Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

you can say the same about this retard who posts in the thread

nice self own there, idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Phobophilia posted:

youll pay for this in time

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Phobophilia posted:

Very well.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

This has to be the name of Phil's Agenda, doesn't it?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I'm really digging the leaders' animations and all, but I'm really hoping they clean up some of the clipping issues a couple of them have. Phillip seems to have it the worst with his hand, sword and chin, but Pedro's beard is also pretty bad.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Obviously Germany's UA should be to enter a Golden Age after losing a war.

There, said it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Truly there's been no better place to live than the Weimar Republic

E: or East Germany

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
OK, ten turns after losing a war then.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Truly there's been no better place to live than the Weimar Republic

E: or East Germany

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Given that reminder, an ability where you get a golden age whenever you take back a city that used to be yours (with a 10 turn gap/other stuff to prevent purposefully losing and then snatching it back up again) might be kinda neat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Given that reminder, an ability where you get a golden age whenever you take back a city that used to be yours (with a 10 turn gap/other stuff to prevent purposefully losing and then snatching it back up again) might be kinda neat.

That sounds a bit specific to be useful.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Giving bonus for recapturing your own city seems pointless because "I lost a city" is a rage-quit condition for 100% of singleplayer games and probably most of the multiplayer ones too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Gaining a bonus for losing a city would make for a civ that bounces back from defeats...

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I could see it being an ability for America or one of its leaders instead, like this:

Marshall Plan: Defeat a civilization decisively enough (not sure how that would be determined, though...) and both you and that civilization get a golden age.

Or... That happens when you liberate a civilization during a war? And you can even liberate a civilization that you conquered, as long as they were the aggressor. That might be much too situational.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

America enters a golden age when it joins a war between at least 3 other civilizations on another continent other than America's starting continent.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Enters a golden age when it eliminates a civ from the game, or enters a golden age when first to reach a new era

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

America receives all of the bonuses and unique units/buildings of any native or ancient civ it eliminates from the game. American cities cannot be liberated since it was always an American city and how dare you insinuate it ever wasn't.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Kassad posted:

Or... That happens when you liberate a civilization during a war? And you can even liberate a civilization that you conquered, as long as they were the aggressor. That might be much too situational.

UA: Hearts and Minds

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition announced, which includes a few physical bonuses in addition to the stuff available in the digital deluxe edition.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Aerdan posted:

Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition announced, which includes a few physical bonuses in addition to the stuff available in the digital deluxe edition.

quote:

As for the game's digital deluxe edition, is comes with four expansion packs that add new maps, scenarios, civilizations, and leaders,

Multiple leaders for civs confirmed.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
An extra $10 for the special case, art book, and some commemorative coins.
Not the worst collector's junk.

Makes me wonder if they're planning anything else for the 25th anniversary, though. Civilization Chronicles for the 15th anniversary had all the games through vanilla IV, a card game, a retrospective DVD, and tech tree foldouts (has it really been 10 years since then?).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ehh. It looks neat, but if it was a Season Pass that gave me access to all the expansions I'd be game, but for those goodies.....eh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The last thing I want is to acquire more boxes.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The last thing I want is to acquire more boxes.

Exactly. I think the only people who buy this poo poo are people that have never moved before. You're just going to hate yourself when you have to carry extra boxes because of your Civ 6 coins, Pip Boy, and Duke bust.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't preorder, but it's a decent package. Little knickknacks also don't do much for me, but at least these seem like good quality stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

Gaining a bonus for losing a city would make for a civ that bounces back from defeats...

A general revanchism mechanic would be cool.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

Exactly. I think the only people who buy this poo poo are people that have never moved before. You're just going to hate yourself when you have to carry extra boxes because of your Civ 6 coins, Pip Boy, and Duke bust.

Better yet, own no possessions at all, it makes travelling easy and allows you to live the life of a gentle cynic, thus matching your attitude.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Gort posted:

Is it just me or are bonuses like these pretty well-balanced and thought-through, and then we have the Scythians where it's more like "Gain a giant game-winning army fairly early on".

Do they have a game designer working on some civs, and a five-year-old boy designing others in crayon?

Not much different from Civ 5, though I guess in Civ 5 they gave the base civs solid if situationally overpowered abilities (Persia excepted because hahahaha Persia) and then decided to make the DLC and expansion civs completely broken and nonsense for no reason.

