Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

OK I can't keep straight anymore. The US dub has made things too confusing for me by renaming everything. So help me out here: Who is the guy that will cause Beerus to vanish if they die? The old guy, the guy Buu ate/killed, or the short guy?

VVV My bad, thank you.

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I said lacks, not cuts. Kai not adapting HIstory of Trunks as an episode of the show was a really weird move when it is canon, as it is based on the manga, and actually really good. Hell, it made Super have to redo a scene for a flashback, with...questionable results. Using a part of Bardock was a really good move though.

History of Trunks and Bardock: the Father of Goku are not movies. I also don't agree with a part of your list, Bojack was an incredibly mediocre movie that should be skipped, and Cooler's Revenge definitely deserves top-ranking. Not Meta-Cooler though, that was lame as hell. Wrath of the Dragon has some really cool moments too, even if it could've used less Goku.

And yeah, once you finish the series, watching Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F" is a must. Both happen after a special, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return or something like that which also should be watched.

And Super. And the videogames. And the manga. The Dragon Ball train never ends.

Ah, I misread your post then. As for History/Bardock not being movies, they're "Specials" which we didn't get in the main canon of DBZ, which I just lump together with them. They are completely self-inclusive and stand on their own.

Wrath of the Dragon is just a bad movie. There are neat parts stitched together with poo poo strings.

As is, like I said people will have different taste in the films. But generally people agree on the ones that I noted being absolutely skippable should be skipped ( The three Broly Movies especially ).

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

OK I can't keep straight anymore. The US dub has made things too confusing for me by renaming everything. So help me out here: Who is the guy that will cause Beerus to vanish if they die? The old guy, the guy Buu ate/killed, or the short guy?

The Short Guy

Also nice use of spoiler tags.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

StrifeHira posted:

That's... basically what I said, though? There's a cosmic link between them, and Beerus as a God of Destruction can't exist without a God of Creation to balance him. He'd be gone if the Supreme Kai died, because that guy is the only living one left. If it were the Grand Supreme Kai or the West Supreme Kai or whoever that survived Buu's rampage, Beerus would still be fine. He himself isn't personally linked to the surviving Supreme Kai like Piccolo and Kami were, but that their "positions" as creator god and destroyer god are linked. It's like a cosmic check on the Gods of Destruction to make sure they don't go too far when they destroy things. There weren't multiple Gods of Destruction out there, and Beerus existed before the current Supreme Kai even came into being (Elder Kai was sealed by him, remember), but there always existed someone in the Supreme Kai role while Beerus has been around.

That's why Beerus sealed Old Kai into a sword. He's crafty like that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rudoku posted:

That's why Beerus sealed Old Kai into a sword. He's crafty like that.

Well he still died.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

presumably he would have died anyways considering he told goku he only had a few years left.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The Supreme Kai is basically whoever happens to be wearing the Potara earrings at the time. Wearing even one of them probably qualifies, given how that one scene with Zamasu and the dinosaur humans went.

You could argue that Vegito could have taken up the role, if the Buu saga had gone way differently.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Wearing the potara does not literally make you the supreme kai

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hjalmar posted:

The Supreme Kai is basically whoever happens to be wearing the Potara earrings at the time. Wearing even one of them probably qualifies, given how that one scene with Zamasu and the dinosaur humans went.

You could argue that Vegito could have taken up the role, if the Buu saga had gone way differently.

so you're saying vegito had god ki

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

If you steal the Pope's hat and wear it, you're the new Santa Claus. Those are the rules, guys.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aurora posted:

But Vegito was a great Supreme Kai.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh yeah? If Vegeto is so good how did he lose his fight in Multiverse!!!???? HMMMMM!!!?????

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well he was still a Supreme Kai.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I could beat up vegeto if I just took off this weighted fat.
:goonsay:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Aurora posted:

it did when kibito put one on

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm reading the Viz version of the manga for the first time.

