Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'd like to offer the perhaps controversial suggestion that naruto is, in fact, good

and as we know, anime is good, so therefore naruto anime must be good. QED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If there was a Naruto Shippuden Kai that dropped all the filler (and I mean ALL of it), it would be pretty good.

I think that's why people were recommending the recent video game?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Freakazoid_ posted:

If there was a Naruto Shippuden Kai that dropped all the filler (and I mean ALL of it), it would be pretty good.

I think that's why people were recommending the recent video game?
The second PS3 game (Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2) covers the start of Shippuden all the way through the end of the Pain arc and cuts out any story filler (aside from natural videogame filler like fetch quests and crap). That's arguably the only part of the series that has a good plot anyway.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

JazzFlight posted:

The second PS3 game (Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2) covers the start of Shippuden all the way through the end of the Pain arc and cuts out any story filler (aside from natural video-game filler like fetch quests and crap). That's arguably the only part of the series that has a good plot anyway.

Which is the one with Robo Naruto?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pyrotoad posted:

Which is the one with Robo Naruto?
That's Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (doesn't have a number).
That's essentially FILLER: THE GAME. Just something to put out to add a few characters that weren't in the last game but without having enough progression in the show to make a game with a full story adaptation.

They had a similar filler between games 2 and 3 called Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations.

...and of course I bought all of them, wanna fight about it?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yes but do any of the games have...THE DEMON WIG?

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
I just went to Mecha-Naruto's Narutowiki page and found out that Orochimaru created it.

I bet in this world Orochimaru also invented the laptops and skyscrapers. He's ninja Steve Jobs.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Since last post and now there have been a few filler episodes and Guy opening up all the gates! :black101: That poo poo was loving awesome, and now we are nearing the back end of the final arc. Next week is a filler ep though so they are really padding this poo poo out.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 30, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Guy officially has the most :black101: fight scene ever.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Eh, after all this time, only the tail end of the Gates bit seemed all that well done---I was expecting more of a dramatic, one at a time buildup in the first place as opposed to just starting at 7 with relatively little fanfare. That said, the finale of it this episode was awesome enough to pretty well carry the rest!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Eh, after all this time, only the tail end of the Gates bit seemed all that well done---I was expecting more of a dramatic, one at a time buildup in the first place as opposed to just starting at 7 with relatively little fanfare. That said, the finale of it this episode was awesome enough to pretty well carry the rest!
I just feel like watching the canon content drip out like this in-between long flashbacks of filler material drains all the tension and weight of major fight scenes. Every few weeks you have to think back and say, "Wait, what's going on? Where are we in this fight?" I didn't really feel anything from Guy's attack, especially knowing that it certainly wouldn't do anything to Madara.

This is a garbage show and I want it to be over now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I just feel like watching the canon content drip out like this in-between long flashbacks of filler material drains all the tension and weight of major fight scenes. Every few weeks you have to think back and say, "Wait, what's going on? Where are we in this fight?" I didn't really feel anything from Guy's attack, especially knowing that it certainly wouldn't do anything to Madara.

This is a garbage show and I want it to be over now.

Unfortunately, the show is popular and they seem to want to drag it out as long as possible, hence the reason why we're still getting filler long after the manga is over.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make a sequel series afterward without much involvement from its creator similar to what they did with Dragon Ball way back when. Granted, GT was terrible but I doubt that'd stop them from trying.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Larryb posted:

Unfortunately, the show is popular and they seem to want to drag it out as long as possible, hence the reason why we're still getting filler long after the manga is over.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make a sequel series afterward without much involvement from its creator similar to what they did with Dragon Ball way back when. Granted, GT was terrible but I doubt that'd stop them from trying.

I'm like 80% sure the big announcement they are making before the Boruto Movie launches is that they are going to be making a full time Boruto anime with maybe some story outlines from Kishimoto.

Kinda like what Toriyama is doing with Super.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
426 is out, the infinite tsukoyomi has started, and indeed were getting filler.

Well, at least the next episode looks like it'll be a tenten episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While a filler arc, today's episodes were actually kind of neat in that they revolved around Tenten being trapped in the world from the Road To Ninja movie, this time including alternate versions of Naruto/Menma and Sakura as well. Is this the first time one of the Naruto movies was actually referenced in the series?

We'll probably be getting these little dream episodes for a while at least, next up seems to be a Killer Bee focused arc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 3, 2015

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
The killer bee fillers were fun. Those were worth watching. But now poo poo is going downhill fast.

Just saw 431, which was loving horrible. It's karins whole backstory, where she gets bit by hurt ninjas, and then screaming loudly over and over and over and over and over and over again. I watched the whole ep at like 20% volume because most of it is karin screaming. Not really sure how that was her infinite tsukoyomi dream.

