Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlazeEmblem posted:

So Chiaki wasn't killed here, so something else will be the thing that kills her. I am starting to wonder, maybe her death, instead of making Izuru one of the Despairs, is what turns him against Junko?

But isn't Izuru still involved with Junko/the Despairs up until DR2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Who would've thought that being the Ultimate Boxer wouldn't be enough to adequately run an organization's security.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Like wow I think that episode made the whole show worth it. I'm very satisfied.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

LostRook posted:

Who would've thought that being the Ultimate Boxer wouldn't be enough to adequately run an organization's security.

Now I'm just imagining a scout returning to Hope's Peak to find it basically in flames. "Guys, guys, I finally found that Ultimate Security Guard you wanted me to fi- oh god damnit."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

LostRook posted:

The SHSL Pikachu died because of this blunder. :argh:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The SHSL Pikachu died because of this blunder. :argh:

It's bad that I laughed at this part a bit because they totally played on the thing of "the big strong scary-looking muscle character" like Sakura, Nidai and Gozu who, despite their appearance, were really kind people, so when the big guy said he was gonna help this girl and then stabbed her I laughed because I didn't see it coming despite being really obvious it was gonna happen.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My first thought when I saw the killing game class was just "haha look at all these characters that didn't make it into the final game". Some where nice though.

Green-haired girl totally loved her some murder though jeez.

Ytlaya posted:

But isn't Izuru still involved with Junko/the Despairs up until DR2?

Only thing really known is that on the boat ride Izuru says "I'm going to use Junko like she used me."

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

BlazeEmblem posted:

So the tragedy that started this whole series was based on a lie. The student council killed each other, and Izuru had nothing to do with it other than defending himself once. Yet, Junko spread that Izuru was responsible for the entire thing, making the reserve class think that they were accomplices to the mass murder. This lie started the riots, which started the next step in Junko's plan.

Yeah, well, that was all established by Zero before. I never really got why people thought Kamukura killed anyone in this specific incident himself.

Regarding the questions about Zero - yes, the student council president (the guy who survived to the end) survived but is in a deep coma. The only timing problem I see here is that Junko still isn't Ryoko, even though that was supposed to be covered up to the school as trauma following discovering the mutual killing crime scene (though, to be honest, it was problematic in the book too - she came up with that plan and asked Matsuda to help her after it was over, and also managed to get the prep school students rioting *and* set up a facility where she brainwashes them by letting them watch the massacre footage in a loop).

Edit: Oh, and the Madarai brothers weren't involved in the mutual killing. They wanted revenge against Junko because they were supposed to be the council president's bodyguards and failed their job.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 25, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

IceBorg posted:

It's bad that I laughed at this part a bit because they totally played on the thing of "the big strong scary-looking muscle character" like Sakura, Nidai and Gozu who, despite their appearance, were really kind people, so when the big guy said he was gonna help this girl and then stabbed her I laughed because I didn't see it coming despite being really obvious it was gonna happen.

Muscleman chucking Pikachu made me laugh.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

We got a whole bunch of names for the student council kids on those video tape labels. Can't wait to see the fandom trying to figure out who's who.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
There's probably going to be some sort of artbook where that information is revelead after the series is over I would think.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My first thought when I saw the killing game class was just "haha look at all these characters that didn't make it into the final game". Some where nice though.

Green-haired girl totally loved her some murder though jeez.

Only thing really known is that on the boat ride Izuru says "I'm going to use Junko like she used me."

The murders hit a disturbing mix of cruelty and over-the-top violence. Very uncomfortable.

As for Izuru, his existence is already a Casus Belli for the Reserve students to revolt. The mutual killings and the subsequent cover-up were the things guaranteed to push them over the edge to full-on public outcry. DR2 stated that he was the one that led the charge in the revolts, but he probably didn't realize the full extent of how much he was being played by Junko.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
It's kind of shocking how much better Side Despair is compared to Side Future

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

It's kind of shocking how much better Side Despair is compared to Side Future

Well, one is dealing with previously established characters for the most part and filling in interesting blanks in the story whereas the other one is a new bunch of lovely goobers (and Grandpa Tengan) along the people from Class 78 who are not as good as Sakura or Fukawa

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol Side Despair sucks too, it just sucks less than future

