Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Not really a full cosplay quite yet but my kebab is done! I managed to royally gently caress up and sand off my entire left index fingerprint finishing this fucker off so I'm pretty happy it came out well in the end. I'll post pictures with my Atom Cats gear once I have them. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You're not going with the gastank backpack?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Not for now at least, it's supposed to be my easy to wear costume and the gas tank would hide my lovely patch

e.

e2. Does the 4 one even use a tank? The concept art I used most heavily indicates it doesn't need it like the 3 one did

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Aug 25, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That's a really lovely patch and kebab.

Is that from Fallout, by the way? I never played that series.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDisk posted:

That's a really lovely patch and kebab.

Is that from Fallout, by the way? I never played that series.

Yep, Fallout 4! I'm planning armor to go with it too but I'll probably build that over the winter when I can't play as much Pokemon Go :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McPantserton posted:

Not for now at least, it's supposed to be my easy to wear costume and the gas tank would hide my lovely patch

e.

e2. Does the 4 one even use a tank? The concept art I used most heavily indicates it doesn't need it like the 3 one did

yeah the 4 Shishkebab just has the tank on the blade

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Looks awesome.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

McPantserton posted:

Not really a full cosplay quite yet but my kebab is done! I managed to royally gently caress up and sand off my entire left index fingerprint finishing this fucker off so I'm pretty happy it came out well in the end. I'll post pictures with my Atom Cats gear once I have them. :D

I need to bring that to my next meeting. You can bet people would stick to the agenda.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

McPantserton posted:

I managed to royally gently caress up and sand off my entire left index fingerprint

Oh no! Do you not wear something like these : https://www.amazon.com/LiviMate-Resistant-Protection-Comfortable-Performance/dp/B00QV05CB0/

After seeing what Nigri did to her fingers making Deathwing I picked up a pair before even going near a belt sander. They're great, you still have all the dexterity but they're basically invincible!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

jmistajay posted:

Oh no! Do you not wear something like these : https://www.amazon.com/LiviMate-Resistant-Protection-Comfortable-Performance/dp/B00QV05CB0/

After seeing what Nigri did to her fingers making Deathwing I picked up a pair before even going near a belt sander. They're great, you still have all the dexterity but they're basically invincible!

Normally I don't sand like a dumbass but I was in a rush. I'm definitely going to pick up a pair now. Fortunately it's not a serious or especially painful injury, just really nasty looking!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I wear something like that whenever I use a mandolin for cooking, because gently caress mandolins.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jmistajay posted:

No no no... Do not EVER wear gloves while working with rapidly spinning power tools. Please.

If you stick your bare finger on the sanding disk, you lose some skin. If your glove gets caught in the sanding disk... umm... just Google image search 'de-gloving'.

Those cut resistant gloves are designed for working with sharp hand tools like chisels or razor blades, not for power tools which will grab the glove and ruin your entire hand or worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do not look up degloving.

The glove part doesn't mean the actual glove.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

*wonk*

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The Locator posted:

No no no... Do not EVER wear gloves while working with rapidly spinning power tools. Please.

If you stick your bare finger on the sanding disk, you lose some skin. If your glove gets caught in the sanding disk... umm... just Google image search 'de-gloving'.

Those cut resistant gloves are designed for working with sharp hand tools like chisels or razor blades, not for power tools which will grab the glove and ruin your entire hand or worse.

"De-gloving" is misleading in this context, because it does not refer to the power tool removing your glove. It refers to it removing your skin.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Think of it this way: that's one less print the cops'll have to pin the murders on you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ShadeofBlue posted:

"De-gloving" is misleading in this context, because it does not refer to the power tool removing your glove. It refers to it removing your skin.

I apologize if I didn't make that completely clear. Wearing gloves when working with spinning power tools is insanely dangerous and I didn't want to see anyone here have to deal with that thinking that wearing those gloves while working with a belt or disc sander was a good idea.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The Locator posted:

I apologize if I didn't make that completely clear. Wearing gloves when working with spinning power tools is insanely dangerous and I didn't want to see anyone here have to deal with that thinking that wearing those gloves while working with a belt or disc sander was a good idea.

Just think of how good their Furiosa cosplay could be, though!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Or they can recreate that scene from Terminator 2 where Arnold proves that he's a robot.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

The Locator posted:

I kinda feel like this is a case of you and I just talking about totally different kinds of power tools, but I'm not gonna die on the "you won't get de-gloved doing this" hill. I rescind my advice. The particular stationary belt-sander and set of gloves I use I'm confident I won't end up with anything loose catching in rotating parts, however I can't speak for all tools, so use at your own risk.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
"I know what I'm doing with this tool so I'll be fine." - literally everyone who ignored proper safety and then got messed up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

McPantserton posted:

e.

