Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Likely a dumb question, but is there any sort of web based client to access hyper-v console sessions on 2012 R2? I know other virtualization technologies support VNC console access like this (qemu-kvm over html5). Or do I have to look into some sort of Azure thing to do this?

Edit: We do have systemcenter but I'm not 100% on all the parts of that, just the webdev.

poxin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Gotchu fam

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831611%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

poxin posted:

Likely a dumb question, but is there any sort of web based client to access hyper-v console sessions on 2012 R2? I know other virtualization technologies support VNC console access like this (qemu-kvm over html5). Or do I have to look into some sort of Azure thing to do this?

Edit: We do have systemcenter but I'm not 100% on all the parts of that, just the webdev.

App Controller used to be the go to for Web Based access to VMs and VM Consoles. Not sure if it's still the right tool for the job but it's work checking into.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Zaepho posted:

App Controller used to be the go to for Web Based access to VMs and VM Consoles. Not sure if it's still the right tool for the job but it's work checking into.

Yeah I think that requires silverlight or something stupid

Seems cool, but not really RDP?

poxin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 16, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looks like individual patches are going away on Windows 7/8/2008 etc for rollups like Windows 10

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/08/15/monthly-update-model-for-windows-7.aspx

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

GreenNight posted:

Looks like individual patches are going away on Windows 7/8/2008 etc for rollups like Windows 10

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/08/15/monthly-update-model-for-windows-7.aspx

This new model also apparently applies to Server 2012 R2, Server 2012 and Server 2008 R2. :suicide:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I mean it simplifies things, so you know which month you stopped patching because they backported or decided to enforce a (vista-era) fundamental security function.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So if when they gently caress up a single update, we have to roll back the whole month now? :|

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe we'll see more reliab.... AHaha no, who am I kidding?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Has anyone been involved in rolling out ticketing/documentation software to a more general audience, not just IT? We are undergoing some management changes at my small company and we are considering having the administrative staff (Accounting, Billing, HR) run in a more organized fashion. We've looked at ZenDesk and JIRA, but both seem to have their flaws. ZenDesk doesn't really do sub-tickets or sub-tasks, making things like a new hire ticket that creates sub-tickets for the other departments, kind of difficult. JIRA seems like it could fit the bill, but the learning curve and time to implement seem somewhat daunting for us. On the documentation side, we are just looking to allow departments to better document their processes and share that knowledge with other departments. I have used Confluence extensively in the past and I am sure that would fit the bill, but so would ZenDesk's knowledge base or whatever.

Anyone been through this and have some thoughts?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd look at the problem you're trying to solve. So in the new hire process you can have something like Okta handle account creation based on a new user being added in Workday, and then have the information in the HR record populate AD. I have no idea if your company is big enough for that to be something worth having.

Rather than looking for a single product to do all of this, you could have a service like Zendesk handle all of your support ticketing, and then integrate with Asana if you decide a ticket is going to become a project - I'd assume you can also trigger Asana task creation based on Zendesk rules and macros but I haven't really looked into it too much. Obviously this pushes your monthly spend up on SaaS but that's sort of the new normal since every product does about 80% of what you need it for but hey look if you pay the same again to a third party you can get that up to 95%!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Has anyone been involved in rolling out ticketing/documentation software to a more general audience, not just IT? We are undergoing some management changes at my small company and we are considering having the administrative staff (Accounting, Billing, HR) run in a more organized fashion. We've looked at ZenDesk and JIRA, but both seem to have their flaws. ZenDesk doesn't really do sub-tickets or sub-tasks, making things like a new hire ticket that creates sub-tickets for the other departments, kind of difficult. JIRA seems like it could fit the bill, but the learning curve and time to implement seem somewhat daunting for us. On the documentation side, we are just looking to allow departments to better document their processes and share that knowledge with other departments. I have used Confluence extensively in the past and I am sure that would fit the bill, but so would ZenDesk's knowledge base or whatever.

I'm kind of obsessed with ServiceNow for this - however, it can get pricey so it's really only a good solution if you're a reasonably sized company that can invest in a developer or willing to pay a consultant to do it on a per-project basis.

