Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

Just got a call from our insurance adjuster about a hailstorm that hit us over a month a go. Adjuster says we need a full roof re-shingle, eavestrough replacements along with some fascia and soffit work. Luckily our skylite is OK.

$10,500 estimate but stuck with the $2500 deductible. Same storm that gave $6000 hail damage to the company Tacoma.

Well, better than all out of pocket I guess. :(

Phone posted:

Eat the eggs smash mouth

Rhyno posted:

SMOKE THOSE GODDAMNED EGGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drink the vinegar, meatpimp.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
God drat, just lit a bunch of charcoal with nothing but an $18 heat gun. Worked a treat. Never going back to chimneys and firestarters and newspaper and arrrrg. Five minutes and then another minute a bit later and she was good to go. No smoke worth mentioning.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Holy fuckin poo poo. Some of you know about this awesome garage near my house from me posting about it in other threads. I've been looking to supplement my non-profits-arts-college-computer-janitor income with some side work and sent these guys an application on a whim. To paraphrase, I told em "listen, I have no formal mechanic experience, I wrench on my own cars as often as I can afford, and will work weekends/evening for $12/hour. Put me in coach" $12/hour is what I'd make doing retail/hardware store job anyway, and this way I'd get to do something that I'd love to be doing anyway. For only one day a week! Saturday!

:woop:

Seriously excited about this.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
that sounds pretty fuckin' awesome, not gonna lie.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So Mazda just gave the green light for the RX-9 for 2020?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

$10,500 estimate but stuck with the $2500 deductible. Same storm that gave $6000 hail damage to the company Tacoma.

drat that's some big hail, looks even bigger than the poo poo that rolled through Knoxville a few years ago and destroyed everything.

bolind posted:

God drat, just lit a bunch of charcoal with nothing but an $18 heat gun. Worked a treat. Never going back to chimneys and firestarters and newspaper and arrrrg. Five minutes and then another minute a bit later and she was good to go. No smoke worth mentioning.
Lighting with a heat gun? Never heard of that before but now I'm looking at the overkill heat gun I have with new purpose.

scuz posted:

Holy fuckin poo poo. Some of you know about this awesome garage near my house from me posting about it in other threads. I've been looking to supplement my non-profits-arts-college-computer-janitor income with some side work and sent these guys an application on a whim. To paraphrase, I told em "listen, I have no formal mechanic experience, I wrench on my own cars as often as I can afford, and will work weekends/evening for $12/hour. Put me in coach" $12/hour is what I'd make doing retail/hardware store job anyway, and this way I'd get to do something that I'd love to be doing anyway. For only one day a week! Saturday!

That shop looks like it would be great fun to work at for some supplemental income

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

loving congrats bud.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

Wait, did you get a reply or are you still waiting?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Right, that bit got left out, I'm that excited that I leave out big details.

I'm going to meet with Turbo Tim himself this evening after work as long as he's still in the shop. From the phone conversation we had an hour ago, it sounds promising! I mean he didn't even have to email me back or even set up a meeting or anything, he knows I don't have a poo poo-zillion tools, told him what I'm comfortable doing on cars, and he still wanted to meet up.

To reiterate: :woop:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Nice! Sounds promising. Based solely on the website, they seem like a pretty cool group of dudes. If they're cool with giving you some more softball-y stuff, that sounds like a pretty good opportunity to not only make a little scratch but also learn some stuff, too.

In short: :toot:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Catching up:

Hot Wheels: I have several hundred if not over 1000. Have not counted them up. Currently buy the new models for each year, and any that just catch my eye. Also all RX-7s and 70-72 Cutlass/442 variants. Most of them are packed due to lack of display space.

Wedding rings: had a plain pale gold rings, wife decided she liked the Tungsten Carbide rings with a stainless design under resin in the center groove. Unlike the titanium ring I had, which was indestructible, but scratched easily, the tungsten carbide rings don't need polishing. I'm really surprised that the resin has held up well, too.

Job: oh holy gently caress what have I got myself into. So much to learn/do, no time to do/learn it. Host company on its infinite wisdom real eased a major project/system uprise at the same time as the outsourcing transition, and I had to train the incoming Windows guys while simultaneously trying to absorb all Mac knowledge. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So Mazda just gave the green light for the RX-9 for 2020?

Do what now? <begins googling furiously>

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

It looks kinda like a Mazda 6 front with powerful thighs.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Darchangel posted:

This is what I saw in r/cars

http://www.motoring.com.au/mazda-rx-9-locked-in-103563

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

scuz posted:

Right, that bit got left out, I'm that excited that I leave out big details.

I'm going to meet with Turbo Tim himself this evening after work as long as he's still in the shop. From the phone conversation we had an hour ago, it sounds promising! I mean he didn't even have to email me back or even set up a meeting or anything, he knows I don't have a poo poo-zillion tools, told him what I'm comfortable doing on cars, and he still wanted to meet up.

To reiterate: :woop:

Good luck, hope that works out well for you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

It looks kinda like a Mazda 6 front with powerful thighs.

