Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kashuno posted:

so much tech these days is like "Here is this new product, it's available tomorrow morning go hog wild" maybe nintendo is the first game company to do that

worked out great for sega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kashuno posted:

so much tech these days is like "Here is this new product, it's available tomorrow morning go hog wild" maybe nintendo is the first game company to do that

but only available at kb toys, right?

lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

worked out great for sega

Things always work out exactly the same 20 years later when done by non-retarded companies.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Things always work out exactly the same 20 years later when done by non-retarded companies.

Good point. Maybe lay off the ableist slurs, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TheScott2K posted:

Only a third Ken Griffey Jr game can save them now.

Ken Griffey Jr's Hall of Fame Baseball

I've wanted a new Baseball Simulator 1.000 since the SNES days.

Get MLB licensing, rename it Alex Rodriguez Enhanced Baseball, done.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
6 months of marketing sound good if it's not some obvious mistake like the Wii "no, it's not just a controller for the wii, even though you can barely even see the console itself" U.
All they need is to announce it and market it as "NX! The new handheld console form Nintendo! You can also connect it to your tv to unlock MORE POWER!" Even if people assume it means plugging an HDMI to it they can't gently caress it up if the dock thing comes in the box.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also if it actually launches in March that's really sort of like a soft launch, they'll be relying on software build up and word of mouth to make a big splash in holiday 2017. The target audience for a march launch is the tuned in.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Could the NX actually be a codename for the long awaited return of the Nintendo Cereal System?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Could the NX actually be a codename for the long awaited return of the Nintendo Cereal System?

Stop getting my hopes up!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Also if it actually launches in March that's really sort of like a soft launch, they'll be relying on software build up and word of mouth to make a big splash in holiday 2017. The target audience for a march launch is the tuned in.

March is the lead up to golden week in japan. Its a huge deal there to buy poo poo in golden week. Japan will make or break a handheld

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If the new Dragon Quest launches on the same day as the NX they should be golden.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

My god. TWO kinds of cereal! It makes sense now!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Wamdoodle posted:

My god. TWO kinds of cereal! It makes sense now!

Just as with VR, Nintendo first realized the potential of this technology decades before it could be brought to complete fruition.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey why does the piece of poo poo wii u have a power button on the front if pressing it wont the thing off when this garbage tablet controller can't connect for no reason

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kashuno posted:

Sega did this in the 90s

It did not go well

e: beaten like the Saturn

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I don't remember this myself, but you did just remind me that Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo-Berry should be back in stores soon.

My favourite was actually the relaunch of Frute Brute because it tasted like cherries, but apparently I was the only one who gave a poo poo and they've already discontinued it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

No more Frute Brute? What the living gently caress. I can't go back to a world without werewolf themed cereal.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No more Frute Brute? What the living gently caress. I can't go back to a world without werewolf themed cereal.

No more Yummy Mummy either; apparently anything but the Big Three there don't sell.

Also, it is Fruit Brute and I can't spell.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

All the while, the NX may be a handheld system using Tegra with detachable controls. Maybe. And that's a whole system that every big third-party studio is aware of and in all likelihood producing some work for. I'm just saying it's ridiculous amazing how well kept a secret the device has been. You can't do this sort of thing if you aren't running a really tight ship around the whole operation, so kudos to Nintendo for that at least. They really want to surprise people when the time comes.

check your mailbox you may have an nx with your name on it right now!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Sega did this in the 90s

It did not go well

Didn't it crash and burn when Sega did it because "surprise, it's out RIGHT NOW" was also sprung on people like "retailers" and "game developers" who really should not have this poo poo sprung on them?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Sega doing the surprise Saturn release at E3 1995 was bad mostly because it was E3 1995, not E3 2015 in the age of streaming videos and up-to-the-minute game news. They also failed to inform a lot of developers and retailers that it was going to be released earlier than the September '95 launch date.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

What is the point of jumping ship from the Wii U if the NX will still fail to reach at least parity with the competition? It's just going to lead to the same problem where third parties don't bother with it because they're not going to bother releasing games because it's not worth the time making special ports. I could see if they were trying repeat the Wii's success with an aggressively priced system coupled with stuff like Pokemon would make it fly off the shelves during Christmas. But if it's going to be a hybrid console/handheld/tablet/etc. then there goes that.

