Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hup posted:

Boo on magical scarab. All his transformations are robot lookin and alien!

That's what the darkest sorcerers want you to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

Have you considered that you're actually a huge turd?

Apologies to Edge & Christian.

Uh oh someones upset I disrupted their safe space!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alucard Nacirema posted:

lmao get out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
How was Titans #2?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

How was Titans #2?

I thought it was entertaining. Pacing seems fine to me, and I'm mostly just happy to see Omen at all (I think her new costume is rad).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Roth posted:

I thought it was entertaining. Pacing seems fine to me, and I'm mostly just happy to see Omen at all (I think her new costume is rad).

Would you purchase it over hell blazer or blue beetle?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Get better catchphrases, you dull hack.

Beetle was pretty bad, the art equally so. I have learned to accept I'm never going to get a book akin to Ultimate Spider-Man with a Blue Beetle crew, which seems like the insanely obvious pitch.

I'm done with Action, at least with shipping we didn't waste half a year on this, but if this is the pace Jurgens is gonna write for, he's going to drag eeeeeeverything out.

Thank God for Tec, it was the only thing on my list saving this week.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Space_Butler posted:

Get better catchphrases, you dull hack.

Beetle was pretty bad, the art equally so. I have learned to accept I'm never going to get a book akin to Ultimate Spider-Man with a Blue Beetle crew, which seems like the insanely obvious pitch.

I'm done with Action, at least with shipping we didn't waste half a year on this, but if this is the pace Jurgens is gonna write for, he's going to drag eeeeeeverything out.

Thank God for Tec, it was the only thing on my list saving this week.

I dropped Action two issues ago, good to hear I'm not missing much.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

Would you purchase it over hell blazer or blue beetle?

I'd probably pick it up over Hellblazer but not Blue Beetle. Though, I guess your mileage may vary on Blue Beetle apparently.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Roth posted:

I'd probably pick it up over Hellblazer but not Blue Beetle. Though, I guess your mileage may vary on Blue Beetle apparently.

Thanks.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Oh gently caress, please don't make the Question into a Rorschach stand-in. The whole point of that issue is that Rorschach is a lovely role model.

I can't wait for Batman to figure everything out when Damian brings home a copy of Watchmen.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If they go the dumb route, they need to have the Charlton Comics characters fight their counterparts.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space_Butler posted:

What was this comic if not akin to USM?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Man I love Moritat on Hellblazer so much.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roth posted:

If they go the dumb route, they need to have the Charlton Comics characters fight their counterparts.

Comedian: How are you able to fight with that toilet on your head?
*Peacemaker throws Comedian through a skyscraper window*

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh my god. Open Window Man could be The Comedian's ultimate foe.
This whole concept is saved.

e: I love these Tim Sale variants.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 25, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

lmao get out

lmao seconded

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yall gotta like, react less to trolls.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

Deathstroke has been a rather pleasant surprise for me so far.

I feel like it's attempting to make him sympathetic without shying away from the fact that he's not a good person, which helps a lot.

I've always regarded Deathstroke as kind of a dull sandbagger among "ultimate killer" archetypes, and even I'm enjoying his new series, for much the same reason.
Will Red Hood #2 be good too? Are these signs of Rebirth's general quality, or my sliding standards regarding masked killers?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

:allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

you get out too you worthless waste of bandwidth

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Space Fish posted:

I've always regarded Deathstroke as kind of a dull sandbagger among "ultimate killer" archetypes, and even I'm enjoying his new series, for much the same reason.
Will Red Hood #2 be good too? Are these signs of Rebirth's general quality, or my sliding standards regarding masked killers?

I won't be finding out about that one. The Rebirth issue was enough for me.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dario the Wop posted:

Bleeding Cool reports that The Question #17 from '88, featuring Vic meeting Rorschach in a dream, will be part of the DC vs. Watchmen story.

Hm, that sounds utterly insane. What was Vic Sage's status in N52, anyway?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Hm, that sounds utterly insane. What was Vic Sage's status in N52, anyway?

A multi thousand year old being, cursed at the same time as Pandora.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

A multi thousand year old being, cursed at the same time as Pandora.

No, that's The Question, who is not Vic Sage.

Vic Sage, who is not the Question, also exists. He's a corrupt Suicide Squad director or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

No, that's The Question, who is not Vic Sage.

Vic Sage, who is not the Question, also exists. He's a corrupt Suicide Squad director or something.

They're not the same person in N52? Oh fer gently caress's sake.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Incorporating Watchmen into the DC universe and using it as the impetus for Rebirth was completely batshit already, but on the other hand, some of my favorite comics have been those that doubled and then quadrupled down on their own stupidity. So, sure, use the 25 year old dream sequence of a character who's been dead for a decade and has no real counterpart in the present continuity. Sounds good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Huge turds tend to do that. Get out.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

What was this comic if not akin to USM?

yea I mean the Jaime Reyes BB books are basically DC's Ultimate Spider-Man. It's as close a clone as your ever going to get to that book.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Huge turds tend to do that. Get out.

Totally rational response to someone who doesn't like a comic book character and believes their creation was a publicity stunt.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
A publicity stunt for what, exactly? Increasing diversity? Selling comics?

