Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why the hate for LG? My wife has a g5 and loves it. It has been rock solid and fast since she got it, and the battery life is really great as well. The camera is fantastic as well. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Why the hate for LG? My wife has a g5 and loves it. It has been rock solid and fast since she got it, and the battery life is really great as well. The camera is fantastic as well. :shrug:

screaden posted:

So my LG G4 crashed and is forever stuck at the LG splash screen, which after a quick google search seems to be a known problem and that the only way to fix it is to take it in for repair. It's basically hosed right?

I also bought it overseas from http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/ and was Chinese (the charger they included just had a universal adaptor strapped to the side). Would that be covered under warranty in Australia? I bought it about 12 months ago

Happened to my wife's U.S. G4 too, and I guess was common enough that the T-Mobile store worker actually knew what about the issue. G3 had a bad display and overheating issues. LG G2 had some of the absolute worst skinned Android ever. LG is bad.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
gently caress this thread, I'm buying an iPhone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

How useful is the multi-window thingy in Nougat?

I've got a 6P, but haven't got the OTA yet and I don't care enough to spend a few minutes downloading and remembering how to do it myself.

You can opt-in to the beta, which will immediately send an update notification to your phone, then opt back out while it's installing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Happened to my wife's U.S. G4 too, and I guess was common enough that the T-Mobile store worker actually knew what about the issue. G3 had a bad display and overheating issues. LG G2 had some of the absolute worst skinned Android ever. LG is bad.

The g3 and below are ancient. The g4 was praised for the most part and the v10 is loved yes?

Also they aren't nearly as poo poo as Samsung in terms of bloatware and delays on updated I have found.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I've said it a time or two, but it works, and works well. I'm just not sure what to actually do with it. I had the notion of using it to have a calculator open when I had my bank app up, but my bank app doesn't support split screen (or multitasking at all, probably as a dubious security thing).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

The g3 and below are ancient. The g4 was praised for the most part and the v10 is loved yes?

Also they aren't nearly as poo poo as Samsung in terms of bloatware and delays on updated I have found.

You asked why LG doesn't get any love and I answered: they have a long track record of being bad. The G5 hasn't reviewed very well afaik either, the whole module gimmick seems pretty bad but I haven't paid more attention to what people don't like, except that pretty much universally the Galaxy S7 and HTC 10 are preferred. Samsung doesn't get love from lots of people in the thread either, so even if LG was slightly less lovely (I don't think they are) that isn't saying much.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I like my sony it is pretty powerful and i can drop it in water without caring about it. it's also not a samsung which is nice

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Holy gently caress, since when can malware ads in the Chrome browser turn on the vibrator?!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Holy gently caress, since when can malware ads in the Chrome browser turn on the vibrator?!
Apparently a while now, according to this reddit post I just found.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Happened to me earlier today. From a news article linked in Google News and Weather no less.

gg Google

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a 6P, but haven't got the OTA yet and I don't care enough to spend a few minutes downloading and remembering how to do it myself.
Haven't used it much. The double tap the windows button to quick switch seems far more useful.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, spoke to LG customer support in Aus today and they don't want anything to do with it because it's an Asian model and not covered here, their only suggestion was to send it to a repair centre in Sydney at my own expense. That's what I get for buying cheap I guess. Wish there was a worthwhile third option aside from Android and iOS

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's why I switched from Chrome to Firefox Mobile. uBlock Origin, browsing on mobile without it lately has been miserable as of late.

It formats some websites poorly unfortunately though. But it doesn't allows dickhead websites to hijack the phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mogomra posted:

The only correct post.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Good news everyone! This happens in the stock Samsung browser too.

So, please direct all complaints and blame towards Samsung and totally ignore the fact that Chrome is affected as well!

Thread, you're welcome for this gift! Sarnsung'd again, darnit!

Yeah, gently caress this thread. Just buy an iPhone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I did. It's just as bad.

All phones are terrible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Now that I'm in the house with an iPhone 6s I find we both look at the others' platforms longingly. Her biggest want from Android is the notification that allows you to dismiss alarms before they ring.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever used one of these USB-C Qi charge labels (or something similar) with a Nexus? I'm sure I'll be getting one regardless but I would like to hear some firsthand experiences, particularly with a Tylt Vu.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just use Firefox and uBlock Origin like a normal person

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

EKDS5k posted:

Oh good, everyone's already talking about mms.

I've got a Sony Xperia M4, just upgraded to 6.0.1, although I had this problem before I upgraded. I'm in Canada on Wind Mobile.

A few months ago I dropped my phone and broke the screen, and took it to a cheap repair shop (big mistake). He managed to basically break everything one piece at a time as he fixed the last fuckup. Long story short, he replaced the motherboard with one that was locked to another carrier, and then unlocked it.

I've copied the APN settings for data and mms from wind's website, but it makes me choose which one I'm on, and if I select data, then I can't send mms, and if I select mms, then I can't use data. I'm using textra (and I got the same result with chomp, and the stock messenger), and I've manually set the apn from the settings menu. But no matter the app settings, if I try to text a picture, it says sending for about an hour, then fails.

