Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Halloween owns, funhaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's the best holiday, beloved by adults and children alike.

I did have one person every year try and call it "Samhain" or whatever bullshit, that almost counts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes, that one guy with the chapbook and the devil sticks, he kept popping up.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bean_shadow posted:

Caligula declared himself a God and wanted to put a statue of himself in the Temple, causing a dude named Philo of Alexandria to go to Rome with a delegation to convince him not to do it. He was killed before he could put his plans into action. I think Nero is the one most associated as the anti-Christ or "Beast".

A lot of this is covered in the PYF historical facts thread but it's generally accepted that anything you hear about roman emperors being utterly depraved insane people is at the very least exaggerated and at most totally made up, especially when it comes to caligula and nero. Historians of the time were almost entirely like The National Enquirer or the Daily Mail is today in terms of hyperbole and most factoids specifically regarding the emperors was mostly written by either their enemies or people hundreds of years seperated from them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That sounds about right, since this interpretation of Revelation we're talking about makes it out to be basically the equivalent of a Branco cartoon.

E: And lo there arose a fifth horseman, and his name was DEBT

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I love Halloween, but then again I am a costume designer for theater. :shrug:

This year's costume is Coronation Cersei Lannister :getin:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Halloween is great. It's the only day I take off every year. Gonna carve some pumpkins, oh yeah.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Aramek posted:

I did have one person every year try and call it "Samhain" or whatever bullshit, that almost counts.

My mom is a Wiccan of some kind and she does that. She had this weird idea that a big grab bag of mystical stuff (I never ask details) were commonplace in modern Celtic countries and when I moved to Brittany (she lives in the States) this was one of the things she was excited to "confirm" to her Wiccan friends. She thinks Celtic languages are somehow more "in tune with magic" so she assumed that since I speak Breton I must have had magical business going on around me on a daily basis. She pretty frequently calls me with odd questions but she was really in rare form that night.

me: :confused:

her: :j:

:j: So, are you doing anything for Samhain?

:confused: Sorry, for what? (she had pronounced it like Sam Hane)

:j: *spells out Samhain*

:confused: Ah, Samhain. That's Irish for November, I guess I don't really understand the question?

:j: It's a Celtic festival, on that day the walls between this world and the other are thinner. Are any of your friends going to any ceremonies or rituals tonight?

:confused: Not that I'm aware of.

:j: Maybe it's because you're a foreigner and they think you wouldn't understand

:confused: I'm pretty sure most of my friends are going to Halloween parties or bars.

:j: They'll probably do it afterwards.

:confused: Sorry but I should probably go, I'm meeting some friends at the bar in a few minutes.

:j: Be careful going home afterwards, fairies will be out tonight and they can be dangerous.

:confused: Ok mom, talk to you later.

I love her to death but conversations like that are just exhausting.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Halloween is for costumes and drinking. And because I don't drink and I'm too lazy to make costumes I'm just a stick in the mud.

Also my friend's mother is wiccan or something similar and she is just the sweetest and nicest person in the world.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Soviet Commubot posted:

My mom is a Wiccan of some kind and she does that. She had this weird idea that a big grab bag of mystical stuff (I never ask details) were commonplace in modern Celtic countries and when I moved to Brittany (she lives in the States) this was one of the things she was excited to "confirm" to her Wiccan friends. She thinks Celtic languages are somehow more "in tune with magic" so she assumed that since I speak Breton I must have had magical business going on around me on a daily basis. She pretty frequently calls me with odd questions but she was really in rare form that night.

:confused: Ah, Samhain. That's Irish for November, I guess I don't really understand the question?

:j: It's a Celtic festival, on that day the walls between this world and the other are thinner. Are any of your friends going to any ceremonies or rituals tonight?

:j: Maybe it's because you're a foreigner and they think you wouldn't understand

:confused: I'm pretty sure most of my friends are going to Halloween parties or bars.

:confused: Sorry but I should probably go, I'm meeting some friends at the bar in a few minutes.

:j: Be careful going home afterwards, fairies will be out tonight and they can be dangerous.

