Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

X-O posted:

All you need to know is in the OP for the Valiant thread that I wrote up. Including all the relevant issues of X-O Manowar. In case you can't tell I kind of have a thing for the character. Ignore all the other older stuff.

Alright, guess that was a dumb question in hindsight. Guess I'm just too used to the idea of comics books being so long and old that it's hard to just jump in or go to the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The relaunch in 2012 was entirely clean. They're not expecting anyone to go back to the early-mid 90's.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

Alright, guess that was a dumb question in hindsight. Guess I'm just too used to the idea of comics books being so long and old that it's hard to just jump in or go to the beginning.

Basically for X-O Manowar you need to look at the sections for X-O and also Armor Hunters which is an event involving him directly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The relaunch in 2012 was entirely clean. They're not expecting anyone to go back to the early-mid 90's.

Yeah, I should have known that from the Valiant thread OP, in hindsight.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who answered, of course.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Long post ahead, wanted to make sure I covered everything. I appreciate the responses in advance!

I want to get my 13 year old son into reading more, so I figured comics would help him find some things he was interested in. I took him to Hastings since it was having a sale and we picked out a couple of books (Fantastic 4 Chapter 1, Batman Killing Joke, Death of Superman, and New Teen Titans vol4).

My son read the Fantastic 4 in the first day and really enjoyed it. I asked a couple of questions to see what he liked, and his response was to find out about how they formed into superheroes.

So my three questions for the thread are:
In the op there are a lot of different character stories, is there a way to tell what arc's are from the character origin?

I want to stick to print format, and I thought it was cool to see bigger books than what I was used to as a kid. Other than going to the store to view them is there a term I should be using to find those types of books?

Lastly, any recommendations based on the info above?

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 31, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

savesthedayrocks posted:

I want to stick to print format, and I thought it was cool to see bigger books than what I was used to as a kid. Other than going to the store to view them is there a term I should be using to find those types of books?

Trade paperback or TPB. Or just "collection". I usually browse stuff on Amazon with this terms. Or by searching for the title and author.

You may also try omnibus, absolute, or complete. Those are generally reserved for bigger collections combining all the stories of a single arc into one or two volumes. TPBs are usually limited to six or so issues.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 31, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Long post ahead, wanted to make sure I covered everything. I appreciate the responses in advance!

I want to get my 13 year old son into reading more, so I figured comics would help him find some things he was interested in. I took him to Hastings since it was having a sale and we picked out a couple of books (Fantastic 4 Chapter 1, Batman Killing Joke, Death of Superman, and New Teen Titans vol4).

My son read the Fantastic 4 in the first day and really enjoyed it. I asked a couple of questions to see what he liked, and his response was to find out about how they formed into superheroes.

So my three questions for the thread are:
In the op there are a lot of different character stories, is there a way to tell what arc's are from the character origin?

Lastly, any recommendations based on the info above?

For origin stuff, Marvel put out a bunch of graphic novels with the subtitle "Season One" that were updated versions of character's and team's origins. I think the Fantastic Four book you mentioned is part of that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jose posted:

I've read a few original series, mostly sci-fi and i'm after something similar.

I've read Y the last man, Ex Machina, Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Global Frequency and 100 bullets. Decent sci-fi or something not too far off that is an original work rather than being superheroes

Thorgal (vikings and sci-fi)
The Metabarons (a saga about a caste of space warriors)
Concrete Park and Bitch Planet (two different takes on the "prison in space" concept)

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Is the worst x-man ever any good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rent-a-Bot posted:

No, he's the worst! :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Jay and Miles seemed to like it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rent-a-Bot posted:

The ending/message of it felt really weird and not at all tonally consistent with the rest of the book, but it's still a good journey to the end. It's got a fairly dark sense of humor.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hated it and, as previously noted, finding out it was written by Max Bemis made me retroactively like Say Anything less. Well, that and the Crossed he wrote. (it was mostly Crossed)

It kind of feels like it skips from "dark sense of humor" straight to just having an overall lovely tone, but for the most part it's manageable. Then the last issue just...god. Totally loving sucks, on every page.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

WickedHate posted:

It kind of feels like it skips from "dark sense of humor" straight to just having an overall lovely tone, but for the most part it's manageable. Then the last issue just...god. Totally loving sucks, on every page.

Honestly that last issue is just so loving weird I felt like calling the series mean-spirited wasn't really accurate, since I have no idea in what spirit it could possibly be intended. It's like if you bolted a (somewhat) happy ending onto the end of A Serious Man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, that's actually a good way of putting it. It doesn't stick the landing at all imo, I just felt baffled and weirded out by the issue's narrative decisions more and more by the panel.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any recommendations for podcasts that go into the history of comics and character backstories? I've been binging through Cape Crisis at work and I'm almost out of episodes. I tried giving Journey Into Misery a shot but the sound quality and accents made it hard to listen to.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

X-plain the X-Men if you want to know too much about the X-Men.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Journey into Misery had such terrible sound quality that I couldn't put up with it.

I really like View from the Gutters, I Read Comic Books, and sometimes Out of the Fridge.

Vidiot
Apr 4, 2011
I just finished The Superior Foes of Spider-Man and really dig the idea of stories told from the perspectives of C-list villains and/or henchmen. Is there anything else out there that portrays this kind of stuff?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Vidiot posted:

I just finished The Superior Foes of Spider-Man and really dig the idea of stories told from the perspectives of C-list villains and/or henchmen. Is there anything else out there that portrays this kind of stuff?

