Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is original Xbox emulation completely dead? It seems like cxbx hasn't been updated since 2012 and Xeon's been dead for even longer. A shame if it is, I'd really like to play Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Work is progressing in MAME, though it'll be a while. Just buying an original Xbox is dirt cheap still though, and if you're lazy like me you can soft mod it for under $10 additionally with a cheap common used game and a controller port to usb adapter that you slap a flash drive in. Load a hacked save on the usb stick and you have an alternate shell that lets you play pirated games in under 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

and a controller port to usb adapter that you slap a flash drive in

Wait, holy poo poo, that exists? Last I looked into softmodding, you had to have an Action Replay save transfer thing, and I assumed those were long gone by now.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mercury Crusader posted:

It doesn't happen while spinning up a disk, or when the tray opens/closes, or when it's reading data. It only makes that grinding noise when it is powered on for the first time in a long while, kind of like it's warming up. Then it no longer makes that noise. Might go ahead and oil up some spots anyway and see if that does anything.

If it makes a grinding noise (or maybe a quick "quack" noise?) on startup, it's most likely the limit switch for the laser transport not triggering properly. On startup, the model 1 will move the laser towards the spindle until it hits the limit switch. At that point, it'll attempt to focus and read the disc. If the switch doesn't trip in time, or if it's flaky, it'll try to keep moving the laser against the spindle and grind the gears. A good temporary fix that worked for me was spraying the inside of the switch with Deoxit. It might take up to a day to fully dissolve the 20 years of oxidation on there.

I think yours resolved on its own due to all the movement scraping away the oxidation. Unfortunately, I didn't have as much luck. A better fix would be replacing the switches. I haven't tried yet because I don't really know what to look for.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Work is progressing in MAME, though it'll be a while. Just buying an original Xbox is dirt cheap still though, and if you're lazy like me you can soft mod it for under $10 additionally with a cheap common used game and a controller port to usb adapter that you slap a flash drive in. Load a hacked save on the usb stick and you have an alternate shell that lets you play pirated games in under 20 minutes.

And import games, as well, because you better have a real copy of Metal Wolf Chaos. :911:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait, holy poo poo, that exists? Last I looked into softmodding, you had to have an Action Replay save transfer thing, and I assumed those were long gone by now.

Yeah. See the thing is, the original Xbox controller ports? They're literally just USB 1.1 ports with a weird connector, so you buy a cable like this (you can get them cheaper on ebay) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMCJB4...H8VKZZSB0B32F1E and you can plug USB devices right in. Properly formatted USB flash drives get read as if they were any other memory card for the system, just in a much larger size.

I followed this guide to do it, and I used the James Bond game they mentioned because I could get it for $2 shipped disc only: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-the-original-xbox.385064/

The basic process is once you have the short adapter cable, or wired up one of your own from an Xbox controller plug and a usb socket you already had, you stick your flash drive in and the Xbox will ask you to let it format it so it can be used. You should use a flash drive smaller than 2 GB for this for the most reliability, and you can get those dirt cheap if you only have big ones. You then download the appropriate files and hacked save , and place it on the stick using the Xplorer360 application, which can read USB sticks formatted by the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 to move files around. Put the game disc in, get to wherever the save menu is, and try to load the hacked save, and it boots you out of the game and into an installer thing.

Very easy.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

azurite posted:

If it makes a grinding noise (or maybe a quick "quack" noise?) on startup, it's most likely the limit switch for the laser transport not triggering properly. On startup, the model 1 will move the laser towards the spindle until it hits the limit switch. At that point, it'll attempt to focus and read the disc. If the switch doesn't trip in time, or if it's flaky, it'll try to keep moving the laser against the spindle and grind the gears. A good temporary fix that worked for me was spraying the inside of the switch with Deoxit. It might take up to a day to fully dissolve the 20 years of oxidation on there.

I think yours resolved on its own due to all the movement scraping away the oxidation. Unfortunately, I didn't have as much luck. A better fix would be replacing the switches. I haven't tried yet because I don't really know what to look for.

