Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

They just put a new character relation diagram on the official site, and there's some stuff there that I don't think we knew. I'll try to put together a short list soon (though I'm sure it won't take long for someone in the wider fandom to translate the entire thing)

http://www.nbcuni.co.jp/anime/danganronpa3/special/index01370000.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Komaeda seems to have his own little space outside the other kids bubble, how sad.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The interesting tidbits on the chart (Future) are that Munakata is Kimura's "benefactor", Great Gozu is Tengan's bodyguard, Tengan scouted Mitarai all by himself and also worked with Kizakura to scout the 78th class kids. He also entrusted Hope's Peak to Jin Kirigiri for some reason according to the Despair chart.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there a reason Togami and Fukawa are left out of the 78th class bubble? I'd say it's because they're not participating in the game but Hagakure's in the bubble...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

Togami is the only one that has any actual evidence within the show; the arguments for the other characters seem to be based on stuff like who we find expendable or whose death would matter thematically. In Togami's case, there is a concrete reason for Monaca to be confident that Naegi would cause his death (if she was purposely leading Togami into a trap). It doesn't really make sense for her to be confident about him killing anyone else; even though Aoi (for example) is near him, that's not much of a reason to be sure that he's going to end up killing her. Someone else mentioned them doubting Togami being the victim due to it being too obvious, but most people seem to be guessing non-Togami characters so I'm not sure if that's really the case.

Wasn't there some theory that the characters aren't in the building they think they're in (something about being underwater IIRC)? I feel like I remembered seeing someone (or the show) mention that. If that's the case, it would also be further evidence towards a "Togami is heading into a trap" hypothesis.

edit: I should add that this doesn't mean the character is going to actually die; I just think he's going to be the person that would have died (if not for whatever Naegi ends up inevitably doing).

Exactly. Monaka isn't psychic, nor is she reading ahead in the script. If Naegi is going to cause someone's death, it's either because of something he's already done like contact Togami, or because of some stupid contrivance that isn't his fault, like he got injected with a contagious nanomachine virus that kills anyone who stays near him too long. Basically, there needs to be a reason Monaka would expect someone's death, and most of the speculation seems to be totally ignoring that and taking it as if the writer is speaking to us directly.

Also, yes, one of the first scenes after the cast woke up in the ruined building was Kirigiri looking at a wall, which happened to be where SHSL Blacksmith had thrown a dagger during an earlier argument. The fact that the wall was unmarked implies that they were moved to a replica facility while they were asleep.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Since Monaca was controlling a robot, she was never really knocked out either, was she? So she would already know who was moving everybody and how Chisa and Gozu were killed.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
People keep saying Gozu's death was in a locked room and somebody in the room at that time should be implicated, but if it were that simple one of them would have mentioned it by now. Gozu's body is actually found strung up in a giant hole in the ceiling, so it's not a locked room anymore because the attacker unlocked it while everyone was knocked out. There's even two shots through the hole looking down at the start of episode 3, why did nobody here catch this?

EDIT: Not that it exonerates the people in the room, of course, but it does mean it's no longer a locked room.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 24, 2016

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

orenronen posted:

The interesting tidbits on the chart (Future) are that Munakata is Kimura's "benefactor", Great Gozu is Tengan's bodyguard, Tengan scouted Mitarai all by himself and also worked with Kizakura to scout the 78th class kids. He also entrusted Hope's Peak to Jin Kirigiri for some reason according to the Despair chart.

This makes me believe even more in my theory that this whole killing game is the project that Tengan mentioned in episode 5, and Mitarai is in some way involved, the fact that Gozu is his body guard and Chisa in the last Despair episode even said that she would die to help Munakata and they were the first victims and died without we knowing their forbidden actions makes me think they were also involved in this project and there's more that we will learn about then.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oh hey, this seems like a thread I should be getting in on. Personally, I loved this latest episode, but then again, I'm biased to a fault and couldn't not love a Monaca-centric episode. I didn't know that "gently caress your hope vs. despair poo poo, I can build kickass robots, and so I'm going to space with them to be lazy and do nothing but play video games all day" was the conclusion to her arc that I wanted, but now that I've gotten it, I'm absolutely loving it. Of course, I'd also accept her crash-landing in the Future Foundation HQ and going right back to despair mode next episode.

As for who's going to die because of Naegi, I'm torn between two options. Togami heading towards a trap seems to be the obvious answer, but if I were a betting man, I'd put a side bet on Asahina, largely because of her forbidden action meaning that she's pretty much a dead woman walking. Dead as a donut, if you will. If I had to put money on a very specific circumstance, I could see her getting slugged by the boxer guy for a double KO. I don't know why it seems like something that would happen to me, it just does.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

People keep saying Gozu's death was in a locked room and somebody in the room at that time should be implicated, but if it were that simple one of them would have mentioned it by now. Gozu's body is actually found strung up in a giant hole in the ceiling, so it's not a locked room anymore because the attacker unlocked it while everyone was knocked out. There's even two shots through the hole looking down at the start of episode 3, why did nobody here catch this?

EDIT: Not that it exonerates the people in the room, of course, but it does mean it's no longer a locked room.

There's some twist incoming with that hole in the ceiling, and not just a "this character used it to kill Gozu" type twist. More a "some unknown character has been hiding up there all this time and that character is also the mastermind and was also Junko all along" type twist.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
If Monaca's not behind this then I give up on trying to figure out what's going on.

As far as who's going to die, there's no way Togami bites it because of how it would complicate Touko's life and the show simply isn't setup for following up on it at all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TheMcD posted:

As for who's going to die because of Naegi, I'm torn between two options. Togami heading towards a trap seems to be the obvious answer, but if I were a betting man, I'd put a side bet on Asahina, largely because of her forbidden action meaning that she's pretty much a dead woman walking. Dead as a donut, if you will. If I had to put money on a very specific circumstance, I could see her getting slugged by the boxer guy for a double KO. I don't know why it seems like something that would happen to me, it just does.

I wonder if we're going to get a scenario where Hina willingly takes a punch for Makoto, therefore fulfilling the "you will get one of your friends killed" prediction.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Belgian Waffle posted:

If Monaca's not behind this then I give up on trying to figure out what's going on.

The most sensible follow-up for mastermind, at least to me, is Nagito. Hell, if they hadn't had Monaca show up, he'd have to have been the #1 suspect by a long shot.

1) His modus operandi fits perfectly with the killing game - pitting hope against hope in order to allow the greatest hope to shine the brightest.
2) He'd been working with Monaca, meaning that getting a hold of Towa technology, which probably includes things like the bracelets, was easy. The fact that that working relationship ended at some point prior to all this happening doesn't really change much.
3) He's been unaccounted for so far in Future Arc, making it all the more likely he's to show up as a twist down the line.
4) He's been strangely out of the picture in Despair Arc. This doesn't really mean much, but it's kind of an indication that there might be more afoot here.

So to me, there's at least one more option that would still make sense.

FPzero posted:

I wonder if we're going to get a scenario where Hina willingly takes a punch for Makoto, therefore fulfilling the "you will get one of your friends killed" prediction.

That's also something I considered. The only thing that doesn't quite make sense if that were the case is how Monaca would know that that would happen, though I suppose that since she's SESL Homeroom and therefore really good with people, in particular reading them and getting them to do things she wants them to do, she might have simply read Aoi like a book (it's not like Aoi is the most complex of people) and worked out that at some point, Naegi's life will be in danger, and Aoi will be there to take a fatal hit, because that's the kind of woman she is.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TheMcD posted:

The most sensible follow-up for mastermind, at least to me, is Nagito. Hell, if they hadn't had Monaca show up, he'd have to have been the #1 suspect by a long shot.

1) His modus operandi fits perfectly with the killing game - pitting hope against hope in order to allow the greatest hope to shine the brightest.
2) He'd been working with Monaca, meaning that getting a hold of Towa technology, which probably includes things like the bracelets, was easy. The fact that that working relationship ended at some point prior to all this happening doesn't really change much.
3) He's been unaccounted for so far in Future Arc, making it all the more likely he's to show up as a twist down the line.
4) He's been strangely out of the picture in Despair Arc. This doesn't really mean much, but it's kind of an indication that there might be more afoot here.

I've been thinking that Nagito could be the mastermind, as well. If any of the DR2 kids were going to wake up from their comas, it would have to be the one with the insane deus-ex-machina levels of luck.

Besides, it would be interesting to see a showdown between the two lucky students as a finale.

Mitarai is another potential suspect for the mastermind. He's part of Class 77 with the Remnants of Despair, and the Despair arc just showed that he came into contact with Junko. Also, he was the last person to show up to the meeting in the Future arc's first episode, which puts quite a bit of suspicion on him as well.

Kizakura is suspicious as well, since we don't know much about what his deal is. If he was the one who scouted Junko, he might have been swayed over to her line of thinking.

