Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As long as its not a boneless human leg

With the bone is fine though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just be sure to remove the sock.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Also keep an eye out for any identifying tattoos. Nix those

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just ate this sandwich and wow

nduja
soppressata
pecorino romano
marinated red onion
arugula
oil + vinegar
thyme
on focaccia

Why am I just now discovering njuda? This stuff is amazing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
since your image is broken

thats a hell of a sandwich :eyepop:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Nice! 'Nduja is indeed amazing stuff. (One of my goals for this winter is to work on other spreadable salamis, including non-fiery varieties.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so hearing about nduja i ordered some off amazon. how long will it last in the fridge? forever?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Jose posted:

so hearing about nduja i ordered some off amazon. how long will it last in the fridge? forever?

Why is today the first time in my life I'm hearing about nduja??? Why isn't spreadable salami put on literally everything I buy?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

If you haven't opened it, it will last a very long time in the fridge. Once you open it, I'd eat it within a couple of weeks, I guess. Probably it would last longer, but I'm really conservative about that sort of thing.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Suppose a forum post reminds you that you have leftover risotto, mozzarella and 'nduja in the fridge- what do you do? Make arancini, obviously:

And this is why I don't have a good answer about how long 'nduja will last in the fridge; it always gets eaten...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Take me home, I'm ready.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Suppose a forum post reminds you that you have leftover risotto, mozzarella and 'nduja in the fridge- what do you do? Make arancini, obviously:

And this is why I don't have a good answer about how long 'nduja will last in the fridge; it always gets eaten...

Agagaga :swoon:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If anyone needs a curing fridge, bestbuy/ebay has an 8 bottle cooler for $70.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322234270959?rmvSB=true

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun

Made some duck breast prosciutto thanks to this thread! It's a bit on the salty side, maybe left it in the cure too long or didn't wash it off well enough before hanging, but I'm happy for my first attempt. Now to find a wine to go with it...

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

Made some duck breast prosciutto thanks to this thread! It's a bit on the salty side, maybe left it in the cure too long or didn't wash it off well enough before hanging, but I'm happy for my first attempt. Now to find a wine to go with it...

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Nice! What spices did you use?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Got a hold of some Mangalitza pork belly from a fellow goon. Going to make Kenji's 36 hour sous vide all belly porchetta.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Searching for a place in my home to hang some meat to cure but I don't have the perfect environment. I can choose:

1. Kitchen: ~70°, proper humidity, no direct sunlight

2. Basement: ~60°, low humidity, dark

3. Neither will work and stick to buying cured meat.

The only other places might be a closet but it won't get much airflow.

Thoughts?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

lifts cats over head posted:

Searching for a place in my home to hang some meat to cure but I don't have the perfect environment. I can choose:

1. Kitchen: ~70°, proper humidity, no direct sunlight

2. Basement: ~60°, low humidity, dark

3. Neither will work and stick to buying cured meat.

The only other places might be a closet but it won't get much airflow.

Thoughts?

Craigslist a solid state wine fridge and addo a humidifer. Stuff in closet.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Scored a vinotemp 27 bottle touchscreen model at the dumpster. I got it to turn on but it wasn't cooling. Turned out to be an easy relay/overload fix.

Now to decide what to cure first

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

goodness posted:

Scored a vinotemp 27 bottle touchscreen model at the dumpster. I got it to turn on but it wasn't cooling. Turned out to be an easy relay/overload fix.

Now to decide what to cure first

Pancetta, coppa or lonza are good first projects.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
It's that time of year again but unfortunately due to some extreme cold weather three of the guys are backing out on the Christmas kielbasa production. Looks like it's just going to be myself and one other guy doing it which is ok because I've been wanting to try a few other recipes namely Hungarian style with lots of paprika. Last year we did ~100lbs but I think it'll be ~40 this time since it's just two of us. Going to be a bitch keeping the smoker up to temp though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I found fresh duck breasts locally ($20/lb :monocle: Everywhere else only had frozen) and am going to make some prosciutto this weekend.
I'm torn on flavor profiles and wanted to bounce a few ideas.

