just opened the SNES and literally jumped a wire from csync to composite sync. And guess what? It worked. I don't think it messed with the picture quality at all. Now I get a stable image. Is it crude? Yes. Did it work? Yes! Is it internally destroying something unbeknownst to me? No clue!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Zand posted:

absolutely hideous

It is pretty ugly, but it's pretty much just a nes controller with better grip.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The Neo Geo AES library is totally 1:1 with the arcade MVS library, right? It's such an odd piece of gaming history. I can't imagine an entire console library that's designed around working in a coin-op arcade setting.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Minidust posted:

The Neo Geo AES library is totally 1:1 with the arcade MVS library, right? It's such an odd piece of gaming history. I can't imagine an entire console library that's designed around working in a coin-op arcade setting.

The Neo Geo AES is the only system I can think of since RPGs became a thing that doesn't have a single one on it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fastbilly1 posted:

It uses a FPGA to emulate the NES cpu and ppu. No original NES's were destroyed to make the AVS, unlike the Analog NT.

Bunnyboy also built some wireless microswitch based controllers that he plans on releasing later this year. This is the current prototype:

I'm having difficulty typing a response to this post because for some reason my hands are trying to retreat into safety just from thinking about holding and using that controller

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
SamSho RPG is kinda okay :v:

Elliotw2 posted:

Sega never really got into the pachislot game, probably because PSO2 and mobile games are cheaper to make and theirs are doing pretty well.

PSO2 is basically Second Life Japan with more dress-up gaming than all the Project Diva and Idolm@ster games put together so that has to be a serious moneymaker

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MrLonghair posted:

I specified AES because of that. :v: Did that ever get an English translation?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

BattleMaster posted:

I'm having difficulty typing a response to this post because for some reason my hands are trying to retreat into safety just from thinking about holding and using that controller

If it helps, I meant that I had the AVS preordered, not the controller.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I remember when I got fed up trying to figure out why my 1chip-03 snes was not giving me a stable image. They removed csync on that model and I couldn't remember what my cables were. Sync on composite or sync on csync? I got so fed up I just opened the SNES and literally jumped a wire from csync to composite sync. And guess what? It worked. I don't think it messed with the picture quality at all. Now I get a stable image. Is it crude? Yes. Did it work? Yes! Is it internally destroying something unbeknownst to me? No clue!
I've already opened up the SCART cable to poke around a bit so I bet I could get the composite line hooked up to pin 20 (the sync pin) to do this too, but I'm not even sure if the composite pin on the N64 side of the connector is even hooked up because in theory it wouldn't be necessary on a sync-on-luma cable.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I had a old desktop that I got in 2006 that I never use anymore and found a crt monitor at Goodwill for 4 bucks...so it time to make a retro gaming PC for those games that you need to use a Virtual OS to run. I got a spare Windows 98 SE disc to install, but can't start yet since there is a storm in the area (last thing I want is a power outage while installing). But here the setup right now.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/768556619101634562

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Update on my Sega CD issue: it no longer makes that grinding noise. At all. Works fine still, it just all of a sudden doesn't make that grinding noise. Nothing like an issue resolving itself I guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fastbilly1 posted:

All I can feel is that right side handle digging into my palm as I try to hold it in a way that lets me press the buttons with my fingers instead of my thumb.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Update on my Sega CD issue: it no longer makes that grinding noise. At all. Works fine still, it just all of a sudden doesn't make that grinding noise. Nothing like an issue resolving itself I guess.

And as we all know if a mechanical issue mysteriously stops on its own, then it will never happen again.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

MrLonghair posted:

PSO2 is basically Second Life Japan with more dress-up gaming than all the Project Diva and Idolm@ster games put together so that has to be a serious moneymaker

I mean I've given Sega over $200 between PSO2 and Puyo quest because I'm garbage.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Random Stranger posted:

All I can feel is that right side handle digging into my palm as I try to hold it in a way that lets me press the buttons with my fingers instead of my thumb.

If you are a weird finger presser instead of thumb roller, yeah that's nopt going to work for you. But for normal people I think people are dismissing the functionality because of how ugly it is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

If you are a weird finger presser instead of thumb roller, yeah that's nopt going to work for you. But for normal people I think people are dismissing the functionality because of how ugly it is.