This makes sense to me. When it was making the noise, the Sega CD startup screen took a while before it would prompt me to hit reset to eject the tray or press start to run the CD. Now that the noise is gone, that wait time isn't there anymore. Next time I root around inside the Sega CD I'll check out all the moving parts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Yeah. See the thing is, the original Xbox controller ports? They're literally just USB 1.1 ports with a weird connector, so you buy a cable like this (you can get them cheaper on ebay) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMCJB4...H8VKZZSB0B32F1E and you can plug USB devices right in. Properly formatted USB flash drives get read as if they were any other memory card for the system, just in a much larger size.

I followed this guide to do it, and I used the James Bond game they mentioned because I could get it for $2 shipped disc only: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-the-original-xbox.385064/

The basic process is once you have the short adapter cable, or wired up one of your own from an Xbox controller plug and a usb socket you already had, you stick your flash drive in and the Xbox will ask you to let it format it so it can be used. You should use a flash drive smaller than 2 GB for this for the most reliability, and you can get those dirt cheap if you only have big ones. You then download the appropriate files and hacked save , and place it on the stick using the Xplorer360 application, which can read USB sticks formatted by the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 to move files around. Put the game disc in, get to wherever the save menu is, and try to load the hacked save, and it boots you out of the game and into an installer thing.

Very easy.

poo poo. :stare: I need an original Xbox now, I think.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can softmod a xbox without any games as well but it's a monumental pain in the rear end. You need a computer with IDE and you do a whole bunch of swapping and crap to get the drive to mount. It took me like 4 or 5 hours to do a XBox that way.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-softmod-your-xbox...for-FREE/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

You can softmod a xbox without any games as well but it's a monumental pain in the rear end. You need a computer with IDE and you do a whole bunch of swapping and crap to get the drive to mount. It took me like 4 or 5 hours to do a XBox that way.

Yeah. Even when you know what you're doing, this method is a massive pain in the rear end.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You do, everyone does! Honestly the only problems it really has are:
1) You'll need an ethernet jack on your router or wireless bridge. Because the easiest way to load games on it once you've set things up is over the network.
2) you'll need to buy or have lying around an old IDE drive or cf-ide or sd-ide adapter to replace the stock 8 or 10 GB hard drive for all your pirated games. But this is cheap and easy, like I got a refurbished 250 GB Maxtor for 20 bucks shipped.
3) A lot of sellers are missing the plug end of the break away cable on controllers, leaving them useless. But you can buy replacement ones on eBay for very cheap.
4) some newer HDTV sets lack component input so you can't get best quality out of your Xbox component cables.

Other than that you're set. You should only need to pay $30 to $50 for a working system with working controller on eBay, before shipping.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Back in 2005 I softmodded an Xbox and swapped in a 120GB HDD without needing to buy a game or a special cable or anything, but all I remember about the instructions I followed is that I spent an entire afternoon repeatedly failing to hotswap the hard drive at just the right moment, so $8 worth of James Bond and USB adapter is the smart way to do it probably

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Gaijin Gamer's Guide to Japanese (to guide you through the mountain of import games)
Part 3: Referencing Japanese

Part 1: Kana
Part 2: Kanji

So you've learned the kana, maybe picked up some kanji. Now you're ready to make use of the basics to begin communicating and comprehending Japanese. But I hear your concerns already. "How do I type in Japanese? How do you express thousands of kanji using an English keyboard?? How do you reference a dictionary where the characters express meaning, not pronunciation???" This will be a short section because the hard work is already out of the way.

Setting up your keyboard to type in Japanese

http://redcocoon.org/cab/mysoft.html
https://www.coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese801/install_ime.html

This is a relatively simple process. Follow the steps above for Mac and Windows users. I use Windows so that'll be my frame of reference. Windows will memorize which window you set to Japanese language mode and this is helpful because I find it easier to type in a separate window then copy/paste where I need the text.

By default you'll want to type in hiragana. IME features a rather smart conversion system where pressing space will convert the kana to kanji or katakana if it's a recognized loan word. Majority of the time it will select the appropriate one but you can use the arrow keys to choose something different.

