Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Trustworthy posted:

Some lovely Xbox clan moved into my home system, a rugged, independent mining colony at the edge of the bubble. Now Mahon's cronies are stinking up the joint. I do not like this. :smith:

Come join the frogs. We've got frogs on logs. Frogs on dogs. Frogs on hogs. If you can put a frog on it, we've got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
How do you turn in exploration data for Elvira? I don't see a Cartography option under her. Do you have to leave/revisit the station for it to show up once you unlock her?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

MisterZimbu posted:

How do you turn in exploration data for Elvira? I don't see a Cartography option under her. Do you have to leave/revisit the station for it to show up once you unlock her?

That's how it worked for me with Felicity, so give it a shot. You'll have to leave the planet entirely, though; IIRC you can't just launch and immediately re-dock.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

MisterZimbu posted:

Log out and back in.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Natsuumi posted:

Log out and back in.

Same with every engineer, first order of business upon entering their hideout is to relog.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Thanks to the person who posted that Engineers guide; I've started playing again and want to get some sweet upgrades and it's a great help. Can't wait to get those good thrusters on my Python.

I've been playing No Man's Sky recently and while I like that game a lot, I had forgotten how satisfying Elite is. The flight model and the sound and the scale of everything is just so good. The other night I was about to get started collecting some materials but ended up just flying around a planet's surface in a Courier for like an hour.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 25, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Reinstancing is enough to get cartographics to show up! Switch modes to solo (or open if you're strange), or jump to another system and back.

Coincidentally: it takes ~7M credits to rank 4 an engineer with exploration data, and another 7M to get to rank 5.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Rebought the FDL and put 4 missile launchers and a huge MC on it. This is the ship I wanted it to be when I first bought it over a year ago :swoon:

Now I have to ween myself off the 42LY+ jump range of my asp :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Reinstancing is enough to get cartographics to show up! Switch modes to solo (or open if you're strange), or jump to another system and back.

Coincidentally: it takes ~7M credits to rank 4 an engineer with exploration data, and another 7M to get to rank 5.

Hmm. Do any of the cartography-accepting engineers offer upgrades that are worth picking special effects for? Because that sounds like a pretty easy way of getting tons of “free” (for someone who's space mad) adjustments.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

Hmm. Do any of the cartography-accepting engineers offer upgrades that are worth picking special effects for? Because that sounds like a pretty easy way of getting tons of “free” (for someone who's space mad) adjustments.

No, I think only the engine-related Engis take explodata... :smith:

You can sell most of them combat bounties, however! :unsmith:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

No, I think only the engine-related Engis take explodata... :smith:

You can sell most of them combat bounties, however! :unsmith:

Did they ever fix it so that The Blaster got boosted by bounties other than his own? I know you can turn all kinds of them in, but only ones attached to his faction seemed to give XP.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Quickest is to log off to main menu and back in again. No need to change what type of game you're playing, either.
Or are you telling me there's some way of changing between solo and open without going back to the main menu?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I....

I just travelled from Euribya to Khun. I was one jump away from the system and I got interdicted by an NPC FDL. I had my shields off to save power and heat to make the fuel scooping a little more efficient.

I'm back at Euribya. I just wasted an hour and 4 million credits because the NPC wanted the four magnetic emitter coils in my cargo hold.

This is so loving horrible I can't even get mad at it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I....

I just travelled from Euribya to Khun. I was one jump away from the system and I got interdicted by an NPC FDL. I had my shields off to save power and heat to make the fuel scooping a little more efficient.

I'm back at Euribya. I just wasted an hour and 4 million credits because the NPC wanted the four magnetic emitter coils in my cargo hold.

NPCs LOVE minuscule amounts of components. If I'm trying to avoid being interdicted I've learned to make sure my cargo hold is totally empty.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

StarkRavingMad posted:

NPCs LOVE minuscule amounts of components. If I'm trying to avoid being interdicted I've learned to make sure my cargo hold is totally empty.

They still interdict you with the cargo hold empty.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I....

NPCs will harass you constantly if you have engineer-related cargo in your hold. At least it was one of the ones you can just buy from the market. Losing Modular Terminals sucks monkey nuts.

Gromit posted:

Quickest is to log off to main menu and back in again. No need to change what type of game you're playing, either.
Or are you telling me there's some way of changing between solo and open without going back to the main menu?

Nope, I was referring to what you said. Didn't know it would refresh to the same mode, so neat!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Mine launchers are the answer to the problem. Pirates hate this one crazy trick!

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Mine launchers are the answer to the problem. Pirates hate this one crazy trick!

I tried out your guide after a good 6 months away from the game (thank you for the sick-rear end guide btw). I used to do Robigo runs totally gunless; the moment I dropped mines I started laughing and pretty much didn't stop that whole night.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I was flying my combat fit FDL with a 13LY jump range and I don't know if I can face trying to make the run again back another 100LY in the opposite direction to pick up the commodities and then back to Khun :smithicide:

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Do "slaughter X of faction" type missions disappear if you do a lot of them? I was doing them off and on with a group and after our latest outing they don't seem to be popping up for me anymore.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

PyroDwarf posted:

Do "slaughter X of faction" type missions disappear if you do a lot of them? I was doing them off and on with a group and after our latest outing they don't seem to be popping up for me anymore.

I believe it depends on the state of the system you're in.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Sounds like you need to modify yo poo poo! I got the hookup right here:

The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer

Hey, protip for Marco Qwent to add to the guide: you can max rep Sirius Corp with ~2M in explodata. Then just do a random courier mission to spawn the permit mission. :eng101:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I had my shields off to save power and heat to make the fuel scooping a little more efficient.

