Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Wait. Ted Kord in the new blue Beetle isn't a 30-something retired blue beetle Ted Kord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

greatn posted:

Who the hell is Silk

A spider character who shoots white goop out of her fingers and becomes uncontrollably horny around Peter Parker.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sounds great who wouldn't.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Wait. Ted Kord in the new blue Beetle isn't a 30-something retired blue beetle Ted Kord?

He was just a young grad student at the end of Forever Evil. He's definitely been aged up a little for Rebirth to become a mentor (Blue Beetle keeps calling him Mr. Kord) but I think you can assume he's the same guy who just has his family tech industry money/stuff/knowhow to use and a shirt with the Kord logo that just happens to be a blue beetle.

The first page calls him a "sidelined superhero" but I think that's just meaning that he gets relegated to support in the base/bug (e:'till he gets his own BB suit in a few issues or whatever.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 24, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

He was just a young grad student at the end of Forever Evil. He's definitely been aged up a little for Rebirth to become a mentor (Blue Beetle keeps calling him Mr. Kord) but I think you can assume he's the same guy who just has his family tech industry money/stuff/knowhow to use and a shirt with the Kord logo that just happens to be a blue beetle.

The first page calls him a "sidelined superhero" but I think that's just meaning that he gets relegated to support in the base/bug (e:'till he gets his own BB suit in a few issues or whatever.)

*digs grave, lays in it, dies, begins spinning*

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:shrug: I like this Ted so far. Remember the scene in the Rebirth Special where Fate tells him the Scarab's not alien tech, but magic and he gets a big dumb excited look on his face.

e: and more than the geeky kid he was presented as in Forever Evil.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 24, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alucard Nacerima always poo poo himself and rants about diversity every time Jaime Reyes is brought up, its kind of... sad!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

:shrug: I like this Ted so far. Remember the scene in the Rebirth Special where Fate tells him the Scarab's not alien tech, but magic and he gets a big dumb excited look on his face.

e: and more than the geeky kid he was presented as in Forever Evil.

I didn't know Ted was in the new 52.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alaois posted:

Alucard Nacerima always poo poo himself and rants about diversity every time Jaime Reyes is brought up, its kind of... sad!

If only someone would Make DC Great Again

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't know Ted was in the new 52.

The N52 story: Lex Luthor was being all supervillain businessman, threatening Father Kord to hand over his business, then the Evil JL in Forever Evil bust up the place and Mr Kord falls to his death.
Lex helps save the world and decides to become a bit more of an anti-hero.
Ted Kord shows up going, hey Lex I'm now the owner of Kordtech or whatever but I'm just a dorky student genius. You have it after all.
Lex goes, nah kid youre a smart cookie you go get em.
Ted looked like this:

Now this issue drop us in the situation seen in that opening page. The Rebirth Special scene actually replays at the end of this one, so there's no further explanation.
Here's Ted now:

e: Justice League 3001 ended with a character apparently warping to the DCU. No reason JLI Beetle couldn't have secretly managed to do the same thing :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 24, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

God I hate that they retconned the scarab back into magic after like two runs of the book focusing on the actual alien race that made it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Justice League 3001 ended with a character apparently warping to the DCU. No reason JLI Beetle couldn't have secretly managed to do the same thing :)

Two, actually. Flash and Batgirl. And I doubt we'll ever see them again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jaime Reyes is absolutely the most significant character DC has created in ages. If that is a flaw in DC or not is up to you but he's the closest thing they've had to a serious successful rebranding in ages. Damian Wayne is probably right behind him but hasn't been front-and-center in marketing in the same degree and absolutely hasn't trickled into non-comic media as successfully as Jaime did (though he's getting close.) The major problem Damian has is competing with three other Robins of general success for public attention while Ted Kord is almost unknown and Dan Garrett may as well be Sir Not Existing In This Comic. Meanwhile the only time Ted Kord appears in anything is to die so Jaime has an origin story. (See: Young Justice, BatB and I think even Smallville implied that Ted died for Jaime's origin.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Two, actually. Flash and Batgirl. And I doubt we'll ever see them again.

I'd keep an eye on this Giffen/Kolins thing. For sure they're gonna jam Larfleeze in there somewhere.

ImpAtom posted:

front-and-center in marketing in the same degree

In any kind of recent history, Damian had two major events revolve around him and Jaime was a background character in Threshold.

e: Why are the DC and Marvel thread arguing about pretty much the same thing on new comics day? Read your gat drat comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 24, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

God I hate that they retconned the scarab back into magic after like two runs of the book focusing on the actual alien race that made it.

To be fair Lemire did something similar with his Animal Man run and the true source of his powers.
Also I can't believe more people aren't jumping over the "diversity ugh" post. Basically the whole post was saying these diverse characters suck and the only good characters that aren't white men are aliens. Jeez.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Jaime has appeared as a major character in, like, all the shows. He's been in multiple cartoons, at least one live-action thing, had a pilot made or almost made for his own live-action series, is in a bunch of video games, has spin-off cartoon-only characters with their own cult followings (Black and Green Beetles), and Dou loving Hong has a Blue Beetle animated series dream project he has put together a whole pitch for, with complete character models and poo poo.