I've compared it to my wife's (identical, wind-provided) phone, and on her APN menu, data is always selected, and mms is present but no option to select it. On mine it seems I have to pick one, and I'd rather not have to go through a bunch of menus each time I want to send a picture.

Any ideas?

Quoting myself because I think this got forgotten in the bickering over whether Samsung is cool or not. Has anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it? Or is there a better thread to post this in?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

EKDS5k posted:

Quoting myself because I think this got forgotten in the bickering over whether Samsung is cool or not. Has anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it? Or is there a better thread to post this in?

I'd say cut your losses and get a new phone, a phone that messed up from repairs is only going to fail you again down the line.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EKDS5k posted:

Sorry, don't know how to fix it, but I'm curious how much you ended up paying for this.

Not being able to take Android phones to "the Google store" is one of the most glaring differences from the Apple experience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Sorry, don't know how to fix it, but I'm curious how much you ended up paying for this.

Not being able to take Android phones to "the Google store" is one of the most glaring differences from the Apple experience.

To be fair, Google support has been excellent to me every time I've needed them. They've always cross-shipped and I've had most device switchouts within 24 hours. It's just as inconvenient for me to drive across town and back to get to the Apple Store as it is for me to wait until the next morning for a new device.

Aren't carrier-sold devices swapped out at the carrier store? (I genuinely don't know, I've never bought a carrier device because I don't hate myself.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mogomra posted:

That's the thread recommendation quite often.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The new N thing I use the most is the double tap of the tasks button, one of those simple things you wonder why it hasn't always been there

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is Huawei gonna make a NotNexus 6P2? You'd think the reception to the 6P would've convinced them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Is Huawei gonna make a NotNexus 6P2? You'd think the reception to the 6P would've convinced them.

Isn't that just asking if there will be another Huawei phone? Because yes. Yes there will.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

It's not up to them to just make a Nexus phone though. This year's devices are both HTC, beyond that who knows.

Edit: Oh I guess I didn't understand the question. Actually I still don't understand the question.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A next-gen replacement of the 6P without the Nexus branding but the same design and features and style and whatnot. Continue the line.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

A next-gen replacement of the 6P without the Nexus branding but the same design and features and style and whatnot. Continue the line.

The line existed before it was a Nexus and will continue after it is no longer a Nexus. It is the P line and the Nexus was the P9. One would assume the next one will be the P10.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

LastInLine posted:

The line existed before it was a Nexus and will continue after it is no longer a Nexus. It is the P line and the Nexus was the P9. One would assume the next one will be the P10.

No it's not? The P9 is a completely different phone?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
While we are circlejerking about crappy manufacturers, HTC has, unsurprisingly, broken their promise to update the One A9 to Nougat within 15 days of Nexus devices getting the update.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

While we are circlejerking about crappy manufacturers, HTC has, unsurprisingly, broken their promise to update the One A9 to Nougat within 15 days of Nexus devices getting the update.

And this is why we can't collectively get longer support by "voting with our wallets". By the time the issue would be relevant, they already have our money.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Why does my 6P have three vibrate icons and three alarm icons? If I turn off vibrate, one of them goes away, same with alarm.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FistLips posted:

No it's not? The P9 is a completely different phone?

Damnit, looking into it you're right. I know I read about a de-Nexused Huawei at some point but now I can't find any trace of it and the P9 Plus (which is what I thought the 6P was based on) turns out to have a completely different SoC, screen, and camera. Maybe the 6P was designed from the ground up by Google but that seems really unlikely. I absolutely know I remember reading in early reviews how the fingerprint sensor under the skin is square just like the Huawei version that the phone was based on. Am I going crazy?

Everyone mentions how lovely Huawei's software is, I'd think one would want to avoid using it in any case.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Damnit, looking into it you're right. I know I read about a de-Nexused Huawei at some point but now I can't find any trace of it and the P9 Plus (which is what I thought the 6P was based on) turns out to have a completely different SoC, screen, and camera. Maybe the 6P was designed from the ground up by Google but that seems really unlikely. I absolutely know I remember reading in early reviews how the fingerprint sensor under the skin is square just like the Huawei version that the phone was based on. Am I going crazy?

Everyone mentions how lovely Huawei's software is, I'd think one would want to avoid using it in any case.

You probably thinking of the Huawei Mate series which are Huawei's big phone line. But square fingerprints is Huawei's sort of own thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I absolutely know I remember reading in early reviews how the fingerprint sensor under the skin is square just like the Huawei version that the phone was based on. Am I going crazy?
The only place I ever saw the fingerprint shape mentioned was in the iFixit tear down and they didn't list another phone it was used in, just an idea that they might do.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

butt dickus posted:

Why does my 6P have three vibrate icons and three alarm icons? If I turn off vibrate, one of them goes away, same with alarm.
Had the same issue after getting on the beta on my N6. Just reboot.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Thermopyle posted:

Seems to work:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Rusty! posted:

Seems to work

I used to copy multiple items from a website into a list, and it worked fine - switching back and forth, or copying everything and editing it down would have gotten old very quickly.

Also cool: Night mode, if you like f.lux and didn't like the various apps, it's integrated into Nougat, for now at least: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/24/night-mode-enabler-simple-app-brings-back-night-mode-tile-android-nougat/