Never do this.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

I believe it depends on the state of the system you're in.

Hey, protip for Marco Qwent to add to the guide: you can max rep Sirius Corp with ~2M in explodata. Then just do a random courier mission to spawn the permit mission. :eng101:

Do you have a protip to get 25 modular terminals? I've been to dozens of stations over the last few weeks and have yet to see a mission that gives any.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I....

If you fly shieldless in the bubble you don't really have any right to complain about getting blown up

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Thanks, I'll add this to the guide. Just needed someone to chime in!

Mike the TV posted:

Do you have a protip to get 25 modular terminals? I've been to dozens of stations over the last few weeks and have yet to see a mission that gives any.

Sadly it's RNG based, and the loot table is fairly large. High Tech High-population systems in boom state seem to get the best results.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 26, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

It took me about a week. I got 3 missions worth 12 on the first day, then nothing for 4 or 5, then I got 4 missions worth 16 on the last day. The RNG just hates you, keep at it. :unsmith:

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I got all my Modular Terminals from Sothis, I was swapping between Open/Solo constantly anyways to fill my cargo with biowaste so I would keep an eye on all the data delivery missions and salvage missions with commodity rewards. They seem to pop up pretty often there, I got 25 in 2 days.

I spent the past week hauling biowaste from Sothis to the bubble in a Cutter and made over a billion credits. My goal was to outfit and mod the Cutter for combat, but now that I have enough credits for that I'm getting cold feet. I feel like the smart thing to do is to keep my Cutter in it's current skeleton configuration with 696 tons of cargo capacity and 23 LY laden jump range and just pimp out a FDL for combat instead. Then again, flying a high speed lumbering space-tank sounds fun, especially with ship launched fighters.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

Bumbler posted:

I got all my Modular Terminals from Sothis, I was swapping between Open/Solo constantly anyways to fill my cargo with biowaste so I would keep an eye on all the data delivery missions and salvage missions with commodity rewards. They seem to pop up pretty often there, I got 25 in 2 days.

I spent the past week hauling biowaste from Sothis to the bubble in a Cutter and made over a billion credits. My goal was to outfit and mod the Cutter for combat, but now that I have enough credits for that I'm getting cold feet. I feel like the smart thing to do is to keep my Cutter in it's current skeleton configuration with 696 tons of cargo capacity and 23 LY laden jump range and just pimp out a FDL for combat instead. Then again, flying a high speed lumbering space-tank sounds fun, especially with ship launched fighters.

How many runs did it take to get that many credits?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Bumbler posted:

gently caress it, do both! Once you get them unlocked it's pretty trivial to get the materials.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

mpyro posted:

How many runs did it take to get that many credits?
About 12, with a fully packed Cutter you average around 80 million credits per run.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

Bumbler posted:

About 12, with a fully packed Cutter you average around 80 million credits per run.

That isnt too bad. What loadout did you use?

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Bumbler posted:

Do you still get pirates interdicting you constantly if you're only hauling literal poo poo, or are they less interested in cramming 8 tons of crap into their combat fit cobra like they should be?

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

mpyro posted:

That isnt too bad. What loadout did you use?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutter/0pftsFplxdssCf6-------0202030404040404070705054i37040302.Iw18ZZA=.Aw18ZCMpA===?bn=Trade%20Cutter

If you really want to mix-max it you could probably get away with cutting out most of the shield boosters and going down to a 4A power plant. As long as you aren't carrying engineer commodities you hardly ever get interdicted on legal trading runs.

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Do you still get pirates interdicting you constantly if you're only hauling literal poo poo, or are they less interested in cramming 8 tons of crap into their combat fit cobra like they should be?

The NPC pirates tend to leave you alone if you're just carrying biowaste, but throw some modular terminals in there and they'll be all over your rear end. The Cutter is great at escaping though, it's fast and impossible to mass lock.

Bumbler fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 26, 2016

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
I don't have a cutter, but I may end filling my clipper with cargo racks and heading out there for that level of pay!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Where's a good place in the bubble to sell 600 tonnes of literal poo poo from Sothis? I haven't tried that before.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Rasmussen posted:

Where's a good place in the bubble to sell 600 tonnes of literal poo poo from Sothis? I haven't tried that before.

The poo poo all comes from delivery missions, so no selling involved.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Is it worth upgrading small launch pad ships with engineers mods? (DBS, Cobra)

Rasmussen posted:

Don't be a capitalist hoarder and just dump them inside Cleve Hub or Ackermann stations in Eravate in open for free.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Bumbler posted:

The poo poo all comes from delivery missions, so no selling involved.

Oh OK. I've done plenty of Sothis runs before but never focused on biowaste. I'll have to take a peek.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Rasmussen posted:

Oh OK. I've done plenty of Sothis runs before but never focused on biowaste. I'll have to take a peek.

There's nothing special about biowaste, it just happens to be the main export from Sothis for some reason. I'm scared of what we'll find when space legs come out and we can explore the interior of that space station.

Just focus on high profit trading missions, I aim for anything above 100k per ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Wu Guinagi has been good to me, but I'll probably break ~20m tomorrow and was considering an Asp-E setup to make some cash on Sothis before it's eventually nerfed. Is a 5A FSD really required to open this up? It's made up for with one run but a 5B is so much cheaper. The price break between an affordable Asp and a 20m+ Asp (from googling) seems to be the fuel scoop and FSD chosen.

• Locked thread