Jaime already made it. He's an unambiguous success, and has penetrated enough pop media that a generation of children know and like him.

And he was only terrible in 3/4 of them, which is pretty good for a DC character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Another thing to note:

In comparison Damian Wayne is a major part of the comic universe but outside of that? He's appeared in BatB (as what-if future kid), a series of animated movies of mild popularity and he's the alternate costume for Nightwing in Injustice. He's more defined as being Batman's Son than Robin who he naturally has to compete with. He's never been a Robin in a major film or TV series (for obvious reasons) and in the Arkham games the Robin is Tim Drake. If you don't read comics you're not very likely to know who Damian Wayne is or to get him mixed up with other Robins. He's still successful enough to hang around for the long run in some form or another but he's the latest in an also-ran line of Robins and has to compete for mindspace with them even when he's getting a push.

Jaime meanwhile may as well be the Blue Beetle as far as most people are concerned and Blue Beetle is recognizable enough that he's been a selling point for several cartoons and he's one of the new additions to Injustice 2. Blue Beetle isn't a Robin-level hero but he's significantly more recognizable to non-comic fans than he ever was as Ted Kord. (And I say this as a huge Ted fan) The Nu52 hurt his push but the Nu 52 hurt everyone so that's not a huge surprise. For all intents and purposes Jaime is the Blue Beetle for the foreseeable future and Ted Kord will be his mentor or be dead. That doesn't mean a decade down the line he won't get fridged by some young Geoff Johns who is upset that Ted Kord isn't Blue Beetle anymore. But of the two, I'd put a better bet on Damian Wayne getting shuffled off to obscurity ("Batman can't have a kid, that makes him too old") or rebranded into a new hero ("I have this GREAT idea for a new Robin, so maybe he can become Darkbat!") first.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why are we slagging one or the other off again?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Damien is actually the default in Injustice. Dick's the alternate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Damien is actually the default in Injustice. Dick's the alternate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpA_kr7KUkU

Dick Grayson is the one they used when they revealed the character and the 'big twist' was that Alt-Earth Damien wasn't Dick but Damien.

Edit: Also checking, the default P1 option is Dick Grayson Nightwing, not Alt-Earth one.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I like Jaime but cmon, nobody outside of comics knows who the Blue Beetle is. He was a semi-regular on Brave and the Bold, a great show that nobody watched, and an important character for one season of Young Justice before that got canned. Meanwhile Damian has been the protagonist or co-protagonist of four of the last seven DC animated movies, which is a ridiculous amount of push for a new character. That Damian Wayne is basically the main character of the Justice League vs. Teen Titans movie while Blue Beetle is relegated to the background kind of says it all.

You don't need to read comics or Batman to understand and digest the idea that Robin is now the bratty son of the most popular character in comics. It's a really simple/good concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Equilibrium posted:

Meanwhile Damian has been the protagonist or co-protagonist of four of the last seven DC animated movies

The DC animated movies don't actually sell very well. They move around 150,000 units at most. In comparison Brave and the Bold at its worst did significantly higher than that per episode due to selling to kids on television.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 24, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jaime is Blue Beetle in the next Injustice game.

The comic was good. Reminds me of Batman Beyond, but instead of stern, hardened ol Bruce, we got goofy rear end Kord who barely knows more than the kid he put under his wing.

On a different note, my phone kept trying to autocorrect Kord to Lord. :spooky:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Guys guys, no one cares about either.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just to throw this onto the pile: Google has >31,000,000 results for Jaime Reyes and only about 470,000 for Damian Wayne, but Google Trends shows substantially more search activity for the latter, since about 2011. The Jaime searches are steadier over time, but the Damian searches have incredible peaks (and the valleys are also high, and after a certain point reliably higher than the Jaime searches).

Which I guess just indicates that, yep, both characters are great successes for DC and the company should be pleased with the response to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

699k if you include people spelling Damien Wayne.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And there's likely a number of people looking for Damian when they search for Robin.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Detective Comics...whoa okay. Fantastic drat issue, and obviously the ending is meant to make us think they're gonna do the thing...so, hopefully that means they totally will not do the thing. :ohdear: Please. You're doing so well, Tynion, don't ruin it by playing this the bad way.

"The Lies" portion of Wonder Woman, unfortunately, continues to be very much a slow burn; besides a few nice character moments (and I loved Diana's reaction to Steve's team. So perfect.) the story really doesn't move much from issue to issue.

