Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

I got the email, then I got the interface mess in front of my eyes after I checked OneNote. First time I launched it. Then I checked what the hell was going on, got none of the wiser, and posted angrily on SA to rant.

I'm not lying, you're just wrong.

No, the email only gets sent when you've opened and used it before. Not sure why you're trying to put the order backwards, other than your apparent desire to get mad at Microsoft?

Every other place online I've looked, people asking about why they got the email end up mentioning they did indeed launch onenote before they got the email. There's no reason to believe Microsoft decided to gently caress with you specifically by sending a preemptive message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

No, the email only gets sent when you've opened and used it before. Not sure why you're trying to put the order backwards, other than your apparent desire to get mad at Microsoft?

Every other place online I've looked, people asking about why they got the email end up mentioning they did indeed launch onenote before they got the email. There's no reason to believe Microsoft decided to gently caress with you specifically by sending a preemptive message.

Except that I'm not lying, I'm actually telling you what happened.

I got the email, out of nowhere. I was playing a videogame, relaxing. I had never launched OneNote. Deliberately, anyway.

I went "what the hell", launched OneNote, saw there was a notebook - as "[name]'s Notebook", where [name] is the fake name I use as the public name for that Microsoft account.

Then I went to the Microsoft account management page, and checked it - no new devices, no unusual logins.

My account password is a jumble of random nonsense - deliberately - and where it's possible my computer has malware, given all it has installed are VLC, Steam, Firefox, Chrome and whatever I've installed through Steam, I find that unlikely at best. Maybe I launched OneNote last night - I was pretty drunk, I have no clue - but that'd have been at least 18 hours before the email arrived.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Onenote is the industry standard for anyone who actually uses note taking professionally.

Evernote is the one you use if you're a hipster taking notes for whatever those space-wasters do on their Macbooks in coffee shops.

Your weird rant about it is one of the dumbest things this thread has spawned, and it once spent 10 pages working out if oem=oem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

Except that I'm not lying, I'm actually telling you what happened.

I got the email, out of nowhere. I was playing a videogame, relaxing. I had never launched OneNote. Deliberately, anyway.

I went "what the hell", launched OneNote, saw there was a notebook - as "[name]'s Notebook", where [name] is the fake name I use as the public name for that Microsoft account.

Then I went to the Microsoft account management page, and checked it - no new devices, no unusual logins.

My account password is a jumble of random nonsense - deliberately - and where it's possible my computer has malware, given all it has installed are VLC, Steam, Firefox, Chrome and whatever I've installed through Steam, I find that unlikely at best. Maybe I launched OneNote last night - I was pretty drunk, I have no clue - but that'd have been at least 18 hours before the email arrived.

So you finally admitted you used it once before. Mystery has been solved, that caused it, and it didn't send out an email immediately.

In my test setup, it took well over 20 minutes before an email showed up to my test account email.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

So you finally admitted you used it once before. Mystery has been solved, that caused it, and it didn't send out an email immediately.

In my test setup, it took well over 20 minutes before an email showed up to my test account email.

I don't know if I've used it before. I DO know I've never gone through a tutorial or created a notebook. I may have launched it through fat fingering, that isn't unusual.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't know if I've used it before. I DO know I've never gone through a tutorial or created a notebook. I may have launched it through fat fingering, that isn't unusual.

And just to make that absolutely clear: If it requires me to do anything other than hit "X" at the corner whenever I launch, I have never done that.

I have however used Cortana and hosed around those settings.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And just to explain why I'm doing this - because you, fishmech, are the one person obsessive enough to help me figure out what the hell happened.

I fat finger things in the start menu... quite a lot, especially as I tend to try to search for poo poo and end up launching something or other by just typing fast and hitting enter because I'm drunk and angry.

Anything I could have fat fingered to cause that behavior? I remember what I think was an UWP app popping up... but I hit X as soon as it did, because gently caress that, I was looking for... I don't have any clue.

The Hangover 4: With Fishmech.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
You guys are arguing with someone whose actual username is "endlessmonotony."

Take a step back for a moment.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

xamphear posted:

You guys are arguing with someone whose actual username is "endlessmonotony."