Some helpful shortcuts for windows

alt shift: cycle between installed language packs
alt capslock: switch to katakana
ctrl capslock: switch to hiragana
alt ~: cycle between kana and romaji (alphabet)

Practice a bit by typing out the verbs we looked at earlier. Press space after typing the verb to convert it directly to kanji. If you get the wrong kanji use up/down to select the right one.

I typed みる which almost always means 見る "to see" but if I meant something else I could change it.

IME is kind of smart in that it understands context.

Here the #1 recommendation is 診る which is pronounced the same as "to see" but means "to examine (medically)." Why did it make this change? Because I preceded it with 歯医者 (はいしゃ) "dentist." In English a doctor could say "I'm ready to see you" and we understand what they mean. Well in Japanese it's the same thing but when dealing with text you have to specify your meaning with the appropriate kanji.

Optical Character Recognition

Several programs exist to take a captured screenshot and convert it to text. Personally I use Capture2Text which seems to be designed for rapidly translating manga. It gives me finer control with selection boxes and hot keys.

unfortunately it's not very accurate for certain video games. It's designed for high contrast text, black on white, and is more accurate the smaller the font is.

I have it set up to output text directly to notepad++

The outputted result includes some gibberish, but the important thing is that it got 2-out-of-3 kanji correct which is reliable enough for general use.

So we're 2/3 accurate. How do we get the other 1/3?

Using An Online Dictionary

Online dictionaries are where you'll spend the bulk of your time. My favorite is Jisho. It will transliterate English to kana and closely match the word you're looking for.

Hover over links to receive more options. Of particular importance is kanji details.

See stroke order and radicals (more on those in a bit), and readings at a glance. You can also see the word in other languages. You'll see Portuguese a lot because the Japanese made first Western contact with them in 1543.

I also use a Chrome plugin called Rikaikun which brings up definitions for any kanji I highlight. I don't have it turned on but starting out IPA Furigana is helpful for beginners. Furigana displays the pronunciation above the kanji, remember?

Looking Up Kanji

Maybe you're playing on a console or character recognition just isn't working for you. How do you reference kanji you don't know? There are a few ways although you'll have to do some extra legwork.

Kanji may look like arbitrary strokes to the unfamiliar but there's meaning behind the ideographs. The important thing to take away are "radicals", semantic indicators of the meaning behind the word. Think of it as the equivalent of prefixes/suffixes in English. For example, if you see one of the "water" radicals then the word will probably be associated with water in some way. Radicals often combine in logical ways so 氵water + 日 sun gives you 湯 hot water. Make sense?

Radicals are broken down into strokes. If you see a radical you can't recognize (which will happen, they morph in weird ways) you can use Jisho or IME to draw it stroke by stroke. If you're not comfortable drawing you can use Jisho to look up radicals by stroke count.

Tofugu: How to find the kanji radical
Tofugu: How to guess a kanji's stroke order

Putting it all in practice

Download Capture2Text and some Japanese games for your favorite emulator. Capture a menu or some text then paste it to notepad. Play around with jisho, looking up kanji you don't recognize. For an extra challenge, find out the pronunciation of the kanji, type the whole sentence in kana, then press space to translate the kana to proper kanji. Fix any errors if they don't show up correctly.

Let's translate this menu bar. The first word has more than two kanji together so it's probably someone's full name.

unfortunately the OCR can only recognize the last kanji. The first character is close but incorrect.

Using radicals to look up the first character. Flower (3 strokes) + sun (4 strokes) gives me "grass."

Doing the same for the other kanji. This one contains the flower and arrow radicals which immediately narrows down from thousands of possible options to literally 2.

And it is a proper name. Kusanagi Sachi although I think it's supposed to be pronounced Shou for this character. Names are scary but only close friends use their given name. This is great because family names are traditionally easier to figure out.

Moving on to the next option.

OCR recognizes it completely.

And it means "attack." Kind of a formal word too but this game takes place in the early 1900s so the formality makes sense.

And go down the list. It seems tedious but practice is all about repetition. The more you research the more you'll learn.

