Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ahhpple posted:

I'd rather have a bad reaper than a good mei on my team

same but a bad anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What happens if Sombra is even edgier than Reaper

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can only hope she is

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I hope that Sombra mercilessly busts on Reaper all the time, just makes fun of him constantly. "The difference between you and me is that I make this look good."

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, this doesn't mean you can't make fun of Reaper for being the edgelordiest edgelord clearly designed to appeal to the what-a-13-year-old-boy-thinks-is-cool demographic, but in a surprising twist it turns out that Reaper as a playable character in Overwatch is actually good.

I feel like Reaper is just so edgy that it goes all the way around and it circles into endearing. Like if Blizzard had only made Reaper a bit edgy it would have been cringy as gently caress, but because its full on ANGELOFDEATH_666 I WILL FEAST ON YOUR SOULS *teleports behind you* "heh, too easy.... DIE DIE DIE" it all just kinda works.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I feel like Reaper is just so edgy that it goes all the way around and it circles into endearing. Like if Blizzard had only made Reaper a bit edgy it would have been cringy as gently caress, but because its full on ANGELOFDEATH_666 I WILL FEAST ON YOUR SOULS *teleports behind you* "heh, too easy.... DIE DIE DIE" it all just kinda works.

I mean they're fully aware of what they're doing. Look at the "cackle" emote they gave him in the patch that's on the PTR

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
LOL I had no idea they also nerfed symmetra on console.

So she's even less useful on console.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

SectumSempra posted:

LOL I had no idea they also nerfed symmetra on console.

So she's even less useful on console.

Nobody who plays on console knows why they did this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they brought the soldier macro nerf to console as well :iiam:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

Nobody who plays on console knows why they did this.

They just tried to nerf all turrets, I guess?

but its the most hilarious thing to do to the most niche and singular use character in the game, with the easiest to destroy turrets.

Just shoot in their general area.

Symmetra has such a cool design and sitting emote.

She doesn't deserve to be so unremarkable.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
winston is the anti-symmetra, more than every other hero that can kill symmetra which is all of them

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

I mean they're fully aware of what they're doing. Look at the "cackle" emote they gave him in the patch that's on the PTR

Yeah, this is a definite part of the appeal to me of Reaper, he's like an 80's Saturday morning cartoon villain which makes perfect sense because Overwatch is basically a Saturday morning cartoon.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

SectumSempra posted:

They just tried to nerf all turrets, I guess?

Yeah, but it cannot be stated enough how much of a non-issue Symmetra was on console pre-nerf. It really wasn't a problem at all. Like, Pharah is a pretty good Torbjorn counter on PC but was terrible on console because of aiming issues (to the point where Torbjorn was a hard counter for Pharah). In general peaking was a nightmare because it took much longer to set up your shots so it made you vulnerable to enemy players and the turret hosed you up pretty well anyways. A Torbjorn nerf on console was totally justified and he still works somewhat on console (though I wish they would up the damage on the turret a little, it sucks that players can just face tank the thing now).

For Symmetra though, she was still getting hard countered by Winston and spam. She wasn't locking down defenses unless you put in a reasonable amount of effort and people weren't stacking Symmetras like they were with Torbjorn so there should not have been a nerf. Unfortunately though, they will probably never revisit the issue and fix Symmetra unless they happen to do a major rehash of the PC Symmetra.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 26, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I strongly suspect that Blizzard doesn't really care that much about Overwatch on console.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

yeah but no one cares about console

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
... Well yeah. :(

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
PTR comp is an upside down world where I say things like "whoever was the good hanzo last round should be hanzo again."

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 26, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Proposition Joe posted:

... Well yeah. :(

If it makes you feel any better Symmetra gets pretty roundly stomped on PC as well, even at full strength.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
We had a Symmetra on our attack team on Anubis earlier and she somehow was able to get behind enemy lines, set up turrets AND a teleporter without them ever noticing her and we proceeded to just wreck the team because they couldn't kill us faster than we'd get back to their point and they didn't notice and destroy the teleporter in time. It honestly won the game for us because before that we hadn't been making much progress in taking the point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they turned down the damage on console because it takes longer to turn around and deal with the turrets. I have the game on ps4 and pc and you're looking at about the same damage in both situations, it's fine. the soldier change was the one that made no sense at all

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Symmetra Q: Would she be better if her teleporters had more health, so you could actually get to it and defend it when it's being attacked? It sucks that they crumple like paper and you can rarely get to them fast enough to save them unless you're actively avoiding helping your team.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

We had a Symmetra on our attack team on Anubis earlier and she somehow was able to get behind enemy lines, set up turrets AND a teleporter without them ever noticing her and we proceeded to just wreck the team because they couldn't kill us faster than we'd get back to their point and they didn't notice and destroy the teleporter in time. It honestly won the game for us because before that we hadn't been making much progress in taking the point.

