Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Equilibrium posted:

Did you hate it when the Justice League cartoon pushed John Stewart over Kyle Rayner

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least he hasn't said that Mr. Terrific is just a lame excuse at diversity or some such bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyborg is a character given a push to increase the diversity of the DC universe.

Cyborg was chosen for that role because he already was a significant character due to the Teen Titans (comic and cartoon).

Diversity is not a bad thing nor is changing things bad. Doing it in a bad way is dumb (Ted Kord) but that doesn't mean the outcome of that change is inherently bad.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Uh oh someones upset I disrupted their safe space!
Why didn't you ever answer my question about whether or not you're the same American Dracula that used to write for WizardWorld and post listicles like "10 Best Pairs of Titilating Titties on Titular Characters" and poo poo right after they stopped paying contributors but before they completely shut down?

This is a safe space, you can tell us.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Equilibrium posted:

Did you hate it when the Justice League cartoon pushed John Stewart over Kyle Rayner, or Hawkgirl over Aquaman/Hawkman/Zauriel? Did you care that Aqualad was replaced with a black character in Young Justice?

No because they didnt throw out or kill off anyone to do that. It was lame that Hawkgirl was a founding member instead of Aquaman though.

Madkal posted:

At least he hasn't said that Mr. Terrific is just a lame excuse at diversity or some such bullshit.

Thats because Mr.Terrific is boss and was a revival of a Golden Age concept that hadn't been relevant in decades (if ever)

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

No because they didnt throw out or kill off anyone to do that. It was lame that Hawkgirl was a founding member instead of Aquaman though.

You, uh, you do know that Ted Kord was explicitly the protegee of the murdered Dan Garrett, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

You, uh, you do know that Ted Kord was explicitly the protegee of the murdered Dan Garrett, right?

No he doesn't. It's just another in the long line of dumb and uninformed bullshit he spews here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The rest of what he's saying is dumb bullshit, but the Cyborg thing is somewhat accurate-I'd say it's a result of racism more than anything, though. Gotta have one token black guy but also keep Hal the headlining Lantern? Sure, Cyborg I guess. It speaks to DC's lack of representation that he was the most viable candidate.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think Cyborg was a bad choice.

He's just not written as well as he could be. Besides, there are decent alternatives to Cyborg if they wanted to have a black character, it's just that Cyborg is probably the most recognizable to casual readers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's my point, there are technically other black people in the DC universe but their all so obscure that after John Stewart the most popular is someone from a different popular team and who's Batman's sidekick's contemporary. His promotion to Justice League founder was completely inexplicable except for the fact that he's black and DC needed their quota filled.

Which, I feel bears repeating, is indicative of racism and is not me yelling about affirmative action or something

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They could have just made J'onn's human form black.

Clearly I am kidding calm the gently caress down

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's really dumb to me that Cyborg doesn't get a shot at the Justice League until after a reboot removes all the time he spent with the Teen Titans when you could say he's grown up, he's graduating to the big leagues of superheroes. Instead he is a founding member of the League and just goes from zero to icon in an instant. In the old universe the JLA was full of young heroes who grew into a larger role in the DC universe but with Cyborg they waited until all that's wiped clean, removing all the history and relationships that made anyone care about him in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

That's my point, there are technically other black people in the DC universe but their all so obscure that after John Stewart the most popular is someone from a different popular team and who's Batman's sidekick's contemporary. His promotion to Justice League founder was completely inexplicable except for the fact that he's black and DC needed their quota filled.

Which, I feel bears repeating, is indicative of racism and is not me yelling about affirmative action or something

I honestly don't think that John Stewart is because of racism. It's because of nostalgia. Geoff Johns has a hard-on for Hal Jordan and has demonstrated that hard-on eclipses everything else. It isn't about John Stewart being black but him not being Hal Jordan basically.

The fact that they can't actually come up with anything better than Cyborg however is demonstrable proof they, uh, kinda need to diversify or get a loving writer who cares about Cyborg. Like seriously. Get someone a defining Cyborg run or something.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't think that John Stewart is because of racism. It's because of nostalgia. Geoff Johns has a hard-on for Hal Jordan and has demonstrated that hard-on eclipses everything else. It isn't about John Stewart being black but him not being Hal Jordan basically.

