Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Eye dude just lost some points in my book for apprecaiting being mean to people.
The new art style is, however, good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God drat it, the current chapter of Gunnerkrigg Court is absolutely nerve-wracking. It's dived right into a major plot point that has been on the agenda for years, and it's so tense you could hear a pin drop. Every page in the series has had an author comment, but there are none this chapter. It's a real return to form.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wonder how long it'll be before I can roll up to a con and throw a few hundred pounds in fivers at Tom in exchange for a complete print box set.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

God drat it, the current chapter of Gunnerkrigg Court is absolutely nerve-wracking. It's dived right into a major plot point that has been on the agenda for years, and it's so tense you could hear a pin drop. Every page in the series has had an author comment, but there are none this chapter. It's a real return to form.

Same, though I absolutely love it when webcomics return to plot like this.

The characters are attempting to defuse a decanter of endless murder, and they all know it. They are both the same people and very much not as when they first encountered this threat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wonder how long it'll be before I can roll up to a con and throw a few hundred pounds in fivers at Tom in exchange for a complete print box set.

After today's episode because everyone dies.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
but what I really want to learn more about is how sad Annie's dad makes her feel

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

but what I really want to learn more about is how sad Annie's dad makes her feel

like, SUPER sad

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Annie is trapped in a castle.... a castle made out of her sad dad feelings

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

18 Character Limit posted:

Same, though I absolutely love it when webcomics return to plot like this. The characters are attempting to defuse a decanter of endless murder, and they all know it.
Defuse is a good word for this clusterfuck.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 25, 2016

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

sad dad feelings
It's pronounced saudade.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Speaking of long story arcs, is Strong Female Protagonist worth getting back into? I followed it to the end of the anti-rapist vigilante issues, which was three times as long as the previous issues due to so many characters monologueing about their personal belief systems before they even started to focus on the main plot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Speaking of long story arcs, is Strong Female Protagonist worth getting back into? I followed it to the end of the anti-rapist vigilante issues, which was three times as long as the previous issues due to so many characters monologueing about their personal belief systems before they even started to focus on the main plot.

It's gotten immeasurably worse since then. Take a look at the thread, even its old fans are just keeping up with it out of morbid fascination more than anything.

e: I'll freely admit that I only noticed it in the first place because of the complaints about that arc you mentioned and just glance at it occasionally to point and laugh.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 25, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr Christmas posted:

Current arc is about the mutants, sorry, "dynamorphic" guys whose superpowers mostly suck (e.g. mutation: dog head, superpower: cannot drink out of a glass anymore) and who are setting up an association to help each other. As a result, you get some extremely awkward scenes that look like a parody of social justice issues, but also to be honest a cool fishing police scene. Also there was a date with Martin Shkreli in the middle for some reason.

Seriously, it's a bad comic.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Dr Christmas posted:

Some bits I like, some bits I don't like. It has continually gotten preachier and more heavy handed, so i'll probably drop it, soon.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Comics tackling issues like rape, transphobia, and racism is pretty cool, especially when it's trying to figure out what superman could actually do to help with that kind of stuff.

The problem with SFP is that it's not clear if they actually have anything of substance to say on these issues. Worse, the execution is so hit or miss that it sometimes feels like a parody of those issues. There was a whole page of a mist person being triggered by the word "body." The resolution of the issue about rape was, "maybe vigilantes should just start killing guys," but dumber than that.

The first few issues were really good and it still has flashes of how great it could be. It's very frustrating to read.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah, looking at those links makes me glad I dropped it during the vigilante arc. Like, how in the gently caress do you set out to make a trans allegory by having your supposedly trans-friendly character asking the loving trans metaphor whether or not they were originally a woman. It boggles the loving mind. "Listen, I have trans friends too, but if you were born with a dick I don't care how many titties you grow you can't come into our woman club." It's just so over-the-top.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I took that whole scenario as more of an NB/genderfluid thing but what the hell do I know, I'm hopelessly out of touch on stuff like this.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Trying to ram home the metaphor by having a supposedly trans-friendly character tell someone what their gender is based on what sex they were born as is like trying to make the point that black people have it tough by having the local NAACP representative burn a cross in someone's yard. It's dumb as hell.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is the deer girl thing meant to be a trans-friendly character? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I don't remember her turning up before that page.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maybe it's supposed to be commentary on people who don't see the whole breadth of issues that effect people outside of their own well represented circle? There certainly are feminists who turn their nose at trans women.

