Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There are never any explicit connections so I think it's just the art team doing it for kicks because they know there are thousands of crazies ready to spend hours poring over every single texture looking for clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
So if we assume all the bosses at the end of trailer were related to Gwynevere (Oceiros was husband, Nameless brother, Twin Princes sons, and Gwyndolin sibling), then it would make sense that new boss at the end is Gwynevere (or another relative), and she is gonna again give us lordvessel she is wielding with a lot more Dark Souls esque fashion than in first game by smashing it against our heads.
I can only hope.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Orv posted:

the Fifth Earl of Dickslap

Mods please change my name to The Fifth Earl of Dickslap.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Orv posted:

Honestly now that I think about it, no one is going to agree with me but I'm kind of glad Dark Souls as a continuing entity is ending. It's sort of exhausting how everything has to be ninety references and be so layered with meaning that I now know more about the Fifth Earl of Dickslap than I know about most real historical things. Of course that thing is the Lordvessel, there's literally no way it won't be because that's how everything is in Souls.

Another reason why Bloodborne was, and is, such a breath of fresh air.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You don't have to get the references, you do because you are a sperg and you will sperg about the new thing as well. Blood borne is a good example of things never changing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Honestly now that I think about it, no one is going to agree with me but I'm kind of glad Dark Souls as a continuing entity is ending. It's sort of exhausting how everything has to be ninety references and be so layered with meaning that I now know more about the Fifth Earl of Dickslap than I know about most real historical things. Of course that thing is the Lordvessel, there's literally no way it won't be because that's how everything is in Souls.

I totally agree with you. I have the unpopular opinion that 2 was the better game exactly because it went in its own direction while 3 is obsessed with old characters. I wanted to know more about the world. Instead I got an obfuscated drama about Gwyn's extended family and what they may or maynot have got up to. I think i'm the only person in the world that got pissed off rather than excited that the final fight was with the "collective heirs of the flame". I don't loving care about them. The Londor stuff was really cool and that was relegated to a side story.

Bloodborne is much better than DS3.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Bloodborne was an experiment in spelling out certain things in the plot that probably needed spelling out but never were in Souls, and in my eyes it was a huge success in that area. For every interesting bit of lore speculation in the series there's a dozen "DID THEY TURN SOLAIRE INTO SOUP!?" theories that muddy the entire conversation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Seeing people deify blood borne in real time is a weird thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're all good games I think it'll just be nice to have a new backdrop if they go back to the fantasy RPG well.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I want to see a souls style game in a futuristic sci-fi type setting.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Seeing people deify blood borne in real time is a weird thing.

?

The things that BB did better than Souls were obvious from day one, as well as the things it stumbled on. I can't think of anything in BB the community started lukewarm on that they later had to put on a pedestal. If time's done anything it's solidify what a mistake blood vials and having to warp back and forth from Hunter Dream were.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Garrand posted:

I want to see a souls style game in a futuristic sci-fi type setting.

Lords of the Fallen studio is doing this

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
blood vial reups and two loading screens between zones are annoyances in what is otherwise a loving masterpiece, I feel like labeling them as flaws is a bit exaggerated

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

blood vial reups and two loading screens between zones are annoyances in what is otherwise a loving masterpiece, I feel like labeling them as flaws is a bit exaggerated

If they're annoying they're a flaw, regardless of how much they annoyed you personally. They weren't good ideas.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah well they didn't annoy me at all. Long loading times is just what I endure when I game on consoles so it doesn't bug me, and I always dropped some cash on vials to top off after leveling up. That combined with pick ups and selling items I didn't need meant that blood vials weren't ever really in short supply. So I guess in my personal barometer they defintiely weren't flaws.

Some of the chalice dungeon bosses do feel pretty drat flawed, though maybe I just suck

E: The two loading screen thing is a legitimate complaint tho, esp before the patch

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Deified Data posted:

I can't think of anything in BB the community started lukewarm on that they later had to put on a pedestal.

I don't know if it quite qualifies as pedestalization, but there does seem to be a certain amount of "didn't want that PvP anyway" that's more prevalent now than it was a year ago.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hyped for the DLC - I don't engage much in PVP but I'll at least give that arena mode a go.

Bloodborne told its story well because it took away some of the mystery - I knew what was happening with the dream and the hunters and the old blood without having to watch twenty youtube videos.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Some blurry crap I took from the trailer

Talk about gaining weight.

Also I guess I should probably add some DLC info to the OP now that we have some concrete stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RyokoTK posted:

Another reason why Bloodborne was, and is, such a breath of fresh air.

I still have no idea what's happening in Bloodborne's backstory.

quote:

I don't know if it quite qualifies as pedestalization, but there does seem to be a certain amount of "didn't want that PvP anyway" that's more prevalent now than it was a year ago.

As annoying as pvp and co-op can be in DS3, at least it's not how BB handled it. I read that they didn't want it in there at all at one point, and it very obviously shows.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's super vague and definitely scattered, but it's there. Check out some youtube vids if you wanna be a sperg like me cuz yeah I missed p. much 90 pecent of it during my first playthrough

I'd say maybe I get 70% of what happens during the story now

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RBA Starblade posted:

I still have no idea what's happening in Bloodborne's backstory.

