Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, I'd take Wilson here.

Well, is there any reason you can't do something like try to calculate the average auction price for players in a given round, then set the kept players' prices to that, without any additional penalty or discount? If the league format wasn't changing, David Johnson would be a 16th rounder. What is the rationale for making him cost more in auction bucks than he'd cost in snake draft picks? This still doesn't solve the problem of using redraft prices, but at least it abstracts it much more: rather than assuming Adrian Peterson, for example, is worth 1/4 of your budget, you're assuming any dynasty 1st rounder would be worth about that (or whatever the average ends up being). Is there something that this procedure would fail to do that you're trying to make happen?

It's not really so much about making him worth more in auction bucks, but trying to find a way to equate his round value to auction value. You're making some salient points that are helping though and I do appreciate it

I'm out and phone posting now, but I did a little math before and it kinda seemed to work out. If you actually care from a curiosity standpoint, I'd be happy to post my findings later.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I just read a Rotoviz article that said that Quinton Patton is a draftable commodity can the season please get here

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Like Jesus Christ how can you write an article in good faith that the fifth or sixth passing option in San Francisco is worth it in even the deepest of leagues.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I just want to say as someone who has spent the last 3 years audibly and aggressively addressing the societal and conscientious demarcation between football fandom and fantasy football enjoyment; I love your railing on the the FFB writers industry and I want to do a podcast with you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I will be shocked if Quinton Patton averages more than 1.5 catches per game through this season. That's ridiculous.

The only reason he even has a job in SF - and making the final 52 is probably not guaranteed - is because the team is loving desperate for wideouts. You know what else is ridiculous? They let Anquan Boldin sit on waivers for most of the offseason and then didn't draft a early-round wideout and then didn't hire him after that, and they have like fifty million bucks' cap space. It's like the team just doesn't want to have good wideouts.

Crabtree was their #1 wideout when they made a superbowl run, so it's not like they've had a super-great wideout in forever, but gently caress, at least he was good. And Boldin was good. And hey remember back when Vernon Davis was like the second or third TE in the league, before he had some injury and then came back and was suddenly and inexplicably incapable of not dropping a pass?

God it's so frustrating because the team finally has some semblance of an offensive line, and the defense has been looking not awful in the preseason, so it's like - hey, you have two struggling QBs this year, why not make their jobs just a little bit more possible by hiring a loving wide receiver worth starting?

But no, we have barely-draftable Torrey Smith (who is only draftable becuase he's a WR1, not because he's like... good...) and then there's sort of benchable flier Bruce Ellington if you're feeling lucky.

And then.... Jerome Simpson? Quinton Patton? Permanently injured DeAndre Smelter? And then a handful of camp bodies like Ryan Whalen, who Rotoworld is so apathetic towards that their latest update for him has him being signed by the Vikings... August 1st 2015. This is a veteran player in the league since at least 2011 who has started all of 17 games, the last one in 2013. Longshot 6th round draft pick Aaron Burbridge, who showed poorly at the combine, and is only maybe going to make the team because men like Quinton Patton and DeAndre Smelter are the ones ahead of him on the depth chart. UDFA Devon Cajuste is optimistically given a shot at making the team, but it's the same deal, this guy is only even a consideration because Jerome loving Simpson is a WR3/4 on the San Francisco Football Forty-Niners. Finally apparently there is a man named DeAndre Campbell, who Rotoworld tells me went to Washington and was born in 1991, and that's the extent of their knowledge of this man.

So yeah, Quinton Patton, #3 receiver on a professional football team, a man who has a grand total of 36 receptions through three years and 26 games. You should stash this marvel on your deep deep deep league bench, because this coming November, California voters will have an opportunity to fully legalize marijuana, which they probably will, and then you can go get toked as hell and then sit around and giggle at the TV when Quinton Patton lines up at the line of scrimmage and some poor schmuck on the defense will be assigned to defend him and will know in that moment that his defensive coordinator doesn't think he's good enough to cover Jerome Simpson or Bruce Ellington. And then for the punchline you can tell your fellow high-as-a-kite football watching buddies "hey, hey, hey... hey guys, guess what. Shut up, hey: see that useless man who is pretending to be a receiver? I've got him on my fantasy football team! Ahahahahahaha."