JIRA is flat out bad for this, even with the Service Desk module. For all that Atlassian is trying to push it as a general purpose solution, it's still fundamentally a bug & release tracker at heart and the architecture reflects this.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

I will second the comments that you need an actual Service Management system for this. A Ticket system is not Service Management. Service management should include at minimum:
  • Incident Management - Something is broken
  • Problem Management - Known Widespread/Persistent issues (Something's been broke for a long time or affected LOTS of people)
  • Service Requests Management - I need a new thing! This is where your new hire process goes. This should include Workflow capabilities, at least from a Process level but ideally with the ability to provide or hook into Process Automation
  • Change Management - Hey! We're going to break something!
  • Knowledge Management - Here's how to do that thing you wanted to do or fix that thing that's broken

This pieces really make up the bulk of whats needed to manage services provided to end users whether those services are IT services or Business services.

ITSM (assuming this one is still around and not as much of a flaming pike of crap as it was 10 years ago), Service Now (pretty much the go to as far as I have seen in the Enterprise space) and System Center Service Manager (oh god don't use this, you will hate yourself) are all examples of this stuff

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My computer forgot what PSExec is maybe 30 seconds after I last used it. Is this a known problem? It's happened twice, I think it's falling off the path system variable. It's really annoying.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My computer forgot what PSExec is maybe 30 seconds after I last used it. Is this a known problem? It's happened twice, I think it's falling off the path system variable. It's really annoying.

That sounds like it could be anti-virus. A lot of them begrudge PSexec's existence because it can be used to execute a hacker's elevated command.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That might be. It's been maybe a week or two. Is Trendmicro one of them?

Maybe I should make a script to add PSExec to the path variable so I can use PSExec while making scripts :v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:siren: ITS HAPPENING :siren:

https://ifap.ed.gov/dpcletters/GEN1612.html

quote:

Dear Colleague:

Both public and private sector organizations are dedicating significant attention and resources to addressing evolving cybersecurity threats. Postsecondary educational institutions entrusted with student financial aid information are continuing to develop ways to address cybersecurity threats and to strengthen their cybersecurity infrastructure.

To support those efforts, we remind institutions that:

Under their Program Participation Agreement (PPA) and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (15 U.S. Code § 6801), they must protect student financial aid information, with particular attention to information provided to institutions by the Department of Education or otherwise obtained in support of the administration of the Title IV Federal student financial aid programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act, as amended (the HEA). Summary information about the GLBA requirements is provided later in this letter; and

Under their Student Aid Internet Gateway (SAIG) Enrollment Agreement, they “[m]ust ensure that all users are aware of and comply with all of the requirements to protect and secure data from Departmental sources using SAIG.”

We also advise institutions that important information related to cybersecurity protection is included in the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication 800-171 (NIST SP 800-171). Specifically, the NIST SP 800-171 identifies recommended requirements for ensuring the appropriate long-term security of certain Federal information in the possession of institutions. More information about the NIST standard is provided later in this letter.

TL;DR a large amount of student data now has security requirements that, in much of the generally-awful EDU IT / Info Security space, is waaaaaaaay above their current level of capabilities.

I am debating creating a compliance thread here and seeing if it goes anywhere -- I have a lot of experience with 800-171 CUI and ITAR/EAR topics in IT, but would really like to bounce ideas off others in a non-committal environment like SA.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 17, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

TL;DR a large amount of student data now has security requirements that, in much of the generally-awful EDU IT / Info Security space, is waaaaaaaay above their current level of capabilities.

I am debating creating a compliance thread here and seeing if it goes anywhere -- I have a lot of experience with 800-171 CUI and ITAR/EAR topics in IT, but would really like to bounce ideas off others in a non-committal environment like SA.

drat, if nothing else, that's gonna be a huge market for managed security/audit vendors, TONS of folks get federal aid dollars.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

I'm shocked that there's an "ifap.ed.gov" domain.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

anthonypants posted:

I'm shocked that there's an "ifap.ed.gov" domain.

