Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I knew that the ending was bad but my god. I hadn't seen it until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Super 8 is notable for the point where it became apparent that Elle Fanning was a better actress than Dakota Fanning. I've just watched the first episode of Stranger Things, and it reminds me of James Rolfe's videos where he's talking about something nostaglic - that sweet and honest sentimentality and earnestness. What's wierd is that Doug rarely seems to pull that off, and talking about nostalgia is literally his own thing.
It wasn't his own thing. It was never his own thing. He mainly reviewed movies old enough that the majority of people who watched those films were children. Why do you think he hardly covers the cult classics? Those would require him to do a bit more research and understanding of cinematic language than dollar star Rifftrax and stream of consciousness editorials.

It's also another reason why he doesn't do top fuckups, that would mean admitting to a poo poo ton of dirt that he and his fans happily ignore.
EDIT: Anyone still defending NMS? I really would like to see a counter argument other than "you see they were forced to rush this title and were pressured into marketing their little game with false advertisement by the AAA publishing and hype machine."

Seriously that ending, a slap in the face, some people got really pissed off that the hard sci fi and themes in Interstellar became Space Love Time Magic tm, now imagine instead of an ending, the movie just does a zoom out of the galaxy and just ends. You don't get resolution or closure, you don't get a handcrafted planet made with care, or new tech or autotranslate alien language or noneuclidian tier environments, just a zoom out cutscene.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 22, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

doug_walker.jpg

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

I wonder why so much stuff was cut. Was it really a case of being pressured to release?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

rudecyrus posted:

I wonder why so much stuff was cut. Was it really a case of being pressured to release?

There's really no way to know. The cynical thing is that we got Peter Molyneux'd and straight up lied to, this is supported by the fact that they were saying really cagey things hinting at stuff like this weird pseudo-multiplayer system weeks before the original release date. Other things it seems like they should have the technology for (e.g. ships landing in odd places on the planets and not just at stations, or large brontosaurus-like animals, as showed in trailers), others were probably just too ambitious from the start like factions warring over territory or having no static NPCs at all just procedural characters. Others were likely balancing problems like the ship variety; there would literally be no reason to buy anything other than a hauler with a massive inventory, so why bother having different classes of ships?

The biggest issue here is that Hello Games, and Sean Murray in specific, has always been extremely vague and dodges tons of questions. We literally cannot say what got cut and why, what was never attempted, or if he's just flat out lying to hype his game (or what mixture of all of that it is, I expect that even if he was lying, some of the stuff we saw really was intended to exist).

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The fact that we have gone dangerously close to prophetic with "Are there Bad Good movies" scares me on a level I didn't know I could feel. Though since he hasn't made another editorial in a while maybe he learned to stop slightly less inane content.

Todd made another music review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZmwkeB-I8

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

So again I have to ask this question, and by all means former CA people if you can fill me in: Why does Joe censor his videos? More to the point: Why does he still fail and let a few "fucks" get through? Is it a rating thing, like how PG 13 movies can get one f bomb?

Annointed posted:

The fact that we have gone dangerously close to prophetic with "Are there Bad Good movies" scares me on a level I didn't know I could feel. Though since he hasn't made another editorial in a while maybe he learned to stop slightly less inane content.

Todd made another music review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZmwkeB-I8

Oh man, when Todd brought up that song by Calvin Harris, imagine being a merchandiser who had to check on about 15-20 displays a month and had to test out 4-6 headphones per display ensuring that not only they worked, but that the song properly looped so I had to listen through the demo entirely multiple times. That song, Safe and Sound from Capital Cities and for whatever reason Catch My Breath by Kelly Clarkson. Those songs are in my head permanently :shepface:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Jsor posted:

There's really no way to know. The cynical thing is that we got Peter Molyneux'd and straight up lied to, this is supported by the fact that they were saying really cagey things hinting at stuff like this weird pseudo-multiplayer system weeks before the original release date. Other things it seems like they should have the technology for (e.g. ships landing in odd places on the planets and not just at stations, or large brontosaurus-like animals, as showed in trailers), others were probably just too ambitious from the start like factions warring over territory or having no static NPCs at all just procedural characters. Others were likely balancing problems like the ship variety; there would literally be no reason to buy anything other than a hauler with a massive inventory, so why bother having different classes of ships?

