Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Are you going to put the soldier pool/mission name file up for download?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
One thing to note about Intimidate is that it's success rate gets higher the better the SPARK's armor is.

So it's poo poo in the beginning but can get useful later on if you get lucky.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I've not played XCOM 2 but watching these videos the pods do seem a bit more varied compared to XCOM 1 especially at this level of the game, so the added diversity means you might need your tools for later on.

Four reasons I can think of that make XCOM 1 more 'Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome' friendly:
1. Early game pods are homogenous or leaders have comparable hp
2. Sectoids have 3 hp except on impossible (4 hp); easy to kill with a grenade (3 damage)
3. Sectoids love to mind merge which makes killing multiple enemies easy
4. Tactical rigging

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 25, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Julian "Sentry" Punchbot.

Or Julian "Torrets"

Julian "Jaids" Bot.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 25, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

There are not enough aliens on any map to not shove consumables into every single alien face.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I knew that I had heard Jade Star's explanation of "giant robot crabs" somewhere before this LP...
https://youtu.be/VwvR-B2xKrs
Although, like everything on the Internet, it probably got used as though it was original by 50 people who had seen it on some forum or messageboard, and it propagated out of the people who got it second or third hand.

Also, do weapons still do environment damage in XCom2? I feel like that very menacing wall should have gotten a hole in it after a burst from a mag rifle. It also feels like the incoming plasma isn't eating away at your cover like it did in EU, but you aren't taking incoming plasma all that often, so maybe I'm just not noticing when it does

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

The Door Frame posted:

I knew that I had heard Jade Star's explanation of "giant robot crabs" somewhere before this LP...

I believe he made mention of it in the XCOM 1 LP as well.

I usually just called it Megalixer Syndrome, i.e. "You'll never find 'the time' to use it"

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

What is it about XCOM 2 that makes this effect so much more noticeable than in XCOM EU/EW? I recall numerous points where you would freely use consumables early and often to deny as many shots as you could- it took several episodes before we saw so much as enemy weapons fire.
In addition to more pod variety, even basic enemies on this difficulty have more hitpoints than you can remove reliably with a single grenade.
I tend to be more liberal with grenades than Jade is at the moment but these factors mean that you do want to keep explosives in reserve until you get a good shot opportunity (multiple enemies in the AoE) or something that really needs its armor shredded NOW but your Gunners have poor shots.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want to make a pokemon rom hack where all the pokeballs are master balls but they cost a ton and watch jade star crumble to pieces like a thousand year old statue as he tries to play it

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I want to make a pokemon rom hack where all the pokeballs are master balls but they cost a ton and watch jade star crumble to pieces like a thousand year old statue as he tries to play it
I'd laugh if this didn't sound like some sketchy mobile freemium game that actually exists, such as the lovely knockoffs of established properties that Gamesfreak LP'd a while back.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Door Frame posted:

Although, like everything on the Internet, it probably got used as though it was original by 50 people who had seen it on some forum or messageboard, and it propagated out of the people who got it second or third hand.

I quoted that video as the source in the post of the video where i discus Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome.

Jade Star posted:

On that subject, let's take a moment to discuss my medical condition. GRCS, or Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome. The term was coined by Yahtzee during a Zero punctuation review, and can be most expediently explained by the original video. Watch it here, for about 30 seconds.

I can't tell if you you think you went internet detective and found the Zero Punctuation video, that I myself linked in the very post I brought up the subject, and are attempting to dissuade me from the idea that it was me that coined the term, or not. However the tone of your post seems to express negative feelings towards the term or the propagation of ideas that get filtered through the internet to a large mass.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 25, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i have never once seen intimidate actually work

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It worked all the time for me, usually resulting in a muton blowing the hell out of one of his friends.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This latest video update reminded me of something ridiculous. The sniper rifles have bipods, but since they ditched the crouch/prone system, they're completely cosmetic.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Kwyndig posted:

This latest video update reminded me of something ridiculous. The sniper rifles have bipods, but since they ditched the crouch/prone system, they're completely cosmetic.

I just love the somewhat limp wristed way the grenadiers fire their chain gun. It's almost like their front hand is holding a teacup or something.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jade Star posted:

I quoted that video as the source in the post of the video where i discus Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome.