The final part will be a brief overview of sentence structure. The idea isn't to cleanly translate sentences but rather pick apart their structure for speed, not accuracy.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 25, 2016

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If you ever do get one, remember to remove the clock capacitor and go over the area of the mobo with a white vinegar-soaked cotton swab.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really want to sit down and hammer out a couple of the OG Xbox games exclusive to the system. Like Galleon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZR80Rr4JY

Yeah, this is your reward for creating Lara Croft the biggest video game face in the 90s next to Mario.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
2 questions:
1) for modding the Xbox, if I just install a new drive and softmod that, any reason to do the data transfer from the old drive? Or do I need to softmod first and then upgrade the hdd? Basically do I need to buy the molex y-cable?

2) So I have my PSone hooked up to my PVM for RGB. Is there any issue with leaving the small PSone LCD screen attached? Will it reduce the quality going to my PVM? I am debating on disconnecting it anyway to keep the hours on it low since it is always on even when attached to a TV (I wish they turned it off the an AV cable is connected).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

1) You'll need an ethernet jack on your router or wireless bridge. Because the easiest way to load games on it once you've set things up is over the network.
2) you'll need to buy or have lying around an old IDE drive or cf-ide or sd-ide adapter to replace the stock 8 or 10 GB hard drive for all your pirated games. But this is cheap and easy, like I got a refurbished 250 GB Maxtor for 20 bucks shipped.

Is it possible to just, y'know, burn them to DVD-Rs and play them that way? I'd be pretty alright with that.

quote:

3) A lot of sellers are missing the plug end of the break away cable on controllers, leaving them useless. But you can buy replacement ones on eBay for very cheap.

Sweet. Are the old huge controllers still easy to find and buy, or is it just the Controller S? All my old memories of Halo/MechAssault/Guilty Gear X2/Burnout 3/THPS3 were on the Controller S, but I have bigger hands now and not little baby Trump hands, and I kinda wanna try the beefy ones.

quote:

4) some newer HDTV sets lack component input so you can't get best quality out of your Xbox component cables.

Non-issue.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

al-azad posted:

The Gaijin Gamer's Guide to Japanese (to guide you through the mountain of import games)
Part 3: Referencing Japanese

Thanks for these, they're great. I took a semester of Japanese in junior college and retained only a little and I've really been meaning to get back into it.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is it possible to just, y'know, burn them to DVD-Rs and play them that way? I'd be pretty alright with that.

Maybe

It might read them fine or it might have trouble with them, it depends on the drive in the Xbox and probably a bunch of other factors. It might even only be able to read part of the disc and your game will crash half-way through.

You can replace the DVD drive with a PC IDE drive and play from DVD-R and CD-R fine, but then it won't read original Xbox discs.

There is a way to mod a specific PC drive to do all that and read original discs too (I have it in my Xbox) but I don't know if the adapter thing I used is still easily available.

edit - LG GDR-8164B is what I used, I think. I think it was a firmware flash so it could read original Xbox discs, and then I bought an adapter which allowed the Xbox eject button and stuff to work without having to solder things.

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 25, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

2) So I have my PSone hooked up to my PVM for RGB. Is there any issue with leaving the small PSone LCD screen attached? Will it reduce the quality going to my PVM? I am debating on disconnecting it anyway to keep the hours on it low since it is always on even when attached to a TV (I wish they turned it off the an AV cable is connected).

I doubt it will have any real impact on the RGB output to your PVM, especially if it's a licensed Sony screen. It looks like it does a basic pass-through from the PSOne's AV port, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. That said, it shouldn't be hard to do a comparison if you're really concerned about it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

flyboi posted:

I did this once.

Exactly once.

Thank you for these, very cool.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
At what point are you collecting old poo poo so you can actually play games or just so you can have a bunch of old poo poo tastefully displayed so you can impress random dingdongs with your supposed retro savvy.

I'm not happy with how all this poo poo is fast approaching the realm of fetishism and kitsch. Like, I like the idea of flashcarts and the like because that's facilitating the preservation and actual play of this poo poo. Garbage like whatever the hell that wooden 8bitdo thing is and that $500 dollar NES clone... that's... you just loving have that thing so you can loving just be like... who the gently caress are you trying to impress? For whom is that poo poo intended?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I'm not happy with how all this poo poo is fast approaching the realm of fetishism and kitsch.
It crossed that line decades ago.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

The Kins posted:

You think they're still in business? Because I think I want this.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

flyboi posted:

I used to be a filthy pirate so I was an expert at this poo poo. The last couple of ones I did took me like 5 minutes to softmod.
It's cumbersome, but it can be pretty useful, because softmodded xboxes are prone to gently caress themselves up for no apparent reason and this is an easy way to bring them back to life .