Yeah, it's not that you can't win a game with a Symmetra on your team, even attack Symmetra, but it usually relies on the other team being too stupid to do anything about it as opposed to "wow this Symmetra player is really good." I like Symmetra, I played a bunch of games with her early on and did good work, but now that people are accustomed to what she can do it's a lot harder to get much out of her because halfway competent flankers will wreck your teleporter and enemies will blow through your turrets faster than you can place them.

Naerasa posted:

Symmetra Q: Would she be better if her teleporters had more health, so you could actually get to it and defend it when it's being attacked? It sucks that they crumple like paper and you can rarely get to them fast enough to save them unless you're actively avoiding helping your team.

She would be better if she continued to accrue ult charge towards a new teleporter even after placing the first one so that if the first dies you aren't stuck having to grind out another.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
I had a game with a Symettra in it on Route 56 attack where they managed to put the teleporter on the payload and we won the game.

That was a good game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

She would be better if she continued to accrue ult charge towards a new teleporter even after placing the first one so that if the first dies you aren't stuck having to grind out another.

it's a good thing she doesn't work like that because it'd be impossible to take a point on offense unless you focus symmetra as hard as you used to have to do for mercy, except symmetra can actually defend herself pretty well

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's a good thing she doesn't work like that because it'd be impossible to take a point on offense unless you focus symmetra as hard as you used to have to do for mercy, except symmetra can actually defend herself pretty well

Have her accumulate 50% then. Give her something else, whatever, because right now Symmetra is the ultimate in feast-or-famine where you either help your team win harder or you get rolled, your stuff gets killed, and then you either switch off after Point A or get yelled at by everyone else on your team.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's because she's slow and bad at killing things unless they let her shoot them for a long time to build up the chainsaw, and even then it's easy to kill her first unless you just aren't paying her any attention. her teleporter is fine and the only reason to ever use her

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

they turned down the damage on console because it takes longer to turn around and deal with the turrets. I have the game on ps4 and pc and you're looking at about the same damage in both situations, it's fine. the soldier change was the one that made no sense at all

You shouldn't be face tanking symmetras turret, they have way lower range.

Just step out of range. they'd only instantly kill tracer before.

They can't do that now.

Everyone approached turrets so stupidly.
I'd always wait for reinhardt to go first, nab the turrets attention and take it down.

it still aims as fast and tanks are still the best people to destroy them.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Macaluso posted:

100% of the times I've encountered an attack Symmetra they've put a troll teleporter on the edge of a cliff. Every. Single. Time. At this point if I see one I just leave and find another game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

You shouldn't be face tanking symmetras turret, they have way lower range.

I don't even know where this is coming from

you don't know the turret is there until you see it, and usually you see it because it's shooting at you or a team mate. you're slower to turn and less accurate on console so it takes a little longer to kill it in the first place. you end up taking about the same amount of damage from them in both scenarios

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't even know where this is coming from

you don't know the turret is there until you see it, and usually you see it because it's shooting at you or a team mate. you're slower to turn and less accurate on console so it takes a little longer to kill it in the first place. you end up taking about the same amount of damage from them in both scenarios

I'm specifically talking about people who are being hit by symmetras turrets and trying to turn around instead of moving out of their range and destroying the 1 Hp turrets from far.

Tbjorns turrets still target faster than you can see them, you are still best off having a tank grab their attention and destroy them :shrug:

Stacking tbjorn is actually still just as effective, it's just that people actually don't mind using his counters now (especially diva)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edmond Dantes posted:

From their ults? Sure; Junk's does 600 damage and D.Va's does 1000. Lucio's ult gives you 500 shield that tick down 100 per second, so D.Va's fucks you up (unless you're Roadhog and Lucio's ult just dropped), and if you're playing a 200HP hero and were a bit low on health or the shields already ticked down a couple seconds Junk's tyre can still get you.

gnome7 posted:

Lucio's ult gives you 500 HP that drain away at 100 HP per second.

The Junk-tire deals 400 damage. If at least 3 seconds have passed since you dropped the beat, your Lucio burst will not save you from it.

The D.Va self destruct deals 1000 damage. If you are not a full HP Roadhog with either Nano-boost or a perfectly timed Lucio ult, you will die if you are hit by this.

