Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The third had all the 'base' pokemon, but you still needed to trade to trigger some evolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Either way, it's actually an about even split between the first two and the third release. Here are the sales figures from each Pokemon game with annotated links. Some examples of note:

Pokemon Yellow accounts for about 30%-ish of the sales.

Crystal is the only outlier, accounting for 21% of the sales. imo this is probably because it came out after the release of the gameboy advance, so people just weren't buying games for the gameboy color anymore.

Emerald accounts for 28% of the sales.

Platinum accounts for 30% of the sales.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bsxQZ5JDec

the interesting bit about the video is his idea of playing both spinoff games and a main title can allow a player to experience being someone with privilege (or without) and how that affects their day-to-day affairs. also, the implication that it's more of a coincidence in design than a deliberate artistic choice.
I kinda like the parts of those videos I can tolerate watching but gently caress me if I'm spending ten minutes watching a video that would take 3 minutes to read as a post

The new Deus Ex game has takedowns take power, but starts you with too little stuff to restore your power. The energy meter also is no longer chunks visually but it operates pretty drat similar to how it was in the first one, so all in all it seems to be directly inferior to it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I kinda like the parts of those videos I can tolerate watching but gently caress me if I'm spending ten minutes watching a video that would take 3 minutes to read as a post

The new Deus Ex game has takedowns take power, but starts you with too little stuff to restore your power. The energy meter also is no longer chunks visually but it operates pretty drat similar to how it was in the first one, so all in all it seems to be directly inferior to it.

I think the video format helps when he's explaining his ideas and has visual aid from the gameplay happening in the background to support his points.

does the energy meter operate like in hr or more like dx1? it's not clear to me how u described it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

iirc, they were working on a Pokemon Z, but for whatever reason scrapped it and are making Sun and Moon instead.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I'm playing the new Deus Ex and there is one little thing annoying me.

So you're a guy who got himself some shiny augmented legs. Good for you. But now society shuns you for being augmented. That sucks. The police beat you, and when they're not beating you they're harrassing you for no reason, stopping and searching you every day, multiple times. Normal people don't want anything to do with you. You own family disowns you. You can't even buy groceries because half the vendors refuse to serve augmented people.

It's awful. Because of your shiny chrome legs.

Or maybe, you could wear pants?

Seriously. I see you there, oppressed and sad dude, in your future tracksuit pants with one pants leg rolled up over the thigh of your golden aug leg. How about you let that leg down and put on a pair of shoes? Maybe then people wouldn't be able to tell you're augmented at a glance, and be lovely to you so readily. A lovely corrupt cop will harrass an obviously augmented person over a regular looking dude every time.

Hey, people with brain augs - perhaps growing your hair out and foregoing the cyberpunk look would hide the little electro-tab things on your skull. That'd be nice, wouldn't it? Or maybe a wig?

Sure, these suggestions wouldn't solve all your problems, but they'd probably make your day to day life a little less poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
People do hide that they're augmented, but they're also registered and labelled by the government who employ a corrupt police force that employs a dozen checkpoints for every mile - there's even a number of e-mails where people do exactly as you suggest but it gets the poo poo beaten out of them at checkpoints because they've obviously got something to hide and are up to no good.

Prague is a hot bed of that poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My pants are augmented.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The heavy-handed analogy is "why didn't the jews just not wear a gold star"

If you're an AUG, they know you are. If you hide it, you'll be dealt with. It isn't just simple discrimination, it's a system built to name and shame a scapegoat, and nobody gets to avoid being the scapegoat

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

thecluckmeme posted:

If you're an AUG, they know you are.

I'll say they will, we're in PYF.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I totally get that - what I mean is, sure, go buy some groceries, and show off your fancy augs at the checkpoints, be transparent to avoid a beating but once you're at the store, cover that poo poo up so regular dickwads don't know to deny you service or be shitheads to you.

I know augs have to be registered with the authorities, and get papers to allow movement around the city, but your average joe doesn't have to know about your custom flame decaled big toe or whatever.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

princecoo posted:

I totally get that - what I mean is, sure, go buy some groceries, and show off your fancy augs at the checkpoints, be transparent to avoid a beating but once you're at the store, cover that poo poo up so regular dickwads don't know to deny you service or be shitheads to you.