And from the preview, the next couple of episodes are going to be a loving recap. It was all old footage from the loving start of naruto. I guess all the animators are on vacation or something.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Just saw 'the Last' movie. I know the writers have an obsession with eyeballs but that got a bit ridiculous

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

Ireland Sucks posted:

Just saw 'the Last' movie. I know the writers have an obsession with eyeballs but that got a bit ridiculous

The filler continues, and I just notice that you can now rent or buy the The Last movie on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/439650

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
drat, I was just about to do a lazy Saturday marathon catch up having left off at about episode 426, when I realized we were still in filler at episode 453. Anyone watch the recent Tsunade Dream World Arc that just ended? I read a little bit of it and it sounded like it might've been halfway decent.

I need to find some other anime to watch. A friend recommended the following:

One Punch Man
Tokyo Ghoul
Blue Exorcist
7 Deadly Sins
Gangsta

These any good?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 20, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
One Punch Man is a must, no question.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, I was just about to do a lazy Saturday marathon catch up having left off at about episode 426, when I realized we were still in filler at episode 453. Anyone watch the recent Tsunade Dream World Arc that just ended? I read a little bit of it and it sounded like it might've been halfway decent.

I need to find some other anime to watch. A friend recommended the following:

One Punch Man
Tokyo Ghoul
Blue Exorcist
7 Deadly Sins
Gangsta

These any good?

One Punch Man is fantastic, the rest is optional depending on taste.

Tokyo Ghoul (IMO) Sucks, Gangsta is good for like 4 episodes, 7 Deadly Sins is alright if you like shonen, never watched Blue Exorcist.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Cool thanks, guys

Also, I just wanted to say that I agree with a lot of other folks that the Pain arc feels like the best natural ending to the show for a lot of reasons: We get what is probably the definitive discussion on one of the major themes in the show; how to avoid conflict given individual human being's inability to understand one another. Naruto and Pain's debate on this, both on the battlefield and in the cave, is for me, some of the best writing on the show. We get the student succeeding the master. And we finally get the town accepting Naruto. When it all came together like that it really felt like the perfect ending.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
So for a change i checked the naruto anime to check if fillertown was over yet.

And it was, well 458 starts with 1/3rd of sasuke recap, but then actually goes back into canon. Kaguya actually shows up at the end of the ep.

Next episode preview looks like canon as well. Might we be getting to the end of the naruto anime finally?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can't believe the show is still going this long after the manga finished.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I wonder what level of ratings it's pulling in?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I took a peek at wikipedia and there is a manga set after shippuuden.

I want to believe this anime will be over with... but I think we all know it'll never really end.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Remember how i speculated we might get into canon until the end of the anime series? Man was i foolish. 460 was the start of an arc about kaguya's history. It's not really filler as its backstory we never had in the manga, but it ain't canon either.

Are they trying to stretch shippuden to 500 eps or something? If so this will be horrible since i think theres probably less then 10 canon eps left.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

Remember how i speculated we might get into canon until the end of the anime series? Man was i foolish. 460 was the start of an arc about kaguya's history. It's not really filler as its backstory we never had in the manga, but it ain't canon either.

Are they trying to stretch shippuden to 500 eps or something? If so this will be horrible since i think theres probably less then 10 canon eps left.

I haven't watched the anime in a long time, but I might actually watch this. Kaguya's complete lack of backstory prior to arriving on the ninja planet in the manga was one of the big problems with her (though I haven't seen The Last or Boruto yet; maybe she gets some backstory there?)

Edit: Started watching the episode, and so far it amounts to "Kaguya never talked much and there was always war." The most notable thing about it is that it shows Naruto's world before Kaguya arrived as relatively technologically primitive, instead of going with crazy fan ideas about how the Naruto world is our own world millenia in the future or something like that.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 12, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They are probably gonna try and stretch this series until they can get the Boruto manga(if that does well anyway, it probably won't...) in the same time slot.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
More thoughts on the episode:

The backstory does at least justify actually calling her Kaguya, as opposed to the Kaguya in the manga, who's really just Eve. In the manga the only connection was being a rabbitty-looking alien (not even from the moon; her son created the moon!).

rear end in a top hat rapist villain is super cliched but, weirdly enough, I think this is the first time we've gotten a character like him in Naruto, maybe even in filler.

Edit: Finished the episode. While the tragedy is pretty contrived, and Kaguya's lack of emoting doesn't help, I did feel a little sorry for her. The "make war for peace!" stuff makes somewhat more sense if she's personally seen appeasement turning out badly.