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just wish the DR2 cast was more important or at least not cut to as much. There's not really a lot going on with them prior to Junko's imminent anime brainwashing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I can't believe this episode had both the gruesome as hell student council murders and also Nagito's rear end

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

New theory: Nanami never died, she's the mastermind behind Future (perhaps along with Chisa)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, the future foundation has to go. the leader is a fascist who kills anyone who disagrees with him. the second in command somehow still believed the kamakura project was a good idea and worth continuing.

i'm rather confused about how none of this is being broadcast, though. showing munakata being munakata to the world would have been enough to topple the organization. it seems likely that whatever the goal of this killing game is, it isn't about the ff as a whole.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serious Frolicking posted:

well, the future foundation has to go. the leader is a fascist who kills anyone who disagrees with him. the second in command somehow still believed the kamakura project was a good idea and worth continuing.

i'm rather confused about how none of this is being broadcast, though. showing munakata being munakata to the world would have been enough to topple the organization. it seems likely that whatever the goal of this killing game is, it isn't about the ff as a whole.

Uh You got them backwards. Tengan is the leader, Munakata is the second in command. Also Tengan does however believe they should have done the project differently which is why he did stuff like try to discourage Hajime from agreeing to take part in it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

orenronen posted:

New theory: Nanami never died, she's the mastermind behind Future (perhaps along with Chisa)

I'm wondering if she was alive when DR2 started and willingly inserted herself into the program to help her classmates recover, instead of being an AI like we think. Or maybe some combination of the two.

I'd like her to still be alive in Future but I can't see any way for that to be possible without her being somehow evil now. Unless she's alive on Jabberwock or something, but that seems highly unlikely.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
There is one last option, we still don't know who the 13th FF Branch Head is, it could be her.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

FPzero posted:

I'm wondering if she was alive when DR2 started and willingly inserted herself into the program to help her classmates recover, instead of being an AI like we think. Or maybe some combination of the two.

I'd like her to still be alive in Future but I can't see any way for that to be possible without her being somehow evil now. Unless she's alive on Jabberwock or something, but that seems highly unlikely.

I could see this whole thing being an attempt by Chiaki to save the 77th by taking out the ff leadership that would want to target the Remnants, without her actually being a remnant herself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uh You got them backwards. Tengan is the leader, Munakata is the second in command. Also Tengan does however believe they should have done the project differently which is why he did stuff like try to discourage Hajime from agreeing to take part in it.

the project was still about wiping someone's mind to cram in every conceivable talent. even if tengan felt bad about having that particular nice kid effectively die to make an uncontrollable, pointless tool, he was still on board with the basic premise.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

orenronen posted:

I think Nanami is alive, but she probably managed to get away from Junko, went into hiding and was assumed dead. Junko probably wouldn't think much of her as a threat if her talent was gaming.

As for Chisa, I think she became a remnant of despair, but it'd be too blunt of a twist to have her be the mastermind as well. They already pulled this twist in DR with "Junko" dying at the start as well. The only way that would work is if she planned everything ahead of time and then killed herself. Not only did Kirigiri examine her corpse, but Munakata stabbed her body as well. The former is enough for me since it would be a huge discredit to Kirigiri's talent if she couldn't tell that Chisa faked her death.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 26, 2016

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

LostRook posted:

I could see this whole thing being an attempt by Chiaki to save the 77th by taking out the ff leadership that would want to target the Remnants, without her actually being a remnant herself.

Maybe this ends with Nanami and Hinata living next door to each other in prison cells, playing portable games over IR while the rest of the gang lives out life peacefully on Jabberwock

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figure nanami has to be dead because she wouldn't have given up on her friends otherwise

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
on the other hand blah blah despair, so she could just as easily be evil now for no particular reason

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

lotus circle posted:

As for Chisa, I think she became a remnant of despair, but it'd be too blunt of a twist to have her be the mastermind as well. They already pulled this twist in DR with "Junko" dying at the start as well. The only way that would work is if she planned everything ahead of time and then killed herself. Not only did Kirigiri examine her corpse, but Munakata stabbed her body as well. The former is enough for me since it would be a huge discredit to Kirigiri's talent if she couldn't tell that Chisa faked her death.

