Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Really looking forward to The Squid and the Whale looking better than the crappy DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
God, I'm so ready for a 4k Criterion Hoffman blu-ray, I saw the new transfer at the Cinerama here and it was jawdropping.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Lone Wolf and Cub is 39.99 on Amazon. Go go go!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Breathless is also getting a repackaging for November. The dual format edition is going OOP in favor of separate DVD and Blu editions.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

God, I'm so ready for a 4k Criterion Hoffman blu-ray, I saw the new transfer at the Cinerama here and it was jawdropping.

I want to give it another chance and P&P restored Technicolor is easy to convince me to rewatch.

It's just idiotic how Lionsgate is practically holding the StudioCanal library hostage in the US.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Cloks posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub is 39.99 on Amazon. Go go go!

Let's see if it gets canceled. Really happy they are including Shogun Assassin too. I'm not a huge fan of it, but for the sake of being a completionist I'm happy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
One Eyed Jacks looks really interesting. It has the guy from Paths Of Glory who Kubrick fired (he was the crying, slow witted one) and Marlon Brando. How could you go wrong? They're both sneezing actors.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

zandert33 posted:

Let's see if it gets canceled. Really happy they are including Shogun Assassin too. I'm not a huge fan of it, but for the sake of being a completionist I'm happy.

Why would it get cancelled?

Edit: Oh. The order. I was thinking you meant Criterion would cancel the set.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 16, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It'll be that price during the next B&N sale anyway

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

blue squares posted:

It'll be that price during the next B&N sale anyway

No it will be 50

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Well I also don't want to make one of my favorite companies lose money because someone hosed up. I don't think it's right. If indeed it's a mistake

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cloks posted:

Really looking forward to The Squid and the Whale looking better than the crappy DVD.

Yeah I have been re watching a lot of Noah Baumbach movies lately and he is kind of underrated as a director. He is a perfect blend of astute observations and really mean that makes him an interesting director.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

blue squares posted:

Well I also don't want to make one of my favorite companies lose money because someone hosed up. I don't think it's right. If indeed it's a mistake

Amazon would be taking the hit more than criterion would.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

blue squares posted:

Criterion wouldn't take the hit at all. They have a price that they'll sell their movies to Amazon for, and Amazon pays that regardless of what they charge.

Here's how pricing tends to work (relatively simplified):

Criterion sells it to a store for a set price (which can vary based on contracts and poo poo). The store then sells it to the customer for hopefully a higher price so they can make money.

Now, let's say your brick and mortar store accidentally sells a movie for 5 bucks. Criterion loses nothing.

Sales get weird, since sometimes the company will pay the difference and all that jazz. I don't know enough about Criterion's business dealings to really give you a good explanation on how sales are handled (for example, is Amazon given a cheaper price BECAUSE it helps Criterion determine how many sets to press up initially?)

Clearance is something else completely.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That makes sense. Thanks

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You've heard of msrp right? Manufacturers suggested retail price.

This is just a price given that you will make a good profit on carrying their items. Criterion would be the manufacturer.

Criterion would sell to Barnes and nobles and Amazon at a whole sale price and Barnes and Noble normally sells at msrp. Amazon could sell lower and make less of a profit per unit but sell more units. That's always been Amazon's MO.

Criterion makes the same money either way even if people pay more at Barnes and Noble. Criterion probably makes more money if you buy directly from them and not during their flash sale.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Real close to J'ing off to this Punch-Drunk Love and The Squid and The Whale news.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Real close to J'ing off to this Punch-Drunk Love and The Squid and The Whale news.

And then you would wipe yourself all over the squid and the whale right?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Quite excited to hear about PTA finally getting his Criterion recognition. Does this mean There Will Be Blood and Magnolia could also be in the pipeline?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

InterrupterJones posted:

Quite excited to hear about PTA finally getting his Criterion recognition. Does this mean There Will Be Blood and Magnolia could also be in the pipeline?