Take a step back for a moment.

Check out fishmech's SAclopedia entry. Nobody I'm arguing with here is innocent, except maybe hooah. Sorry hooah, I shouldn't angrypost.

Also y'know that nick was from back when my brain damage left me unable to do much more than play bad MMO games. They've fixed it now. Mostly. I wasn't actually drunk yesterday, I was actually having sequelae from the injuries left over from the brain surgery which cause me to be on a hair trigger because pain, and also have the coordination/patience/focus of an especially drunk coder.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Holy poo poo no one cares

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I too got a OneNote mail today, and it was to tell me that my notebook that I created a year ago and never used was "ready". I assume that Microsoft wanted to remind me that it existed and told Inbox to file mails from the OneNote team into the Promos category so that I can better ignore them from now on. Welp, that's my OneNote mail story.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I just hit the power button (set to put the computer to sleep), and not five minutes later it woke itself back up. powercfg -lastwake just says the power button was the reason for the most recent wake. What the hell is going on?

Now that that mess might finally be over, can anyone help with this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

endlessmonotony posted:

There is no "tutorial" and creating a notebook just involves opening it for a single time and doing anything at all inside it. You clearly did this, because you got the email, it's really that simple. Your complaints are paranoid and bizarre, but I guess are because of:

endlessmonotony posted:

my brain damage

You could have saved us all the trouble and just mentioned that at the start of your strange rants.

hooah posted:

Now that that mess might finally be over, can anyone help with this?

Might your power button be sticking or something? Try cleaning it out if you can, to see if that prevents it from happening. Also, if you have one of those computers with power/sleep/etc keys on the keyboard, that might be getting hit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

endlessmonotony posted:

Psst, as I said earlier - I don't actually think he's a bitcoiner, bitcoiner's just now a crazy catchall for "weird about technology, avoid".

It's you: you're the buttcoiner.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Username loving delivers.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Anyone with the anniversary update and a USB mic(perferably something by Blue as that's what I have) want to check something out for me?

Go into the recording devices and properties for your mic, go to the levels tab, and you should be able to right click to change it to show levels by dB instead of percent. What value does it show when it is all the way to the right 100%? Back in 7 it would be either 22 or 30,31? dB. In 10, that same amount is only giving about 14dB, which leads to a quiet mic. Usable but much quieter than a setup with either deidcated drivers or using the Line-In. There's also not the usual "Mic Boost" like you see in the built in mic port

Blue Snowball uses usbaudio.sys and other stock MS drivers, these were apparently part of the rewrite for 10

I'm expecting it to be the same, but just curious due to the sheer number of changes to internals in this SP update

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Anyone with the anniversary update and a USB mic(perferably something by Blue as that's what I have) want to check something out for me?

Go into the recording devices and properties for your mic, go to the levels tab, and you should be able to right click to change it to show levels by dB instead of percent. What value does it show when it is all the way to the right 100%? Back in 7 it would be either 22 or 30,31? dB. In 10, that same amount is only giving about 14dB, which leads to a quiet mic. Usable but much quieter than a setup with either deidcated drivers or using the Line-In. There's also not the usual "Mic Boost" like you see in the built in mic port

Blue Snowball uses usbaudio.sys and other stock MS drivers, these were apparently part of the rewrite for 10

I'm expecting it to be the same, but just curious due to the sheer number of changes to internals in this SP update

Blue Snowball and it shows +14 for me as well.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I've linked my Win 10 to a Microsoft account, now it's good to go for changing out the motherboard/cpu/ram?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Carecat posted:

I've linked my Win 10 to a Microsoft account, now it's good to go for changing out the motherboard/cpu/ram?

Maybe? You can be the guinea pig.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Samson Go Mic (USB) and it tops off at 22dB, and doesn't use it's own drivers.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Generic Logitech USB Desktop Microphone ($20 from 2012) using USBAUDIO.sys. Maxes out at +20db. It actually ranges from -58db (0%) to +20db (100%) and hits 0db at 57%.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've seen this exact thing with that exact mic posted in one of these threads before, way, way before the anniversary update. Weeks, maybe months ago.