Ok, so it's temporary HP, rather than a shield that bursts before death. So it might be effective against like Reaper or Soldier, but not a single high damage burst.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's because she's slow and bad at killing things unless they let her shoot them for a long time to build up the chainsaw, and even then it's easy to kill her first unless you just aren't paying her any attention. her teleporter is fine and the only reason to ever use her

Okay wait, these two things don't seem like they really go together. Either she is good at defending herself or she isn't. I agree that Symmetra's combat strength largely lies in the enemy not paying attention to her for three seconds, which means she's great at killing bads but the moment a team becomes halfway competent and coordinated her effectiveness drops off sharply. Meanwhile that becomes a double issue because a halfway competent and coordinated team is also usually well-equipped to go and kill her teleporter, at which time have to hope that you can fend off their push long enough to build back up to another one or you might as well cash it in and pick someone else.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Okay wait, these two things don't seem like they really go together. Either she is good at defending herself or she isn't. I agree that Symmetra's combat strength largely lies in the enemy not paying attention to her for three seconds, which means she's great at killing bads but the moment a team becomes halfway competent and coordinated her effectiveness drops off sharply. Meanwhile that becomes a double issue because a halfway competent and coordinated team is also usually well-equipped to go and kill her teleporter, at which time have to hope that you can fend off their push long enough to build back up to another one or you might as well cash it in and pick someone else.

they do actually because symmetra isn't fighting to kill people, she's fighting to keep them away from her teleporter. tracer and genji, the two most likely heroes to get behind and deal with it, are pretty bad at dealing with the chainsaw. reaper shits on her, mccree/soldier/pharah outrange her by miles, and she will lose if any of the tanks so much as look at her funny. she can defend herself from the people that are actively looking for her, but in a team fight she's a liability

SectumSempra posted:

I'm specifically talking about people who are being hit by symmetras turrets and trying to turn around instead of moving out of their range and destroying the 1 Hp turrets from far.

Tbjorns turrets still target faster than you can see them, you are still best off having a tank grab their attention and destroy them :shrug:

Stacking tbjorn is actually still just as effective, it's just that people actually don't mind using his counters now (especially diva)

you don't always have the luxury of going that far away and shooting the turrets from where you can see them because, you see, the other team is shooting you. the change is not a big deal. I've played on both and seriously it's not

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rick posted:

Ok, so it's temporary HP, rather than a shield that bursts before death. So it might be effective against like Reaper or Soldier, but not a single high damage burst.

It could help some against junkrat's (which I think has splash damage so you may be able shrug some of that off), but you'd need really good timing if you don't know where it's coming from: too soon and it wears off, too late and it'll murder you/your team.

Wouldn't pop it for D.Va's though. If the enemy team has a Zarya or a Genji I usually just trigger it as soon as I hear the callout.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Symmetra is one of the best at vacuuming up kills on surprised, wounded or highly distracted opponents, but that's about it. If you don't get a highly superior engagement she can't do that much to keep herself alive against people who will fight back.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I've been playing a bit of symmetra recently and I think she could use any or all of the following:
* more range on chainsaw
* faster recharge on turrets
* ult builds while tp is deployed
* can give shields while holding right click

Faster recharge on turrets and a little more chainsaw range would let her hold her own in teamfights because she'd be able to drop a turret and force an enemy to shoot either her or it, which would give her time to chainsaw a bit instead of dying instantly when two people look at her.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What she needs is more ability to, y'know, support. "But support doesn't have to mean healer," someone pedantically remarks, "that's just your narrow conception of what roles mean." Sure, and if she did more than pop out turrets made of eggshells and give out a 25 hitpoint boost by mashing E at the start of the match I might be inclined to agree, but as it is her utility is incredibly low. Simply caving and giving her some form of healing would increase her usefulness, especially since there are still people out there who think "oh we need a support? I'll play Symmetra then, don't worry, I've got this" is a great strategy.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If her turrets recharged faster she could set up a nice no Genji, no tracer zone in any backline

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So if a enemy team in quick play decides to just all be Zarya and a Lucio there's actually nothing you can do but accept defeat huh.

Just got forced into a match like that on the PS4 and it was just Graviton Surge spam while they wigged the hell out with their guns. If you killed one they'd all just come back a second later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Why sometimes does the game make me log in every time but otherwise not?

resistentialism posted:

Symmetra is one of the best at vacuuming up kills on surprised, wounded or highly distracted opponents, but that's about it. If you don't get a highly superior engagement she can't do that much to keep herself alive against people who will fight back.

Erratic running around while keeping the beam connected can do wonders.