My point was that Bloodborne has nothing to loving do with Dark Souls 1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Deified Data posted:

?

The things that BB did better than Souls were obvious from day one, as well as the things it stumbled on. I can't think of anything in BB the community started lukewarm on that they later had to put on a pedestal. If time's done anything it's solidify what a mistake blood vials and having to warp back and forth from Hunter Dream were.

People are treating it's story as fundamentally different when it's tone and such are basically just Dark Souls. I like it but if you don't like DS story and want something different I would not suggest blood borne.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RyokoTK posted:

My point was that Bloodborne has nothing to loving do with Dark Souls 1.

I know. I still don't though. :v:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are treating it's story as fundamentally different when it's tone and such are basically just Dark Souls. I like it but if you don't like DS story and want something different I would not suggest blood borne.

I feel like BB's story is a little more coherent and self contained. It's told the same way and just as easy to breeze past without grasping if that's what you consider a DS story, but in spite of being about inscrutable beings, seems far more succinct a plot with more answers than DS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Both stories have the main quest is easy to understand but details make it more confusing model.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

I feel like BB's story is a little more coherent and self contained. It's told the same way and just as easy to breeze past without grasping if that's what you consider a DS story, but in spite of being about inscrutable beings, seems far more succinct a plot with more answers than DS.

The problem with Bloodborne's plot is that it's not really clear why you're doing what you're doing half the time. Why am I looking for Byrgenwerth? Why am I fighting a giant spider? What's a nightmare newborn and what do I do with it? What's any of this got to do with Paleblood, and why was I looking for that anyway? There are answers to these questions, sort of, but you have to do some digging... and the chalices, god help you... to find them. That said at no point do you kill the lord soul holders again or link the First Flame, and frankly at this point this puts it way ahead of Dark Souls 3 for me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Seriously I was like *groan* another cycle???

The only reason it didn't wear too thin in DSII is because of how wildly different Drangleic felt (for better or for worse) but half the fun of Dark Souls, Demon Souls, and BB is figuring out what kind of story archetype you even are in, and gives the danger and discovery that much more weight. You know?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
No one is gonna use the new pvp arena if the arena from the artorias dlc was any indication.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how ridiculously long range the mimic grabs are in DS3. gently caress you High Wall Mimic.

It's very confusing playing all the games back to back and relearning what the differences are.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 25, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think honestly I was so enthralled by the setpieces in Bloodborne that I kinda forgot I had no real motivation to be there. :v:

I just took it at a video game face value: I'm at the start, and I need to get to the end, because that's just what you do.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I mean I'm not at all surprised that the games that are built around being played through many times, sometimes on NG+, have stories based on things being cyclical imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How have the rebalances been so far? Are longswords and estocs still basically better all around than other weapons? I want to mess around a bit but I'm not sure what to try at the moment.

RyokoTK posted:

I think honestly I was so enthralled by the setpieces in Bloodborne that I kinda forgot I had no real motivation to be there. :v:

It's funny how your character's immediately okay with shoving their hand in pig assholes and eating umbilical cords.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The boss will be a gang of Hell Reindeers from Ivory King.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mango sentinel posted:

Lords of the Fallen studio is doing this

hopefully its less janky than lords of the fallen

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Beat Dragonslayer Armour last night and picked up the Sunlight Straight Sword from the hidden mimic. How does it stack up? Not sure if I want to put points in faith for it.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lakbay posted:

No one is gonna use the new pvp arena if the arena from the artorias dlc was any indication.

or it could be bullshit cheater hell like the ds2 arena

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I'm curious as to why they show shots of bosses from the vanilla game in the trailer. Best thing I can piece together is that they're all related to Gwyn in some way, so maybe it's like a thematic thing?

My secret hope is that it's some tease for a boss rush mode, but I've come to terms with the fact that FromSoft is probably never going to put such a thing in these games long ago.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only PvP zone I'd be really interested in is some kind of dedicated 3v3 battle, because giant gently caress-off brawls are supremely fun.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Lakbay posted:

In my experience, people used the both the blue sentinel and brotherhood dueling arenas quite a bit in SotFS, so they may use the new one. Although I seemingly didn't have that much trouble with cheaters, since I racked up a decent tally in the blue sentinels there.

As for motivation in Bloodborne, you can probably consider the protagonist's willingness to keep going as a side effect of being in the dream. After all, it too is wrapped up in the machinations of eldritch weirdos from space and until you fulfill your duty you're stuck in the dream. Or maybe the protagonist just likes to get their hunt on. Either way works. And the cycle of relighting the flame works in Dark Souls works inasmuch as the third is about the cycle finally sputtering to a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BlackFrost posted:

I'm curious as to why they show shots of bosses from the vanilla game in the trailer. Best thing I can piece together is that they're all related to Gwyn in some way, so maybe it's like a thematic thing?

My secret hope is that it's some tease for a boss rush mode, but I've come to terms with the fact that FromSoft is probably never going to put such a thing in these games long ago.

There's supposedly a special chalice dungeon glyph that is a boss rush. But that might also be a misinterpreted statement or a rumour from somewhere.