You're not alone at least, but I think there is gently caress all you can do about it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A similar (Logitech) usb mic volume thing happened to me back in the time of Windows 7. Switching it to a different USB port may have restored full volume to it for a while, but I couldn't reproduce that when it eventually happened again. :iiam:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

Might your power button be sticking or something? Try cleaning it out if you can, to see if that prevents it from happening. Also, if you have one of those computers with power/sleep/etc keys on the keyboard, that might be getting hit.

No such keys on the keyboard, but do you mean just taking some compressed air to the button and surrounds?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

No such keys on the keyboard, but do you mean just taking some compressed air to the button and surrounds?

Yes, or popping it off if you think you can do that without breaking it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

I'm sorry if it's been asked before but is there a way to bring back old (Win 7) desktop gadgets? I have recently upgraded to Win 10 and miss my clocks, calendar, stock price tracker, RSS feed headers and various hardware monitors (CPU and GPU load/temperature, network use, etc.)

Thanks.

I felt the same way and found 8Gadgetpack works very well with Win8, 8.1 and early builds of Win10 - the app itself works fine with the Anniversary Edition but some of the gadgets don't, particularly those that monitor network stuff.

Caveats: 1) running a bunch of gadgets noticeably slows down boot time with spinny discs, but with an SSD, it's barely noticable. 2) as someone else mentioned, it drills down deeply into your OS, so security is a concern; that said, I've run it on four desktops for the last couple years without any issue. But if it ends being a long con that adds your machine to a botnet, please don't blame me.
3) Large OS updates will remove it and you'll have to reinstall, but it's quick to do so.

The author keeps it updated well, I think the current version is 20.0, and it comes with a bunch of popular gadgets.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 26, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Something in the most recent tuesday update completely hosed my poo poo. Cortana is busted and spamming the event log with "Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified." every time I open the start menu. Of course that also means search / type in start menu is not working as well.

A number of the other built-in UWP apps were producing errors in the log as well, saying they couldn't start their background processes. So the live tiles in the start menu weren't working, and mail wasn't checking / notifying new emails, etc. All of those things had updates ready in the windows Store, so I figured I'd try that. Bam, all the updates fail. Now every single one of those is blacked out on the start menu, with a message to contact my system administrator to reinstall them.

So anyways I'm starting to agree with the people who say Windows 10 is a garbage fire, and it's completely about this part:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/kindle-crashes-and-broken-powershell-something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

At this point I may disable windows update service, because honestly I'm not seeing the advantage here. Why bother protecting myself from being owned by script kiddies, when the average weekly security update is gonna own me just as badly?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

isndl posted:

Probably the only real solution, but I'm like a year out of warranty and a new Type Cover is pretty steep. I can probably work around the issue by disabling automatic screenshot pushing in OneDrive anyways.

Find me a mechanical keyboard as portable as the Type Cover for use with a Surface Pro and I'll do it. :allears:

I've got an old type cover 3 if you're interested in buying it for cheap. It's a warranty swapped one that I only used for a few months before upgrading to the one with the fingerprint reader.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Klyith posted:

Something in the most recent tuesday update completely hosed my poo poo. Cortana is busted and spamming the event log with "Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified." every time I open the start menu. Of course that also means search / type in start menu is not working as well.

A number of the other built-in UWP apps were producing errors in the log as well, saying they couldn't start their background processes. So the live tiles in the start menu weren't working, and mail wasn't checking / notifying new emails, etc. All of those things had updates ready in the windows Store, so I figured I'd try that. Bam, all the updates fail. Now every single one of those is blacked out on the start menu, with a message to contact my system administrator to reinstall them.

So anyways I'm starting to agree with the people who say Windows 10 is a garbage fire, and it's completely about this part:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/kindle-crashes-and-broken-powershell-something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

At this point I may disable windows update service, because honestly I'm not seeing the advantage here. Why bother protecting myself from being owned by script kiddies, when the average weekly security update is gonna own me just as badly?