Spoeank posted:

Like Jesus Christ how can you write an article in good faith that the fifth or sixth passing option in San Francisco is worth it in even the deepest of leagues.

It has to be a practical joke. It just has to be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also I am an SF homer who is angry about the hiring practices of the general manager and the worthless shitbag of an owner of my football team. The continued employment of Quinton Patton as a 49er is incontrovertable evidence that Trent Baalke doesn't deserve a job in the NFL.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Rotoviz is the best. They will find reasons to hype literally anyone in the NFL.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Fantasy Pros has David Johnson at #5 and Ezekiel Elliott at #9 in their overall picks list

:psyduck:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

kiimo posted:

Get Keuchley. Avoid Watt. Don't reach.

edit: also don't pay Fantasy Football Calculator money.

This site is for simpletons!

2 PPR :psyduck:

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Standard scoring in ESPN. Guy in my league really wants Alshon Jefferyy. Here is my team:

QB Blake Bortles
RB DeMarco Murray
RB Jeremy Langford
WR Julio Jones
WR Alshon Jeffery
WR Keenan Allen
TE Gary Barnidge
FLEX Marvin Jones
D/ST Chiefs D/ST
K Justin Tucker
Bench Derrick Henry
Bench James Starks
Bench Phillip Dorsett
Bench Jordan Howard
Bench Chris Thompson

He has Adrian Peterson and Doug Martin. He initially offered Doug Martin for Alshon Jeffery. I'm thinking of aiming bigger and offering him DeMarco Murray, Derrick Henry, and Alshon Jeffery for AP and Kevin White/Martavis Bryant. His other WR are Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson.

Am I overpaying for AP here or should I take his Doug Martin offer?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Keith Atherton posted:

Fantasy Pros has David Johnson at #5 and Ezekiel Elliott at #9 in their overall picks list

What's psyduck about that? Give or take a few spots that's pretty much where they're ranked basically everywhere...

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Keith Atherton posted:

I'm fine with this considering ole Zeke you know hasn't played a real down in the NFL yet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vols bitch posted:

I'm fine with this considering ole Zeke you know hasn't played a real down in the NFL yet.

That's why you shouldn't draft him at #9 overall

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Sataere posted:

One ppr, you need to take some share of Jeffrey / Allen / Thomas and not look back. Freeman is viable, but the other picks at WR seem safer.

Well that ended up being 2 votes for a WR and 1 vote for Freeman. I just knew RB were going to go all in the 1st (technically 3rd round since it's a 2-keeper league) so I drafted Freeman. Also I am a Fantasy Idiot ™

Here's my squad

QB: Brees, Tannehill
RB: Freeman, Duke Johnson, Derrick Henry
WR: AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Kelvin Benjamin, DeVante Parker, Corey Coleman
TE: Tyler Eifert, Charles Clay

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Any thoughts on Jamaal Charles? RB3 according to my beer sheet, rb7 according to fantasy football calculator adp. Positive reports of him getting a ton of work this pre season, was great before the injury last year, but has two competent backs behind him who both looked great at times last year.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think you summarized the thoughts, ZIGfried

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ZIGfried posted:

Any thoughts on Jamaal Charles? RB3 according to my beer sheet, rb7 according to fantasy football calculator adp. Positive reports of him getting a ton of work this pre season, was great before the injury last year, but has two competent backs behind him who both looked great at times last year.

He's godly. RB7 is too low, I'm taking him before David Johnson and Zeke easily, and I'd probably just about prefer him to AP in PPR. Gurley, Charles, AP, and Miller my top 4, in some order (maybe that order).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm big on Charles this year as well. Barring an injury I think he will do great, as usual.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

He's godly. RB7 is too low, I'm taking him before David Johnson and Zeke easily, and I'd probably just about prefer him to AP in PPR. Gurley, Charles, AP, and Miller my top 4, in some order (maybe that order).

Excepting 2015 draft value, why did Gurley do enough to get to #1 but DJ is outside your top 5?