A few things that confused me (but may make more sense when I see The Last and Boruto): Did Kaguya have chakra from the beginning and just got a lot more powerful when she ate the fruit, or was she used some unrelated telekinetic ability inherent to rabbit aliens? How did she instantly figure out how to perform Infinite Tsukuyomi; is it because the fruit gives full knowledge of how to use chakra along with the chakra itself, or because she already knew about what the fruit's power could do? Why was she able to eat the fruit without being instantly killed by the Ten-Tails the way the humans who tried to eat it were? (Maybe it was emitting a poison that only worked on humans?)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 12, 2016

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I dared to check upon the naruto anime again, and with episode 468 seems like the extended backstory "filler" arc of kaguya, the rikudou sage, and indra & ashura are over.

What was really dumb was that Indra at the rikudou sages deathbed just straight up says "gently caress you dad, if i dont get my way im going to reincarnate until i get what i want. Then Ashura is like well gently caress that poo poo then i will reincarnate as well to stop him. Thats the whole explanation we get. Man if reincarnation was so easy why didnt kaguya just do that?

Anyway with that done, the anime could move back into canon and actually get to the finish right?

Haha, no of course not. Next week seems to be a straight up rerun of the "whats behind kakashi's mask" episode.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Captain_duck posted:

I dared to check upon the naruto anime again, and with episode 468 seems like the extended backstory "filler" arc of kaguya, the rikudou sage, and indra & ashura are over.

What was really dumb was that Indra at the rikudou sages deathbed just straight up says "gently caress you dad, if i dont get my way im going to reincarnate until i get what i want. Then Ashura is like well gently caress that poo poo then i will reincarnate as well to stop him. Thats the whole explanation we get. Man if reincarnation was so easy why didnt kaguya just do that?

Anyway with that done, the anime could move back into canon and actually get to the finish right?

Haha, no of course not. Next week seems to be a straight up rerun of the "whats behind kakashi's mask" episode.
Geez, I've given up watching the show until it goes back to canon for like a year now. Think this'll finish before we're all dead or is that a task for the next generation?

I should just play through the recent PS4 game, I heard they essentially animate the ending of the show in it.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Captain_duck posted:

469 is an adaptation of a short manga that Kishimoto drew, so it's canon material. 470 looks like it will finally be going back to the fight.

Also, we finally see Kakashi's face!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

I think the "reincarnation" Asura and Indra do is more empowering people who have similar personalities to them already than complete continuity of consciousness forever.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
In 473 They did it, they finally beat the rabbit lady

Were at chapter 689/700 of the manga now. So close to the ending. Next week looks canon to.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

In 473 They did it, they finally beat the rabbit lady

Were at chapter 689/700 of the manga now. So close to the ending. Next week looks canon to.

Hopefully at this point they'll just continue straight on through the Sasuke fight, after that they'll probably stop for a bit and adapt the light novels as was announced before finally finishing off Shippuden.

Not sure what they'll do after that though as, unless they adapt the Gaiden chapters, Boruto doesn't have nearly enough material yet to justify starting an anime adaption.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Larryb posted:

Hopefully at this point they'll just continue straight on through the Sasuke fight, after that they'll probably stop for a bit and adapt the light novels as was announced before finally finishing off Shippuden.

Not sure what they'll do after that though as, unless they adapt the Gaiden chapters, Boruto doesn't have nearly enough material yet to justify starting an anime adaption.

They're adapting the light novels

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Allarion posted:

They're adapting the light novels

I know that, I was just guessing as to when they would be adapted (after the final Naruto vs Sasuke fight would be the most logical point as I believe most of them are set in the time between then and the last chapter of the manga).

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
I haven't watched this poo poo in forever, and now that it's actually ending, and I'm a bit bored, I feel like catching up. For some reason.

The last episode I have downloaded is 437. The last thing I remember is they're all in the cocoon things in dreamland. Which episodes after that are canon and/or worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Zeph posted:

I haven't watched this poo poo in forever, and now that it's actually ending, and I'm a bit bored, I feel like catching up. For some reason.

The last episode I have downloaded is 437. The last thing I remember is they're all in the cocoon things in dreamland. Which episodes after that are canon and/or worth watching?

451-458(1st half) is a loose adaptation of the Itachi light novels
460-462 is Kaguya's backstory
464-468 is Asura's/Indra's backstory
469 is an adaptation of a "Unmask Kakashi" omake manga.
458(2nd half), 459, 463, 470-473(current) are canon.

Personally I liked the Itachi adaptation. The two backstories were crap though.

• Locked thread