But the dialog is super bad and I think someone mentioned that it reads like the setup to a troll argument. Last time I saw that comic brought up it was at the beginning of that invisible vigilante arc and those first couple pages were pretty good looking. What happened to the art in... 200 pages?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tenebrais posted:

Is the deer girl thing meant to be a trans-friendly character? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I don't remember her turning up before that page.

She mentions that there were trans women in that very group in the same page. And like someone mentioned in the other thread, there are supposedly progressive people that deny transgendered people from their spaces.

The latest page...doesn't seem like the best way to go about it, but then I legit do not know what would be a good way to go about it. I know the show Transparent had an episode where the main character, a transgendered woman, going to a Feminist music festival and having to deal with all of that there. I never seen it so I don't know well it did that.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 25, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's an insanely dumb comic by people who got their entire grasp of personal struggle and discrimination from Twitter, for the guy who didn't understand the Holocaust was bad until someone photoshopped a My Little Pony into a picture of it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

Current arc is about the mutants, sorry, "dynamorphic" guys whose superpowers mostly suck (e.g. mutation: dog head, superpower: cannot drink out of a glass anymore) and who are setting up an association to help each other. As a result, you get some extremely awkward scenes that look like a parody of social justice issues, but also to be honest a cool fishing police scene. Also there was a date with Martin Shkreli in the middle for some reason.

ahahaha

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't think any of the conclusions Strong Female Protagonist has reached about superheroes in the real world wasn't already approached in a dozen more compelling and insightful ways. Like woaaah guys, did you ever consider how fascist superheros would be if they were real!?!? oh wait yeah etc.

That page also does a great job of showing off some iconic SFP banter which involves everyone dully standing around narrating their feelings in the most detached and clinical way. I genuinely can't tell if they're simply awful writers, or don't trust their audience enough to provide any ambiguity, or are afraid of some massive backlash if they took a complex stand on anything because they all seem equally likely

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My favorite take on fascism in the superhero comic genre from a mainstream series was The Authority, which did a pretty good job showing a bunch of aloof and disaffected jerks loving things up under the assumption that they know best. Much like my favorite video game, Dragon age 2, I am not sure how much it was intentional on the part of the writers. It's all quite dated now of course, I quit long before they went full Armageddon edgy town

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Warren Ellis was definitely taking The Authority to its :siren:REAL WORLD:siren: conclusion but at least it had fun along the way! no one in SFP seems to ever have any fun

except this guy, he's cool:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Warren Ellis was definitely taking The Authority to its :siren:REAL WORLD:siren: conclusion but at least it had fun along the way! no one in SFP seems to ever have any fun

except this guy, he's cool:

tag yourself, I'm his eyes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't think any of the conclusions Strong Female Protagonist has reached about superheroes in the real world wasn't already approached in a dozen more compelling and insightful ways. Like woaaah guys, did you ever consider how fascist superheros would be if they were real!?!? oh wait yeah etc.

That page also does a great job of showing off some iconic SFP banter which involves everyone dully standing around narrating their feelings in the most detached and clinical way. I genuinely can't tell if they're simply awful writers, or don't trust their audience enough to provide any ambiguity, or are afraid of some massive backlash if they took a complex stand on anything because they all seem equally likely

I'll never get tired of the hardboiled war criminal rapist murderer talking so incredibly civil and apologizing beforehand for having an opinion on vigilante killings.