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I just want to say as someone who has spent the last 3 years audibly and aggressively addressing the societal and conscientious demarcation between football fandom and fantasy football enjoyment; I love your railing on the the FFB writers industry and I want to do a podcast with you

I'd love to but I'm part of the problem. I can't go burning bridges while trying to actually get paid to tell people Aaron Rodgers is a good quarterback

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

That's why you shouldn't draft him at #9 overall

I remember drafting Trent Richardson with my 9th pick in his rookie season.

Not only is it a waste of an early important pick but its also a waste of an active roster spot since mentally you just cant loving bench your first rounder.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Excepting 2015 draft value, why did Gurley do enough to get to #1 but DJ is outside your top 5?

DJ started 5 games, has a grand total of 3 games in his career resume with >11 carries, and is in an offense with much better alternative options (receivers, Chris Johnson). Gurley started 12, had high volume basically the whole season, is the focal point of the offense (granted it's a much worse offense!), and I don't know exactly what the story is with him vs. Cunningham being the pass catching back but Gurley can be it. It's not like I hate DJ, but I'm not taking a 5 game starter with a top 5 pick. I don't think there's much difference in their ceiling, and I'm much more comfortable in trusting what I saw from Gurley to continue, vs. the non-negligible chance that DJ's phenomenal few games was a flash in the pan. And I won't ignore draft value totally, though it doesn't play a big role for me in DJ vs. Gurley; we have a limited sample size from both, and I think we should still let draft value have some influence until we're completely comfortable with the NFL resume (maybe somewhere around a full season of being a starter, or something like that).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
ACLs seem to be far less scary than in the past, and all report have Charles looking great, so I'd be comfortable with him on my roster. The real question is what I give up to have him there. In general I'm really high on WR this year but getting a combo like AP and Charles seems like a really solid option. AP's age concerns seem largely overblown to me given his health, the year he was out of the league, and how he's used. Charles may have competition behind him but I still consider him a high upside stud.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

ACLs seem to be far less scary than in the past, and all report have Charles looking great, so I'd be comfortable with him on my roster. The real question is what I give up to have him there. In general I'm really high on WR this year but getting a combo like AP and Charles seems like a really solid option. AP's age concerns seem largely overblown to me given his health, the year he was out of the league, and how he's used. Charles may have competition behind him but I still consider him a high upside stud.

I agree completely and the problem with being high on WRs this year is that it seems everyone is.

As a long time champion of the NO RB, this years draft will be interesting with 4 of the top 5 picks expected to be used on WRs. I pick 4th.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

Glad to see the sheets back up. There is a sheet very close to what my league has transitioned to this season but not quite. My draft is still close to 2 weeks away so should I wait until next week for the custom sheet request for a next Friday update? We finally ditched the kicker and added another flex instead of a mandatory tight end!

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Need validation on my keeper options. I'm 99% decided but someone changed my mind last year. 0.5ppr, 2 keepers. If two people are kept with the same round cost, one player of my choice moves up a round.

Most likely:
Allen Robinson (3rd rounder)
Jordan Reed (10th rounder)
David Johnson (10th rounder)

Less likely:
Jeremy Hill (7th)
Josh Gordon (10th)
Jay Ajayi (7th)

Robinson would have been a fourth if I had drafted Drew Brees before him at the turn :(

Thanks goons.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Beyond a shadow of doubt you are making the right decision :twisted:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

kiimo posted:

Tevin Coleman had it all in his grasp at the beginning of last year. It was right there for the taking.

And he failed, and has continued to fail. He's just there to spell Freeman now IMO.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Howdy folks. I'm the commish of a league for the first time that isn't simply going to use the default options for scoring. We've used Yahoo in the past but are open-ish to using non-Yahoo hosts. Paying isn't ideal but a possibility. Here are some things we're looking to do with the league:

1) Offline draft - the ability to input the draft results without having to do them with a time limit during the draft. It will be taking part during a Labor Day BBQ so it will be leisurely and over the course of a few hours.

2) FAAB - We all hate the waiver system.

3) Points - PPR and defenses that don't lose points for pick sixes. We're also up in the air about flexes/bench spots at the moment, so the ability to alter this multiple times before the draft would be nice.

4) Conferences(?) - Maybe. It's a 10 team league, so playing your conference twice and the other once works out nearly perfectly and is more balanced than only playing some random people twice.

