Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
also the whole 1 hp thing doesn't fully nerf the trick unless they also made sure the krabby/diglett thing actually hurts the diglett in the first place. otherwise all they've done is made the penalty for messing up one revive each. and seeing as i constantly throw away them by the 20's, i could still easily stack up like 100 , head to a gym with some buddies, and farm this way for a very, very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Licarn posted:

From a few days ago:

Those people are wrong.

I carry very few revives, because I only need them when I fight gyms and fail, which is rare. You now have to carry two items (a revive and a potion) to fully restore a Pokemon that was in a gym instead of just using a potion on them.

It's just less bag spots for Pokeballs.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

Those people are wrong.

I carry very few revives, because I only need them when I fight gyms and fail, which is rare. You now have to carry two items (a revive and a potion) to fully restore a Pokemon that was in a gym instead of just using a potion on them.

on the other hand, now full revives actually mean something.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dr Tran posted:

Not working for me. :(

Did you log in to your PTC account on the real app so you could accept the TOS? That's required afaik, and it worked for me after that.

Just quoting this for people who have this guy on ignore list, so they don't miss the fact that yes, theflyingexecutive is still posting.

I'd never heard this term before, and now I desperately want to know if this guy is using it ironically or what :allears:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You may be shocked to find this out, but most people who play this game don't give a hot gently caress about IVs

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It doesn't literally spit out numbers.

I don't want to have to tap through 5 screens of text to get vague poo poo. Since they feel it necessary to tell us the height and weight of each poke, why not just show these as numbers as well?

lol you actually think these two things are equivalent

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
It looks like it's possible to add the text you're given to the IV calculators to get the numbers, too (without the range you get now, or needing to power them up). Right now I'm just seeing browser scripts for it, but I assume at least one of the calculators will update to add that in.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

theflyingexecutive posted:

You may be shocked to find this out, but most people who play this game don't give a hot gently caress about IVs
It depends, I passed a playground the other day and overheard some kids talking about the bug where wild pokemon from early in the 'dex were getting bad attack IVs.

Although they might not have phrased it in those exact terms, I guess.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

I do not speak for most people. I would IMAGINE however that if people knew that some of the multitude of critters they were crushing into candy were in fact better than (read: greater potential) the ones with the BIG number they see when caught, they may very well care.

I mean don't you think it might give "most" people pause when they read their evaluations and see "it's stats don't point to greatness in battle"?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly this is the first time they've implemented a new feature and done it properly. I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Just passed 3000 pokes killed and ground up into food sent to live happily ever after on the Professor's farm :toot:

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly this is the first time they've implemented a new feature and done it properly. I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

Properly would have been exactly what pgnexus showed, nothing more, nothing less.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Astro7x posted:

Those people are wrong.

Are you sitting on a mountain of max potions or something? It used to take me 2, sometimes 3, potions to fully heal something. Now it's almost guaranteed to take 1 Revive and 1 Potion.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
But a revive restores half a pokemon's HP so you could theoretically use a lesser potion to fully heal it post-fainting. The "nerf" makes revives less garbage and you have some reason to keep them in your bag.

if you don't like carrying around more things, purchase a bag expansion heh

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cartouche posted:

Properly would have been exactly what pgnexus showed, nothing more, nothing less.

The data is right there how hard would it to be to add 3 text boxes. I think easier then adding the adviser. I bet the person that did the team leader art threw a fit they were not in the game anywhere.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They did it to match how the main games do it iirc

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Frown Town posted:

But a revive restores half a pokemon's HP so you could theoretically use a lesser potion to fully heal it post-fainting. The "nerf" makes revives less garbage and you have some reason to keep them in your bag.

if you don't like carrying around more things, purchase a bag expansion heh

Its a nerf cause now you need even more bag space for revives

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

They did it because many Pokemon go game mechanics are hidden under the hood and they aren't too concerned by raging sperglords that would prefer their augmented reality free to play Pokemon game to resemble a spreadsheet

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

e: ^^^ wow okay I agree with you 95% of the way but gently caress right off with the implications that spreadsheets aren't fun as gently caress

They implemented "appraisals" instead of strict IV numbers for the same reason they have height and weight. They want the game to be kinda cool and kinda mysterious for the kid who literally doesn't read anything and just starts playing the game, and for that kid's mom who can play along and help try to figure this stuff out together. Y'know, casual players.