MODOKS 11

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vidiot posted:

Astonishing Ant Man.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vidiot posted:

Read the creative team's follow-up, The Fix. You'll be happy.

Geoff Johns' Flash has a lot of camaraderie with his baddies as a group.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 25, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Vidiot posted:

if just villians and not just marvel, I also suggest the entire Gail Simone Secret Six runs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's not strictly within the purview of this thread, but Venture Bros. is well worth a watch if you want more villain / henchmen stuff.

Vidiot
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! If you've got any more, I'm all ears. Marvel, DC, whoever. Just so long as they're good!

I'm a big Venture Bros. fan, but haven't touched a comic (other than the previously mentioned one) since I was a kid. I re-read what few I still have (mostly Spider-Man one-offs from the '80s featuring Electro) and that piqued my interest. Figured I'd try some more modern stuff and so far I'm real happy that I did!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I see Mark Millar has a new series called Huck. It ACTUALLY looks okay, but it's, y'know....Mark Millar. Anybody read it?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 25, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Huck was great. It's over now. It was only a short miniseries.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Huck" doesn't get too mean, if that's what you're worried about. There's a story arc with widening intrigue, a cute ending, everything to make it easy to pick up and satisfying to finish.

It's not so great that I worship Millar all of a sudden, but it is a go-to wakeup call for people who roll their eyes at the very mention of his name because of his earlier duds.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vidiot posted:

There's an early 2000s Marvel miniseries called Identity Disc, with a group of villains (including some heavy hitters like Deadpool and Bullseye) blackmailed into pulling off an impossible heist together. It's a homage to The Usual Suspects... or possibly a ripoff. But you might like it anyway.

From DC, you can't go wrong with John Ostrander's Suicide Squad series that started in 1987. Supervillains (mostly C-listers) were forced to go on dangerous, off-the-books missions for the government in order to shave time off their prison sentences. It was extraordinary in terms of including real-world political intrigue, developing a bunch of nobody characters into fan favorites, and occasionally having shocking deaths.

Gail Simone's Secret Six was kind of a spiritual successor to Suicide Squad, but her Villains United miniseries that kicked off Secret Six was the best thing she did with those characters. It's available in a separate volume, and I always love rereading it.

So MODOK'S 11 was good? Maybe I would enjoy that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Huck was surprisingly touching and didn't feel very Mark Millary in the way people tend to expect so I'd definitely recommend it. I can't say I've enjoyed much of his stuff other than that and a few other things though. Still rather read him than Frank Miller or Garth Ennis though!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Garth Ennis and Frank Miller are at least pretty good with an editor breathing over their back, Mark Miller usually isn't.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been pretty happy with all the Millar books I've read since Starlight.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
East of West got the hooks in me and I was wondering if there are other good books that use revelation stuff, other than Lucifer and Preacher?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Goddamned is a great, brutal take on the biblical dawn of man.

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema
I recently had a daughter and thought it would be fun to pick a character to follow and start collecting for her. I'm thinking maybe a Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, or Spidergwen type without 50+ years of continuity so that we could track down and collect all of their appearances. Any suggestions?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers, although this gets significantly more difficult considering she's ongoing for three different books right now on top of her myriad cameos in other books and main focus of stuff like this current event that will probably only increase over time), Silk, Gwenpool, current Thor, The Runaways or specifically Nico Minoru, Kate Bishop, Damian Wayne, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown or Spoiler, Kate Kane. I dunno if this is supposed to be a collected gift or meant to get your daughter into comics or what, considering it'll be a minimum of 6 to 8 years until she gets to read it but that's off the top of the head characters who are both good and you can realistically collect all of their appearances. Squirrel Girl gets kind of complicated because she's mostly been a cameo pre-Unbeatable, but if you just want to collect all post-North Squirrel Girl appearances (so USG, New Avengers, and that's about...it, with like a couple of issues of Howard the Duck and All-New Wolverine thrown into the mix) then that's very doable.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKrang posted:

I recently had a daughter and thought it would be fun to pick a character to follow and start collecting for her. I'm thinking maybe a Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, or Spidergwen type without 50+ years of continuity so that we could track down and collect all of their appearances. Any suggestions?

Squirrel Girl! Squirrel Girl!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CitizenKrang posted:

If you're deadset on tracking down every appearance Squirrel Girl might be a little difficult, of the suggestions above some are a little ridiculous (I can't imagine collecting every appearance of Carol Danvers, she's in a lot of weird poo poo, including The Worst Comic Evertm) but Nico Minoru and Kate Bishop are decent ideas, Kamala Khan (the current Ms. Marvel) is probably the best of your original ideas, in that she's relatively new so getting everything she's been in up until now wouldn't be too hard and she's incredibly popular so there's a decent chance she'll still be in stuff in the 4 or so years before you can start sharing her with your daughter and she'll be able to pay attention long enough to follow the plot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah that's why I specified all post-Captain Marvel Carol Danvers stories. Getting every Carol Danvers story would be insane, but every issue with her as CM would be...possible, but expensive even now, and would only get worse moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah that's why I specified all post-Captain Marvel Carol Danvers stories. Getting every Carol Danvers story would be insane, but every issue with her as CM would be...possible, but expensive even now, and would only get worse moving forward.

I'm just imagining a dad giving a 6 year old a copy of Avengers 200 to read and me having to call child services.