Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Pettis is weird because his holes are really glaring. Bad footwork, bad punches, can't get off the cage, can't get off his back. But he's also really confident and dynamic and can just finish dudes all of the sudden. That's probably why he's remained so incomplete for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i think its wrong to say his footwork is bad and his punches are bad. i think itd be better to be specific about who he couldnt get off the cage against. RDA mainly right? I dont really remember that so much. I didnt see the alvarez fight though and I forgot it happened so im guessing its that one

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 26, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

i think its wrong to say his footwork is bad and his punches are bad. i think itd be better to be specific about who he couldnt get off the cage against. RDA mainly right?

RDA, Alvarez, Guida, Melendez. If he can't make guys back off with his strikes he has no answers. He doesn't pivot or circle and ends up being corralled against the cage by everyone who tries. So yeah I would say his footwork is bad.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
He also couldn't get off the cage against Melendez, but that didn't matter because he just killed him anyway

efb

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bundt Cake posted:

i think its wrong to say his footwork is bad and his punches are bad. i think itd be better to be specific about who he couldnt get off the cage against. RDA mainly right? I dont really remember that so much. I didnt see the alvarez fight though and I forgot it happened so im guessing its that one

he spent the entire Alvarez fight looking mildly perplexed against the cage while eddie shoved him. unlike the rda fight where he kept trying to generate offense and got punished for it, he just stood there looking dumb. same with the barboza fight but leg kicks instead of shoving.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i thought it was a good move to go down after the barboza fight. it showed that barboza is better than him at everything he's good at and better in general.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

S'mile 'N' Sam Al' Vey vs. "The New Breed" Kevin Casey is a good undercard fight I didn't know was this week, also

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Another fight I wish I could remember better, or maybe I missed it, was Pettis v Palaszewski. Palaszewski wasn't totally unlike Eddie Alvarez is now. I've always thought Alvarez was going to crash and burn but he went on to win the ufc title, and hes been through serious wars. I always thought he would get KO'd too easily at the top level cuz of how much he got knocked down when he was coming up. but anyway hes been through tons of absolute wars, which Bart had, and tons of experience in fights where they got hurt, and comeback win KO power in late rounds. Palaszewski in the IFL was ridiculous with comeback KO wins.

from the fight recap, Bart had some success wrestling against Pettis, and he also knocked him down in the 3rd.

I think its sad for Bendo he couldn't win against pettis. maybe its because he almost only ever threw kicks

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

handsome only face posted:

S'mile 'N' Sam Al' Vey vs. "The New Breed" Kevin Casey is a good undercard fight I didn't know was this week, also

i like it because sam hits very hard and i like it when kevin casey gets hit very hard but until that actually happens i can't bring myself to look forward to it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

I always thought he would get KO'd too easily at the top level cuz of how much he got knocked down when he was coming up.

suspect chin? go to mark henry.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

RDA, Alvarez, Guida, Melendez. If he can't make guys back off with his strikes he has no answers. He doesn't pivot or circle and ends up being corralled against the cage by everyone who tries. So yeah I would say his footwork is bad.

i dont think not having an answer for 4 guys means his footwork could still be alright. dos ajos was probably roiding like crazy lets be real, rda is not a tough enough fighter to take all those body kicks. I don't know enough about footwork, but I bet Pettis has to make a trade off to land his kicks. Hes got to stop and plant right. I dont think its fair to say hes bad at it because one Brazillian who we all know is mediocre suddenly became unrealistically tough and ate what we know are crippling body shots. Guida I dunno thats a big wrestling gap

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

he spent the entire Alvarez fight looking mildly perplexed against the cage while eddie shoved him. unlike the rda fight where he kept trying to generate offense and got punished for it, he just stood there looking dumb. same with the barboza fight but leg kicks instead of shoving.

i made a point to watch barboza/ pettis cuz its two of my favorites

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I forgot that Barboza showed all those bad habits Pettis has in his striking. He couldn't hit Barboza because he couldn't get into position with his footwork and was just throwing sloppy punches and kicks with no real strategy behind them. Meanwhile Barboza was cutting angles and going to the body and legs constantly and not just hunting for a knockout that was never coming.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I forgot that Barboza showed all those bad habits Pettis has in his striking. He couldn't hit Barboza because he couldn't get into position with his footwork and was just throwing sloppy punches and kicks with no real strategy behind them. Meanwhile Barboza was cutting angles and going to the body and legs constantly and not just hunting for a knockout that was never coming.