I know augs have to be registered with the authorities, and get papers to allow movement around the city, but your average joe doesn't have to know about your custom flame decaled big toe or whatever.

Then the shopkeep finds out you ARE an AUG through word of mouth, eventually. You get outed, locally shunned, and eventually the authorities come to talk to you.

Or you can accept the oppression, get treated awfully, but live a shittier life due to something beyond your ability to stop, or beyond your ability to ever have stopped. But you won't be labeled a direct enemy, just a lower class citizen who everyone considers subhuman.

It only takes one beat cop asking your papers to ruin this. It's not something you conceal, just avoid until eventually you're found out, and somebody important hears.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Better take off that rainbow badge when you go to the store, and don't kiss or hold hands with your partner on the street. Your average joe doesn't have to know about that silly pride tattoo, either.

like I get the idea when you take it literally just like "discrimination happens to augmented people" but at the same time I'm not totally convinced you get how this works as a metaphor

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Deus Ex also seems to be a world where, like, normal prosthetic limbs do not exist. You'd think all those poor people who can't afford augmentations or the anti-rejection drugs and live on the streets with one leg would have normal people non-cyberpunk-dystopian-future prosthetic arms and legs.

edit: The game's excuse for that is that people are given no other choice besides "live with one arm or get an augmented arm to replace the one you no longer have", but it's really silly for the game to expect me to believe that kind of forced decision is the norm. Not everybody in an executive position can be a cipher controlled by the illuminati, not everybody in a position of power is a cruel evil bastard who wants people to suffer, but Deus Ex certainly thinks so.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Aug 25, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not totally convinced you get how this works as a metaphor

Poorly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not saying it's necessarily a good or subtle one.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Deus Ex also seems to be a world where, like, normal prosthetic limbs do not exist. You'd think all those poor people who can't afford augmentations or the anti-rejection drugs and live on the streets with one leg would have normal people non-cyberpunk-dystopian-future prosthetic arms and legs.

edit: The game's excuse for that is that people are given no other choice besides "live with one arm or get an augmented arm to replace the one you no longer have", but it's really silly for the game to expect me to believe that kind of forced decision is the norm. Not everybody in an executive position can be a cipher controlled by the illuminati, not everybody in a position of power is a cruel evil bastard who wants people to suffer, but Deus Ex certainly thinks so.

The implication is, and has always been in that kind of fascist state, that those who stay silent suffer too. That AUGs are known entities and defense of them is treason, so speak up or else (illuminati) in this case

That's kind of the point of a fascist state

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The issue I am talking about was also extremely prevalent in HR which is before all that was a thing so I dunno man

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

CJacobs posted:

The issue I am talking about was also extremely prevalent in HR which is before all that was a thing so I dunno man

Well at least pre-incident it was like " you could have a hook for a hand or a peg leg or you could have a limb that actually works!"

Under those circumstances it seems a lot more likely you could be suckered into missing the fine print. Capitalism is basically promising you something then robbing you blind.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I mean while CJacobs' point isn't invalid, the lack of "regular" prosthetics is probably because they're outside the game's remit. It's a golden age of human modification and the plot will focus on those who are swept up in it, due to their jobs, natural beliefs or whatever.

Mankind Divided is pretty clear about the aug industry collapsing due to the incident, so the people you see are those augged up from a while ago rather than the people who thought cybernetics and the chance of going psychotic are awesome.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

What I liked about the first reboot is that it was believable, that things could actually slide into a future like that. It had some relevance to today. The story was actually kind of clever and instead of being over the top crazy, made a believable world with behind the scenes illuminati running everything. The 3rd one is an analogy punching you in the dick and screaming "LOOK HOW I AM A TOTALLY BELIEVABLE DYSTOPIA!!!". It just doesn't work well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

...third?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

...third?

he means Human Revolution

*just re-read and im probably wrong

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Why not just not get augmented? It's a choice, unlike race.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
EDIT: ^^ Okay, that should be pretty obvious, I'm not even going to repeat the line that answers your question.

And I thought White Guy meant Mankind Divided, which would make The Fall the 'second reboot'. I hope it's that, at least, because otherwise he's complimenting Invisible War.