And of course it's going to be stupid expensive. Sigh. What we want is a Miata with a rotary.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

It's about as locked in as the RX3 that was supposed to be out next year. Or the return of the 7 two years ago. Until it's in the showroom AND has a manual, it's not locked in at all.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Darchangel posted:

And of course it's going to be stupid expensive. Sigh. What we want somewhat larger Miata with a rotary.
I mean, I'd like to be able to drive the thing.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I'd love to pretend I could afford it to get a test drive in at the dealership. Never driven a rotary before!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Phone posted:

Eat the eggs smash mouth

:douche:

Why do I even get references like this.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Oh my god this is amazing as gently caress oh my god

Oh my god

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://g.co/kgs/ts9HG8 right?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Oh my god

DID YOU BUY A BOAT? YOU NEVER BUY A BOAT, THAT'S THE RULE, DON'T BUY BOATS!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, I'm thinking that compression-ignition isn't really a viable thing given that apex seals crack if you fart in the general vicinity.
OTOH, if they've figured that out, it would be welcome. A 1.6L rotary definitely is.
Also , poorly worded line about turbocharging. Seems to imply that Mazda will be turbocharging a rotary for the first time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wrar posted:

I mean, I'd like to be able to drive the thing.

Agreed. Although I haven't tried an ND yet. NC was marginally too small for me.
And yeah, I'll believe the RX-9 when I see one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Having looked at it when it was rumoured to be in some F1 engines there's no way they are going to run HCCI in rotary engines. It runs counter to almost all the characteristics of those engines.

e: TJI, which is in some F1 engines, I could see working with some rejigging of the dual spark thing though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 24, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

DID YOU BUY A BOAT? YOU NEVER BUY A BOAT, THAT'S THE RULE, DON'T BUY BOATS!

I bought a boat.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'd love to pretend I could afford it to get a test drive in at the dealership. Never driven a rotary before!

You're not missing much apart from an unholy scream as the rev counter ticks past 9000 and you almost have enough torque to let off the clutch because the light turned green.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Adiabatic posted:

I bought a boat.

Does your boat come with HCCI compression ignition?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel posted:

Hot Wheels: I have several hundred if not over 1000. Have not counted them up. Currently buy the new models for each year, and any that just catch my eye. Also all RX-7s and 70-72 Cutlass/442 variants. Most of them are packed due to lack of display space.

Wedding rings: had a plain pale gold rings, wife decided she liked the Tungsten Carbide rings with a stainless design under resin in the center groove. Unlike the titanium ring I had, which was indestructible, but scratched easily, the tungsten carbide rings don't need polishing. I'm really surprised that the resin has held up well, too.

Reading the first paragraph, I didn't expect the second paragraph come up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

Oh my god

Hell yea. Did you get a big genoa and/or spinnaker too?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The Locator posted:

Hell yea. Did you get a big genoa and/or spinnaker too?

Nah theres 3 jibs and I think the other two are bigger but not genoa status.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I can't believe Shatner is 85 years old. He looks like 10 years younger than Fonzie, Terry Bradshaw and George Foreman.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

I bought a boat.

If it fucks, flies or floats ALWAYS pay for it by the hour

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I can't believe Shatner is 85 years old. He looks like 10 years younger than Fonzie, Terry Bradshaw and George Foreman.

I read that and said "no fuckin way" and googled it for myself. There's definitely some Dorian Gray-type sorcery happening there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:douche:

Why do I even get references like this.

idgi :saddowns:

scuz posted:

Congrats man. Expect the menial jobs like floor washing and maybe LOFs if your're lucky, but one of my best learning experiences as a partsman at a shop was watching the best techs work when I could. You quickly learn lots by watching them if they don't mind.
e: Just went to their website. Place looks awesome.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

bandman posted:

I read that and said "no fuckin way" and googled it for myself. There's definitely some Dorian Gray-type sorcery happening there.

Go watch their show, it is awesome. I hope it continues forever.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I don't remember very well but essentially GBS got into some kind of trolling thing with the singer from Smashmouth (hit song: All-Star) about eating dozens of hard boiled eggs or some poo poo; some kind of charity challenge or whatnot. He attempted to back down IIRC but ended up having to eat eggs, possibly with a goon present?

I'm sure it's on sacyclopedia but I'm phoneposting.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you want to know more about eating the eggs:
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/smash-mouth-eggs/

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/i-made-the-smash-mouth-guy-eat-a-poo poo-ton-of-eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

Just got a call from our insurance adjuster about a hailstorm that hit us over a month a go. Adjuster says we need a full roof re-shingle, eavestrough replacements along with some fascia and soffit work. Luckily our skylite is OK.

My parents house is also waiting on pretty much the same work, plus fence work. It's been several months, but all the roofing companies are backlogged from this (they don't live in that city, but they were hit by the same storm). That city got hit so hard that hail went through the roofs of a lot of houses. :stonk:

Hail is a bitch. At least their damage was pretty minor compared to the rest of Plano.

Adiabatic posted:

Oh my god

I see you have an erect mast. :quagmire:

• Locked thread