Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Padje posted:

I thought I'd read they were bringing it to BBC1?

I may have just imagined it while reading it.

To the best of my knowledge, it's one of those things that gets talked about a lot (everyone wants Paul McGann to play Nightingale up to and including Aaronovitch from what I can see) but hasn't ever been properly confirmed either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Bake off tonight.

Also the documentary on BBC2 @ 9PM about air traffic control was pretty good last week. Skies Above Britain - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pmwyy

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Bake off is followed by a prog hosted by last year's winner Nadiya Hussain called "The Chronicals of Nadiya" which is an insanely bad title.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The Nadiya thing was pretty good.

Bake Off: The guy who lost, who on earth is my brain telling me he looked like, some actor.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Her extended family seemed to be less than impressed by her cake.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

UK goons, are Jaffa Cakes not biscuits and do you not dunk them?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Correct on both

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Wrong on both

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

They are cakes, you can tell cos they're cakey.

With regards to dunking, you can dunk anything, but most people wouldn't.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Slash posted:

They are cakes, you can tell cos they're cakey.
And have also been legally ruled to be cakes in a VAT tribunal

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I hope the ginger kid hosed up his some other way than doing them wrong way up. I mean, sure that's a huge goof, but I'd still say that's harsh if so.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

What's wrong with you

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Squishy posted:

I hope the ginger kid hosed up his some other way than doing them wrong way up. I mean, sure that's a huge goof, but I'd still say that's harsh if so.

He was the year above me in school.

That's my connection with Great British Baking greatness.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Swing and a miss

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Jaffa cakes are legally cakes, but everyone I know calls them biscuits because that's the function they serve. Dunking of jaffa cakes is a complicated and serious issue that shouldn't be discussed on a comedy forum.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Surely a Jaffa Cake is already too soft to dunk. I can't imagine dunking for any length of time making the sponge any more pleasant

Hey who remembers those Jaffa Cakes mascots in the 90s who would steal the orange bits? I miss those.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the test was that biscuits go soft when they go stale but cakes go hard when they go stale.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought the test was that biscuits go soft when they go stale but cakes go hard when they go stale.

It is, which is how McVities won the case against HMRC (or Customs & Excise, as it was back then). I believe they also baked a massive one for evidence.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Why did half of them not seem to know what jaffa cakes look like? Absolutely bizarre.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Mr. Squishy posted:

Bake off is followed by a prog hosted by last year's winner Nadiya Hussain called "The Chronicals of Nadiya" which is an insanely bad title.

This is an amazing title.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Escobarbarian posted:

Surely a Jaffa Cake is already too soft to dunk. I can't imagine dunking for any length of time making the sponge any more pleasant

Hey who remembers those Jaffa Cakes mascots in the 90s who would steal the orange bits? I miss those.

Yea, I wouldn't dunk it because cake and tea don't go together in that way.
I didn't like Mary making it into a north versus south issue, it felt classist. gently caress you Mary Berry.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Dunking a Jaffa cake would make as much sense as tipping your teacup over a slice of Victoria sponge

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dunk everything. Biscuits, bread, cake, apples, carrots, chips, sausages, smaller cups of tea...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Do people still watch RIpper Street? New season just started.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mr. Squishy posted:

Do people still watch RIpper Street? New season just started.

Already watched it on Amazon.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Semprini posted:

It is, which is how McVities won the case against HMRC (or Customs & Excise, as it was back then). I believe they also baked a massive one for evidence.

The bastards don't care if you get hooked though

https://youtu.be/Ml_L3cuTfPA

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

They're biscuits, don't believe the silly definitions provided by tax dodging biscuiteurs. And you can absolutely dunk them you quivering philistines.

:colbert:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is the weirdest GoT reaction page I've ever seen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You CAN dunk them it's just that it doesn't accomplish anything but creating a soft horrible mess

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Any discussion on dunking is worthless unless it's about dunking a sausage in a cup of beans man

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was really worried this thread would be unbearable while GBBO was on but this whole dunking debacle is great so far

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Chips in a polystyrene cup of gravy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Squalitude posted:

Any discussion on dunking is worthless unless it's about dunking a sausage in a cup of beans man

Make sure you bring the mug back, It's our only one.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
no no no you bite the excess sponge off from round the edges, peel off and eat the chocolate, peel off the jaffa bit, eat the rest of the sponge and then eat the jaffa bit.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Home bargains sell massive packs of jaffa cake misshapes for a quid. I have to stop myself going in there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nettle Soup posted:

Home bargains sell massive packs of jaffa cake misshapes for a quid. I have to stop myself going in there.

I remember down at Tragos they used to get these rip off Jaffa Cakes half of which were hosed in the manufactory process and they came in a huge box. Good times.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

no no no you bite the excess sponge off from round the edges, peel off and eat the chocolate, peel off the jaffa bit, eat the rest of the sponge and then eat the jaffa bit.

What kind of wizard is able to peel off all the chocolate from the top in one go?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

SeanBeansShako posted:

Make sure you bring the mug back, It's our only one.

There's a spoon in the bathroom but I've nee call to use it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Only dunk a jaffa in hot chocolate. Length of dunk is imperative, too short and the sponge won't absorb anything, too long and you're left with just the orangey bit.

Rondette posted:

The correct way to eat a jaffa.

Escobarbarian posted:

What kind of wizard is able to peel off all the chocolate from the top in one go?
It's not at all possible with a mcvitties but supermarket own brands have much firmer chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mr Phillby posted:

Only dunk a jaffa in hot chocolate. Length of dunk is imperative, too short and the sponge won't absorb anything, too long and you're left with just the orangey bit.
The correct way to eat a jaffa.
It's not at all possible with a mcvitties but supermarket own brands have much firmer chocolate.
this is some advanced jaffa cake knowing. did you feel distressed when on Bake Off they couldn't even remember what they're meant to look like?