Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Which portrait packs are worth getting? I understand some of them are awful but I'm sick of seeing whitey fat face guy everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Goofballs posted:

Which portrait packs are worth getting? I understand some of them are awful but I'm sick of seeing whitey fat face guy everywhere

They're all pretty good now since they redid the Mediterranean portraits.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I really like this continue your game button on the launcher a lot

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'm hoping to get the doctor, who can beat rear end cancer, this weekend when I give it a whirl...but knowing my luck it'll probably be a series of quacks mutilating me.

Still, those are always the most hilarious ones in the end. Is it possible to become one-armed, one-legged AND one-eyed? Basically a halfway Black Knight from The Holy Grail?

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Goofballs posted:

I think they all are pretty good. I didn't even dislike the old mediterranean portraits everyone hated. I still have them enabled through my own mod.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

excellent expansion, now to wait a month for my favorite mods to catch up! :downs:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking about getting back into this again, after a while gone. Are there any good guides/overviews I can use to quickly catch up or good starter locations that aren't as boring as Ireland?

Also, are horse archers (still) bad? I remember hearing that they got hit hard a year or two back and I don't know if that changed. More generally, what's important to know about army stuff if I want to do more than just have bigger numbers and not attack over rivers without getting into the extremely detailed stuff?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Any good achievements to go for coming back? I don't think I have any of the major ones since I've almost always played with mods that disable them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Any good achievements to go for coming back? I don't think I have any of the major ones since I've almost always played with mods that disable them.

769 start, reform the roman empire, end the schism, reconquer the old imperial borders, own all the holy cities, beat the aztecs, be at war with the aztecs and mongols at the same time, hold mongolia as a non-mongol.

:getin:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Before the 2.6 patch rolled out, I had to add something like "zz_" to the front of localisation files meant to overwrite vanilla localisation entries. After 2.6 rolled out, they stopped working, and I ended up switching the "zz_" prefix to "00_" and then it all started working again.

Did some internal load order thing in the game get changed around? I swear there was even an earlier time when I had to use 00_ to make sure an overwrite entry was read and used, but then it stopped working and I had to switch to zz_.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CrazyLoon posted:

Still, those are always the most hilarious ones in the end. Is it possible to become one-armed, one-legged AND one-eyed? Basically a halfway Black Knight from The Holy Grail?

Yes, and you can even get an achievement for it.

I haven't touched this game since April but I swear, between the new DLC features and the patch changes (by all reports the speedup in 2.6 is incredible) I'm actually hyped to get home from work and...work on the CK2+ compatibility patch. :arghfist:

Honky Dong Country posted:

Anybody have any ideas how I can make this happen? I mean if I didn't have the empire, and made a custom empire out of Israel it'd be the Empire of Israel and have that blue, right? I've never done a custom empire.

E: I should clarify that I'm not above console fuckery here, but I've never used it so I'll need instructions.

Yes, if you didn't have the empire then a custom empire you create will get the name and colours of the kingdom you make it from. But there isn't a console command to destroy titles ("give_title e_abyssinia 0" or "titleowner e_abyssinia 0" MIGHT work but I make no promises) so you'd probably be stuck with reloading an earlier save or using the Customization DLC if you have it.

You could also edit the save file to remove your current empire title but that runs the risk of breaking a lot of things unless you're very painstaking with it and fix almost every single reference to e_abyssinia in the save to point to your new primary title.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 25, 2016

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Roland Jones posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into this again, after a while gone. Are there any good guides/overviews I can use to quickly catch up or good starter locations that aren't as boring as Ireland?

Also, are horse archers (still) bad? I remember hearing that they got hit hard a year or two back and I don't know if that changed. More generally, what's important to know about army stuff if I want to do more than just have bigger numbers and not attack over rivers without getting into the extremely detailed stuff?

I just asked this, in the meantime I've been watching youtubes by some guy named Arumba, but it's probably way too remedial for you.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: Bring Out Your Dead

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Have we learned anything more about that mechanic that lets you add holding slots to a county yet

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Before the 2.6 patch rolled out, I had to add something like "zz_" to the front of localisation files meant to overwrite vanilla localisation entries. After 2.6 rolled out, they stopped working, and I ended up switching the "zz_" prefix to "00_" and then it all started working again.

Did some internal load order thing in the game get changed around? I swear there was even an earlier time when I had to use 00_ to make sure an overwrite entry was read and used, but then it stopped working and I had to switch to zz_.

Yes, I had exactly the same problem! Solved the same way.

Edit: I imagine this patch note has something to do with it:
- Fixed an issue for mods trying to remove localisation from the base game's localisation.

zebez fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 25, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Welp, I took all of Jerusalem, built the third temple, established Israel, and restored the high priesthood. Islam is now completely shattered, with moral authority below 30% and Judaism's at 81%. The only downside is Israel is a kingdom, not an empire, so I still see Abyssinian brown instead of that pretty bright Israeli blue. I wish I could destroy my empire title and form a custom one after setting Israel to my primary but you can't destroy your primary title and I can't switch away from my primary title because it's Empire-level. drat it I wanted that awesome blue all over the place.

