Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kild posted:

instead we got a poise stat that's functionally worthless and vitality that's basically worthless.

What's wrong with vitality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

since poise doesnt matter and defense barely does anything, vitality is only good if you want to dress up in heavy armor

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

In Training posted:

What's wrong with vitality?

Wearing heavy armor doesn't give the old kind of poise so this dude you quoted is saying heavy armor isn't worth it to spend the vitality on

I personally enjoy massive weapons and rolling really fast so sometimes I invest in vitality

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im in the carthus 'combs w/ my enormous vordt hammer, the icy effect is really annoying and clouds the screen but everything is dying in one hit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Wearing heavy armor doesn't give the old kind of poise so this dude you quoted is saying heavy armor isn't worth it to spend the vitality on

I personally enjoy massive weapons and rolling really fast so sometimes I invest in vitality

Ah. But they just put poise into weapon types from what I understand so you'll still need it if you want a giant badass sword and heavy armor. I mean I rarely touch vitality because I've always been a fast roll guy but it still seems valuable to certain builds

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Boomstick Quaid posted:

not just poise, but the defence upgrade from wearing heavier armor is minor. if you're playing fashion souls then its w/e but from an actual gameplay effect it sucks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess coming from Bloodborne where armor was 100% cosmetic I don't mind that as much

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im glad poise is gone because everyone in pvp has to follow the same rules instead of some rear end in a top hat hyper armoring through attacks cause of his numbers, but its lovely that the stat is still advertised to you and equip load is still a thing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

did bb have a dumb stat? DS1 had res, ds2 had adp, and ds3 has vit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kild posted:

BB went lean, it was just health stam and 4 different damage scaling stats. Putting a point into anything raised your defense, so your level became your armor rating

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

In Training posted:

BB went lean, it was just health stam and 4 different damage scaling stats. Putting a point into anything raised your defense, so your level became your armor rating

somenoe buy me a ps4 this souns rad af

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frog Act posted:

somenoe buy me a ps4 this souns rad af

I hope someday you get to experience it, its the best of the series

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

In Training posted:

I hope someday you get to experience it, its the best of the series

i think imma buy one this semester just for BloodBorne. it looks like a $300 game to me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Frog Act posted:

i think imma buy one this semester just for BloodBorne. it looks like a $300 game to me

i did this and have no regrets

Soral
May 30, 2009

In Training posted:

Ah. But they just put poise into weapon types from what I understand so you'll still need it if you want a giant badass sword and heavy armor. I mean I rarely touch vitality because I've always been a fast roll guy but it still seems valuable to certain builds

the only weapons that give you poise are the ones with arts that specifically say they give you poise when you use the art. like unfaltering prayer and perseverance

Soral
May 30, 2009

that said the way poise works now makes it very powerful if you can catch people off guard with it... the sunlight talisman is especially good for slamming sunlight spears point blank into peoples faces with your hyper armour

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Soral posted:

the only weapons that give you poise are the ones with arts that specifically say they give you poise when you use the art. like unfaltering prayer and perseverance

i just meant that bigass weapons give you hyper armor on certain parts of the animation, which isnt exactly what poise is i guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i did this and have no regrets

same here, although i also bought it for fighting games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kild posted:

At launch arcane was pretty bad. literally all the hunters tools cost more bullets to use, had significantly worse base damage, and either scaled less with arcane or didn't scale at all

Soral
May 30, 2009

In Training posted:

i just meant that bigass weapons give you hyper armor on certain parts of the animation, which isnt exactly what poise is i guess.

oh yeah. that isnt exactly hyper armour either though because of the way staggering works in this game. even attacks that have armour you can be staggered out of

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Boomstick Quaid posted:

I hope they find an ice cave to slip the bone fist in

I'll slip a bone fist in ur moms ice cave BITCH

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

DS2 has the best PVP

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yo im crushing poo poo with this DS1 character by just balancing strength and dex pretty much constantly and throwing a few combustions/fireballs in there. i have a magic user too but i keep getting bored w/her

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

did they finally make whips viable in 3? i never had the stats to try em out yet.

the late game fire whip (witch's locks) is great for pyromancers, but the other two suck pretty bad. i still use em in pvp sometimes to goof around, but yeah, i wouldnt call em viable

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

the late game fire whip (witch's locks) is great for pyromancers, but the other two suck pretty bad. i still use em in pvp sometimes to goof around, but yeah, i wouldnt call em viable

There are four whips

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i have $120 in my bank account, i start getting paid again in 5 days, and DS3 is currently $40 on steam. i feel like the subject of a math word problem about making good choices right now

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Boomstick Quaid posted:

There are four whips

oh poo poo

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Boomstick Quaid posted:

There are four whips

they're all bad except witch locks.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i hit lautrec and he did a badass flip off the firelink shrine and died, lmao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

just found an area i had never discovered in my first playthrough, a big cool hollow tree by blighttown. it was behind two invisible walls which is pretty hilarious, i'm glad i thought to smack the second one after the chest. got owned by angry mushroom men at the bottom though, i reckon i'll have to go back later

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Frog Act posted:

just found an area i had never discovered in my first playthrough, a big cool hollow tree by blighttown. it was behind two invisible walls which is pretty hilarious, i'm glad i thought to smack the second one after the chest. got owned by angry mushroom men at the bottom though, i reckon i'll have to go back later

Yes definitely go back there

Soral
May 30, 2009

Frog Act posted:

definitely go back once you can warp

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Imagine finding that area for the first time again...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dark souls 2 still has the coolest looking dragon place to me, but maybe thats just because its like the first visually striking area in the game lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

love how ds2 managed to take dragons and make them into "wait for it to very slowly stomp and counter" fights

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

love how ds2 managed to take dragons and make them into "wait for it to very slowly stomp and counter" fights

Especially after how nuts kalameet was

Soral
May 30, 2009

sinh is a cool dragon fight

Soral
May 30, 2009

except it's extremely hosed up that he's resistant to lightning damage instead of weak to it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soral posted:

sinh is a cool dragon fight

its ripped right out of monster hunter and i love it. he spends a little too much time in the air tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

its ripped right out of monster hunter and i love it. he spends a little too much time in the air tho

agreed. i wouldnt care if there was something u could do to control it. hes the only sunken king boss i like anyway

• Locked thread