The biggest issue here is that Hello Games, and Sean Murray in specific, has always been extremely vague and dodges tons of questions. We literally cannot say what got cut and why, what was never attempted, or if he's just flat out lying to hype his game (or what mixture of all of that it is, I expect that even if he was lying, some of the stuff we saw really was intended to exist).

So are there any sort of threats out in space? Nothing that you need to shoot, other than asteroids?

I want to give Hello Games the benefit of the doubt here, considering how vague the promotional material for NMS is, and how bare the experience apparently is?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Spark That Bled posted:

So are there any sort of threats out in space? Nothing that you need to shoot, other than asteroids?

I want to give Hello Games the benefit of the doubt here, considering how vague the promotional material for NMS is, and how bare the experience apparently is?

There are pirates that scan your ship and attack you, and space combat isn't really great. Some people flat out alt+f4 if they have to do space combat which is a massive overreaction from my point of view, it's not that awful IMO, but it pretty much amounts to "jousting". It is not a flight sim of any reasonable description, and you basically win if you have sufficiently upgraded shields and weapons, and/or have enough materials on hand to recharge your shields in combat (which takes going through like 3 menus which don't pause the game). It's made worse by the fact that you're usually attacked by 3-4 or more units at once (I've seen 18 in one rare instance involving warping into a group of freighters), and can't run away. Even if you can win mopping them all up is really tedious.

The main problem at play here is that "ship upgrades" are strict numerical upgrades to shields or weapon damage, and take up inventory slots. There's no hint of any system where ships handle, shoot, or absorb damage any differently from each other. The only thing different (other than inventory size) is gun placement, which is known about mostly because the generator has made a handful of ships that shoot themselves because of bad gun placement.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 22, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I really liked Calvin Harris' first album.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I wish he'd reviewed Me Too. That song has absolutely zero redeeming qualities and I'm almost sure it'll be his number one worst song of the year.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh my god, I just google'd me too and my ears are dying. What's with that garbage beat during the chorus?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

Why does Joe censor his videos? More to the point: Why does he still fail and let a few "fucks" get through?

I kinda wanna say it might be comedy censoring? Cause again yeah after a time or two he seems to just quit bleeping.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Kim Justice has another excellent documentary up, this time on Psygnosis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvYlxnHOY-Q

I'm always impressed by the sheer amount of research that Kim puts into these videos. And to think she releases one just about every week. How does the bastard keep it up?

The game I associate most with Psygnosis, other than Lemmings of course, is Ecstatica. Did you ever play that Kim?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Brad's at 97% funded for Jesus, Bro. Final push. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jesus-bro-movie/

He added a new $75 reward tier with extra DVDs. I upgraded from $30 to that. I'd upgrade further if there was a slightly higher tier that included all the Stoned Gremlin DVDs.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

lornekates posted:

Brad's at 97% funded for Jesus, Bro. Final push. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jesus-bro-movie/

He added a new $75 reward tier with extra DVDs. I upgraded from $30 to that. I'd upgrade further if there was a slightly higher tier that included all the Stoned Gremlin DVDs.

Interesting, did not add his convention exclusive DVD on the rewards list.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyi5FFUmE0w

I probably shouldn't say someone has a punchable face but my god.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Tracula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyi5FFUmE0w

I probably shouldn't say someone has a punchable face but my god.

The camera in this is really bugging me.

Like, that's a constructed set, right? Someone built that, you can see that it has a top, it's just a standing wall in a bigger room. poo poo, later in the review they actually show the bottom of it, and it's totally free-standing.

So why is the camera lens so wide an angle that you've got pincushion distortion? Is there actually a wall right behind the camera? You're in a giant room, just move the wall back.

Why is the camera so low that it's looking up his nose?

