Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did you forget to login to the correct "AP" account?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhzyiNWTnw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Palisader posted:

These people are scary and this does nothing but lend weight to my supposition that they need to confront their real life problems instead of escaping into pretend space life

Escapism is something that happens to many people, and it is not a good thing. :smithcloud:

Sometimes good things may come out of it though..for a time.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4zij15/mobiglas_apps/

Yes, let's allow people to download and execute arbitrary code inside the game. I'm sure absolutely nothing will go wrong.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

There has been an awakening...

a ship that tries to do everything and sucks at everything

the perfect mascot for this pos

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I agree, 3.0 could basically be a standalone title with how many possibilities and mechanics it's going to have. Certainly if the game was being made by some unnamed publishers (lol as if) they'd probably present their version of 3.0 as the final release version. Content is content and it'll start arriving when the PG pipeline has matured and all the tile sets are finished. Even with only one system we'll probably have hundreds of hours of emergent content on our hands. Multiple planets with moons and over a hundred points of interests like stations and surface bases and a dynamic task generation system. I guess my point is that 3.0 isn't going to be Star Citizen, but it's going to be incredibly close, and it can surely compete against the very best the current AAA market has to offer. Perhaps in the past I too would have compared it to GTA 5, but now it seems to be so much more.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

darkarchon posted:

Too bad SC doesn't support head trackers.

It did for a while, but the 'fidelity' of having a head surrounding the camera meant that you could clip outside your own helmet. Kinda wished I'd recorded some of that.

Chances are they're keeping it out because head tracking can produce quick movements, tank the framerate and makes the motion blur look loving horrible.

You will note that both Arma2 and Arma3 managed to pull this off, and you're also not looking at headless models ingame.

iron buns posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4zij15/mobiglas_apps/

Yes, let's allow people to download and execute arbitrary code inside the game. I'm sure absolutely nothing will go wrong.

Well, they aren't saying _arbitrary_, but I wouldn't trust them to build an API. Hell, I'm looking forward to a release filled with exploits, if it releases. 2.4 squished a bug where shooting parts of the station would give you money. How does that even work?

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

kikkelivelho posted:

I agree, 3.0 could basically be a standalone title with how many possibilities and mechanics it's going to have. Certainly if the game was being made by some unnamed publishers (lol as if) they'd probably present their version of 3.0 as the final release version. Content is content and it'll start arriving when the PG pipeline has matured and all the tile sets are finished. Even with only one system we'll probably have hundreds of hours of emergent content on our hands. Multiple planets with moons and over a hundred points of interests like stations and surface bases and a dynamic task generation system. I guess my point is that 3.0 isn't going to be Star Citizen, but it's going to be incredibly close, and it can surely compete against the very best the current AAA market has to offer. Perhaps in the past I too would have compared it to GTA 5, but now it seems to be so much more.

3.0 is going to be the "alpha" PU that we've been waiting for. It's at that point that we can see the proc gen tech that they developed in action. The Interview with Brian Chambers a month ago had already alluded to the finalization of the tech and several planets among dev builds.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

3.0 is going to be the "alpha" PU that we've been waiting for.

Are you saying that every couple of months and just advancing the number?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

kikkelivelho posted:

Since we're sharing, here's my Star Citizen Story:

3 years ago my little brother drowned. We were out at sea on our family boat and got completely wasted. My brother fell off the boat and was too drunk to swim. Now, I want to make something clear so this doesn't seem creepy: I have accepted his death, I don't have any lingering regrets or thoughts about how I could have saved him or something. Anyway, I recently learned that if you have multiple game copies on your account you get additional character slots that can be used to create crew members for your ships. I figured I might as well create my brother in the game, you know as a sort of a memento. Instead of a boat we'd have my trusty Freelancer. We'd sail not on the sea but through the infinite black void. How cool is this going to be? If you have any stories please feel free to post them here.

I'm really sorry to hear of your tragedy. Yet it confirms that most Shitizens are in this because they have some kind of issues.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It's really sad how they've glommed onto the one and only piece of emergent fun the backers have ever been able to find. Bumping around a stupid vending machine, the movements of which aren't even replicated across clients.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think the Lesnicks have the Cheesecake Factory as their In Case of Emergency contact?

Also, Dick Wolfman blocked me on Twitter.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Erin seems to have some truly enourmous grabby hands.

E: out of interest to people who actually know english: why is Big Bennys not spelt Big Benny's? Arent't those his noodles?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

kikkelivelho posted:

We are aware, and CIG is certainly aware, that anyone in the alpha can currently use external chat programs to communicate. I understand that it currently has to be like this since no inbuilt system currently exists, but in the future the developers need to take a hard look at this. Electronic warfare is one of the main pillars of combat in the Star Citizen universe and scrambling communications is a big part of that. External chat programs completely negate these important mechanics which is why CIG absolutely has to develop a solution. IMO the game should not even start if it detects programs such as Skype running. This may sound intrusive, but I don't want this to ruin an otherwise amazing game. If we want Star Citizen at it's best these are the kind of sacrifices we will have to make, now and in the future.