I can't tell if you you think you went internet detective and found the Zero Punctuation video, that I myself linked in the very post I brought up the subject, and are attempting to dissuade me from the idea that it was me that coined the term, or not. However the tone of your post seems to express negative feelings towards the term or the propagation of ideas that get filtered through the internet to a large mass.

No, no extra searching or anything, I was just watching old episodes of ZP after the retaliation mission got posted and I heard that explanation, so I posted it in the thread. I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel and follow the LP there, since the last XCom thread was massive, so I didn't know that you had already posted it here haha

Didn't mean to stop your use of the term, I was reflecting on the nature of memes and how they are collectively owned by the internet. Like the "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race," Yahtzee's earlier jokes were internalized by the gaming community, and his explanation of "ICINIL" sounds like it was explained to him from somewhere else as well. Reading it back, it does sound rather negative... It was supposed to be conjecture on how you heard that specific wording, since I don't think you talked about its origins in the videos, and I only see the YouTube videos without their accompanying posts :doh:

Sorry for my pissy tone, there was no ill will intended

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah I have ill-will over Bulwark instead

I realize this is just the latest in a long line of how Jade and Guava play the game differently but I have to agree with Guava: I will always prefer the method of "if they are dead, they can't shoot me" which means mobile high cover is a convenience, not an essential. Being able to take extra murder actions and just stomp all over a pod? yes.

It's better as opposed to optimizing for making the shots they do take having the least effect.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 25, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

yeah I have ill-will over Bulwark instead

I realize this is just the latest in a long line of how Jade and Guava play the game differently but I have to agree with Guava: I will always prefer the method of "if they are dead, they can't shoot me" which means mobile high cover is a convenience, not an essential. Being able to take extra murder actions and just stomp all over a pod? yes.

It's better as opposed to optimizing for making the shots they do take having the least effect.

From my experience with the game so far, I agree with you but only up to a point. Once later game enemies like the new floaters and not-calcinites become common along with advanced and elite ADVENT, I find I can rarely put down more than two enemies per turn due to their durability and dodge. My tactics went instead towards quickly killing what I could, but with an eye towards defense because I could rarely count on reliably killing more than one or two in a single turn.

Enemies feel a lot more resilient in this game than they did in Enemy Unknown, and that hampers the rocket tag style I previously associated with the series.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Use even more explosives :v:

if my grenadiers ended the mission with grenades remaining, I did it wrong. I open with grenades. I close with grenades. Always Be Grenading.

Late-game enemies do tend to shift the balance a little, but what I did was just modify my squad composition to have more stupidly high damage classes. It's not spoiling anything to say a ranger with near-guaranteed crits can do monstrously awesome damage, and grenadiers just so happen to be able to clear cover and guarantee those crits. Combine with some colonel abilities, and, well. There are also some nice, basically guaranteed one-turn (or more) disable moves from multiple classes you can throw down which really splits one pod into two: kill half of it, disable the other half, end turn, do it again.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Giant Crab Syndrome kind of dies down once the Shadow Chamber pops and you can see exactly how many enemies and of what types will show up on a mission.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

if my grenadiers ended the mission with grenades remaining, I did it wrong. I open with grenades. I close with grenades. Always Be Grenading.

Late-game enemies do tend to shift the balance a little, but what I did was just modify my squad composition to have more stupidly high damage classes. It's not spoiling anything to say a ranger with near-guaranteed crits can do monstrously awesome damage, and grenadiers just so happen to be able to clear cover and guarantee those crits. Combine with some colonel abilities, and, well. There are also some nice, basically guaranteed one-turn (or more) disable moves from multiple classes you can throw down which really splits one pod into two: kill half of it, disable the other half, end turn, do it again.

My successful game, I had two grenadiers - one focused on her cannon, one on grenades. I ended up using them both primarily for armor stripping. Like my sniper, they could always put a good hurt on things, but rarely killed anything of their own hook. My only character I felt I could consistently trust with "Go kill that full-health dude" was my ranger. The blaster bomb and plasma blaster both worked nicely, but those are both once per mission. I could pretty consistently kill one or two enemies and bring the rest down to half health or so, but eh. Maybe I just need to get better at this or use different tools next time.

Dodge is just plain frustrating. All three things you need to kill in the final mission, died from abilities that guaranteed hits. Hail of Bullets was a really nice AWC pickup on my sniper.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Canuck-Errant posted:

To be fair, Giant Crab Syndrome kind of dies down once the Shadow Chamber pops and you can see exactly how many enemies and of what types will show up on a mission.

It's cute you think Jade's memory will last long enough for him to remember things like that.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Radio posted:

Are you going to put the soldier pool/mission name file up for download?
The soldier pool was posted somewhere in the middle of this thread. No idea why it isnt in the OP.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Door Frame posted:

No, no extra searching or anything, I was just watching old episodes of ZP after the retaliation mission got posted and I heard that explanation, so I posted it in the thread. I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel and follow the LP there, since the last XCom thread was massive, so I didn't know that you had already posted it here haha

Didn't mean to stop your use of the term, I was reflecting on the nature of memes and how they are collectively owned by the internet. Like the "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race," Yahtzee's earlier jokes were internalized by the gaming community, and his explanation of "ICINIL" sounds like it was explained to him from somewhere else as well. Reading it back, it does sound rather negative... It was supposed to be conjecture on how you heard that specific wording, since I don't think you talked about its origins in the videos, and I only see the YouTube videos without their accompanying posts :doh:

Sorry for my pissy tone, there was no ill will intended

No worries buddy, i just couldn't understand the tone of your post at first read.

Iretep posted:

The soldier pool was posted somewhere in the middle of this thread. No idea why it isnt in the OP.

Because I am bad at remembering things. I will throw it into the second post i think.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Koorisch posted:

One thing to note about Intimidate is that it's success rate gets higher the better the SPARK's armor is.

So it's poo poo in the beginning but can get useful later on if you get lucky.

Does that mean Bulwark makes Intimidate more effective or is it just the equipment level that matters?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

White Coke posted:

Does that mean Bulwark makes Intimidate more effective or is it just the equipment level that matters?
I think Bulwark does synergize with Intimate.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

White Coke posted:

That's something you'd have to check in the code, my gut reaction is no but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually did process off of current armor level.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

It's cute you think Jade's memory will last long enough for him to remember things like that.

Mostly I think Guava will remember this and needle Jade relentlessly about enemy counts until Jade starts keeping track out of sheer frustration.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Psion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKwpTVdWUw <- Unit spoilers probably be careful

Feels fitting to post this right now. Grenadier and her Ranger buddy working together.

I'd say grenadiers are probably the most important class in the game. Guaranteed AoE damage that can destroy cover some 4 times per mission? I barely ever fire their main weapon, no reason to. If you field two of them in a mission then every fight is a guaranteed shooting gallery for the rest of the team. Cover is a myth.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

JT Jag posted:

I think Bulwark does synergize with Intimate.

And it produces the strongest, all-covering hugs.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014
One minor point: The Spark weapon doesn't need Gauss weapon research to be upgraded - it can be upgraded along with the rifle. This is quite nice, as it gives early access to 2 points of shredding per shot. Although this depends on the spark actually being able to hit something.

Jade Star posted:

Intimidate Vs Wrecking Ball

Guava makes a good point here: combine waypoints with wrecking ball to take away cover from multiple enemies. I never thought of that, and now I want to try it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I assume Julian is named after Julian Gollop, the designer of the original X-Com?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

sincx posted:

I assume Julian is named after Julian Gollop, the designer of the original X-Com?

Sure is! As pointed out in the video where he makes his appearance.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Iny posted:

Sure is! As pointed out in the video where he makes his appearance.

But "Gollop" probably isn't a good nickname for him in-game. How about "Lobstakilla" for the Spark's nickname? Too soon?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Narsham posted:

But "Gollop" probably isn't a good nickname for him in-game. How about "Lobstakilla" for the Spark's nickname? Too soon?

Lobster Pot

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Julian "Daddy's Boy" Shen

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Julian "Undertaker" Shen

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna go with what Guava said. Wrecking Ball sounds really cool, but Jade's not using Overdrive enough to nearly justify it. So I'm gonna say Julian get his mitts on Intimidate.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Wait, do we NOT have a Duke Nukem soundpack for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

GoneRampant posted:

I'm gonna go with what Guava said. Wrecking Ball sounds really cool, but Jade's not using Overdrive enough to nearly justify it. So I'm gonna say Julian get his mitts on Intimidate.
On the other hand, being able to wreck cover whenever he wants in addition to being a source of high cover to move into for missions such as this where there is a distinct lack of any might get him to use it more.

Then again intimidate stacks with more armor and bulwark provides more armor.

Also he probably won't use it more even if he should be using it more.

• Locked thread