The first 2 volumes of Dragonball OG are pretty awfully translated, huh. Like something from the meme ages (10's).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

has anyone noticed the plots have become a lot more reactionary since the cell saga. The Z-Warriors aren't actually doing much of their own initiative these days.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They always were reactionary to a degree hell DBZ starts with the most reactionary plot line.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There's only two arcs in the entire series that aren't reactionary really (Red Ribbon and Namek)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you think about it, the tournaments/finding the dragon balls are the only things dbz characters ever do just because they want to do it

Aurora posted:

There's only two arcs in the entire series that aren't reactionary really (Red Ribbon and Namek)

namek only happens because piccolo dies and they need the dragon balls back and the red ribbon stuff is goku finding the dragon balls

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goku really wanted to gently caress up some ribbons tho.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

because tao killed his friend

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I mostly mean that Goku went off to find the Dragon Balls after the tournament on his own reasons and they came up with going to Namek on their own

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm reading the Viz version of the manga for the first time.

The first 2 volumes of Dragonball OG are pretty awfully translated, huh. Like something from the meme ages (10's).

What problems do you have with it? The translation most def gets better, but even the early stuff was fine to me and good for the tone of the series.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

goku wants to train to get stronger to fight strong men. he's never been reactionary because nobody would need to coerce him into fighting them, even if sometimes they do anyways by killing krillin

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

What problems do you have with it? The translation most def gets better, but even the early stuff was fine to me and good for the tone of the series.

It feels really poppy and doesn't match the character voices to me. The other translator they had do vol 3 did a lot of Z and her stuff reads much better overall. Though she's probably responsible for Boo the Djinn and Vegerot so ehhh

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

It feels really poppy and doesn't match the character voices to me. The other translator they had do vol 3 did a lot of Z and her stuff reads much better overall. Though she's probably responsible for Boo the Djinn and Vegerot so ehhh

Huh, never got that far in the Viz translation. Interpreting Majin as Djinn might work, interesting idea, and myself I did always find the Vegeto compound name not working in English being a bit offputting. Kakketa? Kageta?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm pretty okay with Djinn in place of Majin but if it's a situation where it's clearly originally "Majin Buu", it's Boo the Djinn everytime and it's pretty wordy. Even using Djinn Boo would be better.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 25, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

controversial opinion: Vegerot is better than Vegetto or his million other spellings because it gets the Vegeta/Kakarott combination across better to non-Japanese readers.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While normally I understand advocating for accuracy...Vegerot is still a really bad sounding name. The "rot" just doesn't flow well from the "Vege" at all.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Vegito is great

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Vegeku.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Raise your hand if you had friends as kids who assumed Gogeta was pronounced "Go getta" with two hard G's instead of being a combination of Goku and Vegeta's names.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i pronounced it with two hard G's but then Vegeta's name in the German dub was pronounced with a hard G also

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Gogeta Goestar.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xad posted:

Raise your hand if you had friends as kids who assumed Gogeta was pronounced "Go getta" with two hard G's instead of being a combination of Goku and Vegeta's names.

I did, but Vegeta is pronounced like that in the Latin American dub, so Gogeta would follow.

On that note, said Latin America Gogeta for you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB7zGBWU4wA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wANvyVFXKtAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM3f8Hc7FHM

My dearest wish for XV2 and/or other Dragon Ball games in the future is a Latin American dub, like the last Saint Seiya game got. These will always be the best voices for me.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Leak talk

The concept art that spoiled Super Saiyan Rose also showed Gogeta. I think it's safe to say we'll see Fusion return.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Agoat posted:

Leak talk

The concept art that spoiled Super Saiyan Rose also showed Gogeta. I think it's safe to say we'll see Fusion return.

That wasn't concept art, it was merchandise stuff. Like lil mini-posters

But it would be cool if you were right.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

They've set up fusion heavily throughout Super with Whis saying Goku and Vegeta would do really well working together and them being all "no way"

It's also set up to probably be Vegito since they de-fused Kibito Kai

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Vegito becomes a Kaioshin and Toriyama reveals he just stole the DBM storyline that time they visited him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Stop making him a Kaioshin :mad:

• Locked thread