There have been numerous discussion threads from the shitizens calling for the Star Citizen executable to enact electronic warfare against any other application on the system which could in any way be used for communications. This proposed feature, which no rational game developer would ever introduce, even reached the level in some backers minds where they were imagining Star Citizen running directly on the metal, being its own operating system.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

For fucks sake Derek please fix 'StarCitizen' in the thread title.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ManofManyAliases posted:

3.0 is going to be the "alpha" PU that we've been waiting for. It's at that point that we can see the proc gen tech that they developed in action. The Interview with Brian Chambers a month ago had already alluded to the finalization of the tech and several planets among dev builds.

[citation needed]

Having a few planetary bodies is not a showcase of procgen tech, and so far we don't even know if 3.0 will have anything more than Delamar.

Also, I'm fairly certain that dude is fakeposting.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

There have been numerous discussion threads from the shitizens calling for the Star Citizen executable to enact electronic warfare against any other application on the system which could in any way be used for communications. This proposed feature, which no rational game developer would ever introduce, even reached the level in some backers minds where they were imagining Star Citizen running directly on the metal, being its own operating system.

Why not? To start Word, simply walk into the public library on Olisar and borrow a computer. To Skype, go to a video kiosk on the main plaza. Why settle for anything less than being the guy controlling the spaceman pushing the keyboard on the virtual computer typing out your 50k wordcount erotic Chris Roberts slashfic?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1X3ittf5VI

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

edit: 'Derek I've had that vision too Smart'

edit2: vvv Perhaps an add-on to the Saitek HOTAS that can detect a Fedora. Maybe it could even throw out the casuals wearing Trilbys.

I like how much rage this is producing with cultists on reddit for what amounts to lighthearted joking.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Charles Get-Out posted:

[citation needed]

Having a few planetary bodies is not a showcase of procgen tech, and so far we don't even know if 3.0 will have anything more than Delamar.

Also, I'm fairly certain that dude is fakeposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp5AlLytcn0&t=1237s

It was here where he first mentioned that they now have the tech to start to pull in the worlds rather quickly. This was in June, and shortly after the video, they started to allude that we would see demonstrations of this at Gamescom and beyond, but nothing was showcased at the time.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm not disputing that he said that, I'm remaining very skeptical because CIG has a long track record of not getting things done that they say they've gotten done.

Until I see the procgen tech working for a decent number of worlds, I'm not going to believe it exists in workable fashion.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Erenthal posted:

Why not? To start Word, simply walk into the public library on Olisar and borrow a computer. To Skype, go to a video kiosk on the main plaza. Why settle for anything less than being the guy controlling the spaceman pushing the keyboard on the virtual computer typing out your 50k wordcount erotic Chris Roberts slashfic?

A little comment about the "You're controlling the hands controlling the spaceship." concept. If that were the case, then of what use is a flight stick? Using a flight stick to control hands seems really awkward.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tuo posted:

out of interest to people who actually know english: why is Big Bennys not spelt Big Benny's? Arent't those his noodles?

Perhaps it's plural?

"Look at all these big bennys."

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

It was here where he first mentioned that they now have the tech to start to pull in the worlds rather quickly. This was in June, and shortly after the video, they started to allude that we would see demonstrations of this at Gamescom and beyond, but nothing was showcased at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxp_lucvq8&t=1179s

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I usually don't give many shits about sound design, but if they got people working on sound design they shouldn't because they suck

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

kikkelivelho posted:

Did you do this before I started doing it?

Reddit is so drat painful so I couldn't handle it

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Chris Ihao
Aug 20, 2016

Thats Professor Elemental, my dear Watson

Truga posted:

I spent some of my refund money on a new monitor calibration thingy. Good stuff.

I purchased a Rift CV1. Quite happy with that swap as well.

Also. No kidding: Derek actually hugely influenced my decision and pushed me over the edge. I will probably hate him when SC turns out to be a huge success, and I suddenly long for my LTI Aurora, Mustang, Freelancer, Origin 350r, Super hornet and Constellation. Not.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

spacetoaster posted:

Perhaps it's plural?

"Look at all these big bennys."

Unfortunately the answer is that many English speakers have no idea how apostrophes work.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Did you do this before I started doing it?

Reddit is so drat painful so I couldn't handle it
i appreciate their naive wide eyed optimism

edit: well, in repost form anyway

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
In Star Citizen, you control your spaceman who controls his space laser rifle, who shoots individually modeled photons through a handcrafted optical fiber, with the travel time of the beam accurately coded.