Go back in the event viewer to when store things stop breaking. See if anything changed around that time. Try to remember what you did around that time. Not necessarily your fault, could have been something you thought was innocuous or that straight-up shouldn't have been a problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Go back in the event viewer to when store things stop breaking. See if anything changed around that time. Try to remember what you did around that time. Not necessarily your fault, could have been something you thought was innocuous or that straight-up shouldn't have been a problem.

Well, it was my fault. In a way. Cortana started spewing events every time I open the start menu on the 24th, which is why I pinned blame on the most recent update. I hadn't done anything on the 24th other than receive the tuesday patch.

But I resolved both of them with the powershell thing to re-register manifests, or whatever it is that this command is doing
code:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Add-AppxPackage -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode
and that led me to the real problem: the first time I ran that it errored out, but gave me the actually useful error message that it couldn't complete an operation with windows firewall. I had the windows firewall service disabled.

Why did I have windows firewall service disabled? Because it sometimes turns itself back on despite having set it to be off on private networks, and that breaks my shares. I guess now I have to decide between 2 ways my computer can be broken, because MS decided to turn the firewall into critical system infrastructure for some goddamn reason. Yaaaay!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
How can I make it so that the default view of a search done in explorer or a file open box is Details mode? For whatever reason, since the Anniversary Update it's defaulting to "content" view.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

How can I make it so that the default view of a search done in explorer or a file open box is Details mode? For whatever reason, since the Anniversary Update it's defaulting to "content" view.

Open explorer to a folder you want to see in Details. Go to View and click "Details" in the Layout tab. (If it's currently in Detail, click small icons or something and then click Details again). Then click on the Options button to the right. Go to the View tab and click "Apply to all Folders".

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any way to not have a random string of numbers show up as a hyperlink in Edge that windows wants me to find a dialing app for?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Arsten posted:

Open explorer to a folder you want to see in Details. Go to View and click "Details" in the Layout tab. (If it's currently in Detail, click small icons or something and then click Details again). Then click on the Options button to the right. Go to the View tab and click "Apply to all Folders".

This works for the Folder itself, just like it has since 7 (Vista?).

I haven't found any way to default Search Results back to Details. The "Apply to all folders" button is greyed out if you pop that dialog open while in search results.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xamphear posted:

This works for the Folder itself, just like it has since 7 (Vista?).

I haven't found any way to default Search Results back to Details. The "Apply to all folders" button is greyed out if you pop that dialog open while in search results.

Yeah that's what happened when I tried it. I wouldn't mind the Content view so much if it were possible to change what it displayed in the view.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

Yeah that's what happened when I tried it. I wouldn't mind the Content view so much if it were possible to change what it displayed in the view.

Sorry, I missed the search folder part of that.

You can't set the search results as far as I know.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Klyith posted:

Why did I have windows firewall service disabled? Because it sometimes turns itself back on despite having set it to be off on private networks, and that breaks my shares. I guess now I have to decide between 2 ways my computer can be broken, because MS decided to turn the firewall into critical system infrastructure for some goddamn reason. Yaaaay!
Make an Allow All rule for inbound outbound traffic and just leave it on. You'll have the same behavior as with it turned off but Microsoft won't interfere for your own good.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Ghostlight posted:

Make an Allow All rule for inbound outbound traffic and just leave it on. You'll have the same behavior as with it turned off but Microsoft won't interfere for your own good.

Or you could just make a rule (or even just enable one!) that allows for the right service to be allowed. Windows firewall is a good thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

Yes, or popping it off if you think you can do that without breaking it.

I didn't see any way to pop it off, but I blew it out as well as I could, and it hasn't made a difference. Anything else I should check?

Also, I turned off requiring a password for my account using netplwiz. That works correctly when I boot the computer, but when it wakes up, I have to type my password again. Is some way to make it so I never have to enter the password for this computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Kazy posted:

I've got an old type cover 3 if you're interested in buying it for cheap. It's a warranty swapped one that I only used for a few months before upgrading to the one with the fingerprint reader.

Traveling right now so it's hard for me to get a delivery. Thanks for the offer though. :)

In other news, trying to troubleshoot why all the Metro apps are failing, and it seems that application packages no longer have permissions to use the WindowsApps folder. After manually adding that back, the mail app now fails to start instead of crashing after being open for a short time. :confuoot: