Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

How do you reconcile 6 months of child abuse and isolation and immediately attempting to do the same thing when you show up after 10 years? I can't see a way to do it that won't be really forced and awkward.

But based on the way they've been handling Azami I think you're right. The way they frame some of the interactions he has (tolerance of a secretary that complains, Azami and Erina seeing they have a common link in Jouichirou) seems intended to humanize him and set something like that up.

If Tsukuda can actually figure out a way to navigate it in a way that's not awful I could see it working out for whatever arcs that come after if Azami sticks around as the now completely reformed, now good headmaster of the school - and has the exact same personality.

E: I'm thinking something like him organizing and ~evilly~ overseeing an international interschool cooking tournament for the ~evil~ benefit of the students. Like a really benign :moreevil:

Making her eat gourmet food and being a dick about it is like kind-of sort-of child abuse.

That said, they've made it pretty clear there's more to his story (particularly involving Jouichirou) than we're told. We certainly haven't seen much if anything out of Jou and Gin with regards to Azami (and I assume we will after the exams end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Azami is only slightly worse than Anthony Carver and Gunnerkrigg Court managed to humanize that guy pretty well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Evil Thing posted:

She'd last a week before running back to Azami after one too many grilled squid with raspberry jam-style "experiments".

You know, squid + "pretty much anything" doesn't really sound gross; it just wouldn't necessarily be good. Squid and octopus are both almost neutral tasting by themselves, almost like tofu if tofu were a meat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Angry Grimace posted:

Making her eat gourmet food and being a dick about it is like kind-of sort-of child abuse.

That said, they've made it pretty clear there's more to his story (particularly involving Jouichirou) than we're told. We certainly haven't seen much if anything out of Jou and Gin with regards to Azami (and I assume we will after the exams end).

Pretty sure he also physically hurt her.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Pretty sure he also physically hurt her.

You know what this guy needs? A good loving decking. Right in the kisser. I had forgotten about that part where he actually physically accosted his own daughter. :mad:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

You know what this guy needs? A good loving decking. Right in the kisser. I had forgotten about that part where he actually physically accosted his own daughter. :mad:

Azami is legitimately the most frightening Shonen villain I can remember seeing because his one actually evil act is something completely real and horrible.

And this happened for 6 months, he really shouldn't come back from that as a character, especially not when the next most awful people have "bullied people into losing their prized knives" and "rigged a couple of Shokugekis" under their belt.

Dude should probably be in jail and the only reason I can think of that not being the case is that Senzaemon brushed everything under the rug when it happened.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 25, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Azami is legitimately the most frightening Shonen villain I can remember seeing because his one actually evil act is something completely real and horrible.

And this happened for 6 months, he really shouldn't come back from that as a character, especially not when the next most awful people have "bullied people into losing their prized knives" and "rigged a couple of Shokugekis" under their belt.

Dude should probably be in jail and the only reason I can think of that not being the case is that Senzaemon brushed everything under the rug when it happened.

In a Hokuto no Ken prequel, a Nazi becomes the main character's friendly rival or something after killing the guy protecting a Jewish girl.

I dunno I stopped freading a long time ago.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There's an announcement for an OVA in this week's SJ, it'll probably air at Jump Festa in November.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/180/1

Speed scans are up, be warned: a large number of bears have been spotted in the area

E: I actually like the set-up for this chapter but I hope there'll be a chance for Soma to bounce around with the group he's part of before the match.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 25, 2016

bondster
May 6, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/180/1

Speed scans are up, be warned: a large number of bears have been spotted in the area

I was down on this arc as a whole, but the appearance of Dojima ( :swoon: ) and bear meat make it a little bit better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think kids' manga editors just get real nervous around themes of parental abuse and it makes things weird sometimes. Anyone who's read the arc for Nagisa's mother in Assassination Classroom would probably agree.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Non-crap version: http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/180/3630/1

Kuga-senpai :syoon:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 25, 2016

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I'm going to call it now and say that Hayama is going to go way overboard on flavoring his dish and remove any trace of the meat's actual taste while Soma is going to preserve it's strong points.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I'm going to call it now and say that Hayama is going to go way overboard on flavoring his dish and remove any trace of the meat's actual taste while Soma is going to preserve it's strong points.

This seems reasonable, I also think Erina either coached or will coach Soma on bear meat and it's applications and that will play a big part in making the difference.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

While I could see this happening, in reality that would make the food flat-out bad, and I really doubt that Hayama is going to produce food that the judges don't enjoy a whole bunch (even if they enjoy it slightly less than Soma's).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Has anyone here ever tried that kind of meat before?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Has anyone here ever tried that kind of meat before?

My dad's eaten it and said it was fantastic, some of the best steaks he's ever had. Didn't ask where he had it or who cooked it, but it was probably something my grandpa killed and prepared himself.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Presumably different kinds of bears would taste different. I doubt your father had Japanese bear.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gao gao!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Unless Hayama is throwing the fight I really don't see this as being likely. Like Hayama's whole thing wasn't that he just used a lot of spices, it's that he uses the perfect amount of spices that complement the dish. And I know Soma has won a lot of his matches due to having a better understanding of the theme than the opponent, but for him to win his revenge match against the dude he's never defeated as a result of Hayama loving up rather than just straight up making a better meal when they're both at the top of their game would be kinda lame.