Looks cool, but is this just for taking pictures with? I don't know what convention policies are like but that looks like a giant pointy piece of metal to me and some people might not be happy to see you carrying it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It might just be really convincing soft foam rubber but it looks like an actual katana with actual big heavy tubes and tanks and poo poo on it.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

sunday at work posted:

"I know what I'm doing with this tool so I'll be fine." - literally everyone who ignored proper safety and then got messed up.

This.

Also, remove all watches, dangle-y jewelry, etc., you dumb rear end.

Spend some time being entertained in the OSHA thread and reflect on how you are living your life.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

starkebn posted:

Looks cool, but is this just for taking pictures with? I don't know what convention policies are like but that looks like a giant pointy piece of metal to me and some people might not be happy to see you carrying it.
It's mostly wood and plastic and I am taking this post as a piece of massive flattery

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is "put a orange tip on it" an actual requirement anywhere? Real guns can look fake, fake guns can look real. Who gives a poo poo if the prop is Scary Real?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Most cons I've been to nowadays have you go through a prop check and then they put a ziptie on it for approval. Prop guns are touchier than poo poo like the kebab and I check on a con by con basis for rules. Like Gamescom this year was literally no weapons but at c2e2 last year nobody cared at all about my StarCraft rifle or Frostmourne

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

McPantserton posted:

e.

That is an excellent patch and shishkebab. Please post videos of yourself wandering cons doing beat versions of the cats' poetry night tapes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

McPantserton posted:

It's mostly wood and plastic and I am taking this post as a piece of massive flattery

good job then :thumbsup:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dutch angle lol.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

McPantserton posted:

Most cons I've been to nowadays have you go through a prop check and then they put a ziptie on it for approval. Prop guns are touchier than poo poo like the kebab and I check on a con by con basis for rules. Like Gamescom this year was literally no weapons but at c2e2 last year nobody cared at all about my StarCraft rifle or Frostmourne

Wait, so if I was to dress up in my old SCA armor and stuff, they wouldn't let me walk around with my sword? That's kind of weak, when was the last time somebody at a con went crazy and started attacking people with a sword?

Edit:

It's a hand & a half broadsword that I designed and had a guy who had actual ability with metal stuff make. I hand made a leather & brass scabbard on a shoulder baldric to carry it.

The Locator has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Aug 26, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Locator posted:

Wait, so if I was to dress up in my old SCA armor and stuff, they wouldn't let me walk around with my sword? That's kind of weak, when was the last time somebody at a con went crazy and started attacking people with a sword?

maybe because they don't let people walk around with swords

:makesuthink:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

starkebn posted:

maybe because they don't let people walk around with swords

:makesuthink:

Dunno, we used to walk around with swords and daggers at conventions and ren-fairs and never attacked anyone, but I haven't gone to anything like this in a long time.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

The Locator posted:

I heard at Gamescom this year they made a Mercy cosplayer take her wings off because they could theoretically be weapons. But I myself have not been to that strict of a convention yet

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

McPantserton posted:

I heard at Gamescom this year they made a Mercy cosplayer take her wings off because they could theoretically be weapons. But I myself have not been to that strict of a convention yet

I don't like this world we are currently living in.

Now get off my lawn damnit!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'm guessing the conventions want to minimise their risk of being blamed if something happens, it sucks but I can see how it's come to it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

People at a local con "peace bonded" Harry potter wands.

I laughed for a good ten minutes about this.

The gently caress folks?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Bigger cons also tend to have to contend with the security policies of one (or more) convention centers and/or hotels and it's often easiest to just not have weapons. Smaller cons tend to have more leeway/be more open to weaponry. As an example, I carried a live steel basket-hilt rapier when I went as Westley to my local con a couple years ago and they just tied a lime green ziptie to it at the security check and asked me nicely not to draw it except outside for photos.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

Bigger cons also tend to have to contend with the security policies of one (or more) convention centers and/or hotels and it's often easiest to just not have weapons. Smaller cons tend to have more leeway/be more open to weaponry. As an example, I carried a live steel basket-hilt rapier when I went as Westley to my local con a couple years ago and they just tied a lime green ziptie to it at the security check and asked me nicely not to draw it except outside for photos.

"insurance purposes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just buy a sword inside, there will be 9 vendors with them per square foot.

• Locked thread