yeah I agree thats how he looked against barboza but you said bad, not worse than Barboza

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Pettis' footwork actually is pretty bad, but being a southpaw in the UFC gives you a ton of leeway in that regard. Hes good at setting up his left kick but he doesnt have a ton of power in his hands and once people figured that out it became really easy to back him into the cage. Well actually not that easy because Melendez knew exactly what to do and executed for 1 round but ate a ton of body kicks for it and got choked out. But the blueprint is there

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Barboza... is insanely sick

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His punches couldn't hurt Barboza at all either and then he'd get counter hooked

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

i dont think not having an answer for 4 guys means his footwork could still be alright. dos ajos was probably roiding like crazy lets be real, rda is not a tough enough fighter to take all those body kicks. I don't know enough about footwork, but I bet Pettis has to make a trade off to land his kicks. Hes got to stop and plant right. I dont think its fair to say hes bad at it because one Brazillian who we all know is mediocre suddenly became unrealistically tough and ate what we know are crippling body shots. Guida I dunno thats a big wrestling gap

He kicks from bad angles all the time it just didn't hurt him against dudes like Lauzon and Cerrone who he hurt early and got them to back off.

RDA didn't just all of the sudden become good. He had been improving for years and didn't show any superhuman toughness or cardio. That's a pretty lame argument man.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

manyak posted:

he's my favorite lw.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
RDA did get a lot better under most peoples radar as he got to the title.. he went 10-1 in a 3 year period and his only loss was to Khabib. Its funny though to claim that it was only because of PEDs, and then once USADA started he instantly got KOd and lost his belt.... if the shoe fits.. :hchatter:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

he did look on point right before he got blasted though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

manyak posted:

RDA did get a lot better under most peoples radar as he got to the title.. he went 10-1 in a 3 year period and his only loss was to Khabib. Its funny though to claim that it was only because of PEDs, and then once USADA started he instantly got KOd and lost his belt.... if the shoe fits.. :hchatter:

He beat up Donald Cerrrrrroooooooooone between those two things

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I mean RDA might be on PEDs, but he's also one of the best pressure fighters in the UFC and has a serious insane person mean streak that manifests itself in his fighting.

The beating he put on Pettis is some legendary poo poo and it's actually kind of uncomfortable to look at Pettis in the corner between rounds busted up, shaking, and gasping for air.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
RDA developed all right

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

manyak posted:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

threeagainstfour posted:

I mean RDA might be on PEDs, but he's also one of the best pressure fighters in the UFC and has a serious insane person mean streak that manifests itself in his fighting.

the mean streak is all the testosterone since the guida fight

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

I would say that Alvarez is capable of doing that to just about anyone. RDA also looked fine in that fight until he took that big punch.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

the mean streak is all the testosterone since the guida fight

*contemplative pause*

You're on steroids

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

He beat up Donald Cerrrrrroooooooooone between those two things

Doesnt count because it was for a belt which means Cerrone automatically loses

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I would say that Alvarez is capable of doing that to just about anyone. RDA also looked fine in that fight until he took that big punch.

Yah i agree

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

manyak posted:

Doesnt count because it was for a belt which means Cerrone automatically loses

true true

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

that was actually before Pettis won the belt, it was just the perfect liver shot

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Pettis struck me as someone who's problems are mental. When he controls a fight he's on, but when he isn't or opponents have an answer he visibly fades and loses all confidence.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
pettis to me is basically a less effective tony ferguson. he does really well in scrambles and is successful when he does and throws weird poo poo and catches guys off guard, but pretty tony isn't as good as ugly tony at getting other guys to participate in weird scrambly fights.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

handsome only face posted:

Is that like his 3rd fight in a few months?? That's cool though he has a really stupid fight face and I enjoy to see him get punched. Worst nickname also.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's almost as if stats don't tell the whole story and that watching the fight would be better.

Those numbers are also very unreliable.

Watching fights is a terrible way to get the story of a fight, since fights have no bearing on which fighters are better than each other at fighting.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I think Brian Ortega should fight Yair Rodriguez

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

https://gfycat.com/FabulousUnevenHake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

I am glad I helped some goon make money on this fight by posting lauzon was the underdog in the betting thread

• Locked thread