How the gently caress do you get a giant drat studio space while still not knowing how to frame a basic shot?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jesus Bro has hit it's goal! :toot:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mokinokaro posted:

I wish he'd reviewed Me Too. That song has absolutely zero redeeming qualities and I'm almost sure it'll be his number one worst song of the year.

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh my god, I just google'd me too and my ears are dying. What's with that garbage beat during the chorus?

Yeah, it's some hot garbage. I honestly don't mind to the tune or production all the much, but the lyrics drive me up the loving wall.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jason Derulo was one of the co-writers of Me Too, that tells you everything you need to know about it.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Another day, another book review, this time on Ryu Murakami's "Coin Locker Babies", a disturbing piece of weirdness from the guy who wrote "Audition."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cubey posted:

Jason Derulo was one of the co-writers of Me Too, that tells you everything you need to know about it.

Well, that's completely unsurprising. Also, a quick Wikipedia wormhole reveals that Jason Derulo's birth name is actually Desrouleaux, which is the biggest waste of a awesome birth name in favor of a lame stage name since Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta and Aliaune Damala Bouga Time Bongo Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu Badara Akon Thiam.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, it's some hot garbage. I honestly don't mind to the tune or production all the much, but the lyrics drive me up the loving wall.

The tune's okay outside of that chorus beat. And she sounds like she's trying to put on a bad French or Russian accent that's just grating.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ninjahedgehog posted:

Well, that's completely unsurprising. Also, a quick Wikipedia wormhole reveals that Jason Derulo's birth name is actually Desrouleaux, which is the biggest waste of a awesome birth name in favor of a lame stage name since Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta and Aliaune Damala Bouga Time Bongo Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu Badara Akon Thiam.

Desrouleaux is proncounced exactly the same as Derulo.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

LFK posted:

How the gently caress do you get a giant drat studio space while still not knowing how to frame a basic shot?

Just discovering Channel Awesome, are we?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Or you could pull a Nicki Minaj and chose a name that sounds less like a rapper name than your birth name.

Mokinokaro posted:

The tune's okay outside of that chorus beat. And she sounds like she's trying to put on a bad French or Russian accent that's just grating.

Also that same basic song concept has been done to death at this point.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 24, 2016

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

ninjahedgehog posted:

Wow, that song's aggressively shithouse.
I think Todd had a clip of it in his most recent review though, as an example of songs he didn't want to talk about.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

LFK posted:

The camera in this is really bugging me.

It's the sound quality that's really bugging the hell out of me for some reason. It's echo-y and distorted and I hate it.

edit - I just got to the Rhinestone/Citizen Kane joke. :smugjones:

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 24, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I've been watching a bit of Jim Sterling, and I think he's like Angry Joe in the fact that I like him more when he's talking as himself, rather than hamming it up for the camera.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

I've been watching a bit of Jim Sterling, and I think he's like Angry Joe in the fact that I like him more when he's talking as himself, rather than hamming it up for the camera.

The horrible smug hamminess has grown on me, mostly because he's having so much fun doing it. Probably be a lot less tolerable if he weren't pretty great otherwise, admittedly.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
he made my fave top 10 list so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWpKNfExRi4

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I've found Sterling's schtick more charming the more I watch of him.
Also "The Beatles of people" never fails to make me laugh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like Jim's thing more than Joe's because Jim's persona is an absurd clown man and Joe's is a yelly video game man and one of those is obviously a joke that can be enjoyed and one is just a thing that the internet is full of.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jim's cocky hypersexual supervillain persona is really fun and hilarious

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 25, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Augus posted:

Jim's cocky hypersexual supervillain persona is really fun and hilarious

It's fantastic when he refers to himself as having magnificent tits.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wait thats an act he's putting on? Thats not who Jim actually is?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Either way, thank God for him.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If not for Jim Sterling, I would have never remembered how worthless of a fad POGs were.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Jim is a good guy. A few years ago he used to genuinely use the term femanazi and poo poo like that. He's really grown as a person and gotten significantly more tolerant and accepting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-plinketto-2/

Aaah gently caress you. Denise Crosby is really good on Ray Donovan these days.

• Locked thread