It was a challenge to make the engine handle the "shots" as a beam with individually modeled photons (due to the constraints imposed by our accurate quantum physics engine) but Chris' golden hands solved it after a night of coding

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:laffo:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

SelenicMartian posted:

The idea of the show is to mash bugs together in hope that they produce something stable. Hence the name.

What did they cut from the demo to make it "high quality"?

I'm not going to watch those videos but I'm going to assume they cut out Chris Roberts to make the game seem more high quality.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes they alluded to it. They never promised it. So I think it's okay that they didn't show it. We wouldn't want to put unfair pressure on those hard working developers.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm not disputing that he said that, I'm remaining very skeptical because CIG has a long track record of not getting things done that they say they've gotten done.

Until I see the procgen tech working for a decent number of worlds, I'm not going to believe it exists in workable fashion.

It's not procedural generation - it's "procedural techniques". It's all R&D, ie, a completely separate build. The procedural stuff they're hyping up is a tool for building the planets. There's no procedural generation on the fly, the planets will be modelled and stored conventionally.

They'll take the modelled planet and plop it into the PU and call it 3.0. That's it. The networking, AI and collision detection will remain as broken as it ever was.

It'll go just about as smoothly as plopping the Ilfonic Star Marine build into the PU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9T48l7Oq0Q

Chris Roberts
"We're ending the end of the sort of, ehm... sort of... engineering R&D technical stuff, we've got some more stuff to do on the NETWORKING, still got some more stuff to do on the AI and some more stuff to do on SCALABILITY side"

"The big difference between what we're doing with our planets and probably some of the other games that have, you know... got... you know, HAVE planets that are out now, so NO MANS SKY or ELITE, is that... we focus on not being... we do use PROCEDURAL TECHNIQUES but ours AID an artist or designer in CREATING the world whereas the other approach is you create a bunch of procedural templates and then sort of depending on some RULES you create these different planets"

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Here I was already to make a joke about Wulf working for poo poo, I mean ships... And it turns out he is actually working for poo poo... Which is even funnier the more you think about it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SomethingJones posted:

It's not procedural generation - it's "procedural techniques". It's all R&D, ie, a completely separate build. The procedural stuff they're hyping up is a tool for building the planets. There's no procedural generation on the fly, the planets will be modelled and stored conventionally.

They'll take the modelled planet and plop it into the PU and call it 3.0. That's it. The networking, AI and collision detection will remain as broken as it ever was.

It'll go just about as smoothly as plopping the Ilfonic Star Marine build into the PU.

Chris Roberts
"We're ending the end of the sort of, ehm... sort of... engineering R&D technical stuff, we've got some more stuff to do on the NETWORKING, still got some more stuff to do on the AI and some more stuff to do on SCALABILITY side"

"The big difference between what we're doing with our planets and probably some of the other games that have, you know... got... you know, HAVE planets that are out now, so NO MANS SKY or ELITE, is that... we focus on not being... we do use PROCEDURAL TECHNIQUES but ours AID an artist or designer in CREATING the world whereas the other approach is you create a bunch of procedural templates and then sort of depending on some RULES you create these different planets"

Chris must have done a chinectomy, he's down to two now

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SomethingJones posted:

Chris Roberts

This doesn't make sense though, nobody stores a planet as a model

...?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

"At the same time, everything's on the same codebase, so... we have those in there and we have them functioning... ah... meaning we have the TECH functioning the way it needs to... which it WILL BE... ahm... could we use it so we could pull things together more EFFICIENTLY? Absolutely. Uhm, but you know I don't think it would be something... and I could be wrong... but... my guess would be or would it be that when you go back in, you're gonna have a different experience or see different terrain, uhm... it would just be used to set the defined terrain at that point"

which, for those of you who are paying attention, is EXACTLY what Chris Roberts said they WEREN'T doing:

Chris Roberts on Procgen:
"whereas the other approach is you create a bunch of procedural templates and then sort of depending on some RULES you create these different planets"

So who are we listening to here, Brian Chambers or Chris Roberts? Who is right and who is wrong? They can't both be right! At some point this all breaks down into telling people exactly what they want to hear based on whatever game has been released that month, and if you haven't seen it by now your brain is broken and you should totally throw more money into this mess.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Chris must have done a chinectomy, he's down to two now
He's just hunching over more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yes they alluded to it. They never promised it. So I think it's okay that they didn't show it. We wouldn't want to put unfair pressure on those hard working developers.

I'm not following. They never said, "Oh, well, we're trying or thinking of developing this tech." They said that they're just about finished with it and already have several planets in our dev build. That dev build evolved into the demo we saw at Gamescom and no doubt will evolve into something playable by 3.0.

• Locked thread