5) PLAYOFFS?!!? - We don't exactly know how we want to do this yet. Definitely a losers bracket that ends with a Sacko Bowl. Not sure if we want the playoff system to be 6 with a bye for the conference winners or Championship 4, Sacko 4, Middle 2. I suppose full control over setting playoff matchups might be what I'm looking for vs. a system that sets this at the beginning of the season, but beggars/choosers/etc.

Is there a system that can cover all of these, or at least most of these. I imagine the top three are almost universal by now, but I feel like with Yahoo there will be issues with the playoffs. Thanks in advance, yall.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Marshmallow Blue posted:

And he failed, and has continued to fail. He's just there to spell Freeman now IMO.

The downside to Freeman is he's a pretty small back for the kind of usage people are projecting him for. Freeman ran like a guy 15lbs heavier than he actually is last year (low pad level, breaking arm tackles), but I worry that''ll hurt him down the stretch.

Most teams wisely pair their small backs with bigger guys to try and preserve them. Falcon's O-line looks to improve on last year's performance with Mack under center, so even if Coleman is a JAG he could perform well. Worth a late round flyer anyway.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Just wanted to post again about the goon ALL IDP LEAUGE, thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787157

It's exactly what it sounds like, all defensive players. This year we are using ESPN. Currently rosters consist of the following:

quote:

POS
D Flex 1
LB 4
DT 1
DE 1
DL 1
CB 1
S 1
DB 1
BN 6

And scoring looks like this:

quote:

Tackle Solo: 1.5
Tackle Assist: .75
Sack: 3.5
Interception: 5
Fumble Force: 3.5
Fumble Recovery: 3.5
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Pass Defended: 3
Block Kick: 5
Tackles for Loss: 2

We currently have 9 confirmed players and are trying to decide on a draft date. Rosters and scoring might be adjusted if we end up with less than 14 players.

There is definitely 1 slot open and the other 4 potential slots are reserved for returning players but as we get closer to the start of the season we will probably have to assume they are not coming back.

So if you're down for trying something different from your average league come post your interest: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787157

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
12 team PPR redraft league with points for return yards, I'm drafting 3rd and will take either OBJ/Julio. My next two picks are at 22 and 27 and I think ideally I'd like to get Devonta and Jarvis Landry (ranked 25 and 50 by Yahoo, in a league where probably 50-70% of players will adhere quite strictly to those rankings, because they don't know any better)

My conundrum is that two of my biggest competitors have picks 23-26. I'm fairly certain the guy drafting at the 24-25 turn wants Landry, so I'd have to take him at 22 to get him. I suspect Freeman won't make it to me at 27.

So I guess the question is, who would you rather have? Freeman only outscored Landry by 3 points last season with our league's scoring. Gotta be Landry and hope that Freeman falls, right?

FantasyPros has Landry at 31 in PPR, so I can live with taking him at 22 because of the return yard bonus.

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 25, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
What other RBs look to be available if Freeman isn't there for your third pick? I really like Landry in full PPR and adding return yards will make his floor insane.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felter Chesthard posted:

Glad to see the sheets back up. There is a sheet very close to what my league has transitioned to this season but not quite. My draft is still close to 2 weeks away so should I wait until next week for the custom sheet request for a next Friday update? We finally ditched the kicker and added another flex instead of a mandatory tight end!

Submit the request whenever; the macro automatically culls out any request that's a repeat or more than 8 days away from the last update.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

MrSargent posted:

What other RBs look to be available if Freeman isn't there for your third pick? I really like Landry in full PPR and adding return yards will make his floor insane.

Yeah Landry's floor just seems too high to pass on.

Likely looking at a choice of Lacy/McCoy/Rawls at 27.

e: Just reviewed the BeerSheet and it really strongly prefers Freeman. Would you prefer Freeman/Hilton or Landry/Lacy?

I think I prefer Freeman/Hilton. Maybe I could swing a trade to move up from 27 to 21 and grab them both...

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 25, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

weekly font posted:

Howdy folks. I'm the commish of a league for the first time that isn't simply going to use the default options for scoring. We've used Yahoo in the past but are open-ish to using non-Yahoo hosts. Paying isn't ideal but a possibility. Here are some things we're looking to do with the league:

1) Offline draft - the ability to input the draft results without having to do them with a time limit during the draft. It will be taking part during a Labor Day BBQ so it will be leisurely and over the course of a few hours.