Well, putting the spotlight back on Hal happens to sideline the other human lanterns who are four out of five not white, and if that can be called innocent just because it's not intentionally racist is arguable, but either way it's rooted in the classic JLA being all white guys+Wonder Woman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why am I the only one that likes cyborg and thinks he's cool as is?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Anyone read The Six-Pack and Dogwelder thing? It was, to use the vernacular, proper loving good. And most definitely the best comic featuring John Constantine to come out this week. Genuinely loved Starfire.

Really don't like the new Hellblazer, sorry "The Hellblazer" comic. According to Moritat, us Brits live in actual Hobbit-holes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

WickedHate posted:

Well, putting the spotlight back on Hal happens to sideline the other human lanterns who are four out of five not white, and if that can be called innocent just because it's not intentionally racist is arguable, but either way it's rooted in the classic JLA being all white guys+Wonder Woman.

Hal is the only white green lantern. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Why am I the only one that likes cyborg and thinks he's cool as is?

Because Cyborg has literally never had a well-defining run or even a story that is about him anything but tangentially. There's no "go read the Grant Morrison Cyborg run" or "It's an Elseworld but Cyborg: My Soul Is Metal is fantastic" or whatever. He's the Also There guy because they refuse to get a good writer who cares about him.

Mr Hootington posted:

Hal is the only white green lantern. :colbert:

You know something I don't about Guy Gardner.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Shameless posted:

Anyone read The Six-Pack and Dogwelder thing? It was, to use the vernacular, proper loving good. And most definitely the best comic featuring John Constantine to come out this week. Genuinely loved Starfire.

Really don't like the new Hellblazer, sorry "The Hellblazer" comic. According to Moritat, us Brits live in actual Hobbit-holes.

I got a kick out of imagining Starfire's lines in Hynden Walch's voice.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Mr. Terrific should have been a founder but they probably didn't want someone who could upstage Batman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Because Cyborg has literally never had a well-defining run or even a story that is about him anything but tangentially. There's no "go read the Grant Morrison Cyborg run" or "It's an Elseworld but Cyborg: My Soul Is Metal is fantastic" or whatever. He's the Also There guy because they refuse to get a good writer who cares about him.

I watched the Justice League War and Flashpoint movies on Netflix which i thought were terrible but he was the best thing in both of them.

I think the only thing to improve would be to make him a bit more light-hearted and with some swagger, about halfway between where he's at in the comics and where he's at in the cartoon.

Then it's like "Hello here is Cam Newton and also Mega Man"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I watched the Justice League War and Flashpoint movies on Netflix which i thought were terrible but he was the best thing in both of them.

I think the only thing to improve would be to make him a bit more light-hearted and with some swagger, about halfway between where he's at in the comics and where he's at in the cartoon.

Then it's like "Hello here is Cam Newton and also Mega Man"

I would rather they just include Mega Man in the Justice League.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I would rather they just include Mega Man in the Justice League.

Too bad he's in the Archie comics universe

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Madkal posted:

Mr. Terrific should have been a founder but they probably didn't want someone who could upstage Batman.

Like DC would ever let that happen. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mr. Terrific tried to upstage Batman once. Batman warned him if he ever tried that again he would upstage Mr Terrific without even being in the same scene as him.

Sure enough, Mr. Terrific pulls his crap again, wears a V neck outfit really showing off his chest hair, the audience ignoring Batman in an interrogation scene.

Later in the play Batman walks into a room, takes a drinking glass, and puts it halfway off the table and leaves. Mr Terrific walks in to have his scene, a pivotal scene in his arc, mind you, and he's rocking major moose knuckle to really grab your attention, but the audience is ignoring it all. They are rapt with attention for that glass. Is it going to fall? And Mr Terrific can't acknowledge it.

And that's why no one fucks with Batman.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

WickedHate posted:

The rest of what he's saying is dumb bullshit, but the Cyborg thing is somewhat accurate-I'd say it's a result of racism more than anything, though. Gotta have one token black guy but also keep Hal the headlining Lantern? Sure, Cyborg I guess. It speaks to DC's lack of representation that he was the most viable candidate.

Not really. Grant Morrison and Dwayne McDuffie already proved that you can have a diverse Justice League without needing loving cyborg.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's been five years. Please get over Cyborg.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just mock the guy and move on. When you engage in point/counterpoint with ideas like "it's bad to intentionally diversify superhero fiction, especially if a c-lister ~*gets disrespected~* for it", you invite that the idea onto the continuum of reasonable discourse. It clearly doesn't belong there.