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I AM THE TOILET posted:

For whom is that poo poo intended?

I haven't seen anyone even halfway serious about this stuff buying things like that, it's mostly a particular kind of wealthy young person who does something involving social media advertising and #brands looking to accessorize with whatever they think nerds are into, but in a socially acceptable way. the $500 nes is the 21st century version of patrick bateman's stereo that he only uses to listen to huey lewis and the news

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just so you know, the goomba to create GB games into GBA roms (and also the NES version) work just fine with the GBA Everdrive.

It's so weird playing Link's Awakening with the Super Gameboy border on a Micro. Looks super nice though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

I want to know how many 7800 versions they produced.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Exactly as many SMS versions they made (6,)

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

The Kins posted:

Holy poo poo, they had that at some "boring clothing store" when i was a kid and i always wondered if id just dreamt that thing up because the design just seems so weird but it must have been exactly THIS, i recognize the little window for the system among other things. That thing wasnt up to arcade standards for sure, i remember it being pretty ripped to shreds by all the bored kids that got dragged to that store

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Just so you know, the goomba to create GB games into GBA roms (and also the NES version) work just fine with the GBA Everdrive.

It's so weird playing Link's Awakening with the Super Gameboy border on a Micro. Looks super nice though.

Wow, that's awesome. Is there any way to play Super Game Boy games on an emulator? I really want to play Donkey Kong 94 portably with the border and colors and better sound effects.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There was an emulator called BGB that did most Super Game Boy functions, though I don't think it did the most advanced things like Space Invaders.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The latest from Krikzz on the ED GBA: "I will release bootloader update, but i should make update tool first. However, you will need sd card which can load OS to launch bootloader update"

Apparently older SD Micro cards seem to work more reliably, so if you have an old 2gb or 4gb card lying around, it'll probably let you update it so you can use a modern 16gb or 32gb card for ROMs.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wow, that's awesome. Is there any way to play Super Game Boy games on an emulator? I really want to play Donkey Kong 94 portably with the border and colors and better sound effects.

I've used VBA-M for this with good results:

ETA:

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 25, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bSNES/Higan and Bizhawk both do "true" Super Game Boy emulation, in that it uses both a Game Boy and a SNES emulator core so it can do more than just borders. I don't know how VBA-M handles it, I haven't used it for a long time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sweet. Are the old huge controllers still easy to find and buy, or is it just the Controller S? All my old memories of Halo/MechAssault/Guilty Gear X2/Burnout 3/THPS3 were on the Controller S, but I have bigger hands now and not little baby Trump hands, and I kinda wanna try the beefy ones.

You can do it but it can be much more annoying.

Both kinds are pretty readily available on ebay/amazon/thrift stores. As well as the various third party controllers of course.

Honestly this all reminds me that I need to actually get around to installing the larger hard drive I'd bought, lol.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

2 questions:
1) for modding the Xbox, if I just install a new drive and softmod that, any reason to do the data transfer from the old drive? Or do I need to softmod first and then upgrade the hdd? Basically do I need to buy the molex y-cable?

You'd need to softmod the Xbox first if you want to upgrade the HDD and yeah, you'd need a molex y-cable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdstTRnINk

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I really need to unload the softmod xboxes I have, I binged and bought like 4 of them, and now that the vita TV is cracked and I've got my shield TV, they're just collecting dust.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Really cool article on how old school games and sprite art used to be made: http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/149092824100/the-sega-digitizer-system-a-tool-used-by-graphic

They don't make em like they used to!

In case anybody doesn't know how rad Super Game Boy Games were

http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-game-boy-introduction

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Donkey Kong 94 deserves way more love than it gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

The Kins posted:

Something's not right about that screenshot. How is Mario supposed to hit those question blocks?

• Locked thread