I can't speak for MD yet, but HR has one of my favorite settings for a video game, with most of it being really well thought-out and realistic while handling some pretty insane concepts. It's not bulletproof, there's still holes in it, but I always thought Deus Ex's story was intended to be big and far-reaching, even if you're only playing one man doing one man's job. The exceptions absolutely exist somewhere in that world, but it's not really what the game wants to focus on, it's instead giving faces and names to the various victims and perpetrators of the core issue.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Aug 25, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: ^^ Okay, that should be pretty obvious, I'm not even going to repeat the line that answers your question.

That wasn't addressed in the conversation about why augmented people can/can't cover up, but sorry I didn't read all of the lore and expanded universe materials for your game

edit: obviously the answer is "because there would be no story" but the discrimination angle kind of falls flat and is unsympathetic when the targets are people who wanted to get swole without working for it and such

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Aug 25, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I mean, Man Kind divided is a fantasy dick punch. Human Revolution is probably my favorite Deus Ex.

Actually, come to think of it, the biggest thing dragging down Human Revolution was that there was a bug where if you knocked out an enemy they would spontaneously die. When I got to the end of my first playthrough without murdering anybody that I didn't have to murder, hoping I'd see the little achievement pop up, I was sad.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BattleMaster posted:

That wasn't addressed in the conversation about why augmented people can/can't cover up, but sorry I didn't read all of the lore and expanded universe materials for your game

edit: obviously the answer is "because there would be no story" but the discrimination angle kind of falls flat and is unsympathetic when the targets are people who wanted to get swole without working for it and such

it's been a while since I played hr, but I thought the powers that be were trying to direct public opinion in making augmentations glamorous and that's where institutionalized pressure came from. people scared of being replaced with augmented workers then start augmenting themselves in order to stay competitive in the job market. but sarif standing against the illuminati made them redirect public opinion again through a political senator who's against augmentations and causing augmented people to go berserk through a firmware upgrade was their big push against sarif.

haven't tried MD yet but separate fountains sounds like it's bordering on self-parody if it's really a thing in the game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A White Guy posted:

I mean, Man Kind divided is a fantasy dick punch. Human Revolution is probably my favorite Deus Ex.

Actually, come to think of it, the biggest thing dragging down Human Revolution was that there was a bug where if you knocked out an enemy they would spontaneously die. When I got to the end of my first playthrough without murdering anybody that I didn't have to murder, hoping I'd see the little achievement pop up, I was sad.

I mentioned that bug up thread. It's still not patched, even now. What a poo poo show.

Someone up there spoke ill of Invisible War so I need to defend it. The original Deus Ex nailed the cyberpunk vibe pretty well, and Invisible War decided to get really ballsy and make its setting post-cyberpunk instead, as if the actions of the first game actually had an effect on the world at large. It was insanely cool. The plot was great, some of the weapons were really fun, and the universal ammo system genuinely could have been a good idea if implemented in any other way. All of the interactions with NG Resonance are fantastic. Some of the hub areas are pretty cool and the very end of the game is great, and it's the only game in the series that lets you play as a woman.

That said....ugh. The inventory-Tetris popularized by the first game got replaced by an anemic item wheel system, the graphics engine was so notoriously awful that the levels are split into minuscule chunks, unique weapons like the Dragon's Tooth Sword use regular models, and there are multiple kinds of multitool that don't stack together in your extremely limited inventory despite being identical in every way.

If ever there was a game that needed a modern, polished remake, IW would be it.

E: VVVVV Every time I've replayed it I've done the XBox version, that way it doesn't crash all the time and the loading screens give you time to catch up on your reading. Oh, that's another big thing against the game: most area transitions actually closed and reopened the game somehow, instead of actual smooth transitions.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Aug 25, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I liked IW well enough the first time round because I got a new graphics card for it and it looked amazing to me with the shadows and ragdoll stuff, plot was fun but the gameplay was pretty meh, lacking the scope of the original. Taking over robots was fun, as was returning to Liberty Island. A lot of the aspects of world were cool, too. It's one of the games I'd love to replay in the cold light of 12 years later but it wasn't exactly stable then, I've had no luck whatsoever making it work now.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

omar for life

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure regular prosthetics exist in HR (and by extension MD) but the gist of things was always "why bother with them when you can get this awesome poo poo instead?"