2) FAAB - We all hate the waiver system.

3) Points - PPR and defenses that don't lose points for pick sixes. We're also up in the air about flexes/bench spots at the moment, so the ability to alter this multiple times before the draft would be nice.

4) Conferences(?) - Maybe. It's a 10 team league, so playing your conference twice and the other once works out nearly perfectly and is more balanced than only playing some random people twice.

5) PLAYOFFS?!!? - We don't exactly know how we want to do this yet. Definitely a losers bracket that ends with a Sacko Bowl. Not sure if we want the playoff system to be 6 with a bye for the conference winners or Championship 4, Sacko 4, Middle 2. I suppose full control over setting playoff matchups might be what I'm looking for vs. a system that sets this at the beginning of the season, but beggars/choosers/etc.

Is there a system that can cover all of these, or at least most of these. I imagine the top three are almost universal by now, but I feel like with Yahoo there will be issues with the playoffs. Thanks in advance, yall.

ESPN will do all of that except for the pick six. I'm a big fan of them. If you absolutely can't stand the pick six thing then go with MyFantasyLeague, but personally I don't think the difference is worth the $60.

Personally I'm not a fan of conferences. Fantasy Football is already so arbitrary that it seems unnecessary to lock people into specific groups.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Submit the request whenever; the macro automatically culls out any request that's a repeat or more than 8 days away from the last update.

Hey beer I submitted a sheet request for my home lead with weirdass rules but it's not in any of the folders. If I submit it again do I just try to pull it from there or can you let me know?

It's almost useless to anyone else because the rules make no sense.

RVProfootballer posted:

DJ started 5 games, has a grand total of 3 games in his career resume with >11 carries, and is in an offense with much better alternative options (receivers, Chris Johnson). Gurley started 12, had high volume basically the whole season, is the focal point of the offense (granted it's a much worse offense!), and I don't know exactly what the story is with him vs. Cunningham being the pass catching back but Gurley can be it. It's not like I hate DJ, but I'm not taking a 5 game starter with a top 5 pick. I don't think there's much difference in their ceiling, and I'm much more comfortable in trusting what I saw from Gurley to continue, vs. the non-negligible chance that DJ's phenomenal few games was a flash in the pan. And I won't ignore draft value totally, though it doesn't play a big role for me in DJ vs. Gurley; we have a limited sample size from both, and I think we should still let draft value have some influence until we're completely comfortable with the NFL resume (maybe somewhere around a full season of being a starter, or something like that).

Cool thank you. I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to seek out the thought process of those who don't have the same conclusions as me in the elite, hair-splitting tier.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 25, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Hey beer I submitted a sheet request for my home lead with weirdass rules but it's not in any of the folders. If I submit it again do I just try to pull it from there or can you let me know?

When's your draft? If it's more than a week away it won't show up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

ESPN will do all of that except for the pick six. I'm a big fan of them. If you absolutely can't stand the pick six thing then go with MyFantasyLeague, but personally I don't think the difference is worth the $60.

Personally I'm not a fan of conferences. Fantasy Football is already so arbitrary that it seems unnecessary to lock people into specific groups.

It definitely is not worth the money. I know Calvinball uses ESPN so maybe I can just go in and edit the scores post-game if there's pick-sixes.

And, yeah, conferences is still up in the air but it's a fun times friends league so we're just gonna roll with whatever feels right.

Thanks, Beer! I'll hopefully be driving your sheets to victory.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Cool thank you. I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to seek out the thought process of those who don't have the same conclusions as me in the elite, hair-splitting tier.

Yeah no worries, it was good to actually think about explicitly and articulate my reasoning. I think in general I tend to trust track record more than passing the eye test or pure potential, and definitely subscribe to the "your 1st rounder should be safe" school of thought. I'm happy to take a chance on someone like Rawls in the 3rd or 4th, but in the 1st it's too scary, hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When's your draft? If it's more than a week away it won't show up.

I put in a dummy draft date before that has already passed which is why I asked. I mostly want it to help rethink my opinions on how players come out in rankings because of the wonky settings.

• Locked thread