The best.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I thought the domain was some sort of joke URL shortener and then I saw the .gov on the end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for the feedback regarding "Service Management" for not IT folks. Still struggling to find a solution for us, but I've broadened my search a bit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone have experience installing Microsoft Dynamics AX? I'm installing on one computer, and it's been doing the first checking for updates step for going on 3 hours now. Has anyone seen that happening?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So, we changed our company name and added the new domain on O365 Exchange, and now emails from the new domain are getting flagged as spam for some companies we normally converse with. I'm assuming this is because it's just new so some spam filters don't trust it yet.

Is there a quick-and-dirty workaround for this? Microsoft told me I can just make a shared folder with the old SMTP email domain and people can send emails from there, but when I click that shared mailbox and send an email, it still sends from the new name.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

uh, did you fix your spf for the new domains?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SPF, DKIM will go a long way to helping you. What does the actual bounce message say?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

SPF, DKIM will go a long way to helping you. What does the actual bounce message say?

O365 wouldn't even let us add the new domain without verifying the SPF records were set exactly as they require. I can double-check the DKIM.

The bounce messages are things like:

code:
Error Details
Reported error:	550 5.0.350 Remote server returned an error -> 553 Message filtered. Refer to the Troubleshooting page at;[url]http://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting[/url] for more;information. (#5.7.1)
DSN generated by:	SN1PR90282318.namprd07.prod.outlook.com
Remote server:	server-8.tower-127.messagelabs.com
We don't use Symantec Cloud, so I guess the receiving end just has the filters cranked way up in this instance.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I like how http://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting redirects to https://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting, which is an error about how the domain https://www.symanteccloud.com doesn't match their ssl cert. I don't think this is going to be on your end.

e: And after that SSL cert error it's a "Service Unavailable - DNS failure" error from Akamai.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 17, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

remember, SPF relies on TLD propagation. I'd check mxtoolbox and a few other DNS sites to make sure it populated.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Went through it with Microsoft; long story short we did everything correctly, I'm having to just track down the spam companies on the other end and find their "false positives submissions" email address, send the bounced message to them, and they update it.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
What do you guys do with laptops and redirected folders?

We redirect the desktop and the documents folder to the network. 4 or 5 years ago, we rolled out Windows 7 laptops for the teachers. We found that offline files was pretty much hit or miss and we ended up using a custom sync script with synctoy (when they log in to a laptop, there's a GPO that disables folder redirection and starts the sync with their folder on the network.)

This has been working pretty well, but it's a bit hackish. I was wondering if offline files has been improved in Windows 10, if not, what other solutions are there?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn265974(v=ws.11).aspx

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Interesting! We're actually migrating our file server to 2012 R2, so I'll be testing work folders very soon.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

pofcorn posted:

What do you guys do with laptops and redirected folders?

We redirect the desktop and the documents folder to the network. 4 or 5 years ago, we rolled out Windows 7 laptops for the teachers. We found that offline files was pretty much hit or miss and we ended up using a custom sync script with synctoy (when they log in to a laptop, there's a GPO that disables folder redirection and starts the sync with their folder on the network.)

This has been working pretty well, but it's a bit hackish. I was wondering if offline files has been improved in Windows 10, if not, what other solutions are there?

One thing I found that pretty much solved all of our issues with Offline Files is to specify a automatic conflict resolution policy... http://stealthpuppy.com/configuring-an-automatic-resolution-policy-for-offline-files-in-windows-7/

I used option 4; keep the newest version. Anytime a sync is started, this automatic policy will apply. I did discover however that if there were any unresolved conflicts prior to setting this policy, those will still need to be resolved manually. Any future conflicts follow the selected policy.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
uh brb immediately applying that to the folder redirection GPO.

Also i'm glad I know what i'm doing when it comes to Active Directory, I've been doing a bunch of domain controller adds/changes all day long with no impact.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

stevewm posted:

One thing I found that pretty much solved all of our issues with Offline Files is to specify a automatic conflict resolution policy... http://stealthpuppy.com/configuring-an-automatic-resolution-policy-for-offline-files-in-windows-7/

I used option 4; keep the newest version. Anytime a sync is started, this automatic policy will apply. I did discover however that if there were any unresolved conflicts prior to setting this policy, those will still need to be resolved manually. Any future conflicts follow the selected policy.

This is seriously great. Thank you for posting it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Editing HKEY_CURRENT_USER is just going to change settings for the currently logging user, right? You would have to change local machine to change the settings for everyone on the computer?