Anyway, this almost feels like a back to basics where there's a lot of focus on the theme of the match and preparation and training on how to use it. Rather than the set up just being about beating Food Hitlers subordinates to save the school. I'm liking it. Also, Dojima and Kuga were in this chapter and I like them both and am hyped for Dojima's foodgasm, which will hopefully be him wrestling a bear. Good chapter.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I think the more likely thing will be pretty similar, Hayama will do the standard make a really good dish deal and Soma's gonna give us some honey squid gross poo poo that Just Works

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd say that Hayama spices everything exquisitely and it results in a wonderful dish that is at the upper level of the accepted way to prepare bear meat. Soma on the other hand will find a way to better keep the essence of the bear, most likely by using a technique/spice blend that maintains the bear meat's secondary smell kick but knocks it down just enough to be non-detrimental, giving him the edge in a contest on best presenting the essence of bear meat.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So are Megumi, Takumi and Erina just out of the picture for the next 3 days? They're all still at the same location, so is there a chance they'll meet up before the showdown?

E: It's obvious Soma's going to win here but I really do have no idea how and I'm excited for it!

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 26, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except that kind of goes exactly against everything he did with the Saury three-way.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I'd like it if Soma learns some tricks from Kuga and uses spicy and numbing flavors to change the judges sense of taste and smell as a way to get rid of the gaminess.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I expect the focus to be on the numbing flavors rather than the spicy ones, though. That said, I'm not even convinced half of those spices are good ideas. Star anise is a loving nightmare if you accidentally get a whole one in your mouth, but at the same time, if it's not there, you're eating beef soup, not pho.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
He's gonna gently caress the bear meat and as a bunch of idiot foodies, the judges will all love it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

He's gonna gently caress the bear meat and as a bunch of idiot foodies, the judges will all love it

An endless parade of meat.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think Soma will win by making it so the meat forces the judges clothes to explode off their body

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I'm pretty sure even a stale french fry discovered under a car seat would have that effect on most of these characters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I think Soma will win by making it so the meat forces the judges clothes to explode off their body

True power is having the judges keep their clothes on though, Eikishi established that.

Soma will win with this:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

So are Megumi, Takumi and Erina just out of the picture for the next 3 days? They're all still at the same location, so is there a chance they'll meet up before the showdown?

E: It's obvious Soma's going to win here but I really do have no idea how and I'm excited for it!

They're each going to have their own exam most likely

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

True power is having the judges keep their clothes on though, Eikishi established that.

The absolute OP moment was Tadokoro knocking Senzaemon's fundoshi off without him noticing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

They're each going to have their own exam most likely

Sure, but unless they're locked in a box for 3 days each they should have a chance to move around the resort. Erina at least is being coasted and I doubt the exam is a 3 day challenge.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, I'm hoping Soma will have a chance to bounce around and pick up ideas from other people like he usually does, and it's a rare chance for Takumi to get any development.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sure, but unless they're locked in a box for 3 days each they should have a chance to move around the resort. Erina at least is being coasted and I doubt the exam is a 3 day challenge.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, I'm hoping Soma will have a chance to bounce around and pick up ideas from other people like he usually does, and it's a rare chance for Takumi to get any development.

He's going to be bouncing ideas off Kouga and the Chinese Cuisine cult.

Nothing but Bear Hujiao Bing and Mapo Tofu with bear.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

hell,

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

He's going to be bouncing ideas off Kouga and the Chinese Cuisine cult.

Nothing but Bear Hujiao Bing and Mapo Tofu with bear.

I mean Kouga's good and this will make for a good couple of chapters I think but the 'umis haven't had anything substantial happen in 60+ chapters

Did Yugi win the popularity poll or something

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I got the impression that the group was being intentionally separated precisely so they wouldn't be able to bounce ideas off each other. They seemed to be in a hurry to get Megumi and Takumi away from him, at any rate. I have no problem with him relying on Kuga this time around.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm slightly disappointed they didn't have Hayama react as he did in the manga to Yukihira's fish. It was one of the few times he breaks his always serious look to react somewhat comically.

Had a good laugh at them adding in an image of Kojiro from Fate at the tsubame gaeshi reference though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I'm slightly disappointed they didn't have Hayama react as he did in the manga to Yukihira's fish. It was one of the few times he breaks his always serious look to react somewhat comically.

Had a good laugh at them adding in an image of Kojiro from Fate at the tsubame gaeshi reference though.

Wait they didn't cut Hayama and Kurokiba stopping what they were doing to go up and try to peek at Soma's dish behind his back, did they?

E: This series actually has a shitload of Fate references, doesn't it? We have Shirou, Saber, Shirou's about to rematch Archer right now, what else is there?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 27, 2016