I saw this kid, fresh at level 5, at a gym the other day. She and her mom were so happy, and eager to learn a couple of things I told them about.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

They did it because many Pokemon go game mechanics are hidden under the hood and they aren't too concerned by raging sperglords that would prefer their augmented reality free to play Pokemon game to resemble a spreadsheet

I've made this exact argument and was shouted down and apparently blocked lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Yeah go try to explain to a neurotypical what IVs are and report back with your results. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that 99% of people don't care at all

people are fine with HP and CP, but for some reason they wouldn't care about Attack, Defense, and Stamina? there's more IVs than that in Madden, they're just called "stats"

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

in the regular pokemon games the way to find out IVs was to save, level the poo poo out of a pokemon with rare candies, record its stats, and then plug those in to a calculator and reload. In-game you'd just talk to an NPC and they'd give you a text rundown on what the IVs were like.

i don't remember ever seeing anyone grognard out about how awful it was to not just be explicitly told the numbers.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Not sure how to tell you this, but madden and Pokemon have different playerbases

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I think they might have added more poke spawns today. I just caught an eevee next to my house in a spot I've never seen a pokemon at.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I like the IVs being described in vague phrases because I can use innuendo pokemon names to make Candela say lewd poo poo, I am a child

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

BrianBoitano posted:

e: ^^^ wow okay I agree with you 95% of the way but gently caress right off with the implications that spreadsheets aren't fun as gently caress

They implemented "appraisals" instead of strict IV numbers for the same reason they have height and weight. They want the game to be kinda cool and kinda mysterious for the kid who literally doesn't read anything and just starts playing the game, and for that kid's mom who can play along and help try to figure this stuff out together. Y'know, casual players.

I saw this kid, fresh at level 5, at a gym the other day. She and her mom were so happy, and eager to learn a couple of things I told them about.

Is there a spreadsheet that calculates the IVs (or at least gives a range) from what the faction leader says about it yet?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

INTJ Mastermind posted:

How do you legislate something that doesn't even exist in the real world?

Welcum 2 the cyberpunk future bitch!

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Broseph Brostar posted:

Its a nerf cause now you need even more bag space for revives

Do you though? If a revive always restores half a pokemon's HP, if you have a high HP pokemon, you are potentially replacing several regular potions' bag space. Ex: my Vaporeon has 171 HP and half of that is 85.5. That's a little over four regular potions, or one super and one regular... so....

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Not sure how to tell you this, but madden and Pokemon have different playerbases

People who've played any video game in the last two decades are comfortable navigating simple attributes like ATT, DEF, and STA

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I wish they used this reasoning to just copy the battle system from them too.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Space Skeleton posted:

I wish they used this reasoning to just copy the battle system from them too.

I would've liked that, yeah, but I'm not at all surprised that a F2P game is missing the complex battle system of a $40 title that has actual cash money tournaments.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Frown Town posted:

Do you though? If a revive always restores half a pokemon's HP, if you have a high HP pokemon, you are potentially replacing several regular potions' bag space. Ex: my Vaporeon has 171 HP and half of that is 85.5. That's a little over four regular potions, or one super and one regular... so....

I dump potions and super potions pretty regularly and rely on hyper or full potions. A poke at half or 1 HP is no different to me (except if it's snorlax who needs a full to max out)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spreadsheets aren't fun, they're a means to an end

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Broseph Brostar posted:

I think they might have added more poke spawns today. I just caught an eevee next to my house in a spot I've never seen a pokemon at.

I'm pretty sure the game just sometimes spawns pokemon wherever it feels like it. My second Snorlax was over a month ago, in my back yard, where I've never seen anything spawn before that or since.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Frown Town posted:

I think it might depend on how available pokestops are; I dump all my potions/super potions/~50-100 normal pokeballs/all but 25 revives every day on my commute because I get so many. For me what's more important is using up less space on potions/revives and more on pokeballs. Before, I could just use 1 item, now it's two.

However, for people who don't have a ton of pokestops around I can see how this is a lot better, and it was kind of weird how useless revives were.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would've liked that, yeah, but I'm not at all surprised that a F2P game is missing the complex battle system of a $40 title that has actual cash money tournaments.

can you imagine wtf duels woule even be like if they didnt change anything. they have to change something to make that work

right now we would probably have to go to a gym, click a new button to scroll through a list of names of people at that same gym, and jackhammer the screen?

and then what is there even to win, or lose? poke dont level, maybe stardust... maybe nothing

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

help i'm 12

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm pretty sure the game just sometimes spawns pokemon wherever it feels like it. My second Snorlax was over a month ago, in my back yard, where I've never seen anything spawn before that or since.

I don't think that's right; pretty sure they're set "points".

While I don't have the data to back it up, by staring at a scanner pretty much all day, I know where all the poke-spawns are around both my home and work. If I see something on my sightings list, I know which possible spawns to check without even confirming on the scanner.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There's an article on the BBC website about Pokemon Go usage falling off. The chart in the article doesn't really go down all that far though.

Strange to see the Niantic guy saying he thinks the game is based on being social with strangers. Doesn't really work like that for where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The in-game IV thing is pretty cool. I never messed with the sites or whatever, but I was just curious about some of my mons and started checking them all today.

My Snorlax is top tier, my egg hatches are all upper ratings. But the best thing is, my Vaporeon, the Eevee I caught on night 1, is almost perfect. All the HP, ATK, and DEF are tied at upper levels, And it's IVs are in the top 20%.

But it has the special move that used to be the best, but got nerfed recently. :negative:

• Locked thread