Kirigiri has been examining a lot of bodies and always has that "I found something important that I'm not going to tell anyone just yet" vibe about her afterwards. There's something fishy going on with Chisa's death, whatever it turns out to be.

Hell, they could all be inside a computer VR simulation again. We know that technology exists, after all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i just want to know more forbidden actions

i'm assuming kirigiri's is being unable to actually explain what the hell is going on

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

i just want to know more forbidden actions

i'm assuming kirigiri's is being unable to actually explain what the hell is going on

that wouldn't be much of a restriction at all.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Hmm, Japanese boards are doing hard speculation because a line Chisa said a while back is repeated word for word by Junko: "失われた青春を取り戻すのよ!" (not sure what it was translated to, but something like "Let's take back (our) youth that disappeared!", to be horribly literal) . This is too specific to be a coincidence, I agree.

Edit: Of course, it could just be for thematic reasons rather than for plot ones.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

THE SHOCKING TRUTH BEHIND SHSL ANALYTIC POWERS REVEALED

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

orenronen posted:

Kirigiri has been examining a lot of bodies and always has that "I found something important that I'm not going to tell anyone just yet" vibe about her afterwards. There's something fishy going on with Chisa's death, whatever it turns out to be.

Hell, they could all be inside a computer VR simulation again. We know that technology exists, after all.

Kyoko: I have an announcement to make. Everyone is still alive, and have been faking their deaths to get Munakata to snap so we can kick him out. Because he's a dick.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

https://twitter.com/kazkodaka/status/768828008949882880
Translated:
https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/768980055649165312

I knew it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I could do without that kind of Hope, thank you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Someone should introduce Izuru to a random number generator. He wouldn't be able to predict it and would just spend the rest of his life endlessly fascinated while pressing the enter key on a computer.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I just wish the DR2 cast was more important or at least not cut to as much. There's not really a lot going on with them prior to Junko's imminent anime brainwashing.

It's gonna be kind of lame if they fall into despair due tot he anime (which seems like what is going to happen). I was hoping for there to be some concrete reason other than magical brainwashing.

I want more post-DR2 Hinata stuff. Hinata is one of my favorite characters and he hasn't had much of a part at all (Izuru in Despair side doesn't really count). I'm also really curious as to how Izuru's talents mesh with Hinata's personality (though if they do it's a bit of a plot hole to begin with, since supposedly the talents couldn't coexist with Hinata's personality/memories).

edit: Actually, the whole premise that Izuru finds despair interesting because it's unpredictable or whatever seems like it would actually be the opposite of reality. People who are experiencing emotions like fear or despair are more predictable, not less. There are a million things more difficult to predict than the way someone might react to despair.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 26, 2016

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
Aren't computer incapable of being truly random and number generators are only pseudorandom. So he'd probably predict those too.

Serious Frolicking posted:

the project was still about wiping someone's mind to cram in every conceivable talent. even if tengan felt bad about having that particular nice kid effectively die to make an uncontrollable, pointless tool, he was still on board with the basic premise.

They didn't plan on wiping his mind. He just kept freaking the gently caress out whenever he woke up so they did that to make him stop.
I think Tengen meant he supported the idea of making someone super talented and did not support panicked mind wipes of coerced students because it didn't plan out.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It's gonna be kind of lame if they fall into despair due tot he anime (which seems like what is going to happen). I was hoping for there to be some concrete reason other than magical brainwashing.

Especially since one of the more interesting aspects of the Remnants is that it was implied they actively chose to do all the horrible poo poo they did.

And instead of it being a gray area if Naegi was in the right to hide known murderers, or if the FF (and the victims of the incident) are right to want to see the Remnants pay for their crimes, it instead places Naegi 100% in the right and the Foundation as wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Well, to be fair I don't think anyone can truly be blamed for whatever they do post-Junko manipulation. If it was really due to some personal failing, you wouldn't see the entire class commit the crimes (or at least it would be highly improbable that all of them just randomly have a great potential for evil).

Slokir posted:

Aren't computer incapable of being truly random and number generators are only pseudorandom. So he'd probably predict those too.

Maybe, I forget exactly how they work (I want to say something involving modulus?); I think that it takes some number (like the time) as a "seed" and then does stuff with that number, but I don't know if it's possible to infer given just the end result and starting number.

• Locked thread