Your mom and I would have gotten along great when I was 15.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Your mom and I would have gotten along great when I was 15.

I know I got along with her great when I was 15. :getin:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soviet Commubot posted:

This seems adorable as long as you're not the one directly conversing with her.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

*Man does woman's job, gets paid more*

"It's not sexism, guys, men are just better"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's me, the grumpy rear end in a top hat who wonders why we're still supposed to dress up for Halloween in a "clever" costume even though we're all around 30.

Seriously when did it become something other than a kids' holiday

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Since the 80s at the very latest. Probably much earlier since giving women a pretense to dress up in skimpy costumes in public without being labelled as slutty is something most humans in society get behind.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Soviet Commubot posted:

:barf: :destiny:

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
A stupid meme page I follow on Facebook got an offer to sell their group to a man named Mahmoud and though their initial refusal to sell and championing of the greatest fanbase on FB was cute, they immediately followed it up with pointless racism - this is only one of a few places in the comments thread where they made the "Mahmoud is a camel-fucker name" 'joke'.

Public page, public shame.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

zakharov posted:

It's me, the grumpy rear end in a top hat who wonders why we're still supposed to dress up for Halloween in a "clever" costume even though we're all around 30.

Seriously when did it become something other than a kids' holiday

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=8IIWZ3kxLG4

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's so weird I'm from the UK and over here we think of halloween as an american idea for kids (in it's modern guise).

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

IamnotJoe posted:

Oh got one.
Opposing viewpoints for imgurs liberal views. https://imgur.com/gallery/iFGL9

Man, really makes you loving think.

About how stupid people are to consider those valid arguments.

I always find it frightening how alt-right imgur is turning since it always makes me wonder if that just means that imgur is attractive to a certain alt-right inclined part of the internet, if the internet in general falls on that side of the spectrum or if those people are just more zealous in pushing their loving poo poo in other people's faces.

The acceleration of echo chambers is the worst.

(Although I love that once more these fuckers say freedom of speech is not freedom from speech even though they are as censorship happy as one can be. Also I finally got to see my browser extension replacing PC with "treating people with respect" working, which makes me p happy.)

RFC2324 posted:

I know I got along with her great when I was 15. :getin:

:eyepop::boom:

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

A stupid meme page I follow on Facebook got an offer to sell their group to a man named Mahmoud and though their initial refusal to sell and championing of the greatest fanbase on FB was cute, they immediately followed it up with pointless racism - this is only one of a few places in the comments thread where they made the "Mahmoud is a camel-fucker name" 'joke'.

Public page, public shame.

That sucks, I used to love that page. I just want to look at funny Hank Hill pictures without ironic racism :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Fathis Munk posted:

Man, really makes you loving think.

About how stupid people are to consider those valid arguments.

I always find it frightening how alt-right imgur is turning since it always makes me wonder if that just means that imgur is attractive to a certain alt-right inclined part of the internet, if the internet in general falls on that side of the spectrum or if those people are just more zealous in pushing their loving poo poo in other people's faces.

The acceleration of echo chambers is the worst.

(Although I love that once more these fuckers say freedom of speech is not freedom from speech even though they are as censorship happy as one can be. Also I finally got to see my browser extension replacing PC with "treating people with respect" working, which makes me p happy.)

:eyepop::boom:

What's aggrivating is that my brother and I have lately tried to be more outspoken with facebook conservative shitposting but the problem is that we struggle to articulate our opposition effectively. I feel like the Internet makes drive-by stuff like this very easy while actually forming a rebuttal to it in a way that would get through the initial poster takes considerably more effort.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I wouldn't bother trying, the kind of people espousing those views aren't the kind that can be convinced that they're wrong. If something changes they're mind, it's not going to be someone who typed some words at them over the internet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

IamnotJoe posted:

Oh got one.
Opposing viewpoints for imgurs liberal views. https://imgur.com/gallery/iFGL9

Most of those are pretty cookie cutter "opinions" based on blatant lies or deep insincerity, defending your right to discriminate against anyone who is different from you, but I do like the twist of point #5 complaining that modern society has no sense of togetherness or caring for your fellow man. It really elevates the entire discussion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Panfilo posted:

What's aggrivating is that my brother and I have lately tried to be more outspoken with facebook conservative shitposting but the problem is that we struggle to articulate our opposition effectively. I feel like the Internet makes drive-by stuff like this very easy while actually forming a rebuttal to it in a way that would get through the initial poster takes considerably more effort.