E: yep, seems like it. The consultant told us that what we were doing wasn't going to work right because it only changes the settings for one account. Then he says the better way is to edit the registry for each account that might use the computer, when we could do the same thing with the method we were already using without touching the registry.

On top of that, our security makes that impossible because we're not letting normal accounts edit the registry.

He's also saying everything is saved on the current user account when there are identical local machine keys, and the initial install was machine-wide.

Goddamn am I tired of these people.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 25, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

HKCU is indeed linked to the user who is currently logged in. You can limit access to RegEdit, but you cannot limit access to HKCU and have programs still work properly. HKCU is where any setting that doesn't reside in a .config or .ini file exists for a user.

HKLM is the registry for that machine. Generally, this is locked down so that only administrators can edit it. You CAN give normal users rights to keys in HKLM if you absolutely need to.

How software uses those keys and what keys need to be edited depends on the software. Very generally speaking - a key for a setting will only exist in HKCU or HKLM, depending on if the software expects the user to be able to change the setting or not. Again, generally speaking, if there is a key in both places HKLM exists to serve as the "default" and HKCU exists to allow the users to set their own setting, so if the key exists in both places HKCU will win.

A very useful method to figuring out how registry keys are impacted when you make a change in the UI is to use something like RegShot. It will allow you to run a "first pass" which records registry settings, then you make your change, then run a "second pass" and it will tell you the differences. Try to make small changes at a time so you can more easily see the impact. It can also monitor folders and files to look for changes in other places, like AppData, ProgramData, or (ugh) Program Files.

Learning how to dictate (or set a preference on) user settings is super useful and something every Windows admin should know. It starts becoming really important when you deal with rolling out software, especially on things like RDS or Citrix.

Also, I think we've had this conversation before, but this is what Group Policy exists for. If you aren't going to get access to it, tell them to either give you the tools to do your job or stop asking you to do poo poo you don't have the proper access to do.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Editing HKEY_CURRENT_USER is just going to change settings for the currently logging user, right? You would have to change local machine to change the settings for everyone on the computer?

E: yep, seems like it. The consultant told us that what we were doing wasn't going to work right because it only changes the settings for one account. Then he says the better way is to edit the registry for each account that might use the computer, when we could do the same thing with the method we were already using without touching the registry.

On top of that, our security makes that impossible because we're not letting normal accounts edit the registry.

He's also saying everything is saved on the current user account when there are identical local machine keys, and the initial install was machine-wide.

Goddamn am I tired of these people.

Group Policy can edit registry settings for each user that logs into a machine. Might be worth looking at for cases where things really are only in local user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

HKCU is indeed linked to the user who is currently logged in. You can limit access to RegEdit, but you cannot limit access to HKCU and have programs still work properly. HKCU is where any setting that doesn't reside in a .config or .ini file exists for a user.

HKLM is the registry for that machine. Generally, this is locked down so that only administrators can edit it. You CAN give normal users rights to keys in HKLM if you absolutely need to.

How software uses those keys and what keys need to be edited depends on the software. Very generally speaking - a key for a setting will only exist in HKCU or HKLM, depending on if the software expects the user to be able to change the setting or not. Again, generally speaking, if there is a key in both places HKLM exists to serve as the "default" and HKCU exists to allow the users to set their own setting, so if the key exists in both places HKCU will win.

A very useful method to figuring out how registry keys are impacted when you make a change in the UI is to use something like RegShot. It will allow you to run a "first pass" which records registry settings, then you make your change, then run a "second pass" and it will tell you the differences. Try to make small changes at a time so you can more easily see the impact. It can also monitor folders and files to look for changes in other places, like AppData, ProgramData, or (ugh) Program Files.

Learning how to dictate (or set a preference on) user settings is super useful and something every Windows admin should know. It starts becoming really important when you deal with rolling out software, especially on things like RDS or Citrix.

Also, I think we've had this conversation before, but this is what Group Policy exists for. If you aren't going to get access to it, tell them to either give you the tools to do your job or stop asking you to do poo poo you don't have the proper access to do.

Nah let's just manage our domain by doing edits on EVERY loving MACHINE.