I am genuinely curious about how deeply you wanna dig this hole. I like it when posters are completely transparent with their terrible opinions.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If Jaime is forced diversity then I hope DC continues to force it like that.

BrianWilly posted:

A publicity stunt for what, exactly? Increasing diversity? Selling comics?

Are you telling me that corporations do things they think will increase their profits?

Roth fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 25, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, let's be fair that it does often come across like DC has the opposite goal in mind. :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

IDK why I'm even bothering with this.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Uh so has Cyborg. Know why? Because they were part of DCs agenda so they crammed them into everything.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

This is very different then say cable being introduced in the X-men comics, becoming insanely popular, and then appearing in the 90s X-men series because of said popularity or Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain being brought back due to sheer fan demand.

What exactly are you basing this off of? Cyborg was a major member of the 80s New Teen Titans, which was basically DCs biggest series at the time and the main competition to Uncanny X-Men. He was later used in the really popular cartoon that boosted his popularity even more. Jaime was introduced in Infinite Crisis, got his own series that was popular enough to last three years, and was also used in Brave and the Bold and Young Justice. He's basically been dormant in the comics since Threshold got canned, and only recently has Jaime really gotten much of anything. They've both been fan-favorite characters for a while, so I really fail to see how this is so different from those examples considering they've both been fan-favorite characters for a while now.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Roth posted:

IDK why I'm even bothering with this.

What exactly are you basing this off of? Cyborg was a major member of the 80s New Teen Titans, which was basically DCs biggest series at the time and the main competition to Uncanny X-Men. He was later used in the really popular cartoon that boosted his popularity even more. Jaime was introduced in Infinite Crisis, got his own series that was popular enough to last three years, and was also used in Brave and the Bold and Young Justice. He's basically been dormant in the comics since Threshold got canned, and only recently has Jaime really gotten much of anything. They've both been fan-favorite characters for a while, so I really fail to see how this is so different from those examples considering they've both been fan-favorite characters for a while now.

I was referring to how Cyborg got a huge push in the new 52 becoming a founding JL member, appearing in everything from cartoons to games as if he was always a staple character, got his own series and will soon be getting his own movie (and also starring in Justice League and guest starring in a few other films).

I'm not saying all diversity is bad. Batwoman, Steel, Jessica Cruz, Damian, Ms Marvel, Silk, etc. are all fantastic characters but they were additive and carved their own niche and they didn't suddenly kill off a character to ram the new one down our throats like they did with Jaime. Then Didio made all that BS spin how BB was an obscure character that nobody gave a gently caress about and now thanks to Jaime Didio made the franchise super relevant. Which was absurd because literally the year before "I can't believe it's not the justice league" was one of their best selling titles which featured Ted prominently and he was a beloved member of JLI and had a loyal following. I'll just conclude by saying the whole thing rubbed me the wrong way and I'll just leave it at that.

BTW, I bought the first issue and thought it was pretty garbage. I'll be amazed if it lasts longer than 6 issues.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Kicking MMH out of the Justice League to make room for Cyborg was a mistake (we should have gotten John Stewart GL, but Geoff Johns), and Ted Kord deserved better than to get shot in the head (again, Geoff Johns), but why do you care if Cyborg is a character in Injustice, or if Jaime shows up in a couple of good cartoons? Yes DC has an ~~agenda~~ to promote diversity, but that in and of itself is something to be lauded, even if they don't always handle it very well. Attacking the idea of diversity and throwing out stupid mocking gamergate phrases like "safe spaces" means everyone just stops listening to you.

Did you hate it when the Justice League cartoon pushed John Stewart over Kyle Rayner, or Hawkgirl over Aquaman/Hawkman/Zauriel? Did you care that Aqualad was replaced with a black character in Young Justice?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Space Fish posted:

What kind of monkey's paw deal did Keith Giffen make that gets projects like Justice League 3000 and a Ted+Jaime Blue Beetle series, but his banter's gone to crap?

Isn't it that he was self-admittedly never particularly great at dialogue, hence asking J.M to come help him out with the JLI back in the day? Perhaps I'm mis-remembering.

Anyway, I checked out Superwoman and rather dug it, it's only Rebirth book that's caught my attention in the slightest. How come no one can see Lois' face, though, is she actually doing that goofy/brilliant Silver Age thing of moving/vibrating her head so fast it's a blurry mess?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Totally rational response to someone who doesn't like a comic book character and believes their creation was a publicity stunt.

No, totally rational response to someone who's being a huge turd. Get it right, dude.

(seriously, Larfleeze? That's just sad)

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Cyborg is garbage on the Justice League though.

He would improve by 1,000% if they actually would've imported his Teen Titans cartoon characteristics of being over enthusiastic about everything. Instead he's pretty much the same boring, straight shooter stoic black guy archetype which makes him indistinguishable from every other Black male character not named Luke Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hellblazer was great, Wonder Woman's "Lies" storyline is starting to pick up but Deathstroke was the absolute highlight of the week and is quickly becoming my favourite series alongside Green Arrow.

I wish Aco would do the interiors as well though, loved him on Midnighter.