Anybody have any ideas how I can make this happen? I mean if I didn't have the empire, and made a custom empire out of Israel it'd be the Empire of Israel and have that blue, right? I've never done a custom empire.

E: I should clarify that I'm not above console fuckery here, but I've never used it so I'll need instructions.

Give the empire title to some pissant vassal. Declare war for independence.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008
So someone earlier asked about my mod to increase the decisions window from 4 to 6 available slots.

Here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751790075

It shouldn't interfere with ironman or anything as it dosen't affect gameplay.

zebez fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 25, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

axeil posted:

769 start, reform the roman empire, end the schism, reconquer the old imperial borders, own all the holy cities, beat the aztecs, be at war with the aztecs and mongols at the same time, hold mongolia as a non-mongol.

:getin:

'Aight let's go. Emperor Basileus it is.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Volkerball posted:

Have we learned anything more about that mechanic that lets you add holding slots to a county yet

Woah, woah, woah! What?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fintilgin posted:

Woah, woah, woah! What?

supposedly it was mentioned in a dev diary. something to do with prosperity. i never saw it though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I figured out the empire destruction. Via console fuckery I gave the title to the Caliph, who already had the Arabian empire as his primary and then had him destroy it. Then gave my old king titles back to me and granted my guy independence. It's gamey and a pain in the rear end but I want my Israel primary drat it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

stewardship focus event?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What the gently caress is up with the new EULA? Specifically, part 5. I read through the awfully formatted link it mentions and uhh, while the EULA makes it sounds like you're monitoring my game, the website makes it not sound like that??

Are you spying on me adding the "Eunuch" trait to every karling on the planet or not Paradox???

Volkerball posted:

supposedly it was mentioned in a dev diary. something to do with prosperity. i never saw it though.
Oh yeah and reclaim land is in the uhhh "rip_prosperity_events" file, looks like you have to have it on crown focus, prosperity modifier 3 and it has a MTTH of 65 years, shortened by having high stewardship, learning, having a "smart" trait (shrewd, quick or genius), the lifestyle traits Admin, Architect, Scholar or Gardener, Diligent and a Master level education.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh yeah and reclaim land is in the uhhh "rip_prosperity_events" file, looks like you have to have it on crown focus, prosperity modifier 3 and it has a MTTH of 65 years, shortened by having high stewardship, learning, having a "smart" trait (shrewd, quick or genius), the lifestyle traits Admin, Architect, Scholar or Gardener, Diligent and a Master level education.

fuuuck i'm not sure if you could really gameplan around that. why can't i just develop the land whenever i want for like 5,000 gold. :(

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Did medievals even know what cancer was

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

If you google it: "Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt
and dates back to about 3000 BC." so I would guess yes at least in some form.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Huge weird blob that's not supposed to be there.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So I think I had the immortal event chain? Ended with my ruler drink poison and die for reasons, I think?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

zebez posted:

If you google it: "Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt
and dates back to about 3000 BC." so I would guess yes at least in some form.

Also:
"The word cancer came from a Greek words karkinos to describe carcinoma tumors by a physician Hippocrates (460–370 B.C), but he was not the first to discover this disease. Some of the earliest evidence of human bone cancer was found in mummies in ancient Egypt and in ancient manuscripts dates about 1600 B.C."

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

"Yeah we totally knew people had cancer in their butts."
-Ancient Physicians

E: also lmao Ethiopian names rule. My now-Israeli Emperor Getachew II's wife just gave birth to his newest daughter, Princess China of Israel.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 25, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Emperor Getachew
What type is it? Electric?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I usually read it as "ge at choo" like his name is a threat or something but I'm diggin' the pokemans reading too.

Mind you none of these names were put in by me. I always let the game name people on its own.

E: I also once played a Venice run where I had all my kids education in Denmark by norse pagans and ended up with a Doge Giovanni Giovannisson once.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 25, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The optimization really came through. :dance:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

zebez posted:

So someone earlier asked about my mod to increase the decisions window from 4 to 6 available slots.

Here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751790075

It shouldn't interfere with ironman or anything as it dosen't affect gameplay.

This is brilliant, thank you! :tipshat:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The optimization really came through. :dance:

Oh my goddddd yesssss

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm getting majorly torn between my fun Britannia game on the old patch and starting anew with The Reaper's Due hrrrrng

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

fuuuck i'm not sure if you could really gameplan around that. why can't i just develop the land whenever i want for like 5,000 gold. :(
You have to try and stay at peace, be at least a duke and pick the crown focus on your capital, steal tech and pick stewardship while building a hospital looks like.

or just run "event RIP.11705" ~

edit

Holy poo poo everyone is dying constantly

I'm seriously considering restarting and trying it with plagues on deadly, seeing as just the normal thing is causing remorseless death all around

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 25, 2016

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
The optimisations are incredible. I loaded up my chunkiest save game (traits are messed up because of mods), and it runs smoothly now.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: I Beat rear end Cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Welp. I'm now scrabbling around and trying to find out why the game thinks the user checksum or whatever has been modified, so I can do ironman. No mods, not since the ckean install I had to do to make it run after horse lords, and I'm validating files now.

Man I just wanna see if I can do full 769 game :(

• Locked thread