The big-rear end takeaway of the issue comes only a couple pages in, in fact: the return of :haw: Sasha loving Bordeaux :haw: to DC canon, in a pretty major role from what we can tell, and a scene that's clearly meant to, well, remind us of Brother Eye...though, from their mentions of a "doctor," it would seem that Dr. Psycho is probably involved in...whatever all this is...as well? It's crazy how so many of Wonder Woman's biggest foes have been absent for so long from DC Comics, and it's really exciting to see Rucka playing with them all again.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What kind of monkey's paw deal did Keith Giffen make that gets projects like Justice League 3000 and a Ted+Jaime Blue Beetle series, but his banter's gone to crap?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

Jaime has appeared as a major character in, like, all the shows. He's been in multiple cartoons, at least one live-action thing, had a pilot made or almost made for his own live-action series, is in a bunch of video games, has spin-off cartoon-only characters with their own cult followings (Black and Green Beetles), and Dou loving Hong has a Blue Beetle animated series dream project he has put together a whole pitch for, with complete character models and poo poo.

Jaime already made it. He's an unambiguous success, and has penetrated enough pop media that a generation of children know and like him.

Uh so has Cyborg. Know why? Because they were part of DCs agenda so they crammed them into everything. Same reason we are getting Geoffs version of Barry Allen in everything because that's the version of the flash DC wants to push (Remember it was Wally West in the beloved Bruce Timm Justice League cartoons). This is very different then say cable being introduced in the X-men comics, becoming insanely popular, and then appearing in the 90s X-men series because of said popularity or Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain being brought back due to sheer fan demand. Characters like Cyborg and Ted Kord are being pushed by Didio and his ilk.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

Just to throw this onto the pile: Google has >31,000,000 results for Jaime Reyes and only about 470,000 for Damian Wayne, but Google Trends shows substantially more search activity for the latter, since about 2011. The Jaime searches are steadier over time, but the Damian searches have incredible peaks (and the valleys are also high, and after a certain point reliably higher than the Jaime searches).

Which I guess just indicates that, yep, both characters are great successes for DC and the company should be pleased with the response to them.

Jaime and Reyes are somewhat common names, you have to exact search for "Jaime Reyes" and "Damian Wayne" in quotes to really compare the two this way. Damian is significantly more popular (914,000) vs Jaime (373,000), but that should be obvious when Damian is a member of the Batfamily and has been a principal figure of a number of major storylines while Jaime has shown up in fewer comics than Dex-Starr since the launch of the New 52. It's not really a fair comparison.

Blue Beetle does make for a better kid's toy, though.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

BrianWilly posted:

Detective Comics...whoa okay. Fantastic drat issue, and obviously the ending is meant to make us think they're gonna do the thing...so, hopefully that means they totally will not do the thing. :ohdear: Please. You're doing so well, Tynion, don't ruin it by playing this the bad way.

He's dead, Jim. But seriously, that's the only way I can see this going, what with the rumor that DC wants to kill off another Robin, the final cover of this arc being everyone looking sad at a random bad dude who's clearly a placeholder for another character, and the next arc centering around Steph being mad at Batman.

Maybe Tim will fake his death or something? I doubt Tynion will leave him gone for long, since he's his favorite character.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like it when people say "agenda" in any context that isn't "this is a list of things I have to do today" because they immediately sound like a frothing lunatic

Also can we maybe not spoil comics that are barely a few hours old. Jeez

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 24, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Uh so has Cyborg. Know why? Because they were part of DCs agenda so they crammed them into everything. Same reason we are getting Geoffs version of Barry Allen in everything because that's the version of the flash DC wants to push (Remember it was Wally West in the beloved Bruce Timm Justice League cartoons). This is very different then say cable being introduced in the X-men comics, becoming insanely popular, and then appearing in the 90s X-men series because of said popularity or Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain being brought back due to sheer fan demand. Characters like Cyborg and Ted Kord are being pushed by Didio and his ilk.

Have you considered that you're actually a huge turd?

Apologies to Edge & Christian.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't even care for Jaime or any of those other characters but to say Larfleeze or goddamn Misfit are better characters is just insultingly stupid. Jaime is an objective success. I mean, I was in middle school when he was the runaway hit on Brave and the Bold. He's pretty firmly established.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

his banter's gone to crap?

He's a very old man writing arguing young people exactly like he did in the 80's and it's starting to sound pretty inauthentic.
I liked Sugar And Spike, JL3k, Scooby and this pretty okay, especially for the energy he gives the comics, but everyone says "Are you serious?! Not helping!" all the time.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Bleeding Cool reports that The Question #17 from '88, featuring Vic meeting Rorschach in a dream, will be part of the DC vs. Watchmen story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh gently caress, please don't make the Question into a Rorschach stand-in. The whole point of that issue is that Rorschach is a lovely role model.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Deathstroke has been a rather pleasant surprise for me so far.

I feel like it's attempting to make him sympathetic without shying away from the fact that he's not a good person, which helps a lot.

Also, I really enjoyed Blue Beetle. Still not sure if retconning the Scarab back to being magical was a good idea or not, but I'm at least enjoying how it feels a lot closer in tone to the 2006 series than the New 52 run ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Boo on magical scarab. All his transformations are robot lookin and alien!