Hard Eight seems more likely. I saw it for the first time recently and I think its definitely Criterion worthy.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Hard Eight is clearly where they're going next. It's the only one that hasn't been released by anyone else and Criterion has a major hard-on for releasing directorial debuts.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Would that be the first criterion with Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

uhhhh I think you mean Sydney

:goonsay:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rusty Staub posted:

uhhhh I think you mean Sydney

:goonsay:

I dunno why PTA fought for that title, Hard Eight is so much better

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cemetry Gator posted:

One Eyed Jacks looks really interesting. It has the guy from Paths Of Glory who Kubrick fired (he was the crying, slow witted one) and Marlon Brando. How could you go wrong? They're both sneezing actors.
It's...okay. Brando directs the way he acts: meanderingly, with long stretches of aimless posturing punctuated by moments of great clarity. He also lacks any particular flair for visual composition (more or less the exact opposite of fellow lionised-actor-turned-once-only-director Charles Laughton) so the whole thing owes almost all of its structural elements to the institutional mode as used by the classic studio era Western. Not to say it's a bad-looking film: Charles Lang's photography is as solid as it always is. But it feels kinda like....

Ever watch a cheap science fiction film from like the '50s or '60s and you can see that there's this really solid idea in there but it's getting buried under the bad effects and just the general lack of a visual/narrative/whatever grammar in which to express what the film is try to say? It's kinda like that. Like it feels like it would've been a wildly different, and much stronger, film if it had the next decade's worth of changes in the Western genre to draw upon (in terms of film grammar).

It's not a bad film by any stretch, and it's definitely worth watching. And it'll be great to have it available again. But it definitely feels like a swing and a miss, a film that's really good for a footnote of a film, but it's still just a footnote. If that makes sense.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I wonder what it would've been like with Kubrick behind the wheel?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From people who saw the restoration, the film will probably be worth a re-evaluation based on seeing it properly. It's been stuck in public domain hell for decades other than a Paramount laserdisc.

One Eyed Jacks was one of the last features shot in VistaVision, so it should look fantastic.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

Hey, Boogie Nights got a Crtierion Laserdisc! So, PTA is already part of the club. He just never made it onto a digital media, yet.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
:rip: Arthur Hiller, director of The In Laws

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Cloks posted:

Would that be the first criterion with Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly?

Do the Right Thing's in there isn't it? And Reilly was one of the billion people in The Thin Red Line. It'd probably be the first with both of them though :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm fifteen minutes into My Darling Clementine, my first John Ford movie. I can already see why Kurosawa idolized him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's weird, My Darling Clementine is like the one John Ford movie I've seen that I wasn't that into. It seems like it's everyone's favorite (that or the Searchers. I think my favorite's Stagecoach).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

:rip: Arthur Hiller, director of The In Laws
He did a pretty solid movie that I watched a few weeks ago called The Americanization of Emily. RIP.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Raxivace posted:

He did a pretty solid movie that I watched a few weeks ago called The Americanization of Emily. RIP.

The Americanization of Emily is so good and really deserves a Criterion.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'm glad Paddy Chayefsky got to satirize The Greatest Generation before it became too sanctified.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

I'll check it out thanks!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

The Americanization of Emily is so good and really deserves a Criterion.

Warner Archive released it in 2014. Only $16 on Amazon and it has a commentary with Hiller.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
For the FilmStruck beta people, they added a good amount of new stuff. For the people that have to wait for launch, this is going to blow your pants off. I'm so hyped for the full release.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

For the FilmStruck beta people, they added a good amount of new stuff. For the people that have to wait for launch, this is going to blow your pants off. I'm so hyped for the full release.

Any standouts?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Unmature posted:

Any standouts?

I didn't really want to mention specific titles (you should really have platinum) but this one's already been spoiled on /r/criterion awhile ago. Stalker was added.

There's also a new Chantal Akerman collection and House was added to the horror collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Is there any reason you don't want to mention specific titles? I'm part of the beta but I don't remember any NDA or anything