Thumb use is the devil's way to use controllers! Death to the thumbers!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

Well I have no idea how the gently caress you managed that on any of the original controllers, to be honest.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang the CD Drive on the PC is bad, so I have to find a spare somewhere. I can still use the old PC, but it stuck on Vista...a fate worst then death.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Monopthalmus posted:

Which product is best for converting RGB SCART to Ypbpr?
Aside from the one d0s suggested, somebody on NeoGAF suggested this one, though I haven't tried it myself to vouch for it. Somebody in the prior SA thread went ahead and bought one, but I didn't hear back on their opinion of it. This unit does get bonus points for having the audio-out built into the unit, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Well I have no idea how the gently caress you managed that on any of the original controllers, to be honest.

Left thumb on pad, supporting controller with fingers. Right fingers on buttons, supporting controller with the thumb.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

Left thumb on pad, supporting controller with fingers. Right fingers on buttons, supporting controller with the thumb.

This only seems like it could work if your fingers and hands are very tiny. Especially on the original NES controller, and then the SNES controller or anything else with shoulder buttons I can't even imagine.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Shadow Hog posted:

Aside from the one d0s suggested, somebody on NeoGAF suggested this one, though I haven't tried it myself to vouch for it. Somebody in the prior SA thread went ahead and bought one, but I didn't hear back on their opinion of it. This unit does get bonus points for having the audio-out built into the unit, though.

That was me. I was actually just going to post in this thread about my experience with it.

I bought one and have since returned it for a couple reasons.

Pros: I tested it on 3 CRTs (both flat tube and curved) and the image quality is very good. The colors are all correct out of the box. It really is just plug and play, no pot tweaking or anything like that needed. Not having to mod it for sound is also a nice feature. The seller is very good and was quick to address my concerns and offered to replace it, but I opted to return it.

Cons: It's hard to tell from the eBay listing, but the case is 3D printed. Not a huge deal, but it feels cheap and mine arrived broken in multiple places.

The reason I returned it is because the day I got it http://www.beharbros.com/ released a Component to Scart box. Basically the reverse of this box. I emailed them to ask if it was possible to run it as Scart to Component and they said no, but that they are planning to release just that in a couple months. Based on the quality of the Toro I have I decided to return it and wait for their release.

So if you need one right now, go for the one on eBay, but personally I'm going to wait for the Behar Bros one in the hope that it's even better.

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 24, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ooh, that's pretty rough. Though, didn't know the Toro guys were making a SCART to component box - that oughta be interesting.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rirse posted:

Dang the CD Drive on the PC is bad, so I have to find a spare somewhere. I can still use the old PC, but it stuck on Vista...a fate worst then death.

:crossarms: My god...... :rip:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Eh, could be worse. I knew a guy in college who was stuck with Windows ME.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
You never shut down Windows ME from the start menu, you just get a BSoD and decide to not bother doing a reboot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ah, Windows ME. Had to use that for a year and a half, because somehow my dad was convinced by the PC store owner (an old acquaintance of his) that it was the best possible OS for the computer we were buying in late '01. Even at 14 years old I knew perfectly well that nobody should ever use Windows ME and brought that up several times, but obviously the store owner knew better (and clearly wasn't just trying to get rid of his unsold copies of WinME by ripping off gullible idiots) and so we ended up with ME on that computer. Good times.

Tobaccrow posted:

You never shut down Windows ME from the start menu, you just get a BSoD and decide to not bother doing a reboot.
Sounds about right. Sometimes, if I was very lucky, I'd only get one or two BSoDs per session!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MrLonghair posted:

I bet Sakura Taisen lives on in pachislot form, just like all the old franchises that deserve better.

rip Gradius

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Yeah I knew that was going to be way more than I would want to spend :stare:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is original Xbox emulation completely dead? It seems like cxbx hasn't been updated since 2012 and Xeon's been dead for even longer. A shame if it is, I'd really like to play Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

flyboi posted:

Yeah I knew that was going to be way more than I would want to spend :stare:

By "way more than you want to spend" you mean "ludicrous" :toot:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MrLonghair posted:

Nah, it's crossover fodder for mobile games nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Random Stranger posted:

And as we all know if a mechanical issue mysteriously stops on its own, then it will never happen again.

I mean I still have a hammer in my toolbox in case of emergency.

• Locked thread