I seem to recall seeing some guys who had to sell off/had stolen their augs to/by the chinese mafia guys in HR. So you can be un-augmented but I think your dependance on the anti-rejection drugs remains? Am I remembering that right?
I know I read an e-mail in MD (it was somewhere in the ghetto area) that was basically a sales pitch for a group you could go to and they'd uninstall your poo poo, and make you "normal" again.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I remember the world 'piezochem' flying around a lot and being sad because I killed JC Denton :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

I hope it's that, at least, because otherwise he's complimenting Invisible War.
I don't think he is, but he should be, because it's a great game. Buggy as poo poo, but great despite that.

Cleretic posted:

HR has one of my favorite settings for a video game, with most of it being really well thought-out and realistic
None of the Deus Ex games have realistic or well thought out stories. They're all super dumb.

im pooping! posted:

omar for life
Anyone who thinks the Omar are not the good guys of the entire Deus Ex series is just objectively wrong. Every other faction is terrible, the Omar are 100% opt-in (I know about the Leo Jankowski argument and I think it's wrong) and are the only real hope for human survival in the game's universe.

princecoo posted:

I'm pretty sure regular prosthetics exist in HR (and by extension MD) but the gist of things was always "why bother with them when you can get this awesome poo poo instead?"
Because you don't want a lifelong dependency on a drug that you can only get from one company? Most of the people you see with augs were forced to get them, strongarmed into getting them, or got them for military or criminal reasons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He didn't say story.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

princecoo posted:

I'm playing the new Deus Ex and there is one little thing annoying me.

So you're a guy who got himself some shiny augmented legs. Good for you. But now society shuns you for being augmented. That sucks. The police beat you, and when they're not beating you they're harrassing you for no reason, stopping and searching you every day, multiple times. Normal people don't want anything to do with you. You own family disowns you. You can't even buy groceries because half the vendors refuse to serve augmented people.

It's awful. Because of your shiny chrome legs.

Or maybe, you could wear pants?

Seriously. I see you there, oppressed and sad dude, in your future tracksuit pants with one pants leg rolled up over the thigh of your golden aug leg. How about you let that leg down and put on a pair of shoes? Maybe then people wouldn't be able to tell you're augmented at a glance, and be lovely to you so readily. A lovely corrupt cop will harrass an obviously augmented person over a regular looking dude every time.

Hey, people with brain augs - perhaps growing your hair out and foregoing the cyberpunk look would hide the little electro-tab things on your skull. That'd be nice, wouldn't it? Or maybe a wig?

Sure, these suggestions wouldn't solve all your problems, but they'd probably make your day to day life a little less poo poo.

princecoo posted:

It blows me away that even fictional discrimination results in a new version of this guy. It makes me want to give the game more credit than it's probably earned.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Futurama taught me that some things weren't meant to be cyloned.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was playing witcher 3 right before mankind divided and it has made the facial animation really painful by comparison. But even if I wasn't just playing a game with really good facial animation, mankind divided's characters would still look like butt amalgamations. It was not great in human revolution either, but it really stands out to me now because I expected at least some improvement after this many years, and because it actually kinda looks worse to me here.

I'm really early in the game but the graphics are not wowing me either. Lots of textures, particularly on paintings and such, look super pixely and I have the graphics on high. Putting the texture resolution up higher makes the game warn you that you need over 4 GB of VRAM (my 970 has effectively 3.5 GB which is pretty drat good), which is quite silly since other games that demand 2 GB of VRAM have much sharper looking textures (or at least they become blurry rather than pixelated).

It also feels like they threw out most of the art style. Human revolution had a very prevalent gold and black color theme, which represented an optimistic/progress-oriented view of the future contrasted with the reality of it. So far in mankind divided I am not really seeing any prevalent art style. There's a much broader spectrum of colors, which some people might like, but combined with the gross textures it just looks really unattractive to me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The black and gold stuff got a ton of complaints unfortunately. The director's cut of HR removed it and the gameworld lost a lot of its flavour. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

poptart_fairy posted:

The black and gold stuff got a ton of complaints unfortunately.

What the gently caress, from whom? Human Revolution's aesthetic was wonderful.