When rhetoric like that meets instead with appropriate derision, you can shame them out of normative discourse—which improves not only the discourse, but incrementally progresses culture. It's the Racist Tree principle.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

p.s. backward dracula is a turd and his ideas are fart-thoughts from a mind of poop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please don't poopshame

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

Just mock the guy and move on. When you engage in point/counterpoint with ideas like "it's bad to intentionally diversify superhero fiction, especially if a c-lister ~*gets disrespected~* for it", you invite that the idea onto the continuum of reasonable discourse. It clearly doesn't belong there.

I never said that and I gave several examples (Batwoman, Steel, Ms.Marvel, etc.) where diversity was done right. So stop being an obtuse loving dufus.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alucard Nacerima is actually Annoying Shitface backwards

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ImpAtom posted:

Yes he is part Vuldarian or Irish. Whichever works.

(the smug seamus smilie is gone)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
For the life of me I don't understand why didn't just use Steel in Cyborg's place. He's a good, defined, strong character with a lot of recognizable history; there would be some blather about how he's a Superman legacy fill-in, but it can't possibly outweigh the negatives of a completely unremarkable Cyborg presence for five years.

Or, better yet, use Natasha Irons. In a way she has even less history than Cyborg, but she's got way more personality and identity.

See, that's the thing about DC. There's so much potential in their well of characters and history, but they'll just play it the most generic, uninspired way and drag their feet and soon the competition beats them in the race that they should've been leading all along. Hello, Riri Williams; goodbye, any chance Natasha had at carving out a piece of that pie.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe because I read wolfman's teen titans, but cyborg is a way more legit hero to me than steel is. I thought he was fine in the New 52 jla.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is anyone else on the verge of dropping Wacky Raceland like me? Because I feel like the idea of "Mad Max meets Wacky Races" is super played out (Which is weird, because it shouldn't be, and the cars talking actually adds a lot of character and I even sorta liked the weird if very hamfisted debate about theology as they were racing to open the issue) and I'm already kind of unbelievably bored with the similarly tragic backstories. Also it has a "Character's name is Dick so we're gonna make a bunch of jokes where someone's about to say something lewd or swear with the word 'dick' in it in some way but instead what happens is they're cut off by shouting Dick's name" puns. I hate those.

Also, for something as weirdly specific as what I just wrote "Character's name is Dick so we're gonna make a bunch of jokes where someone's about to say something lewd or swear with the word 'dick' in it in some way but instead what happens is they're cut off by shouting Dick's name" is a pretty common comics joke.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 25, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

BrianWilly posted:

For the life of me I don't understand why didn't just use Steel in Cyborg's place. He's a good, defined, strong character with a lot of recognizable history; there would be some blather about how he's a Superman legacy fill-in, but it can't possibly outweigh the negatives of a completely unremarkable Cyborg presence for five years.

Or, better yet, use Natasha Irons. In a way she has even less history than Cyborg, but she's got way more personality and identity.

See, that's the thing about DC. There's so much potential in their well of characters and history, but they'll just play it the most generic, uninspired way and drag their feet and soon the competition beats them in the race that they should've been leading all along. Hello, Riri Williams; goodbye, any chance Natasha had at carving out a piece of that pie.

I agree with you 100%. I think even Vixen, Black Lightning, or a milestone character would have been better choices than loving Cyborg or better yet how about a BRAND NEW black character. They could have also just had Martian Manhunter use a black secret identity (which I think he did in the cartoon and some of the comics) it's not like there was some huge outcry to make the Justice League more diverse. They could have done it over time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are John, Guy or Kyle in any of the new GL books in a significant way?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't understand why Cyborg is apparently such a terrible choice.

fadam posted:

Are John, Guy or Kyle in any of the new GL books in a significant way?

Guy and John are in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, which is a book I've enjoyed quite a bit thus far. Definitely way better than Green Lanterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I agree with you 100%. I think even Vixen, Black Lightning, or a milestone character would have been better choices than loving Cyborg or better yet how about a BRAND NEW black character. They could have also just had Martian Manhunter use a black secret identity (which I think he did in the cartoon and some of the comics) it's not like there was some huge outcry to make the Justice League more diverse. They could have done it over time.

But the issue was that they were rebooting and needed a black founder for the League, so they felt like they had to go with their most popular (non-Green Lantern) black character instead of a lesser known or brand new one.

Basically, the New 52 was a terrible idea.