Yeah, that post is basically a shotgun approach to debate, where you give so many opinions that your opponent can't really give a rebuttal without writing thousands of words.

I think that imgur's format makes it particularly terrible for political discourse. The "OP" is free to use as many words he wants in the captions to his images, but the responses can only be a couple hundred characters long. So you end up in a situation where the OP and their supporters think they totally owned all the liberals because no one can give a comprehensive rebuttal to their points (due to the character limit).

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I recently got a job in a STEM field, let's celebrate my tenth "Oh wow, you got a boy job? You must be relatively smart for a girl!" comment :toot:

quote:

Women aren’t interested in Working Period. There only doing it to meet a computer nerd who has a lot of money. That’s all that is.

Get him to marry her.
then divorce him. Take half, retire.

quote:

Women are absolutely TERRIBLE at anything that actually requires a brain and logic. The ones that aren’t are more like men than women. And by that I don’t mean they’re gay or bulky or don’t bathe or whatever. I mean they THINK like a man. They don’t like makeup, they can think logically, and they’re not an emotional basket-case like pretty much all “normal” women. Women like these I can stand to be around. Unfortunately they’re EXTREMELY rare. Like 1 in 10,000 at most.
Men don't bathe, got it.

quote:

It's because STEM is no fun.

Women are highly adaptive to short-term stimuli. This is both their blessing and curse. Their sensations are more important to them than men. This is why there are brands of chocolate and ice cream marketed specifically to women, and none to men.

STEM in general is about abstraction. Women are much more focused on the here, the now, the practical.

There's an old joke:

"My husband and I have got our marriage figured out," the wife said to her friend. "He makes the big decisions, and I make the little ones."

"Oh?" said her friend. "Like what?"

"He decides things like: who should be in Congress, what the tax rate should be, and which countries should declare war on each other. I decide things like: where we will live, what job he should have, and whose parents we visit for Christmas."

STEM is the study of big decisions.

quote:

Hypothesis: too much hormones clouds your judgment and self-control. Women get teary-eyed and illogical from estrogen. Men get restless, angry and violent from testosterone.

The boys in STEM have a testosterone deficit, which allowed them to sit still through math classes and other boring poo poo. They are pure, sexless intellects with the hormone-deprived bodies of wimps.

P.S. Since I started lifting weights I feel like my drive to code for fun has waned.

quote:

There are more and more opportunities for ladies. If you can do your make-up nicely and style yourself well, then you can also make a cool website too!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

PiratePing posted:

I recently got a job in a STEM field, let's celebrate my tenth "Oh wow, you got a boy job? You must be relatively smart for a girl!" comment :toot:

Men don't bathe, got it.

Man gently caress that poo poo, and I'm a dude. My wife has a Master's degree, and I'm proud as hell of what she does. I got a BA, but my job doesn't require my particular degree. She makes 1.5x what I make and that's perfectly fine by me, she's earned it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can't imagine how those charmers might form the belief that a woman would only be interested in them for their bank account when they're clearly such vibrant, inviting people.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The worst part is even if you have a valid argument, There are a couple hundred to a couple thousand people that upvoted the OP ready to downvote you and bury your opinion in the dirt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PiratePing posted:

STEM in general is about abstraction. Women are much more focused on the here, the now, the practical.

There's an old joke:

"My husband and I have got our marriage figured out," the wife said to her friend. "He makes the big decisions, and I make the little ones."

"Oh?" said her friend. "Like what?"

"He decides things like: who should be in Congress, what the tax rate should be, and which countries should declare war on each other. I decide things like: where we will live, what job he should have, and whose parents we visit for Christmas."