Munakata seems too overtly hostile to actually be the mastermind. It's clear he's up to something, though, and hopefully we get further elaboration on what his secret is.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kind of want to see the resulting conversation between Hinata and the others if that's what was happening

Togami: Why didn't you let us know that Komaeda Nagito left Jabberwock Island!?
Hinata, eyes glowing red, in a tired emotionless voice: You didn't ask.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kizakura is so suspicious and forgettable I forgot he was a character until I tried to do a role call of the 10 living people off the top of my head

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Komaeda is going to be pissed that he defeated Junko 2.0 and wasn't there to see her surrender to hope.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I liked the bit about the space neet, but I didn't really care about this episode, and the tension of who will die left completely for me after Hagakure's prediction. I hope to see Mastermind Nagito though.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm really pulling for Nagito showing up as ultimate despair. The only thing I'm unclear on is that I assumed he was still on the island or in a mental coma. I assumed the poo poo he did in UDG was prior to DR2, even poo poo with monaca.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Knowing his luck, dying in the game woke him up in real life and everyone has been too stupid to check if he's still in his pod.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just saw a stream of todays episode. Is it okay if I give a disclaimer to watch it at home maybe?

I mean I assume everyone watches it at home already but boy (Serious spoilers for the episode) there's a LOT of really gruesome over the top murder in this episode.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Junkos mushrooms being rubber was the most shocking twist.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well, uh... Well we knew they were going to show it but uh...

That sure was an episode.

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
I've been waiting to see more about that classroom since I played the original game.
That did not disappoint, very gruesome.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Does anyone know if this conflicts with the events of Zero at all?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Literature Teacher, yesterday posted:

Richard Wright used a number of his writings to demonstrate how violence could affect people. The poem "Between the World and Me" is meant to show how simply observing violence can be a negative thing for a person.

Dangan Ronpa, today posted:

Well that was certainly some poo poo.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Slokir posted:

I've been waiting to see more about that classroom since I played the original game.

Yeah me too. The only way the buildup could've been better was if they flashed the classroom sign "5-C" on screen for a split second before they entered.

Because I was thinking about it too..

Like, this was a surprise ingame but man did they make it awful to watch happen. We knew something gruesome had happened there but man...

-----
Other thoughts. Looks like whoever guessed Mitarai's anime is going to be used as one of Junko's tools of disseminating despair is probably correct. We haven't seen as much yet but why else would she take him under her wing like that?

My new guess is that since Junko seems to be holding Mikan hostage in Mitarai's room, Mikan is the first one to become a Remnant, then she turns around and spreads it to the rest of the 77th class. As for Mitarai himself, maybe he resists, or Junko doesn't see him as useful beyond his anime? His story is definitely not over yet, and that's not even considering his role in Future Arc.

Kizakura's motives in Future make a little more sense now, since he was trying to follow around Kyoko on her father's wishes.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Junko and Mukuro sure are lucky the council didn't bandwagon onto the first kid who grabbed a shotgun and was just going to shoot the two of them right then and there.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Jesus.

To see it happen...that was hard to watch, super gruesome, but the right decision I think. Goddamn. I felt sick to my stomach and the riot at the end was incredible. Such atmosphere.

Nice to learn that Mukuro has a lovely singing voice. And shoutouts to Nagito's sexy shower scene. I have no idea how he's going to come back into the picture.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Youtube commenters look at Hope's Peak and think "dude, enough doubling down. Just admit you're wrong, you're just embarassing yourself at this point."

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

MattTheDoctor posted:

Jesus.

To see it happen...that was hard to watch, super gruesome, but the right decision I think. Goddamn. I felt sick to my stomach and the riot at the end was incredible. Such atmosphere.

Nice to learn that Mukuro has a lovely singing voice. And shoutouts to Nagito's sexy shower scene. I have no idea how he's going to come back into the picture.

Was the island Nagito was stuck on Jabberwock Island? Maybe they're setting up how he's able to escape from the island unnoticed and appear in the Future arc.

Also, I'm wondering what's going to happen to Chiaki now, since everyone was predicting she'd get involved in the student council massacre and get killed there.

I wonder if the next episode of the Despair arc is going to cover the events of DR Zero. If Matsuda is going to show up, then maybe we'll finally see the real Miaya in the despair arc, and learn what her deal is. With the Neo World Program and the Alter Egos, I get the feeling that there's some connection between Chiaki and Miaya, since there has to be a reason for the existence of the AI Chiaki.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Does anyone know if this conflicts with the events of Zero at all?

Sort of? IIRC in Zero one of the student council members survived, which we may or may not see happen later.

Having Mukuro sing Tsubasa o Kudasai was amusing, as was the Climax Inference for the rest of the setup to DRZero. Overall, this is the kind of stupid over the top anime crap I was expecting from this series and it did not disappoint.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

GimmickMan posted:

Sort of? IIRC in Zero one of the student council members survived, which we may or may not see happen later.