"Hey I have an idea for a new civ, it'll be Babylon and we'll give it an overpowered archer replacement, better walls, and let's see a free 8 science per turn for the rest of the game on turn 20, what could possibly go wrong? :downs: "

EDIT - Oh geez I completely forgot the 50% great scientist generation too, that's adding insult to injury.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 25, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like how the central and south american civs were the best (until bnw obviously)

I also like how some of the dlc civs were very powerful, and others were indonesia

Jump King fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 25, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So how will Civ6 handle their obvious DLC monetization policy, while also allowing modding? Because if modding is allowed, then people will be able to trivially add their own civs to the game which cuts into DLC sales. Are they going to pull another civV where modding is basically impossible but they "totally swear that they will release an SDK, for real guys, we promise."

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Powercrazy posted:

So how will Civ6 handle their obvious DLC monetization policy, while also allowing modding? Because if modding is allowed, then people will be able to trivially add their own civs to the game which cuts into DLC sales. Are they going to pull another civV where modding is basically impossible but they "totally swear that they will release an SDK, for real guys, we promise."

Maybe they'll disable achievements multiplayer when using mods? :shepface:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
It would work on me. I am the terrible human being that does not use any add ons that disable achievements. :shepface:

Send help.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

:gonk::hf::gonk:

You and me both, buddy. Feels like I'm missing out on game content without!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Presumably someone in accounting has determined that extensive mod support will cover any profit loss due to DLC aversion. If I had to make a wild guess I would say that's a very safe bet for the type of game Civilization is (and also Xcom, where the sequel included one of the main tools they used to make the game).

These games have hugely loyal fanbases with active communities and they lend themselves very well to even the most basic type of modding where you just open a text file and change some numbers. One thing modders can't generally do is create high quality art assets and audio, which is one reason why I've always been a bit skeptical of the argument that solid mod support cuts into sales at all. I think the reason more studios don't do it is because of the extra development time it takes to create or modify the tools for release (outside of other factors like mods not being appropriate for the type of game) but I have nothing to back that up with.

And speaking of art assets, I haven't seen any comments from Firaxis about it but they must've seriously increased the size of their art department over the last few years. When you compare the assets in 2012's Xcom and Civ 5 to Xcom 2 and the stuff we're seeing in Civ 6, the sheer volume (and quality) difference is night and day. In one of the earlier previews Ed Beach said that people will go crazy when they do the big mod reveal, so I assume the support will be at least as extensive as it is for Xcom 2.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kalko posted:

I think the reason more studios don't do it is because of the extra development time it takes to create or modify the tools for release (outside of other factors like mods not being appropriate for the type of game) but I have nothing to back that up with.

I think in Civ 5's case it was just that it was just really really poorly suited to modding at the core design level. I mean, eventually Civ 5 got quite a lot of tools and support for modding and the entire game DLL source code was provided for anyone to modify. It's just that the engine is so incredibly inflexible that even with these resources it's a pain in the neck to really do anything with it outside of just working with what's already there. And that's not even getting into the complete and total lack of any sort of error handling whatsoever.

If Civ 6 is going to be suitable for extensive modding, it needed to have been designed for such from day one. Hopefully that's what Ed Beach did and he isn't hoping to just tack on the tools after the fact and hope it works out.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Why would anybody buy dlc when they could just download some popular mods?

Mods like:
Overpowered civs made by nationalists
MLP
Hitler
Mods that add a bunch of eclectic features by somebody with no sense of game design
UI redesign
Complex complete overhaul mod sfor nerds who miss civ iv

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The official civs are several cuts above what modders can do in terms of quality. Even for Civ V the very best leader mods don't look as good, as the official ones, and they're even more complex to create now.

People blame game companies/ publishers for making it hard to mod for the past 8 years or so for why there haven't been so many gigantic overhauls as there used to be, and while that's part of it, its also just that creating assets for AAA strategy games that look the part is generally beyond the skill level of your average teenager these days. Things were a lot simpler 10-15 years ago.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 25, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Why would anybody buy dlc when they could just download some popular mods?

Mods like:
Overpowered civs made by nationalists

CiV already had Poland

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Greater Serbia should be a great future era power since it will be a great power in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well yeah but what else could they have done with a country as great as Poland