It's like the lesson they learned from the Wii U is that it wasn't gimmicky enough. I know Nintendo is loathe to lose money on hardware sales, but c'mon.

The NX isn't the Wii U's successor. The NX is the 3DS' successor, a reasonably successful system that sold 60 million units. The Wii U has no successor. This is the end of the console line.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Super No Vacancy posted:

hey why does the piece of poo poo wii u have a power button on the front if pressing it wont the thing off when this garbage tablet controller can't connect for no reason

Did you try holding the power button for five seconds? That does the trick almost always.

The one time the Wii U just totally locked for me and I had to unplug it was very scary (the end credits of Rodea the Sky Soldier just decided to freeze my console up, which kind of lowered my opinion of that game retroactively), but it worked just fine after I plugged it back in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah i held it for like 40 seconds i had to unplug it

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Real hurthling! posted:

March is the lead up to golden week in japan. Its a huge deal there to buy poo poo in golden week. Japan will make or break a handheld

March is also when I do my taxes so what will I do with this extra money??

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I can't wait to finally throw my piece of poo poo 3DS in the garbage.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

greatn posted:

I for one can't wait to be part of the NX Ambassador Programme.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Great Joe posted:

I can't wait to finally throw my piece of poo poo 3DS in the garbage.
It's ok, on the day the NX releases, all 3DS and WiiU consoles in the world will simply...cease to exist.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

irlZaphod posted:

It's ok, on the day the NX releases, all 3DS and WiiU consoles in the world will simply...cease to exist.

Ah, the Denis Dyack maneuver.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

I for one can't wait to be part of the NX Ambassador Programme.

If that means getting GameCube games no one else ever gets then hell yeah

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

The 3DS could have been done better in so many ways

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Sega did this in the 90s

It did not go well

Sega's biggest problems were
A: they did it in a pre-internet era where gaming news could take weeks/months to reach the general public.
and B: Their announcement came as a surprise to the developers as well, so aside from NiGHTS and whatever else Sega put at launch, the Saturn had almost no games for a while.

Nintendo has at least shared info with developers and had stressed a few times this year that they want the NX to have a decent amount of games in the launch window.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Wii U suffered from a launch drought too, which is why Nintendo is being very clear with the "no really, we'll have games for it this time, we promise" thing.

The cause here was different, though. Sega sprung the Saturn on people, Nintendo rushed the Wii U out the door to get a jump on the competition that they immediately squandered due to the lack of software.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

September's almost here. I'm going to bet that we get the announcement for the showcase date on the 31st, NeXt Wednesday.

And now I will immediately double down on that bet.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

With the caveat that this is all probably bullshit because the original source is a 4chan rumor, apparently the NX's real name is the "Nintendo Focus," and it will be announced on September 21. I got it from a video which YouTube decided to recommend to me on the basis of "I clicked on a video about Nintendo once at some point."

If you find the video's, uh, enthusiasm to be offputting, then here's what he said, which I will reiterate is probably bullshit, but gently caress it, it's not like we have any real news to go on anyway.

• The Nintendo NX will be the Nintendo Focus.
  • It will be revealed on September 21, 2016.
  • It will launch March 10, 2017.
  • Launch titles include Breath of the Wild, Smash Brothers Focus (Wii U/3DS version with all DLC, plus Shovel Knight as DLC), Super Smash Brothers Melee HD, Pokemon Gold/Silver on VC, F-Zero 2.
  • Launch window: Super Mario Brothers Focus, Animal Crossing: Election Year, Pikmen 4, Pokemon Sun/Moon (ported from 3DS but "taking advantage of Focus features"), and a new IP called "Pileow" from Goodfeel.

Most of that is just "could be real, could be fake," but the "Melee HD" is what makes me push it into bullshit territory. Which is where it started because it came from 4chan, but still. I suspect that Nintendo will announce it during the Tokyo Game Show, which runs from the 15th to the 18th. The 21st would put it a few days after it all ends, and I don't think they'd do that.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
lol@shovel knight and melee hd

and F-Zero 2

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Raserys posted:

lol@shovel knight and melee hd

and F-Zero 2

F-Zero 2 is the one that makes it read like an energy-production startup ad that talks about using magnets.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should name the true sequel to F Zero F One

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

greatn posted:

They should name the true sequel to F Zero F One

Should've made a terrible version for the Wii U and named it F-U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if i buy a focus do i get a dell?

• Locked thread