Having Mukuro sing Tsubasa o Kudasai was amusing, as was the Climax Inference for the rest of the setup to DRZero. Overall, this is the kind of stupid over the top anime crap I was expecting from this series and it did not disappoint.

Yeah about Zero the guy that was giving all the orders we never see him die and at the end with Junko looking at screen with all the people screens blacking out that guy his the only one who doesn't black out meaning he is still alive

Also I might not remember right but wasn't said in Zero that one of the Madarai brothers was killed in this whole thing? That's why they were going around trying to find Junko in the novel but I might be remembering wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

Was the island Nagito was stuck on Jabberwock Island? Maybe they're setting up how he's able to escape from the island unnoticed and appear in the Future arc.

Also, I'm wondering what's going to happen to Chiaki now, since everyone was predicting she'd get involved in the student council massacre and get killed there.

I wonder if the next episode of the Despair arc is going to cover the events of DR Zero. If Matsuda is going to show up, then maybe we'll finally see the real Miaya in the despair arc, and learn what her deal is. With the Neo World Program and the Alter Egos, I get the feeling that there's some connection between Chiaki and Miaya, since there has to be a reason for the existence of the AI Chiaki.

Komaeda crashed in a desert (presumably the only survivor) and found a perfect oasis.

I imagine Junko uses Mitarai's anime to enact the mass suicide rather than some cult of personality thing that seemed to be implied which makes more sense. Mitarai's anime in its own right is actually kinda disturbing in how it actually affects people.

It'd be nice to see that Chiaki actually survived but essentially secluded herself and wanted nothing to do with anything after finally seeing Izuru. A more Despairing alternative, is that she's the mastermind of the Future-side and her ultimate goal is vengeance against the Future Foundation for the creation of Izuru and Naegi for releasing him.

Edit: My reaction to this episode - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jGYAbjIOI

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 25, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Jesus CHRIST. That most definitely did not disappoint in the slightest. Looks like poo poo is finally getting real for Despair Arc, and I have to say, I've been looking forward to the riots happening. Before the anime started, I was fearing that it wouldn't fill in the blanks that really needed to be filled in, but they're definitely not cutting corners for the good stuff.

That massacre is probably coming in right at #2 of my favorite moments in the entirety of Danganronpa (#1 being the "break the controller" scene from AE, nothing's topping that for me). The musical dissonance, the general atmosphere, Izuru just meandering around in the murders casually taking everything in as the best and brightest of Hope's Peak break completely and utterly, the final realization that Izuru really does need despair in his life, everything was just perfectly executed. Bravo.

And just like I figured, Nagito re-enters the picture in Despair Arc right after Monaca's arc is wrapped up in Future Arc. I'd still put pretty good odds on him being the mastermind.

Axle_Stukov posted:

Junko and Mukuro sure are lucky the council didn't bandwagon onto the first kid who grabbed a shotgun and was just going to shoot the two of them right then and there.

I presume that Junko's super analyst powers told her that things would work out that way, as the real despair (and therefore things outside of her ability to predict) had yet to take hold. And even if they did, the SHSL Soldier would have dealt with them with ease. Would have screwed up their plan a bit, but Junko would've gotten off on the despair of failure, so swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 25, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i'm glad Despair Side is improving with each episode after Junko showed up

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
lol at the scene where it zooms in at Junko's rear end and breasts while Ryota is rambling about his brain-changing anime.

also shout out to the Komaeda shower scene.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Also props for the anime to make a character design to every student council member and not making each one a blue person.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm kind of wondering how much of a villian Kamakura Izuru actually is at this point. He didn't actually kill anyone (except in self defense, accidentally) and really all Junko needed him for was to expose how lovely Hope's Peak really is. The only real thing I get from him right now is unemotional bemusement, except when he was surprised that mostly dead guy managed to graze him with a bullet.

What if he just goes through this whole thing just kinda standing there creepily watching it unfold, only occasionally lifting a finger to defend himself? What if the only reason he bothered trying to bring Junko back was because she was the only thing that provided him with any degree of amusement?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So the tragedy that started this whole series was based on a lie. The student council killed each other, and Izuru had nothing to do with it other than defending himself once. Yet, Junko spread that Izuru was responsible for the entire thing, making the reserve class think that they were accomplices to the mass murder. This lie started the riots, which started the next step in Junko's plan.

So Chiaki wasn't killed here, so something else will be the thing that kills her. I am starting to wonder, maybe her death, instead of making Izuru one of the Despairs, is what turns him against Junko?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Holy loving poo poo. That Danganronpa 3 episode. Holy loving poo poo!

• Locked thread