My 3 profiles are:
  • Just salt and the dusting of white pepper
  • Dried unsweetened cherries/crystallized ginger/fennel seed/allspice
  • Ginger/star anise/black pepper/fennel seed

Thoughts?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

toplitzin posted:

I found fresh duck breasts locally ($20/lb :monocle: Everywhere else only had frozen) and am going to make some prosciutto this weekend.
I'm torn on flavor profiles and wanted to bounce a few ideas.

My 3 profiles are:
  • Just salt and the dusting of white pepper
  • Dried unsweetened cherries/crystallized ginger/fennel seed/allspice
  • Ginger/star anise/black pepper/fennel seed

Thoughts?

Yes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

EXPERIMENTS

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So it looks like I'm curing one of each breast in bread pans.
I guess I better buy 4 breasts.

I keep my house at around 64 on the thermostat, but don't run a humidifier, should the pantry be ok to hang/cure these guys?

Edit: I also got two pounds of pork belly

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 16, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What temp/humidity do I want my meat hanging area?

: 50-60 F

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 17, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have figured out my Four Flavors Four Ways:

Orange/Ginger/Cherry/Clove

Bay/Rosemary/Thyme/Tarragon

Allspice/Fennel/Cardamom/Coriander

Black/White/Sichuan/Green Pepper

Curing commences tomorrow morning!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

toplitzin posted:

I have figured out my Four Flavors Four Ways:

Orange/Ginger/Cherry/Clove

Bay/Rosemary/Thyme/Tarragon

Allspice/Fennel/Cardamom/Coriander

Black/White/Sichuan/Green Pepper

Curing commences tomorrow morning!

My concern is with the first and last ones. Orange cherry seems like a great idea, but personal experience tells me that the two cancel each other out and take the bite out of citrus and the tang out of cherries. I'd also nix the ginger for now, same problem, it kinda turns the other flavors to mush. And when you're dealing with duck, I find you want to kinda focus on one strong good tang to cut the fat. I'd just go for orange clove, save the cherries for snacking and ginger for stomach aches.

As for the pepper, I personally would pick one and stick with it, you can always add more later. Get a baseline going. Can't go wrong with a nice straight black pepper to cut through a duck.

These are, however, my personal opinions, do whatever the heck you want with my blessings.

The herby ones sound great, go for it. But now I wonder what a nice simple bay and salt wrapped cured duck breast would be like. Fortunately for me, I have two more rear end in a top hat rapist muscovies left on the farm to remove.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 17, 2016

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I'd use very little clove. To me, that overpowers everything else. I agree that the orange and cherry will not work, so I would do orange, ginger and clove. Also, black, Sichuan, and green pepper would be a nice combination. sub the white for black if that's what you are looking for. What about a tiny bit of cumin in the third mix?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Turns out my oranges were poo poo. So it's cherry clove, ginger.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 17, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Pekin duck is defrosting
Wine cooler chilling at 57*

I'm really excited to do this duck prosciutto as my first charcuterie project.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

What should I do with the rest of the duck? Would I be able to get enough fat out of it to confit the legs?

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun

goodness posted:

What should I do with the rest of the duck? Would I be able to get enough fat out of it to confit the legs?

I did a confit using Chef Johns method, it makes confit doable when you don't have tons of duck fat lying around. I threw the wings and any other scraps in there too for Rillettes. Made cracklings with the scraps of skin and got a decent amount of fat from that. And did a stock with the bones. gently caress yea, duck!

https://youtu.be/fwpwqtmKcgc

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So my breasts are down about 20g each so far, so ~10%. i hope they'll hit 30% loss by xmas.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

The humidity in my wine cooler is 20%, I'm in CO so its really dry here. Anything I can do to raise it quick besides a plate of water?

E: I've got it up to 47% now with 2 plates, hopefully it can get to at least 60

ee: These breasts will most likely end up too dry. I'm going to have to get some humidifying equipment for the next run. drat you fresh mountain air.

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 22, 2016

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

toplitzin posted:

So my breasts are down about 20g each so far, so ~10%. i hope they'll hit 30% loss by xmas.

I forgot what thread I was in in for a second and was confused by this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could be a solid r/relationships thread cross-post, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I forgot what thread I was in in for a second and was confused by this.

Same same.

• Locked thread