SFP is basically bad by this point, and I only read it anymore to complain.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I still have hope that the ship can be righted, but we'll see. I feel like, especially in the first few story arcs, the comic was trying to come at it from a different angle than some of the grittier 90s versions of that story did; it's not a horrifying grimdark totalitarian world, it's basically this world with superheroes. Hell, one of the earlier plots revolves around the fact that the heroes basically already won; it turns out most people didn't want to be villains. They were vastly outnumbered and are now mostly in prisons or dead. So the question being asked is more like "what do you do with superpowers now that the comic-book battles are pretty much over".

I'd also double my usual recommendation against hate-reading comics here. This one isn't likely to produce the kind of excesses of brazen stupidity that can occasionally make that activity fun, it's just in a slump where a series of things it has attempted have missed their mark and produced an incoherent result. If you're not enjoying it, just abandon the silly thing; someone will doubtless post in its thread, or this one, if it actually gets back to a good place again.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You know that people can derive amusement from looking at dumb/bad things without it completely destroying their lives or turning their minds into a toxic waste dump right? For instance I don't actively read SFP anymore but it's hard not to stop and go "hahaha... man" when discussion of something you used to enjoy makes you check back in and you find out its slid into an even deeper mess :shrug:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Nuns with Guns posted:

You know that people can derive amusement from looking at dumb/bad things without it completely destroying their lives or turning their minds into a toxic waste dump right?

One the one hand, this seems plausible. On the other hand, every mock thread this forum has ever had.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuDSK8VhDPY&t=75s

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are many great webcomics that only update once in a blue moon.

This is one of them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The other KeyboardGoop.jpg

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'd also double my usual recommendation against hate-reading comics here. This one isn't likely to produce the kind of excesses of brazen stupidity that can occasionally make that activity fun, it's just in a slump where a series of things it has attempted have missed their mark and produced an incoherent result. If you're not enjoying it, just abandon the silly thing; someone will doubtless post in its thread, or this one, if it actually gets back to a good place again.

The comic came to the conclusion that kidnapping and torturing a, relatively, innocent person was a-okay because a vigilante suspected him of rape. Also that being a serial murderer is completely fine and morally correct if the people you murder are bad and the protagonist was in the wrong for trying to stop the killer. It is a trainwreck.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are many great webcomics that only update once in a blue moon.

This is one of them.

Never before have I related so much to a comic.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Nuebot posted:

The comic came to the conclusion that kidnapping and torturing a, relatively, innocent person was a-okay because a vigilante suspected him of rape. Also that being a serial murderer is completely fine and morally correct if the people you murder are bad and the protagonist was in the wrong for trying to stop the killer. It is a trainwreck.

It didn't actually come to that conclusion, or even anything close to it. If you want to get into it at that level, though, we might want to move it to the dedicated thread.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

You know that people can derive amusement from looking at dumb/bad things without it completely destroying their lives or turning their minds into a toxic waste dump right? For instance I don't actively read SFP anymore but it's hard not to stop and go "hahaha... man" when discussion of something you used to enjoy makes you check back in and you find out its slid into an even deeper mess :shrug:

people can but I think there is bountiful evidence that goons cannot, especially when their posts about the thing are universally humorless, and the ones claiming they're totally normal people having harmless fun and it is everyone else who is the weirdo always actually have like a Doobie hate shrine or lost their day job because they stayed home to do loss edits all day

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think I'm getting multiple webcomics confused again, is Strong Female Protagonist the one about someone whose sister is a famous superhero and I think has black and white drawings? And if it is, I'm guessing the plot drifted a lot since then.

As someone whose only exposure to it is what's been linked, I thought the art is surprisingly good, but the dialogue is distinctly in that "not trying to write a character anymore" territory.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People seem to like to make up things about SFP, or willfully misinterpret plot points, so they can safely bitch about SJW's or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just stopped following it when it looked like they were fumbling the ball during their most divisive plot arc. They didn't even follow up on big and potentially interesting consequences for something as catastrophic as "blew up a dam and flooded an entire valley."

• Locked thread