STEM is the study of big decisions.
Even better than the fact that he's using a joke as evidence for his dumb argument is the fact that he clearly doesn't even understand the joke.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Panfilo posted:

Man gently caress that poo poo, and I'm a dude. My wife has a Master's degree, and I'm proud as hell of what she does. I got a BA, but my job doesn't require my particular degree. She makes 1.5x what I make and that's perfectly fine by me, she's earned it.

It's the first time in my life I felt the gender divide so strongly to be honest. This year my boyfriend supported us while I finished up my studies which was apparently As It Should Be. Now we're moving to a different country for my job and then it will be my turn to support him while he looks for a PhD position. Seemingly reasonable people are so concerned that he won't have his girlfriend to cook and clean and wipe his manbuns for a few months before he can join me there. Once he moves he will be safe, I'll naturally keep doing all the housework in between playing career lady. An open-minded friend thought it was sweet that I would earn more than my boyfriend, because then he will have zero responsibilities until I poop out a baby and evidently give up on working.

It's a good example of sexism working both ways really. People are complimenting me for being a supreme cut of ladybeef for doing normal adult things while painting him as a helpless gibbering manlet being upheld by his all-powerful caretaker/girlfriend.

We're in the same field and payscale, with the same education level. We have literally the same job at the same type of company at the moment. Our careers could not have more equal value :psyduck:

Edit for red pill :confuoot: :

quote:

5. The world-view, attitudes and actions of STEMers are feminine.

Most men rightly look down upon men who act like prima donnas, cunts and bitches. While women can get away with such behaviors because they have a pussy, STEMers offer no compelling reason for the rest of humanity to give a poo poo about them.

PiratePing has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Aug 25, 2016

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Soviet Commubot posted:

My brother is like that. When he first met my Welsh husband, Jim, he asked if any of Jim's family still practiced the "old ways". He got really excited when Jim said yes, and a lot let down when he realized Jim thought he meant Catholicism.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ularg posted:

The worst part is even if you have a valid argument, There are a couple hundred to a couple thousand people that upvoted the OP ready to downvote you and bury your opinion in the dirt.

Upvote based comments with in-line replies are the worst format for actual discussion. They reinforce echo Chambers and fragment any possible discussion. See also the cess pool that is reddit and it's interface.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

bean_shadow posted:

Tame but the person who posted this posts nothing but how excited she is for Halloween. That or what a fan she is of horror movies. Anybody else have a similar person on their list?

I know someone who got married on Halloween and her thing is 'We're the Adamses!!!!'. They are hitting 10 years together.

She's already begun the mega rampage of Facebook photos. It'll be MONTHS of this poo poo. MONTHS.

I used to love Halloween you guys. USED TO.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't know, if your gonna have a Wedding on Halloween I can see way worse themes than Addams Family. Especially considering the entire point of those characters is that they are in 20-odd years of marriage, but the spark never died and they still love each other unconditionally. I can see way worse couples to want to be like (minus the weird fetishes that they display of course).

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't really care either way, I just hate that my feed is FULL of it for MONTHS.

Also, the Adamses and The Munsters are just The Cleavers dressed in black. The shows even had the same plot points, just all "spooky'ed out for the 'creepy' families. In the end the whole point is they were a normal goshdang family like everyone else.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PiratePing posted:

Ahaha, nobody tell them that the oh-so-logical field of programming/coding was initially completely dominated by women, they'd have an aneurysm. :allears:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Ahaha, nobody tell them that the oh-so-logical field of programming/coding was initially completely dominated by women, they'd have an aneurysm. :allears:

Also, make sure to avoid mentioning how the entire field would have started much later if Ada Lovelace had been more into knitting or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Halloween is the one yearly event I put genuine effort into. I don't even really bother with Christmas, but every Halloween I make sure I finish work early so I can watch bad horror films and drink ridiculous themed cocktails before we go out.

I don't even want to imagine the kind of mind that would see an excuse for a weekend of hot girls and beer and think "oh no, not again".